a drug information question for a class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakester2001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have a question that maybe one of you can help me with. Here it is a female patient has been diagnosed to have trichomoniasis. She is allergic to codeine, fluconazole, and metronidazole. How do I treat her. I am having a hell of a time with this question. I would really appreciate some help with this
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Have you checked the Sanford Guide? I'm positive you could find the answer there.

lakester2001 said:
Hey Everyone,

I have a question that maybe one of you can help me with. Here it is a female patient has been diagnosed to have trichomoniasis. She is allergic to codeine, fluconazole, and metronidazole. How do I treat her. I am having a hell of a time with this question. I would really appreciate some help with this
:)

Metronidazole is the only drug in the U.S. effective in treating trichomoniasis. If she is allergic, you're best alternative is to desensitize her then treat her.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found this site and it give some otc as well as other topical tx's. Hope this helps. I did not check cross rxn to see if the metronidazole allergy would conflict with these tx's. Although I think it is pretty funny that they say you can treat this type of illness with accupuncture or aroma therapy, well maybe the aroma part wouldn't be such a bad idea, !

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/articles/17599-6.asp

bsmith said:
I found this site and it give some otc as well as other topical tx's. Hope this helps. I did not check cross rxn to see if the metronidazole allergy would conflict with these tx's. Although I think it is pretty funny that they say you can treat this type of illness with accupuncture or aroma therapy, well maybe the aroma part wouldn't be such a bad idea, !

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/articles/17599-6.asp

They also have this disclaimer:
These therapies are not known to be beneficial, and no rigorous scientific evidence supports their use.