USC Keck MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianHenderson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the USC MD/PhD (or is it MSTP) program?

This page is the only non-USC review I've found ( I don't know if its any good so I wanted to check out the facts).

http://www.geocities.com/mdphdpgm/

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure how helpful this is, but I interviewed there back in 1999. The school was a really big turn-off. They made no effort to match my interviewers to my field of interest, so the interviews (who were actually pretty hostile) didn't even know if mentors existed in my chosen field! I did ask about the money question, and it was only paritally funded (like BU). They got really defensive about my questions on funding, and I was very direct b/c I had already gotten fully-funded offers by the time I interviewed.

LA County Hospital sucked beyond belief! The building was very old with NO AC!!! When we toured the ER, there was extreme patient overcrowding, sick people sitting and waiting on the floor, and it reeked of urine. They also told me straight up I needed to be fluent in Spanish (I've studied French instead). The hospital serves most of the underserved population, and knowing Spanish is a must.
I agree the area surrounding Keck med school was scary and depressing (considering my hometown is Detroit!), and the stipend that existed was not reflective of the cost-of-living near LA.

I felt the whole interview was a waste of my time and money. Not sure how much things have improved since then!

Interesting and damning. I wonder, does anyone know how to access the NIH rankings for MD/PhD programs that the review's author cites?

This page is the only non-USC review I've found ( I don't know if its any good so I wanted to check out the facts).

This site gave me a chuckle, but for those who are a little saavy than your debonair mdphd.intransit.us webmaster (I don't know if "debonair" and "webmaster" can go in the same sentance...) and JPaikman (who also clearly got it), let me point out that this is parody of the review section on the website, and a lampoon of USC.

Clearly the lampooner feels passionately about USC - even to the point of kindly providing alternatives; it's almost nice to see a little chutzpah in this rarified world of md/phd admissions.

Weather or not USC deserves this barrage is not for me to say; I don't know the place - but more "real" reviews about the place could provide a more accurate picture.

I wonder, does anyone know how to access the NIH rankings for MD/PhD programs that the review's author cites?

No such NIH ranking exists, or has ever existed. The NIH isn't run by Mortimer B. Zuckerman, and does not suffer from his imprimateur.

And finally, to the OP: tis a good thing this isn't Britain, for I imagine that if Brian Henderson cared enough to do so, a libel suit could sail your way as you tread further with that handle.

Cheers.

Habari said:
This site gave me a chuckle, but for those who are a little saavy than your debonair mdphd.intransit.us webmaster (I don't know if "debonair" and "webmaster" can go in the same sentance...) and JPaikman (who also clearly got it), let me point out that this is parody of the review section on the website, and a lampoon of USC.

Clearly the lampooner feels passionately about USC - even to the point of kindly providing alternatives; it's almost nice to see a little chutzpah in this rarified world of md/phd admissions.

Weather or not USC deserves this barrage is not for me to say; I don't know the place - but more "real" reviews about the place could provide a more accurate picture.

No such NIH ranking exists, or has ever existed. The NIH isn't run by Mortimer B. Zuckerman, and does not suffer from his imprimateur.

And finally, to the OP: tis a good thing this isn't Britain, for I imagine that if Brian Henderson cared enough to do so, a libel suit could sail your way as you tread further with that handle.

Cheers.

Heh-heh. Guess I fell for it. Reminds me that I need to step back and lighten up once in awhile during this stressful process. Couldn't imagine that SC would be so bad, so that should have tipped me off right away. Thanks!

USC's MD/PhD program is not a MSTP. However, it has recently become a fully-funded program. Last year's and this year's students have all tuition fees covered in adition to a stipend. USC does have a joint program with Caltech where selected individuals are offered the opportunity to obtain their PhD at Caltech. County Hospital is ancient, but USC and LA County is in the process of constructing a new County Hospital that should open in 2007. Since this is the county hospital, of course you will be expected to care for the underserved, low-income and homeless, but for those you of you who cannot handle this, USC also has University Hospital (but expect most of your time to be spent at County). Don't be turned off by County. There, you receive a diverse medical education that most other schools cannot provide. As for the Spanish requirement, it is not really a requirement, but it would aid you greatly during your time at County, especially during your clerkships. For those of you who are rusty, USC offers Medical Spanish elective courses during the first two years of med school.

For the individual who did not have a good interview experience at USC I am very sorry. I interviewed with USC recently and had a great expereince. They did a wonderful job of coordinating my interviews with faculty members in my area of research interest and I had the opportunity to speak with one of the faculty members I had requested to interview with. I never received the impression of hostility from any of my faculty interviewers. Maybe a lot has changed between the time you and I interviewed, but I can say the program is making a concerted effort to improve itself.

I hope this helps.

The page he references:

makes a lot of good points. I wonder why USC hosts a 'MD/PhD Program' but won't even grant the students tuition wavers for the MSIII, MSIV years??

If I'm not accepted into a MSTP or fully-funded program I'm going to enroll in a state school and apply for funding after year 1. 4 years of tuition at a UC school at ~$20,000 is roughly equivalent to 2 years at USC at ~$39,000. Plus the state schools have better hospitals and reputations.
I'm from Irvine so I haven't been to the USC medical campus but I've heard its pretty terrible.

In addition to having the support of the school, I've heard that the MSTP programs elsewhere (such as at UCI) are far more successfull in attracting diversity.

According to a email I received, the USC MD/PhD Program has never had an under-represented minority (URM) student in its history (since 1987)!

Does anyone know if thats true?? If so, thats truly amazing- how does the program not get sued for discrimination, I wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.