Tulane & Hurricane Katrina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dilated

Fought Law; Law Won
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just sent off my secondary last week and now I'm not worried about it getting lost in the mail, I'm worried about Tulane not being there when it gets there. :eek:

Is anyone else watching this storm coverage? Holy crap.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it's really scary. It's a huge storm, and is going to have significant impacts hundreds of miles inland as well. I'm in an area that was greatly affected by Ivan last year, and 5 people died 2 miles from my house.

We know this storm will be bad. I just hope everyone will be as safe as possible and help others out. This forum is great for rallying people for good causes, so I propose we start an information and help thread here, in case anyone on the Gulf Coast needs anything.

We'll be thinking about you all!

I went to tulane for undergrad, and while i was there we had almost an entire week off for a hurricane. Though the hurricane had calmed down and didn't directly hit NOLA then... and there was another small hurricane the next week so we didn't have classes that day either! They are pretty good about getting people out of town and keeping people informed on what is going on. I know that they have bussed all of the students who needed a way out to Jackson, Mississippi for this one... Though Katrina looks like it will be worse than the ones that I was there for... I'm sure there will just be a ton of flooding (try not to live on the ground floor if you go there!!)... I just hope that it isn't worse than that!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't like hurricanes, don't move to FL, LA, etc.
If you don't like earthquakes, don't move to CA or AK
If you don't like volcanoes, don't move to WA or HI.

Jeez.

seilienne said:

Jeez.

wtf...

I really don't want to take the focus of this thread off potential victims, but I have a question. I'm scheduled to have an interview Sept. 15th. What happens next? Is there a prediction as to when it will be safe to travel down there???

My brother goes to school at Tulane. There's talk of no class this semester.

drbriggz said:
I really don't want to take the focus of this thread off potential victims, but I have a question. I'm scheduled to have an interview Sept. 15th. What happens next? Is there a prediction as to when it will be safe to travel down there???

Well the hurricane is expected to hit mon morning. If it is as bad as it looks I doubt that they will be up and running for at least a week, if not longer. You might still have that interview on the 15th, but you may want to call a few days after it hits...give them some time to get back in town and recover. Good luck

Hi all,
Nice to see so many people worried about us poor coon asses and our little thunderstorm. As a veteran of a few hurricanes and directly in the line of fire of Katrina, All I have to say is HOLY ****! I think that there will be classes this semester unless it is worse than I think but it will probably be a week or two before we are operating like we should be. To anyone else in south LA, be safe.
Scott

When I was a kid we were hit by Hurricane Hugo. It was a huge part of my childhood, because large parts of the city were destroyed. I lost more than half of my baby pictures, and my parents lost lots of books and records, not to mention they had to start from scratch with the house they were building. We were out of school for 3 weeks. I remember evacuating, and then driving home, and when we were halfway into the state we started seeing trees down, and we were terrified about what we would find when we actually got home.

Anyway, since then I've been obsessed with tracking hurricanes. Not a day goes by during hurricane season where I don't check the NHC's website. And this one is potentially disastrous because New Orleans is mostly below sea level and all of that. Actually, so is Charleston (where I grew up), but New Orleans is in worse shape. So considering we missed 3 weeks of school, I wouldn't be surprised if Tulane interviews for the next few weeks are put off, and other stuff there is delayed for a while.

stay safe everybody...hurricanes are scary :eek:

I hear you, Tigress. I watch the weather during hurricane season as well, even though I didn't experience Hugo, Andrew etc. I am a fifth-generation Floridian (been living in NC since I was five), and I have heard so many stories about the devestation of hurricanes from Camille to even the ones from a few months ago. In our technological age we can track these things and be prepared, which is better than things were 100 years ago with no Weather Channel and hurricane hunters.

I worry about the impacts further inland where people aren't used to having to deal with hurricanes. Some people in my town are like "what hurricane?" That's the scary part, people who don't even realize it's coming.

You guys be safe! I'll be thinking about you!

As of now just updated at 3pm central time, tulane classes are not planning on starting until sept 7th at this point. tulane has shut down all webpages and servers except for the emergency page, emergency.tulane.edu. This is the first mandatory evacuation of new orleans... this one looks like it will be really bad and I am hoping all of my friend got out of town. Since NOLA is shaped like a bowl and is under sea level, there are electric pumps that pump the water out of the city and with a huge hurricane like this the electricity is bound to go out, leaving no way for the water to leave the city. BAD NEWS!

When I interviewed I asked what happens if a hurricane hits New Orleans directly and they said the entire city could flood 20 feet deep. Yikes.

Members don't see this ad :)
This looks bad, and I hope that everybody is going to be OK. In addition to hoping that no lives are lost and that property damage is kept to a minimum, I also hope that the oil rigs that supply 25% of the domestic oil to this country that are located in the gulf are not damaged to the point of devastating the economy.

I'm an undergrad at Xavier University in New Orleans. I got home in Texas a couple hours ago after fleeing the N.O. I've been stuck on news since I've been home and am terrified of what I might find IF and when I can get back to New Orleans. You'll be able to tell if you travel there safely by mid-Sept. just by watching the news. If the full brunt of the storm hits, I would probably say your interview may be pushed back. Living in New Orleans is not as bad as people are making it out to be. This is my fourth year down here, and I've run three times already. Days off from school, interesting stories and experiences, and all the jazz only lasts for a couple months. (Florida actually gets hit more often than we do.) Just realize that the chance to live in New Orleans allows the chance to run in the face of a hurricane. Understand that during your app process and decision regarding attendance. I would never discourage anyone from living here. The culture is one of a kind and there never ceases to be things to do. Apply Tulane and Enjoy New Orleans!!!

Last year my family and I had experienced hurricanes Charley, Jeanne, and Frances. I think the toughest part is the waiting; waiting for it to come, waiting for it to pass, waiting for everything to "go back to normal". Its definitely a tough experience, one I would never want anyone to experience. I hope everyone who might be affected by Katrina to stay safe and be careful.

Flopotomist said:
This looks bad, and I hope that everybody is going to be OK. In addition to hoping that no lives are lost and that property damage is kept to a minimum, I also hope that the oil rigs that supply 25% of the domestic oil to this country that are located in the gulf are not damaged to the point of devastating the economy.

Me too.

With a direct hit, most likely the city will be shut down for months. I wouldn't take any bets for a semester. Emergency Mgmt said it will take over 120 days to rebuilt the sewer/water systems then every bldg will have to be structurally analyzed with the flooding expected. I don't really see anything going on with NOLA in the next few months. :( I hope that I'm wrong but this is what they are saying with these 20-30ft storm surges.

This may just be the ass in me, but I wonder if anyone is actually going to show up for their interviews and see that noone is there. :D :D

I'm assuming they will wind up sending people emails telling them the stuff has hit the fan.

BaylorGuy said:
This may just be the ass in me, but I wonder if anyone is actually going to show up for their interviews and see that noone is there. :D :D

I'm assuming they will wind up sending people emails telling them the stuff has hit the fan.
Yeah, if they can even get to the airport ...

when I had to leave a few years ago it was said that if NOLA got wiped out we would take classes at Jackson State University in Mississippi that would count towards a Tulane degree... I really hope that it doesn't come to that... I know several people who are supposed to be freshman there this fall and I'm sure they are freaking out right now...

I am about sixty miles east of New Orleans at Memorial Hospital in Gulfport, MS, which is only a forth of a mile from the beach. I am on the hospital's lock down crew. We were told that we would be working around the clock possibly until Wednesday morning. My house is less than a mile from the beach about five miles east of the Louisiana border! Yikes. I am a little nervous at this point. This is the biggest storm to hit my area since Camille. If it is as bad as it looks, our hospital has planned to be out of power for up to 6 weeks and to work by emergency generator. New Orleans is even worse off because they are below sea level and their levies can only withstand a 15 foot storm surge. The storm surge is expected to be 19+. (For those of you that don't know, the storm surge usually kills more people than the hurricane itself). There is often a period of time when they do not allow people to return home because it is too dangerous. It usually does not last for more than a week after the storm hits. Wish me luck!

Some of you might not remember Hurricane Andrew hitting Miami in Aug. 1992 (I was starting my senior year of HS at the time), but I can tell you that even now, in 2005, Homestead (where the eye hit) is still not 100% recovered. Andrew was also a Category 5 storm, and you just cannot fathom the level of destruction that a storm like that causes. I don't know what the building codes in LA are like, but in South Florida they were completely inadequate for Andrew.

Anyway, I would like to propose that SDN begin a fundraiser to donate money to the Red Cross or similar aid organizations to help the victims of Katrina. Maybe one of the smods could make an SDN-wide announcement? Also, those of you who have interviews or other trips planned to NO should still go as soon as you reasonably and safely can. Their economy will be in shambles after the storm, and your hotel and restaurant dollars will help tremendously.

drbriggz said:
probably not for weeks, i feel badly for everyone who lives there. :(

DarkFark said:
My brother goes to school at Tulane. There's talk of no class this semester.
wow!! are you serious? i know it's going to hit hard and will be awhile before it's safe to return...but a whole semester?? so they will all be behind a semester? yikes!

Sondra said:
I am about sixty miles east of New Orleans at Memorial Hospital in Gulfport, MS, which is only a forth of a mile from the beach. I am on the hospital's lock down crew. We were told that we would be working around the clock possibly until Wednesday morning. My house is less than a mile from the beach about five miles east of the Louisiana border! Yikes. I am a little nervous at this point. This is the biggest storm to hit my area since Camille. If it is as bad as it looks, our hospital has planned to be out of power for up to 6 weeks and to work by emergency generator. New Orleans is even worse off because they are below sea level and their levies can only withstand a 15 foot storm surge. The storm surge is expected to be 19+. (For those of you that don't know, the storm surge usually kills more people than the hurricane itself). There is often a period of time when they do not allow people to return home because it is too dangerous. It usually does not last for more than a week after the storm hits. Wish me luck!
oh my gosh, i pray you will be safe!

all of you down there, i hope you ge tout safely

Sondra said:
oh my gosh, i pray you will be safe!

all of you down there, i hope you get out safely

QofQuimica said:
Some of you might not remember Hurricane Andrew hitting Miami in Aug. 1992 (I was starting my senior year of HS at the time), but I can tell you that even now, in 2005, Homestead (where the eye hit) is still not 100% recovered. Andrew was also a Category 5 storm, and you just cannot fathom the level of destruction that a storm like that causes. I don't know what the building codes in LA are like, but in South Florida they were completely inadequate for Andrew.

Anyway, I would like to propose that SDN begin a fundraiser to donate money to the Red Cross or similar aid organizations to help the victims of Katrina. Maybe one of the smods could make an SDN-wide announcement? Also, those of you who have interviews or other trips planned to NO should still go as soon as you reasonably and safely can. Their economy will be in shambles after the storm, and your hotel and restaurant dollars will help tremendously.

Yeah, Hugo was a Category 4; it was a 5 until just before it hit (like I think might actually happen with Katrina...hopefully). Anyway, it's totally true about how long it takes to recover. It was at least a decade, and in some ways Charleston still hasn't recovered. The Spanish moss only returned to the trees in the past few years, and the pine trees are just getting to be tall again (they were almost all gone after the storm). And economically, it probably took 5-10 years for the city to recover. It's just crazy how little control we have over these huge storms, when we spend most of our daily lives thinking we have lots of control over the world around us.

tigress said:
It's just crazy how little control we have over these huge storms, when we spend most of our daily lives thinking we have lots of control over the world around us.
And its crazy on how much we DON'T know about hurricanes. 2 days ago they thought it would disappate into the ocean ... maybe hit northern florida. They were a little off. :(

QofQuimica said:

I second this motion. Good idea Q. :thumbup:

Sondra said:

:luck: and we'll be praying for you.

they are saying that if it remains a 5 and the eye hits New Orleans it will be the worst natural disaster ever in the US. all wood buildings will be gone, cement will take a beating, and high rises are a high risk for collapse.

My girlfriend's entire family lives in NO. They came up to stay with her family this weekend, but I just can't imagine the city getting wiped out like some people are saying it will. What will all the people and businesses do?

seilienne said:

Jeez.

Include all of the western seaboard in the earthquakes list

Psycho Doctor said:
wow!! are you serious? i know it's going to hit hard and will be awhile before it's safe to return...but a whole semester?? so they will all be behind a semester? yikes!

Well if the city is underwater for a couple months, how could they have class? I think there's a contigency plan to take courses at another university, but who knows.

I told my brother he has a wonderful opportunity to get a part time job as a gondolier.

tigress said:
Yeah, Hugo was a Category 4; it was a 5 until just before it hit (like I think might actually happen with Katrina...hopefully)

Thank God it's a 4 now.

morgan said:
Thank God it's a 4 now.

Yeah, it's a relief, but don't underestimate the power of a 4. As I said above, we were out of school for 3 weeks, and it took the city 5-10 years to rebuild, after Hugo. And NO has issues with water level and drainage on a good day. In that way it's somewhat similar but worse than Charleston, which floods if it rains at high tide because the storm drains go out to the harbor. I'm still really worried for everybody in Louisiana and surrounding areas in the path of this hurricane. :eek:

Its a 4 now but the pressure is still of what Andrew was additionally they are expecting a slow storm. Lots of water is one of the MAIN reasons of worry in NOLA. Look at the projected path, they aren't expecting it to speed up and its not going anywhere for the remainder of today. I hope those who remained prepared adequately1!

dilated said:
I just sent off my secondary last week and now I'm not worried about it getting lost in the mail

I hope it does get lost. That way you can go searching for your sense of compassion, too.

After SE LA, it is expected to land again in MS, then head up to TN. Pretty much the whole SE is going to be affected....and even worse, there are two more new systems out in the Atlantic forming right now. We're only halfway through hurricane season.....:eek:

QofQuimica said:
After SE LA, it is expected to land again in MS, then head up to TN. Pretty much the whole SE is going to be affected....and even worse, there are two more new systems out in the Atlantic forming right now. We're only halfway through hurricane season.....:eek:

Yeah, no kidding, and it seems like the worst ones come at the end, when the water has had the whole summer to warm up.

There have only been three Category 5 hurricanes to hit the US since people started recording hurricane data here (in the mid-1800s). One was Andrew, which was in August. Another was Camille, in 1969, but I don't know what month that was. And the other was the unnamed Labor Day hurricane of 1935, which hit the Florida Keys in September. Camille and the Labor Day one were both actually stronger than Andrew! :eek: And Hugo was in September.

Interestingly, in case anybody is interested in hurricane trivia, the worst decade for hurricanes was 1941-1950, during which there were 10 major hurricanes (Category 3.4.5) and 24 total hurricanes. In contrast, between 1991-2000 there were 5 major hurricanes and 14 total, and 2000-2004 there were 3 major hurricanes and 9 total. Between 1851-2004 there were 273 direct hurricane hits on the US coast, and 110 of those were in Florida! The next most common states are Texas with 59, Louisiana with 49, and North Carolina with 46. And one hurricane hit the Pennsylvania coast!

The good news is that the storm surge with Katrina is smaller than feared, but the flooding looks like it's still going to be major. Every time I look at pictures of destruction from a hurricane it brings back such strong memories of my childhood. I think these things really are traumatizing. I hope everybody from Tulane and other schools in the area is safe and doing well.

Pennsylvania has a coast? :eek:

Yeah they are saying the waves of hurricanes as we are due to the lack thereof the past 20 years.

I'm just glad they are saying that right now the flooding in NOLA is just from rain, not from storm surges!

The best/funniest hurricane quote I've read today:

''I could have stayed at home and watched my roof blow off,'' said one of the refugees, Harald Johnson, 43. ''Instead, I came down here and watched the Superdome roof blow off. It's no big deal; getting wet is not like dying.''

Hi again. I am at Memorial Hospital in Gulfport, MS. (60 miles east of New Olreans in Harrison County, MS) We have no outside communication except via email due to underground cables. I don't know where to start. I have only slept about 8 hours since 10/11am on Sunday morning. I have worked like never before. I can be thankful that we have our own well, running water, electricity, and internet. Our generator power nor food supply is expected to last past Thursday morning. I am sure we will get supplies, but it will be tight.

On Sunday morning, I left for work with 3 pairs of scrubs, socks and undergarments, a battery powered alarm clock, an Ann Rice novel and a small supply of food in my bookbad. These are now the only item I own. I was able to leave the hospital for a few hours during which time I went to check on my house and the family that I have that were still in town. My house in Bay St. Louis, MS, was completely filled with water and all of my belongings are destroyed. I have not been able to contact my boyfriend of five years. I have circulated his description and will try to locate him tomorrow if I have my releif show up.

My relief was in Atlanta, GA. She is my cousin. She called her mother who is in the northern part of the state and told her that she was stuck in Hattiesburg, MS (1.5 hours north of the hospital) because there was no gas to be purchased anywhere. Her mother emailed me at midnight and told me that as of an hour ago, she siphoned gas out of an abandoned vehicle to continue her trip. The gas she siphoned may still not be enough to get her here. Her mother said that she is now out of cell phone contact. The people who are able to use their cell phones get a verizon wireless message stating the at it will cost 2.99 to activate and 1.99 a minute to talk. We have been able to get a few outside phone calls to the hospital, but the phone lines are very messed up. We are able to use the phones for interhospital communication.

I spent part of my four hours outside today locating dead bodies and tying a red, plastic ribbon to the closest tree. Helicopters blades are a constant reminder as well as the blackness that surrounds me.

As far as anything being operational, it will be months before my hospital is restored. We have a lot of structural damage. The windows in the patient rooms and along the south (beach facing) side blew out. We had to put our patients in the hallway during the storm. We are now taking in so many people it is unreal. We are discharging patients and putting them on the floor in the cafeteria just so we can have the bed to put a new patient in. I have seen so many people who were submerged in water for hours. People are coming to the hospital because they have no where else to go. It will take several weeks just to restore sanitary conditions here, but it will take months to become fully functional and years to rebuild...

To Sondra and to everyone else affected by Hurricane Katrina, we will keep you in our prayers and hope for a safe and speedy recovery. I wish there was something else we could do, but I guess donating to the hurricane relief fund is a start. God bless and God speed.

Sondra - Please let us know if there is anything at all we can do for you. It is so admirable that you are working so hard to help others through this when you yourself have lost almost everything you own.

Sondra said:
Hi again. I am at Memorial Hospital in Gulfport, MS. (60 miles east of New Olreans in Harrison County, MS) We have no outside communication except via email due to underground cables. I don't know where to start. I have only slept about 8 hours since 10/11am on Sunday morning. I have worked like never before. I can be thankful that we have our own well, running water, electricity, and internet. Our generator power nor food supply is expected to last past Thursday morning. I am sure we will get supplies, but it will be tight.

On Sunday morning, I left for work with 3 pairs of scrubs, socks and undergarments, a battery powered alarm clock, an Ann Rice novel and a small supply of food in my bookbad. These are now the only item I own. I was able to leave the hospital for a few hours during which time I went to check on my house and the family that I have that were still in town. My house in Bay St. Louis, MS, was completely filled with water and all of my belongings are destroyed. I have not been able to contact my boyfriend of five years. I have circulated his description and will try to locate him tomorrow if I have my releif show up.

My relief was in Atlanta, GA. She is my cousin. She called her mother who is in the northern part of the state and told her that she was stuck in Hattiesburg, MS (1.5 hours north of the hospital) because there was no gas to be purchased anywhere. Her mother emailed me at midnight and told me that as of an hour ago, she siphoned gas out of an abandoned vehicle to continue her trip. The gas she siphoned may still not be enough to get her here. Her mother said that she is now out of cell phone contact. The people who are able to use their cell phones get a verizon wireless message stating the at it will cost 2.99 to activate and 1.99 a minute to talk. We have been able to get a few outside phone calls to the hospital, but the phone lines are very messed up. We are able to use the phones for interhospital communication.

I spent part of my four hours outside today locating dead bodies and tying a red, plastic ribbon to the closest tree. Helicopters blades are a constant reminder as well as the blackness that surrounds me.

As far as anything being operational, it will be months before my hospital is restored. We have a lot of structural damage. The windows in the patient rooms and along the south (beach facing) side blew out. We had to put our patients in the hallway during the storm. We are now taking in so many people it is unreal. We are discharging patients and putting them on the floor in the cafeteria just so we can have the bed to put a new patient in. I have seen so many people who were submerged in water for hours. People are coming to the hospital because they have no where else to go. It will take several weeks just to restore sanitary conditions here, but it will take months to become fully functional and years to rebuild...

Sondra,

I first want to say that my heart goes out to you. I hope you found the rest of your family and they are well. :luck: on finding your boyfriend as well. I can't believe that you would be charged that much for the cellphone. That is ridic and I hope price gouging charges are filed with the FCC. I do wish there was something that we could do.

Stay safe and thank you for the update. I hope you get some rest. :)

Wow, Sondra's story is incredible. It will take at least years to rebuild. I hope you and your boyfriend are okay, Sondra!

As far as Tulane, I saw a picture of a street with a sign that said "Tulane St." I don't know anything about NOLA but I assume that's near the school. Anyway, it was a horrible mess, and this was one of those big street signs at the top of the intersection over the road, but water was 3/4 of the way up to it. Now with two levees broken and the flooded Lake Ponchartrain pouring into the city, they say it might be a few weeks until NOLA residents are even allowed back into the city. I guess it will be months before they can pump out all the water completely. If you have interviews at Tulane, I'd assume they will be postponed. I hope everybody who is in school there, or in any other school in NOLA, is okay and ends up being able to go to school this semester!

Earlier, when I compared this hurricane to Hugo, it was before I realized the extent of flooding. Katrina might not only be the most expensive hurricane in US history (even topping Andrew), it also looks like the deadliest since Camille in 1969. And Camille was a tiny storm, so it didn't create very widespread damage like Katrina.

I am praying for everybody in that region. I hope they can fix up the levees in NOLA, and I hope all of the people in LA and Mississippi who are without homes, food, or water will be safe.

tigress said:
Wow, Sondra's story is incredible. It will take at least years to rebuild. I hope you and your boyfriend are okay, Sondra!

As far as Tulane, I saw a picture of a street with a sign that said "Tulane St." I don't know anything about NOLA but I assume that's near the school. Anyway, it was a horrible mess, and this was one of those big street signs at the top of the intersection over the road, but water was 3/4 of the way up to it. Now with two levees broken and the flooded Lake Ponchartrain pouring into the city, they say it might be a few weeks until NOLA residents are even allowed back into the city. I guess it will be months before they can pump out all the water completely. If you have interviews at Tulane, I'd assume they will be postponed. I hope everybody who is in school there, or in any other school in NOLA, is okay and ends up being able to go to school this semester!

Are you sure it wasn't Tulane Ave? Because if so, it's not really close to Tulane the school- Mr. Tulane was a wealthy dude who got alot of stuff named after him.

Sondra --

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

If you feel like posting please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. I've got free long-distance and unlimited minutes if you need someone to make calls for you.

Tulane Ave is not very close to campus... from everything I have heard so far, the northern half of the undergrad campus is submerged to depths of 5 feet (this is where all of the dorms are and some campus buildings), but the major academic quad does not have much flooding, though this could all change since the levees are still not fixed. The new university center that is being built on this campus just had giant windows put in about two weeks ago, but these windows are only safe up to a category 1 hurricane... good thinking tulane! All of the students that left with the university to jackson, mississippi are being told to try to go home if possible, and are being bussed to either atlanta or dallas. The med school hospital has had major flooding and many patients were evacuated because the generators on the second floor were being flooding and giving out. Over 80% of new orleans is under water. I am guessing that there will probably not be classes this semester, due to the extensive damage and cleanup, and power may not be fully restored for two months. My heart goes out to everyone who was directly effected by Katrina.