interview suit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peace84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm sure this has been asked before, but i can't find anything when i search. does anyone have any suggestions on what to wear to an interview? or where to find a nice suit? what color blouse? what kind of shoes? for a female

Members don't see this ad.

if money's a little tight (which it is for me and i think most of us), check out outlet malls, ann taylor loft and casual corner/petite sophisticate. get a nice conservative suit -- pant suits are fine -- basically just no funky or way too bright colors, too short skirts, etc. loafers work for pant suits, but skirt suits seem to require heels. also, if you opt for the skirt suit, go on the safe side and wear hose.

shirts aren't a big deal -- look for cheap options at places like tj maxx. actually, this is where it's cool to be a woman because we can have more fun with our tops. do the conservative suit, and you can go for the sort of funky shirt. personally, i hate oxford style shirts, so i don't wear 'em. they can look really cool and professional, though, so if you dig 'em, wear it. sweater tops also work, as do those tank top shells. again, check out places like ann taylor loft and casual corner for ideas. the color is not a huge deal. mainly, just go for something that looks good on you.

There is an online store called Chadwicks. It is super cheap and high quality classic suits and shirts. Now, what I mean by classic suit is no low waist suits and they fit normal women. I bought about 3 nice button up shirts for 30-40 bucks total and 2 suits for $80 total, one black and gray. So with just these purchases I am good for about 6 interviews with different outfits. They fit great and look great. For that price I think you should be good. They have every color imaginable for shirts. Some of the clothes are a little cheesy but I just go there for business attire. Heel are good with anything. They are great for looking more pulled together (just a subconscious thing). Heels MAKE you have better posture but if you are walking around all day I would suggest flats.

Members don't see this ad :)
do u end up taking off your jacket when u sit down with your interviewer or is it proper etiquette to leave it on? what about your pants?

markboonya said:
do u end up taking off your jacket when u sit down with your interviewer or is it proper etiquette to leave it on? what about your pants?
never take your pants off when sitting down for an interview....

sorry I couldn't help myself. I took my jacket off when I was eating dinner at one interview and while walking around because it was very hot at the other. But the rest of the time I wore it and I kept it on for the interview. That was when I wanted to look the most professional. I bought a bunch of the button down shirts but didn't end up wearing them because they were so uncomfortable and they kept causing my jacket to ride up. I ended up buying a normal ol' dress shirt for underneath (slick silver color c beads and a black tanktop underneath it bc I thought it was a little too low. It looked like all one shirt.) and I wore a black Express pant suit. I think it is important to wear something underneath that would still be professional if the jacket comes off just in case you get really hot. It's better to take off the jacket than to pass out. :)

I :love: Banana Republic....and you can actually get some good stuff either on sale or on clearance most of the time.

I got a really expensive designer suit ($1K) for a great deal... like $100 @ Neiman Marcus Outlet. It had a tiny flaw that my Mom fixed on the collar near the tag... since I have long hair you wouldn't be able to see it anyways.
Definitley check out Nordstrom's outlet, Liz Claiborne Outlet, ect... if you have them where you live.

The great thing about buying an expensive suit (even though you don't pay the price tag)... the fabric is very breathable, comfortable (usually natural silk and wool vs. polyester) and they tend to hang very nicely because they are cut well. If for any reason, your suit does not hang right--GET IT ALTERED!!!

My black/navy suit consited of a jacket and a knee length A-line skirt, I wore it with comfortable, yet somewhat stylish black suede pumps (2" heel, closed toe), and a simple, black leather bag.

For the shirt, I've worn either a solid color sweater shell or a button-down solid color shirt. My jewelry was a simple pendant necklace, stud earrings and one simple small tennis-style bracelet.

I think it's imporant that you wear something comfortable for you, and also that you wear something that's not completely out of character for you.

There are ways to add personality to a simple traditional suit.

;)