DO/MD salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capone2975

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there differences in DO and MD salaries? Also, does the residency location affect salary? Not that salary should but, but just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

capone2975 said:
Are there differences in DO and MD salaries? Also, does the residency location affect salary? Not that salary should but, but just curious.

This question is not new.

Do a search. I think I saw it at least 2 times thus far. The search option is on the bottom of every page.

Search the SDN Forums with Google:

Salary Osteopathic or DO SEARCH

Members don't see this ad :)
capone2975 said:

No, once you are board certified, it is as if your degree was erased, and all that is looked at is your certification.

The exception is that DO's that bill for OMM can actually make extra money.

Salaries for board certified physicians regardless of degree are identical.

Salaries for different residencies vary based on: specialty, PGY year and location.

I just wanted to throw this in. I was looking at Physician jobs in the Pacific Northwest and found a location which specifically excluded DO's. This was a little frustrating since both me and my wife start KCUMB this year and plan to return to the Portland area...

I am hoping it is an isolated case and I know the NW is not exactly DO friendly since we have 2 highly rated allopathic schools in the area.

Aphelion said:
I just wanted to throw this in. I was looking at Physician jobs in the Pacific Northwest and found a location which specifically excluded DO's. This was a little frustrating since both me and my wife start KCUMB this year and plan to return to the Portland area...

I am hoping it is an isolated case and I know the NW is not exactly DO friendly since we have 2 highly rated allopathic schools in the area.

I don't know which program you're referring to, but I do know that we had at least one grad in 2004 from AZCOM go into an IM residency at OHSU. We've also had IM matches at St Vincent's, Providence, and Emanuel/Good Sam in Portland. This should at least offer you some hope.

Here is the link to the 2004 match list. The 2005 match list hasn't been posted yet.

http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/academic/AZCOM/Docs/azcom04Match.pdf

Keep your chin up, and good luck in school!

Cyndi

Aphelion said:
I just wanted to throw this in. I was looking at Physician jobs in the Pacific Northwest and found a location which specifically excluded DO's.

I’m very surprised to hear this, is this legal? I heard of a hospital excluding D.Os, they ended up getting sued, and were forced to change their rules.

frank51 said:
I’m very surprised to hear this, is this legal? I heard of a hospital excluding D.Os, they ended up getting sued, and were forced to change their rules.

Is this true? I guess it doen't matter. If they decide not to hire DOs they would just not invite them for interview or invite them and then refuse them.

The one good thing about them putting this out, DOs won't waste time applying there.

It's totally legal. Look at the ads in the back of JAMA - numerous ones that say "MD required"

(nicedream) said:
It's totally legal. Look at the ads in the back of JAMA - numerous ones that say "MD required"

Many residency programs also have the same stipulation however they do accept osteopathic grads into their programs.

More often than not it is simply a matter of semantics.

JPHazelton said:
Many residency programs also have the same stipulation however they do accept osteopathic grads into their programs.

More often than not it is simply a matter of semantics.

Why not, every AOA residency program excludes MD's from applying?

medic170 said:
Why not, every AOA residency program excludes MD's from applying?

cause medic.. MDs don't practice hocky pocky witch medicine.

OUT OF ALL THE PEOPLE, YOU ARE ASKING THIS QUESTION!!!
You know why so Knock it off :eek:

docbill said:
cause medic.. MDs don't practice hocky pocky witch medicine.

OUT OF ALL THE PEOPLE, YOU ARE ASKING THIS QUESTION!!!
You know why so Knock it off :eek:

Oh Bill, you know I meant no disrespect. It was my indirect way of, once again, voicing my support for a joint match! :thumbup:

medic170 said:
Oh Bill, you know I meant no disrespect. It was my indirect way of, once again, voicing my support for a joint match! :thumbup:

You do realize that with a joint match, MD's will still not be able to match into AOA residencies, right?

OSUdoc08 said:
You do realize that with a joint match, MD's will still not be able to match into AOA residencies, right?

Says who? since there is no joint match, and no complete plan has been agreed on, how do yo uknow how it would be structured. Perhaps all programs would have to be dually accredited, who knows?

medic170 said:
Says who? since there is no joint match, and no complete plan has been agreed on, how do yo uknow how it would be structured. Perhaps all programs would have to be dually accredited, who knows?

A joint match would occur before dual accreditation happens. The student representatives to the AOA are from my school, and I have seen the plans for the dual match.

OSUdoc08 said:
A joint match would occur before dual accreditation happens. The student representatives to the AOA are from my school, and I have seen the plans for the dual match.

"would occur" Oh, ok, sorry, I left my crystal ball at work.

The truth of the matter:

Where you do residency MAY affect your ability to get certain jobs. I say MAY, primarily because a competative group or fellowship may choose the big name resident over the small name resident. That is not to say it is difficult to get a job in any way, just employers like the "big names" it makes them feel secure in the candidate.
There is no difference in pay.
Residencies may pay different from location to location ie U of Ill Peoria pays better than U of Ill Chicago. It is an incentive to fill programs.

Aphelion said:

For every one of these old crusty MD enclaves you find that exclude DO's there are five groups/hospitals that gladly accept DO's. My attitude would be, "thanks, for telling me up front". :sleep:

It's really state-dependent whether hospitals and/or groups can discriminate against DOs.

If you look at the rules and regulations in Texas, hospitals can not exclude DOs just because they are DOs

http://www.tsbme.state.tx.us/rules/mpa/chapter151.htm#151051
§151.051.Discrimination Based on Type of Academic Medical Degree or Certain Religious Tenets Prohibited

(a) A hospital, institution, or program that is licensed by the state, is operated by the state or a political subdivision of the state, or directly or indirectly receives state financial assistance may not differentiate in regard to a person licensed under this subtitle solely on the basis of the academic medical degree held by the person.

As for court cases

"Court decision in Audrain County, MO, established the right of DOs to practice as complete physicians and surgeons in a county hospital."
http://www.studentdoctor.net/do/timeline.asp

"... in 1959 the American Hospital Association (AHA) decided to change its longstanding policy barring joint-or-mixed-staff institution from membership. However, this reversal occurred only after the association became the focus of intense pressure from public hospitals that were being forced by court or legislative action to allow DOs access to their institutions and to give them staff appointments." - Chapter 9, page 143. Gevitz, Norman. The DOs - Osteopathic Medicine in America 2nd ed. John Hopkins Press 2004