Transferring to MD school after the 2nd year of DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Portier

DO me....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this happening at anyone else's school?

What are their reasons for it?

:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

occured once with a DO/PhD student that i know of, because his senior research prof moved to an LCME institution mid-way through his research. can't blame him for this.

Portier said:
Is this happening at anyone else's school?

What are their reasons for it?

:eek:

Who's doing it?

Members don't see this ad :)
So far the reasons have been:

1) My spouse lives in STATE X and I want to be with him/her.
2) I hate my school, it sucks, and I'm going to sue.
3) I wanted to be an MD originally....no more OMM for me.

And finally...Docgeorge won't keep his hands off me in the hallways.

Common Frenchie, you cant deney me one of my few pleasures in life. My day just is'nt complete unless I grope you over by the printer or grab your ass in the cafeteria line.

Oh yeah you aint in the navy no more neither, yelling "YELLOW LIGHT, YELLOW LIGHT" aint gonna help.

At the end of my second year at DMU we had a student transfer to I believe Creighton, I have no idea for what reason.

portier I know of a student who transfered last year (a 3rd year now) at the end.... I heard he took a few classes at said MD school and then the USMLE, but I don't know the reasons for it

and Doc George and both grab portier cause he pretends like he doesn't like it, but deep down it makes him nostalgic for his navy days

Fenrezz said:
Why would anyone bother doing that, when you can do this?

http://www.uhsa.ag/pstudent/four/resdt/program.htm

What would medicine be without the Carribean? :thumbup:

Yeah $25k for an Carribean MD, that will garner you a TON of respect!! HA!

And as far as reasons to transfer how about the AOA has its collective head up iits a$$ and is ruining Osteopathic GME by keeping it there.

Portier said:
So far the reasons have been:

1) My spouse lives in STATE X and I want to be with him/her.
2) I hate my school, it sucks, and I'm going to sue.
3) I wanted to be an MD originally....no more OMM for me.

And finally...Docgeorge won't keep his hands off me in the hallways.

Seems like they just wasted a portion of the last two years attending OMM lectures. I guess they just want to become "little MDs" like the DOs in Cali 30 years ago (more or less).

Fenrezz said:

Hell, I've got 25K sitting around, and having a degree from a school I never set foot on sounds like a good idea.

president said:
president-pic.jpg
president-txt.jpg

Welcome to the University of Health Sciences Antigua. As you are presently in pursuit of Educational Freedom and Diversity, you are bound to encounter battle of the Brands among the institutions, i.e., one medical school is better than the other, just like Anacin pain killer is better than Excedrin pain killer which serves the same purpose. In Medicine, we have several certifying examinations such as United States Medical Licensing Examinations (USMLE) for those intending to practice in the United States, and Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination (MCCEE) for those intending to practice in Canada, just to name a few, that equalized Medical Schools around the world.

WAIT! The president doesn't know that anacin is just acetylsalacylic acid, and excedrin is Aspirin, Caffeine, and Acetominophen. That's it....I ain't going!

I don't like his ability to communicate in English either...... :mad:

You can't get a DO in the caribbean I take it. :laugh:

Fenrezz said:

We all know there are students in our classes who might do this for the first 2 reasons. From a business standpoint (for the school not necessarily the student) this is a brilliant idea.

Seriously though, concerning the 3rd and 4th point on the site:
"3. As a foreign born Osteopathic Physician, you would like to return to your native country and still be able to practice in full capacity as presently privileged in the U.S.A.;

"4. You would want to practice outside the Unites States as a Missionary or Volunteer or retire and still be able to practice in full capacity as in the U.S.A.; Consequently, the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) program for Doctor of Osteopathic (DO) in training is the program of choice."

Is there a better alternative for DO's who do actually want to move out of the country to practice (say somewhere down in South America)?

Members don't see this ad :)
US Military.

Travel the world, meet new and interesting people of an ancient culture...and kill them.

JK

I could see how peple would want to get both the DO/MD...it makes life so much easier when you don't have to explain both....just say I'm an MD, too.

There is the "having to explain this to your peers" aspect. Why do you have both? What did you do to get it?

But an Antigua diploma on your wall....

Portier said:
There is the "having to explain this to your peers" aspect. Why do you have both? What did you do to get it?

But an Antigua diploma on your wall....

I agree with you completely, but for those people who don't care what is behind their name (I assume there are some of us who still just want to be doctors), and just want to practice medicine, it seems this might be beneficial. My understanding is that an MD can practice medicine anywhere in the world with little trouble gaining a license, but a DO has to jump through some messy hoops in order to practice in some countries. Why not just skip the messy hoops and add an MD to the DO?

This is probably better suited for another thread dealing with worldwide recognition of DO's but I think it's interesting nonetheless.

In any case I'm not sure the $25000 is as much for the Antigua diploma on the wall as it is for the MD on the marquee.

I don't plan to leave the country, but I won't completely rule it out. If Hillary ever gets elected........

Portier said:
US Military.

I could see how peple would want to get both the DO/MD...it makes life so much easier when you don't have to explain both....just say I'm an MD, too.

Imagine how much more work it is explaining how (or worse: why) you have two medical degrees that amount to the same thing. :laugh:

I guess if I had to pick an explanation..I'd like to explain why I have MORE not less....

I'm just supercertified....

jawicobike said:
.... My understanding is that an MD can practice medicine anywhere in the world with little trouble gaining a license, but a DO has to jump through some messy hoops in order to practice in some countries. Why not just skip the messy hoops and add an MD to the DO?...

this is not completely true. in fact its much farther from the truth than needed to be be considered false.

basically each country in the world wants their OWN doctors to do well first, then outside countrys doctors. with the exception of england and SOME of its old colonies, the countries do not care about the distinction of USDO vs USMD. And the only reason the countries do make a distinction is because they already have "DOs" of their own that only operate doing OMM and nothing else. however some of those countries are being to change also.

additionally the point about going over seas for missions or whatever, doctors without borders takes DOs and i thought that some upper level doctor in that organization was in fact a DO.

at any rate, you could pretty much say that if a USDO will keep you out of a country then it is a good chance a USMD will as well. yet even in those cases, if you can show you are there on a limited basis and working for free to help ppl you may still be allowed in. and i heard tell of some country that if a USDO worked there for a year or so, they would give them an honorary MD from their country hopeing for a soon return.

dont let a "DO" slow you down.... sky is the limit folks....

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=107627

Docgeorge said:
Who's doing it?

I was thinking of transferring at the end of 2nd year a couple of years ago. I called around and sent my info to a few schools. I received some positive responses even from school's known to NOT take DO transfers. But I decided I still wanted to be a DO more than transfer. A girl in my class transferred at the end of 2nd year to Baylor and lost no time in the transfer. Her daddy though was adjunct faculty there though! My buddy is the guy who transferred to LSU. He is now MD/PhD program there finishing up his PhD this year.

Plus, in all seriousness, most states have strict licensing laws that state you must display and wear the initials of the degree that you were issues and LICENSED UNDER. Even if you complete the MD degree which we all know is BS, you will not pass this by any state medical board to be able to use the title. I know a DO here who did this and he tells people he is an MD, but it is not on his script pad or his sign or letterhead. He would get royally burned. Just because someone from the US got into residency with a degree from this place does not mean a DO can do the same thing. Assuming this school has someone in the US who was able to use THIS MD degree to gain licensure, I guarantee it was not based on any 1 year DO to MD program which gives you basically a certificate. I would bet my left testicle on the fact that ANY DO in the US who has paid for this overpriced piece of paper has NOT run this degree by the state medical board in which they practice, and hence NONE of them are actually licensed MD's in their repsective regions. You cannot simply be a DO and call yourself an MD in this country without having completed the actual MD education.

My bet is some progressive DO school in the next 10 years will take the step to become the first DO/MD granting institution in the world. And the reason it will happen is because it will overnight make the program one of the most sought out programs around. LCME will go for it assuming that AMA will allow the opening of another medical school, and it would take very little change to make a good DO school completely in compliance with LCME standards. All it would take would be taking both USMLE and COMLEX. For instance, TCOM students pretty much train at all MD institutions now, with DO's on faculty. I actually think this is a wonderful solution for the stigma that keeps some people from wanting to be DO's when they know the training is great. My feeling is that the AMA would jump at the chance to take over some of the DO schools or at least partner with them. You watch; in our lifetimes this will occur.

Portier said:
Hell, I've got 25K sitting around, and having a degree from a school I never set foot on sounds like a good idea.

WAIT! The president doesn't know that anacin is just acetylsalacylic acid, and excedrin is Aspirin, Caffeine, and Acetominophen. That's it....I ain't going!

I don't like his ability to communicate in English either...... :mad:

You can't get a DO in the caribbean I take it. :laugh:

Just thought about updating this info: Anacin is acetylsalicylic acid (or aspirin) PLUS caffeine. Excedrin is everything that anacin is with just an acetaminophen in it. Acetaminophen is what we know as "Tylenol".

I stand corrected....I did not know that Anacin had caffeine in it.

Anacin, however doesn't have the acetaminophen in it....and that does make it significantly different.

The potentiation of aspirin with acetaminophen has been compared to the codeine in strength....although I can't find a single stinking reference that mentions it. So....uh...I guess ignore that....... :(

Caffeine is the bomb for headaches, and there are so many references for that I'll let it ride...

SOOOOOO.....anymore people move to MD school from DO school lately?

PACtoDOC said:
You cannot simply be a DO and call yourself an MD in this country without having completed the actual MD education.

Actually for a fraction of the cost of the Antigua program you can call yourself MD. Just head down to the county courthouse and pay to change your name from Jon Doe to Jon Doe Mark David after graduation.

Jon Doe M.D. D.O.

word of encouragemant (sorta), i know somebody that transferred from DO program into an MD program during third year; however, they were required to repeat 2nd year. High cost in my opinion!

I actually transferred from TCOM to Baylor College of Medicine. I only did it becuase I had good reasons and it was not because I didn't like TCOM--I had a great time there and think it was a great school. Baylor is great with transfer students but only does it if you have strong reasons to transfer.

mishtexas said:
I actually transferred from TCOM to Baylor College of Medicine. I only did it becuase I had good reasons and it was not because I didn't like TCOM--I had a great time there and think it was a great school. Baylor is great with transfer students but only does it if you have strong reasons to transfer.

Can you elaborate on your reasons?

mishtexas said:

I forgot that you did actually have an issue with your family member's health. But I think in all fairness you probably would have stood zero chance of transferring if you had not had a good connection. Baylor clearly states that they do not consider transfers from non LCME programs. But I don't blame you for leaving regardless of the reason as long as it was best for you. So did you ever get hitched with the bone doctor or did you kick him to the curb?

Tell Dr. Mintz on Peds hello if he is still there. My father and his son are close friends from law school and he is a really good guy to know. I wish you the best. And I still will always remember you as one of my first manip partners!! I hated taking my shirt off around you because I always started sweating!! I don't think it was all you though ;) SO what are you thinking about going into now?

We have had 3 MD transfers in the last 2-3 years. Not sure of reasons but all went to the same school, Wright State University, and didn't have to repeat second year. We had one other transfer DO to DO (TCOM). I also know another guy that transfered from KCUMB to PCSOM. Transfers happen and are alot more common than I ever thought they would be.

I think I heard that a MS-II from KCUMB also just transferred to an MD school. Is that true?

mishtexas said:

Did you get a DO or an MD degree? Did you have to take any additional courses? Did you have to complete the osteopathic boards?

Thanks. Good luck!

geez... why do u guys want to transfer already? just wait to go to a different school :p

DO2B09 said:
Did you get a DO or an MD degree? Did you have to take any additional courses? Did you have to complete the osteopathic boards?

Thanks. Good luck!

I like how his screen name is DO2B, and he's interested in becomming MD2B...

JK :laugh:

Portier said:
I like how his screen name is DO2B, and he's interested in becomming MD2B...

JK :laugh:

exactly the difference is so close in admissions just work on a few different areas and get in where you want. :confused:

I will get an MD and I did not have to take the osteopathic boards or make up any classes.

DO2B09 said:

Thanks. Good luck!

I did not end up with the orthopod. But, I did contact Baylor about applying there to transfer before I had started my first year at TCOM. When I asked if they whould take a DO transfer--they told me that it was okay to apply without knowing my reasons. They have had two other DO's besides me apply in the past and one got an interview and the other did not. I was the first to be accepted. Yes, I had good reasons, but they won't take anyone unless they have good reasons.

PACtoDOC said:
I forgot that you did actually have an issue with your family member's health. But I think in all fairness you probably would have stood zero chance of transferring if you had not had a good connection. Baylor clearly states that they do not consider transfers from non LCME programs. But I don't blame you for leaving regardless of the reason as long as it was best for you. So did you ever get hitched with the bone doctor or did you kick him to the curb?

Tell Dr. Mintz on Peds hello if he is still there. My father and his son are close friends from law school and he is a really good guy to know. I wish you the best. And I still will always remember you as one of my first manip partners!! I hated taking my shirt off around you because I always started sweating!! I don't think it was all you though ;) SO what are you thinking about going into now?

My reason for transfering was my mom's health--she had a brain tumor and I wanted to be closer to spend more time with her.

Portier said:
Can you elaborate on your reasons?

jawicobike said:
Is there a better alternative for DO's who do actually want to move out of the country to practice (say somewhere down in South America)?

Yes, they should have gotten an MD.

raptor5 said:

:laugh:

I think I just hurt something....

raptor5 said:

which country in south america??

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=107627

Argentina

Year of Last Request: 1994
Scope of Practice: unlimited

Per correspondence from the Ministry of Culture and Education, it appears that U.S.-trained D.O.s will be permitted to obtain a full physician license in Argentina in accordance with requirements for all foreign physicians. Argentine law does not specifically include osteopathic medicine or the D.O. degree; instead, foreign physicians must submit credentials to various agencies and then appear before any of the National Universities in order to have their diploma considered as an Argentine equivalent.
Contact: Argentine Consulate closest to professional residence

Brazil

Year of Last Request: 2000

A U.S. educated osteopathic physician was granted an unlimited license to practice medicine in Brazil. It is a difficult process and requires taking and passing a Brazilian examination., establishing residency, and do some training in Brazilian hospitals.

Avenue Brig
Liuz Antonio 278 2 Andar
Sao Paulo 01318
BRAZIL

Chile

Year of Last Request: 1993

Application for a practice license must be made to the University of Chile through the submission and transfer of the physician's medical diploma. A written exam, in Spanish, is required.

Universidad de Chile
Avda. Independencia No. 1027
Santiago
CHILE
Colegio Medico de Chile
Esmeralda 678
Santiago
CHILE

Colombia

Year of Last Request: 1996

Colombian law does not specifically state restrictions of osteopathic practice. Therefore, U.S.-trained D.O.s are permitted to submit their credentials according to the same procedure administered to other foreign physicians. They must contact the Colombian consulate closest to their professional residence for verification of original degree, then contact the Foreign Affairs Ministry in Colombia. All transcripts, programs of study, and copies of identification must be translated into Spanish and be notarized.

Calle 16 No. 7-39
Bogota
COLOMBIA

Peru

Year of Last Request: 1994
Scope of Practice: unknown

The AOA did not receive a response to its request for information on how a U.S. educated D.O. could obtain licensure.

261 Los Procers
Lima
PERU

Venezuela

Year of Last Request: 1993
Scope of Practice: unknown

To date, the AOA has not received a response from the Health Minister regarding osteopathic licensure.

Contact: Ministerio de Sanidad & Asistencia Social Recursos Humanos
Chief Executive Officer Caracas
VENEZUELA

mishtexas said:
I did not end up with the orthopod. But, I did contact Baylor about applying there to transfer before I had started my first year at TCOM. When I asked if they whould take a DO transfer--they told me that it was okay to apply without knowing my reasons. They have had two other DO's besides me apply in the past and one got an interview and the other did not. I was the first to be accepted. Yes, I had good reasons, but they won't take anyone unless they have good reasons.
When transferring, did you have to reapply (as in do the AMCAS or AACOMAS over again)? What were the requirements of transferring? Good grades and MCAT scores? Personal statements?

I was considering transferring DO schools after 2nd year to be closer to family and friends, but I'll even consider MD schools too if it gets me where I need to be.

Pikevillemedstudent said:
We have had 3 MD transfers in the last 2-3 years. Not sure of reasons but all went to the same school, Wright State University, and didn't have to repeat second year. We had one other transfer DO to DO (TCOM). I also know another guy that transfered from KCUMB to PCSOM. Transfers happen and are alot more common than I ever thought they would be.

Really? You see I'm go'in PCSOM, but have very ill family 10 mi from Wrigth State. I prefer DO, but if family really need me back in the next few yrs I glad to here a transfer is possible...jim

jawicobike said:
Actually for a fraction of the cost of the Antigua program you can call yourself MD. Just head down to the county courthouse and pay to change your name from Jon Doe to Jon Doe Mark David after graduation.

Jon Doe M.D. D.O.

:idea:

How about Jon Doe Mark David Doland Olsen Daniel-Vincent Matthew?

Jon Doe M.D. D.O. D.V.M.

I've always wanted an Esquire after my name too. Not that I want to be a lawyer, but it just sounds cool.

got-it said:
Really? You see I'm go'in PCSOM, but have very ill family 10 mi from Wrigth State. I prefer DO, but if family really need me back in the next few yrs I glad to here a transfer is possible...jim

Well you can do 3rd and 4th year in Dayton Ohio without transfering. With the above reasons, you would definitely get picked to go there. So there's really no reason to transfer. I think most of those that transfered did not get picked to go to Dayton for 3rd and 4th year, but I am not sure of all their reasons.

Good luck at Pikevegas. 1st year seems to take forever but it flies by after that.

Pikevillemedstudent said:
Well you can do 3rd and 4th year in Dayton Ohio without transfering. With the above reasons, you would definitely get picked to go there. So there's really no reason to transfer. I think most of those that transfered did not get picked to go to Dayton for 3rd and 4th year, but I am not sure of all their reasons.

Good luck at Pikevegas. 1st year seems to take forever but it flies by after that.

Thanks, PCSOM is my first choice, ah if you don't mind, I never really got the Pikevegas joke. Let a brother in on the joke....you can PM me so we don't hijack the thread...jim