Recommended PDA programs? Free or not...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worriedwanda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys- just wondering what the scoop is on PDA programs- I just actually won a PDA and would love to fill it with helpful stuff.
What's worth buying??

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

worriedwanda said:
Hey guys- just wondering what the scoop is on PDA programs- I just actually won a PDA and would love to fill it with helpful stuff.
What's worth buying??

thanks.

mobilemerkmedicus.com is free, excellent program

epocrates rx is also free and a great program

mobilepdr is also good

diagnosaurus is good.

all of these are freeware

worriedwanda said:
What's worth buying??

thanks.

I use UpToDate all the time. It comes bundled with the Lexi-comp database (drug database) as well.

Wook

Members don't see this ad :)
I like 5-minute clinical consult and MicroMedix. If I could afford it I would use Updated.

I like 5-minute clinical consult and MicroMedix. If I could afford it I would use Uptodated.

betz said:
mobilemerkmedicus.com is free, excellent program

epocrates rx is also free and a great program

mobilepdr is also good

diagnosaurus is good.

all of these are freeware

I've googled mobilemerkmedicus with no luck - where do I find this to download?

It's mobilemerCkmedicus----as in Merck the pharmaceutical company.

wook said:
I use UpToDate all the time. It comes bundled with the Lexi-comp database (drug database) as well.

Wook

I have Lexi Drugs and I didn't get UpToDate with it. When did you purchase your program? Did you buy just LexiDrugs or a bundle that included other programs?

canjosh said:
It's mobilemerCkmedicus----as in Merck the pharmaceutical company.

Yeah, sorry. typo.

Merck...still a great program IMHO :thumbup:

I use Epocrates Essentials all the time. Our school has a deal where we got Inforetreiver free (through the library) and it's helpful. You can download the John Hopkins Antibiotic Guide from their website. I also like the Eponyms program. I use Up to Date online, but don't have it on my palm (get it free on the computers at the hospital... since I've practically lived here for the last 14 weeks, don't see the sense in paying for it.)
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
this should definitely be a sticky. I've found that a properly equipped pda is invariably the best tool I own (next to my steth, and flashlight).
I didn't have one until mid 4th yr (1.5 mo ago), so I learned mostly by carrying huge texts, pocket manuals, or going to the library when I had a chance. When I finally got one, my pockets became lighter, my learning curve went thru the roof- something about reading about a case while looking at the pt seems to reinforce the hell out of it- and I even have some USMLE 2 ck study material on it that I used for the exam. If there is one thing I'd change about my experience it would have been to get kaplan books on day one and read the corresponding book b4 the rotation starts, and to have a fully loaded pda... I guess that's 2 things, but you get the point. Either way though, free PDA programs are a good thing for any student starting rotations, andI think that by making this a sticky, we would be doing the future students a favor.

btw, I know we have a free pda downloads section on the sdn homepage, but it just doesn't have enuf on it. Also, it's just not regularly updated with new sites.

One professor from our school gave us some advice for palm and freeware, etc. I will post it in 2 posts, because it is so big. I hope it helps. ;)

I also second the sticky idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*ACLS ( www.palmgear.com) Free. 70K. Gives quick access to latest ACLS protocols.

Antibiotics Guide ( www.hopkins-abxguide.org) Free. Similar to ePocrates qID but laid out differently, contains diagnostic criteria, updates automatically. Weak on peds infections. From Johns Hopkins.

ATP 3 ( http://hin.nhlbi.nih.gov/atpiii/atp3palm.htm) Free. 334K. Interactive tool to assist with implementing the guidelines from the National Cholesterol Education Program’s 3rd report of Adult Treatment Panel (NCEP’s ATP III)

**Cholesterol ( www.statcoder.com) Free. 57K. Based on Framingham worksheets, calculates 10-yr CHD risk given age, gender, smoking status, diabetes, cholesterol, HDL, and BP. Then takes you through current recommendations for lipid targets based on ATP 3. Similar to ATP 3 above but smaller, a little easier to use. Is now in paid version of ePocrates.

Clearance ( www.statcoder.com) Free. 76K. Helps facilitate preoperative evaluation using your choice of two algorithms

Converter ( http://www.mattmarsh.net/computing/converter.shtml) Free. Converts over 200 units, from pounds <-> kg, international clothing sizes, F<->C, more.

*DoseCalc ( http://pocket-doc.com OR www.palmgear.com) ($15). 200K. Aids in calculation of medication doses. Allows rounding. (a similar program is included in paid version of ePocrates)

**ePocrates qRX ( www.epocrates.com): Free vs. $50/year. Around 1500K. The leading clinical drug reference guide. Provides information for the most commonly prescribed medications. Also has tables, ACLS protocols, antibiotic recommendations in <5 seconds on >400 pathogens and >400 antibiotic drugs, information on alternative drugs, more. Automatically updated with each sync.

*Growth ( www.statcoder.com) Free. 81K. Calculate growth percentiles and Z scores using the newly-revised CDC Growth Charts including the new BMI-for-age charts.

*InfoRetriever ( www.infopoems.com) Commercial. Search a database of thousands of validated studies and decision rules and clinical calculators, the Cochrane Database, drug information, evidence-based clinical guidelines, and the Five-Minute Clinical Consult.

*KidDose ( http://medical-data-solutions.com/kiddose.htm) $16. Like DoseCalc, but already contains current concentrations of >350 drugs. See http://medical-data-solutions.com/products.htm for several other commercial applications for pediatric care.

LabValues ( http://www.plowmed.com) $30. Generates differential diagnoses, common signs and symptoms, and treatment strategies based on standard blood chemistry and urine analysis. Has 30 treatment algorithms, common conversions & calculation, acid-base calculator, and preg wheel.

MedCalc ( http://netxperience.org/medcalc) Freeware. 138K. Medical calculator for many clinical formulas (A-a gradient, BMI, FeNa, pregnancy calculator, Q-Tc, and many more). Similar to MedMath but allows you to store calculations for specific patients (for later comparison or re-calculation).

**MedMath ( [email protected]) Freeware. 37K. Like MedCalc but smaller since it doesn’t allow storage of results for specific patients. Included in paid ePocrates.

**MedRules ( www.pbrain.hypermart.net) Freeware. 147K. Clinical prediction calculator (likelihood of acute sinusitis or strep pharyngitis or of CAD or DVT or PE or breast cancer; Bishop score….

*Mobile MerckMedicus ( www.merckmedicus.com ) Freeware. Includes Merck Manual, lab reference, Reuters medical news, more.

*OB Suite ( www.freewarepalm.com/medical/obsuite.shtml) Freeware. 839K. Pregnancy wheel (see PregWheel below) that also calculates Bishop scores and stores patient list, their dates and labs.

**PainSTAT ( www.goldenratiodesign.com) Shareware. 12K. Provides rapid calculation of approximate dose equivalents among frequently used opiate medications.

PatientKeeper ( www.patientkeeper.com) $ Around 500K. Palm-based EMR primarily designed for inpatient care. Allows for beaming information, tracking labs and vital signs….

Pneumonia ( http://pda.ahrq.gov) Freeware. Clinical calculator for decision-making on pneumonia mgmt.

PDR ( http://www.pdr.net) Free. Mobile version of PDR for Palm or PocketPC. With or without drug interaction tool.

PregPro ( www.thenar.com/pregcalc) Shareware, $20. 29K. Like OBSuite, but also gives fetal measurements, expected weight gain, labs, more. Can store patient info in registered version.

*Redi-Reference ( www.redi-reference.com) $20. Succinct listing of clinical guidelines on cardiology, ID, pulmonology, endocrinology, gynecology, neurology, psychiatry, more.

**Shots 2004 ( www.immunizationed.org) Freeware. 170K. Gives easy-to-understand graphic representation of the latest immunization schedule along with explanatory detail/text. A must have.

Skyscape ( www.skyscape.com) $ Has multiple medical references for purchase, from USMLE aids to 5MCC, many, many more. Often has sales, bundles, etc.

STAT E&M Coder, STAT ICD-9 Coder, STAT CPT Coder ( www.statcoder.com) Commercial, $29-75. Tools that facilitate accurate coding.

** a “must-have” for family physicians, and free * family physicians should seriously consider

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

General software that has medical application potential

*Album ToGo ( www.clubphoto.com) Free. 226K. PDA and desktop applications for viewing pictures and graphics on PDA.

AvantGo ( www.avantgo.com) Free. Each time you sync, download abstracts from your favorite medical journals, AMA news, USA Today, Augusta Chronicle (at www.augustachronicle.com/PalmPilot) etc.

Fireviewer ( www.fireviewer.com/index.html) Free. Image viewer. Multiple medical images available.

*HanDBase ( www.ddhsoftware.com OR www.handbase.com) Free demo, $25+ (532K). Powerful yet easy-to-use relational database program. I use it for pediatric milestones, lab value norms, procedure log, call schedule, predicted peak flow values….

*iSilo ( www.iSilo.com) Shareware (30 day demo, then $17.50). 671K. Compresses and views html pages. Several medical “iSilo pages” available for free, including:
AsthmaMeister ( www.MeisterMed.com) Free. Diagnosis, classification, treatment, pk flows….
CodeMeister ( www.MeisterMed.com) Free. Quick easy reference for ICD-9, V- and CPT codes.
LyteMeister ( www.MeisterMed.com) Free. Excellent reference on electrolyte abnormalities.

*WordSmith ( www.handmark.com) Shareware, $30, worth buying. 623K. Award-winning word processor that interfaces directly with MS Word. Allows various fonts and sizes, underlining, bold, bullets, more.

Here is the rest.

Websites to find other software and information on PDAs:

www.mcg.edu/library/eresources
http://barmacooper.com/drcooper.palm
www.Brighthand.com
www.Cliesource.com
www.docmd.com/pdasoftware
www.ebm2go.com
www.fppda.com
www.FreewarePalm.com
* www.handango.com
www.handheldmed.com
www.handheldsfordoctors.com
www.healthypalmpilot.com
http://hometown.aol.com/roboh98/palm.html
www.houseofficersoftware.com
www.Howardforums
www.journaltogo.com
www.keepkidshealthy.com/pedipilot.html
www.mdng.com
www.MedicalPocketPC.com
www.medicalwizards.com
www.medscape.com
www.memoware.com
www.palm.net
http://palmdoc.blogspot.com
www.palmdocs.org
* www.PalmGear.com
www.palminfocenter.com/index
http://www.palmpilotarchives.com
www.palmtipsheet.com/issues.html
http://pbrain.hypermart.net
www.Pdabuyersguide.com
www.pdaconsults.com
www.pdacortex.com
www.pdalive.com/
www.pdamd.com
www.pdashine.lesliefranke.com/
www.pdastreet.com/
www.pdr.net
www.phonescoop.com
www.pilotzone.com
http://pocket-doc.com
www.pocketloft.com
www.qualnetweb.com
* www.tucows.com
http://uhimrp.hawaii.edu/pilotpublic/appindex.htm
www.urmc.rochester.edu/FamMed/PDAatFMC.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Basic info on PDA’s:
www.pdalive.com www.jimthompson.net/handhelds/
www.the-gadgeteer.com www.pdabuzz.com
www.handheldnews.com www.palminfocenter.com
www.smaller.com
www.cesinc.com -- Quick Office: a $30 suite of three programs: word processor, spread sheet, graphing
www.mapopolis.com -- free maps by county
www.irprint.com and www.stevenscreek.com/pilot/palmprint.shtml -- Infrared printing
http://discussion.brighthand.com/index.php? discussions on PDAs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For specific Palm OS PDA models and prices:

www.ZDNet.com www.cnet.com www.pdabuzz.com

See www.palm.com, www.sony.com for more details and information on specific products/models.

Features to consider:
- get Palm OS 5.0 or later
- memory expansion of some form (Memory Stick, SD, MMC…all are good)
- how much internal memory (RAM, get at least 32 MB, more is better)
- processor speed (bigger number is faster)

Options that may or may not be useful to you, but will cost you more money:
- built-in keyboard
- camera or not (most are low-resolution, won’t be used much)
- voice recorder (nice for memos to self, will you use it?)
- WiFi (802.11b) or not – allows wireless internet, email when in a wireless network
- BlueTooth or not – used less, short-range communication between devices
- Mp3 player, headphone jack

Adobe Acrobat for PDAs – www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrmobiledevices.html

Audio Players: Pocket Tunes -- www.palmgear.com

Infrared Access Point: irdaNet -- www.cpx.com/products_b.asp?c=Infrared+Products

Presentations: Presenter To Go – www.margi.com/products/prod_ptg.htm

Printing: PrintBoy -- www.bachmannsoftware.com/printboy.htm
HP Mobile Printing – www.hp.com/pond/mep/download/ppcdownload.html

Video: AVI-MPEG converter – www.winmpg.com
HyperCam – www.tucows.com/mmedia/preview/195052.html
Movie Viewer – www.mpegtv.com/wince/pockettv/encoding.html
TealMovie – www.tealpoint.com
Video Framer – www.flickerfree.com

Here is an email that our class received to get a free pretest for your palm. Great software!

[size=+2]FREE PDA Software for 3rd Year (Class of 2007) Medical Students,[/size]

Do you own a PalmOS PDA? Would you like to make much better use of your time on the wards? If the answer to these two questions is 'yes', then you will be interested to know that we are currently offering a limited number of 3rd year (Class of 2007) medical students FREE copies of a new interactive PreTest software application.

This new interactive Brain Glue PreTest software (based upon the popular clinical vignette series of the same name by McGraw-Hill Publishing) is designed to help you make the most out of your time on the wards by allowing for the on-site, effortless integration of written clinical information with your hands-on wards experience. Recapture hours normally lost each day as 'down time' as you answer PreTest clinical vignette questions in preparation for your shelf and Step 2 USMLE exams!

If having a more satisfying learning experience during your clinical clerkships while simultaneously improving your ability to match into the residency of your choice sounds good to you, then please contact us at [email protected] regarding your desired PreTest software. Please include basic information such as your name as well as that of your medical school.

After being launched at this year's AMSA convention (Booth #84) in D.C., this new Brain Glue PreTest series software (download free demos of any of these PreTest titles by clicking here) has been put to good use, and with exellent results, by scores of third year medical students at schools across the country including Baylor, Emory, Georgetown, Harvard, Northwestern, NYU, UAB, UCLA, UCSD, UNC, UVA, Washington U, and many others. You too can experience the bliss of 3rd year self-actualization, and we look forward to hearing from you today!

Sincerely,
The Palm PreTest Team
[email protected]
Ph: (256) 762-7584

These are great suggestions- thanks to everyone who posted!! :thumbup:

I don't know what a sticky is yet- but I'm all for sharing this info..
I'm downloading the Abx guide for sure and checking many others out. I'll be needing an expansion card!

Thanks again!

Wanda :)

great info!!! thanks everybody :thumbup:

I'm a big fan of Lexi . Pricey, and the UI is a bit more cumbersome than Epocrates, but I find the drug info much more complete than any other source. Want accurate peds dosing? Details pharmacokinetics? Critical care comments? I haven't found any other program to give such information, and in such a useable format. Sorry to sound so preachy, but I really love Lexi.

Anyone know a good medical abbreviations program/reference? I am having some trouble on the wards reading other people's notes b/c I dont understand some of the abbreviations. Thanks in advance!

betz said:
Anyone know a good medical abbreviations program/reference? I am having some trouble on the wards reading other people's notes b/c I dont understand some of the abbreviations. Thanks in advance!

I am also in search of a good program that has OTC drugs in it and even alternative/herbal medicine.

lvspro said:
this should definitely be a sticky.

Actually it should be stickied where all the other threads on the subject are in the Technology forum.

Pox in a box said:
Actually it should be stickied where all the other threads on the subject are in the Technology forum.

true, i was surprised that this post wasnt moved over there. *shrugs*

Any discount codes for the different bundles out there? :scared:

betz said:
I am also in search of a good program that has OTC drugs in it and even alternative/herbal medicine.

Did a quick looking into Epocrates and Lexi. Both full versions have harbals, though I'm not sure who has more. Lexi also has a "book" (module on the PDA) specifically for herbals, whereas Epocrates has them all mixed together.

Lexi has extensive entries for OTC brand names (i.e.-Advis Allergy Sinus, Advil Cold & Sinus, Advil Infants, etc), whereas Epocrates doesn't even list Advil. Both list both brand names and drug names for prescription drugs, although I've run across a few drugs that Lexi has that Epocrates doesn't.

Sorry, don't mean to sound like a sales person for Lexi, but there is actually some published literature on this topic that Lexi loves to show off .

Meat Cookie said:
You can get hundreds of these medical programs for Palm on one CD, including the whole 5-MCC series, Washington Manual, Harrison's, etc. Private message me if interested.

Hi, my name is John, and I've just purchased Palm Lifedrive.

Are the software that you mention compatible with Palm Lifedrive?

Can u give me a list of titles on your CD, and how much you would charge?

Thanks.

J

I trialed both the first aid:medicine and firstaid :pediatrics. You can only put them on the on board memory, they won't run off an SD or CF card. Lame.

On top of that my opinion of them was decidedly average. They aren't even worth finding a pirated copy of imo. I did like the 'exam tips' and 'ward tips' - I can't remember how useful the tips were, but I liked the gimmick.

betz said:

Lexi has MedAbbrev , which is very useful.

Skyscape has Stedman's Abbreviations & Acronym Pocket

Both Lexi and Epocrates full versions do herbal medications. Epocrates includes herbals in with the rest of the drugs, which is convenient, whereas Lexi has them in a separate "book". I think the info in Lexi tends to be a little more complete.

Both Lexi adn Epcorates cover OTC medications. The Lexi info tends to be a little more complete in this regard as well.

Anybody know about software for medical spanish?

I have a nice write-up on this:
http://www.thealo.com/maloblog/index.asp?ci=16&s=category

I need to update it, because the new epocrates essentials is so well designed and so well done, that you don't need any other program anymore. Now it has the 5MCC disease database, the Symptoms that gives you a differential diagnosis by symptoms, the Infectious disease stuff from stanford guide, plus updates, and the lab value stuff. It is all interrelated and interlinked it is so amazing what it does. I have deleted everything else from my palm. This has it all. It's unbelievable now.

Hi all,

I see plenty of software here for Palms... anyone know of any good programs for the Blackberry? Thanks!

go to skyscape.com and there's a program there called medical abbreviations... some of the abbreviations you won't find (and that's because the attending made it up) but most of them are there...

for palm and ppc but you have to pay for it...

skyscape has a program that installs all the content of emedicine on your palm. imagine, the ever reliable emedicine.com database all in your palm, always accessible without bluetooth/wifi connection? woah! greatest app ever for a medical student... too bad they already pulled it out in the market...

I'm sure you guys have covered every possible freeware available, but I'll ask anyway. Does anyone know of a FREE medical dictionary for the pocketpc or pda ?

The MerckMedicus thing requires a registration number. Does anybody know how med students register?

I've used the Johns Hopkins Abx guide for years; it is truly a handy tool. However, I recently bought a new computer, and I can no longer install the program. The install program freezes up about 5 seconds into the installation. I'm suspecting that this is due to Windows Vista (old computer had Windows XP). Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

The MerckMedicus thing requires a registration number. Does anybody know how med students register?

I am wondering this as well...

I have the epocrates essential package, which includes the diagnostic suite, etc. If I'm comfortable tapping my way around the pda, is there any reason I should still carry around something like Ferri's or Washington's pocket manual? Would I be missing something?

Also, is there much of a difference between pda medical dictionaries. I hear and read about Dorlands and Stedmans, but are they any better than the epocrates dictionary that costs half the price?

edit: I guess the epocrates dictionary is still a subscription, while Dorlands is not. So maybe it isn't cheaper...

Our school subscribes to Epocrates and it is the shiz. It's basically the only program I use. It offers drug info, sx differentials, disease sxs management and tx. It has a med math type program built in... I would suggest purchasing the full version. As for other programs, sometimes I use Stedman's to look up acronyms and obscure words. Also, you can get netter's atlas as well... honestly I've never had to use it except when impressing other students. If you torrent for PDA medical books you can get a folder of like 50 programs, but most of them I'd never use.