School policies on August retake scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doubtflyer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all-
since a bunch of us are retaking the mcat in august, and there seems to be a lot of anxiety and confusion over whether schools will just ignore our applications until october, even if we submit them/have submitted them early in the summer, i thought it might be useful if we made a collective effort to contact schools to which we are applying and find out directly. we can then post any definite answers in an ongoing thread. there are a little over 100 schools right? so if we each call a couple, i think we could cover most of them in a short period of time and thus prevent nervous breakdowns. :)

hopefully this will work...i will post some info first. i haven't had a chance to call schools during business hours because of work all day, but i did manage to reach gw (my top choice) this afternoon, and good news! they said that they will consider complete applications, even if you are retaking the mcat, and encourage turning the application early. so...to format this:

George Washington - WILL consider applications before Aug. scores

i will try to call some more schools tomorrow/this coming week. hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

In Louisiana, both LSU-NO and LSU Shreveport said that they will send out secondaries to all applicants. The admissions said that Aug MCAT takers should have their AMCAS, letters, transcripts, and if possible, secondaries in by the time the Aug scores roll out.... that way they can start reviewing our info. They also said that they don't even start interviewing until October anyway.

I'm not sure about Tulane, but it could be the same.... perhaps I will find out.

just to say this early on....please SPELL OUT THE FULL NAME of the schools...thanx

P.S. i was really looking for a thread like this...thanx

okay, here's the list so far, with some updates, in alphabetical order. also, maybe it would be easier if you copy and paste if you add schools. please change things around if you think of a better way to organize the list.

Georgetown - WILL NOT review app. until Aug. scores are in
Louisiana State University-New Orleans - WILL consider applications before Aug. scores (don't start interviewing until October)
Louisiana State University-Shreveport - WILL consider applications before Aug. scores (don't start interviewing until October)
New York Medical College - WILL consider applications with at least one score
Temple - WILL NOT make a "final decision" until August scores are received [this "final decision" statement was rather ambiguous in their email; i'll try to get a clarification]

p.s. orgoman- when i spoke to GW, they seemed to be very encouraging of getting the application in as early as possible, so maybe that applies to your situation too. sorry, i didn't think to ask, but i did ask the schools i emailed today about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
another update...

Louisiana State University-New Orleans - WILL consider applications before Aug. scores (don't start interviewing until October)
Louisiana State University-Shreveport - WILL consider applications before Aug. scores (don't start interviewing until October)
Penn State - Leaves it up to the applicant whether to review or hold until after August scores: indicate this on the seconday.
Temple - WILL NOT make a "final decision" until August scores are received [this "final decision" statement was rather ambiguous in their email; i'll try to get a clarification]

it's interesting that penn state leaves it up to you... i didn't anticipate this being an option. hmm...

UT Southwestern - WILL consider application before August score and will reconsider when new score comes in

University of Colorado - WILL offer interview before August scores come in if old scores are satisfactory. Presumably no final decision is made until new scores arrive.

doubtflyer said:
...maybe it would be easier if you copy and paste if you add schools.
Definitely. Its the only way this will work well. When adding a school, cut and paste the list from the last post into your new post, make the addition, and give your post the title "Adding School X". Try to keep it in alphabetical order for easy reference.

Penn State - Leaves it up to the applicant whether to review or hold until after August scores: indicate this on the seconday.
University of Colorado - WILL offer interview before August scores come in if old scores are satisfactory. Presumably no final decision is made until new scores arrive.
University of Miami - If they meet the minimum qualifications (3.2 for FL residents, 3.6 for non-FL and MCAT >=24) we'll send them a secondary but not do anything until we get the August score. If they don't meet the minimum GPA requirements we will not send them a secondary. If the MCAT score is below 24, but their GPA is OK, we will send them a secondary on the assumption that they will increase their score over the minimum mark in August.
UT Southwestern - WILL consider application before August score and will reconsider when new score comes in

Drexel - (1) retaking: option on secondary application to tell them to hold until scores come in (2) no scores: application will not be reviewed until scores released electronically
University of Miami - If they meet the minimum qualifications (3.2 for FL residents, 3.6 for non-FL and MCAT >=24) we'll send them a secondary but not do anything until we get the August score. If they don't meet the minimum GPA requirements we will not send them a secondary. If the MCAT score is below 24, but their GPA is OK, we will send them a secondary on the assumption that they will increase their score over the minimum mark in August.

SUNY at Buffalo - "We take the highest total score. If you are taking the Aug MCAT, we would wait for those scores to arrive in mid-Oct. before review commences."

UChicago (Pritzker) - WILL NOT review app until August score is in
UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson - WILL review app if you already have a MCAT score...not sure if they'll review app if the August score will be your first MCAT score
UMDNJ - New Jersey Medical School - WILL NOT review app until August score is in

Drexel - (1) retaking: option on secondary application to tell them to hold until scores come in (2) no scores: application will not be reviewed until scores released electronically
SUNY at Buffalo - "We take the highest total score. If you are taking the Aug MCAT, we would wait for those scores to arrive in mid-Oct. before review commences."
UMDNJ - New Jersey Medical School - WILL NOT review app until August score is in
UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson - WILL review app if you already have a MCAT score...not sure if they'll review app if the August score will be your first MCAT score

I hope this Helps!!

Indiana - Will not do review for the interview without the August Score.
Iowa - - WILL NOT review until August Scores are in
Medical College of WI - Will not review without the August Scores
RUSH - Rush University in Chicago, IL - Will not review until August Scores are in
SIU (Southern Illinois University) - - WILL consider application before the august scores post but also will wait if scores not high enough (26 is MCAT mean)
SLU (St. Louis University) - WILL NOT review until Aug scores are in

wow, this is exactly what i was looking for.

great thread.

so i got a decent score, but i want to retake this beast, i figure if it's gonna hurt me then i shouldn't retake it and apply. but since it seems some schools will consider it and some won't it won't matter much.

I was even thinking of not saying on amcas that i'm taking it but obviosuly that's wrong so i will say i'm taking it. any thoughts by others on this.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
RUSH - Rush University in Chicago, IL - Will not review until August Scores are in
SIU (Southern Illinois University) - - WILL consider application before the august scores post but also will wait if scores not high enough (26 is MCAT mean)
Tufts - from their website: "If you apply to TUSM in the summer or early fall with at least one set of scores, we will consider your application with those scores, even if you have indicated on your AMCAS application that you intend to take the August MCAT. If you are not selected for an interview after this initial consideration, we will consider your application again after the August scores arrive."

p.s... does anyone know if it's possible to copy and paste the list and keep the bolding intact? it's kind of a pain to highlight and bold each name... but i guess that's a good sign because it means we're getting info on lots of schools! :)

p.s... does anyone know if it's possible to copy and paste the list and keep the bolding intact? it's kind of a pain to highlight and bold each name... but i guess that's a good sign because it means we're getting info on lots of schools! :)

just hit reply and when the text comes up as if you were quoting it, remove the quote tags ---->
at the beginning and [\QOUTE] at the end, this will leave all the bolded words intact and then you can add the new school

Boston - Admissions office said they would automatically review application with the old scores (if received before new scores are released). If the old scores are not sufficient, no 2nd review is given with new MCAT scores. You must specify in writing if you want them to hold your file for review until August scores are released.
Pittsburgh - No interview invites for August MCATers until August scores are available.
Tufts - from their website: "If you apply to TUSM in the summer or early fall with at least one set of scores, we will consider your application with those scores, even if you have indicated on your AMCAS application that you intend to take the August MCAT. If you are not selected for an interview after this initial consideration, we will consider your application again after the August scores arrive."
Tulane - Can have application reviewed with previous scores if you ask them to. However, they will only review your application once, so if you ask them to review prior to the August scores are released and the previous scores are not satisfactory, you will not get a 2nd review.

Boston - Admissions office said they would automatically review application with the old scores (if received before new scores are released). If the old scores are not sufficient, no 2nd review is given with new MCAT scores. You must specify in writing if you want them to hold your file for review until August scores are released.
Pittsburgh - No interview invites for August MCATers until August scores are available.
Tulane - Can have application reviewed with previous scores if you ask them to. However, they will only review your application once, so if you ask them to review prior to the August scores are released and the previous scores are not satisfactory, you will not get a 2nd review.
UMMC (Mississippi) if they meet the qualifications, they will interview before the August MCAT Scores are release. They will review the application again after the August scores are back. Only the highest score is considered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had a meeting with Dr. Case (Associate Dean of Student Admissions) from UMMC in June.

He told me that all completed applications will be considered before the August MCAT. They will hold interviews for qualified applicants. (usually starting in Aug/September)

After the August MCAT they will begin reviewing applications again and starting a second round of interviews. (more towards December)

If anyone is interested in recieving the Dr. Case's power point presentation, I can emial it to you.

UMMC (Mississippi) if they meet the qualifications, they will interview before the August MCAT Scores are release. They will review the application again after the August scores are back. Only the highest score is considered.
Wake Forest - From an email "Your application is being placed in a Hold Status till receipt of your Fall MCAT scores. No action is required from you at this time. You will be notified when there is a change in your status."

U.C. San Francisco - If they know you're taking it in Aug, they give you the "benefit of the doubt" and assume you'll do better, if the previous score is borderline. They won't hold up awarding a secondary, but will wait for the scores before interviewing.
Wake Forest - From an email "Your application is being placed in a Hold Status till receipt of your Fall MCAT scores. No action is required from you at this time. You will be notified when there is a change in your status."

Iowa - - WILL NOT review until August Scores are in, also for re-applicants
RUSH - Rush University in Chicago, IL - Will not review until August Scores are in, but sends secondary to re-applicants who were eligible from last year
SIU (Southern Illinois University) - - WILL consider application before the august scores post but also will wait if scores not high enough (26 is MCAT mean).. Sometimes, Allows recommendation letters to be submitted if the prior MCAT scores are in, but does not send secondary till August scores arrive.
U.C. San Francisco - If they know you're taking it in Aug, they give you the "benefit of the doubt" and assume you'll do better, if the previous score is borderline. They won't hold up awarding a secondary, but will wait for the scores before interviewing.
UChicago (Pritzker) - WILL NOT review app until August score is in, but sends secondary if prior MCAT scores are in.
USF - To receive a secondary USF will request you to verify that you meet their minimum 3.0 GPA and 24 MCAT (or are taking your first MCAT in August). If you respond in the affirmative they will send you a secondary application. They will also evaluate your file when completed and make a general decison regarding interview. If you indicated that you will take the August MCAT they may hold a final interview decision if you need the bump up.

actually, some statuses of the schools that listed were listed by the original poster is not correct.

i have taken the mcat 3 times and have called every school i applied to. to be honest, some schools dont even wait. rosalind franklin, vcu, and evms all look at ur app first based on whatever score u have. if the score is low, they will put it on hold. ive somehow made it to their interview pools with my low score.

boston actually has a check box on the secondary that asks whether or not you want them to wait. if u tell them not to wait, they will not wait and will not consider ur august mcat. both nj schools will wait. i did an internship at rwjms and i spoke with the counselor there. nj schools do NOT look at ur scores if u said u will take the aug mcat. suny downstate (brooklyn) is the same thing. vermont is the same.

i can;t confirm for drexel, temple, cwru, cinn, etc.

georgetown and gw BOTH wait for august mcat. i applied really early, and got put on hold for mcat very eary. i called to ask and they said my app was not reviewed yet. same thing with albany.

dmtang said:
actually, some statuses of the schools that listed were listed by the original poster is not correct.

i have taken the mcat 3 times and have called every school i applied to. to be honest, some schools dont even wait. rosalind franklin, vcu, and evms all look at ur app first based on whatever score u have. if the score is low, they will put it on hold. ive somehow made it to their interview pools with my low score.

boston actually has a check box on the secondary that asks whether or not you want them to wait. if u tell them not to wait, they will not wait and will not consider ur august mcat. both nj schools will wait. i did an internship at rwjms and i spoke with the counselor there. nj schools do NOT look at ur scores if u said u will take the aug mcat. suny downstate (brooklyn) is the same thing. vermont is the same.

i can;t confirm for drexel, temple, cwru, cinn, etc.

georgetown and gw BOTH wait for august mcat. i applied really early, and got put on hold for mcat very eary. i called to ask and they said my app was not reviewed yet. same thing with albany.

many apologies if the information is incorrect; i just posted what schools told me. sorry if any of it caused anyone any problems/inconveniences!!

now that mcat scores are out, i wish everyone the best in this process! your new scores will wow 'em! :)

doubtflyer said:
i've never heard of a med school averaging scores, but some schools differ as far as if they only look at the most recent set of scores or highest scores in each section. i know there was a thread in pre-allo some time ago, so you could probably find that if you do a search. if you want to know for certain, it would probably be a good idea to call the schools to which you're applying.

jefferson averages scores... all of them... so if you get a 19 the first time and then a 36... your mcat score is the average of the two.. i know it sucks, but it's policy.

it says so in the MSAR book. check it.

furthermore, tufts takes the highest scores from each section. albany looks at all scores. most schools actually look ONLY at the most recent score and they strictly based an interview invite on that.

for example, my friend got a 31 the first time, but thought he could get a 35+... WRONG! he got a 26 the second time and called all 25 schools he applied to. 22 out of 25 schools told him they wont consider his 31.

chemwiz14 said:
Any one know if Darthmouth, Cornell, or sunny upstate and downstate screen or do they wait for the august scores????ohhhh, also usf and uf????

To receive a secondary USF will request you to verify that you meet their minimum 3.0 GPA and 24 MCAT (or are taking your first MCAT in August). If you respond in the affirmative they will send you a secondary application. They will also evaluate your file when completed and make a general decison regarding interview. If you indicated that you will take the August MCAT they may hold a final interview decision if you need the bump up.

Now here is something else to consider. You know that in the calendar year of 2007 that the MCAT will be offered many times throughout the year. The first exam is in late January and the scoring should be available by the very end of February. Each school will be setting a policy as to whether they will consider that January test for those in anticipating entry in August 2007. Many web sites have not been updated to reflect the updated policy -- USF will update soon. The USF Policy will be that we will consider the January 2007 MCAT for those who have taken the MCAT within the last 3 years; have a completed AMCAS and Secondary file by the established deadlines (Dec 1, Jan 15); and that you have not yet been interviewed at USF. This MAY help those who are scrambling to retake the MCAT in August who may be better off retaking it in January IF USF is one of your targeted schools. Obviously you should continue to target retaking in August if programs will not consider the January retest.

Iowa - - WILL NOT review until August Scores are in, also for re-applicants
RUSH - Rush University in Chicago, IL - Will not review until August Scores are in, but sends secondary to re-applicants who were eligible from last year
SIU (Southern Illinois University) - - WILL consider application before the august scores post but also will wait if scores not high enough (26 is MCAT mean).. Sometimes, Allows recommendation letters to be submitted if the prior MCAT scores are in, but does not send secondary till August scores arrive.
UChicago (Pritzker) - WILL NOT review app until August score is in, but sends secondary if prior MCAT scores are in.
USF - To receive a secondary USF will request you to verify that you meet their minimum 3.0 GPA and 24 MCAT (or are taking your first MCAT in August). If you respond in the affirmative they will send you a secondary application. They will also evaluate your file when completed and make a general decison regarding interview. If you indicated that you will take the August MCAT they may hold a final interview decision if you need the bump up.

HEy guys I had a questions. When you say, WILL consider applications before August scores. WHat do you mean? I got an 21 on my first one :(, but I am planning on turning all my applications, will they reject me or wait until my august scores? Again, I'm talking about the ones that they they will consider my application. Thanks again.

The other issue is how much of the class they are filling before the August scores are in.

My premed advisor (also my orgo pro) lives, eats and breathes premed. He is literally at another premed conference next week.

He told me that most schools basically have their classes full by August, and that they are just waiting for the next Einstein.

I may actually push up to July, depending on how much genetics I can learn over the next few weeks.

HEy guys I had a questions. When you say, WILL consider applications before August scores. WHat do you mean? I got an 21 on my first one :(, but I am planning on turning all my applications, will they reject me or wait until my august scores? Again, I'm talking about the ones that they they will consider my application. Thanks again.

Med Admissions will normally not make a final decision on applicants until all of the data is received. If, in your AMCAS application, you indicate a future MCAT date for that cycle, the will await that score before making and decision if your file would be competitive otherwise. (For example if you applied to a program which requires research and you also project a future MCAT date: if your research is not competitive with what they want, they very may well may make a final decision prior to receiving your MCAT since you did not measure up in the other category that they were seeking.)

The other issue is how much of the class they are filling before the August scores are in.

My premed advisor (also my orgo pro) lives, eats and breathes premed. He is literally at another premed conference next week.

He told me that most schools basically have their classes full by August, and that they are just waiting for the next Einstein.

I may actually push up to July, depending on how much genetics I can learn over the next few weeks.

I need some more information here. It is my understanding that the cycle that is beginning now for a class to be seated in August 2009 will not be anywhere close to filled by August 2008. If that is what you are suggesting, I very much disagree.

Here is what I was told...

He said that a vast majority of schools will start reading apps as soon as they are in and granting interviews.

If you indicate that you are taking an August MCAT, they will put your application completely aside until the results come in (mid-September).

By that time, they have interviewed a ton of people and already have enough people that meet their admissions criteria. While you are correct that they may not have made formal offers to enough people to fill the class, they do have enough people designated on their internal forms to fill the class.

You can bump one, but you had better be top notch.

Again, this is what I was told. For this reason, I may bump to July...

Here is what I was told...

He said that a vast majority of schools will start reading apps as soon as they are in and granting interviews.

If you indicate that you are taking an August MCAT, they will put your application completely aside until the results come in (mid-September).

By that time, they have interviewed a ton of people and already have enough people that meet their admissions criteria. While you are correct that they may not have made formal offers to enough people to fill the class, they do have enough people designated on their internal forms to fill the class.

You can bump one, but you had better be top notch.

Again, this is what I was told. For this reason, I may bump to July...

With the exception of the Texas System which is outside of AMCAS, no med programs have any data on applicants yet. AMCAS will release applicant information this week, prob 24 June. Most schools begin interviewing at the end of September for regular admissions, those that do ED will normally have one interview day before regular admissions. To have a full class by October is not something that I would perceive to be accurate; no way by August.