International Dental Volunteer Organizations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you ever interested in volunteering as a dental student/dental instructor/dentist abroad, the ADA has this great reference which I recently acquired for free. It is entitled "International Dental Volunteer Organizations: A Guide to Service and a Directory of Programs." (2004)

The guide briefly discusses various issues such as : oral health needs in populations abroad, types of projects, safety considerations, dental equipment required, personal items required, and culture shock.

Some of the relevant reading material mentioned are:

Where There Is No Dentist by Murray Dickson. Berkeley:Hesperian Foundation , 1983.

McCann, D. "Volunteerism:The Gift of Hope." Journal of the American Dental Association 1990;120:128-139

Do's and Taboos Around the World: A Guide to International Behavior by Roger E.Axtell. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.1993.

The Travel & Tropical Medicine Manual 3rd ed. by Elaine C.Jeng and Russell McMullen. Philadelphia:Saunders, 1999.

Oral Diseases in the Tropics by Ed. Soro Prabhu, D.F Wilson, D.K.Daftary and N.W.Johnson, Oxford:Oxford University Press,1993.

Websites of volunteer organizations which need dentists/dental students/assistants/hygienists:

Academy of Dentistry International (Secular)
www.adint.org
Afghanistan Dental Relief Project (Secular)
www.adrpinc.org
Africa Inland Mission (AIM) (Christian)
www.aim-us.org
Amazon Basin Benevolent Association, Inc. (ABBA) (Christian)
www.abbaperu.org
Amazon-Africa Aid Organization (AAAO) (Secular)
www.amazonafrica.org
American Jewish World Service (Jewish)
www.ajws.org
American Refugee Committee (ARS) (Secular)
www.archq.org
Armenian Dental Society of California (Secular)
www.adsc.us
Armenian-American Health Association of Greater Washington (Secular)
www.aahagw.org
Back to God Ministries (Christian)
www.gobacktogod.com
Belize Mission Project (Christian)
www.belizemissionproject.com
Carelift International (Secular)
www.carelift.org
Catholic Medical Mission Board, Inc.
www.cmmb.org
Catholic Network of Volunteer Service (CNVS)
www.cnvs.org
Choice Humanitarian (Secular)
www.choicehumanitarian.org
Christian Dental Association
www.cmdahome.org
Christian Dental Society (CDS)
www.christiandental.org
Citizens Development Corps (CDC) (Secular)
www.cdc.org
Dental Project Peru (Secular)
www.dentalprojectperu.org
Dental Volunteers for Israel (DVI)- The Trudi Birger Dental Clinic (Secular)
www.dental-dvi.co.il Doctors of the World (Secular) [url]www.doctorsoftheworld.org
Ecuadent (Secular)
www.ecuadent.org
Flying Doctors of America (Secular)
www.fdoamerica.org
Friends of Dental Volunteers for Israel (Secular)
www.dental-dvi.co.il
Fundacao Esperanca (Secular)
http://www.amazonafrica.org/
Glens Falls Medical Mission Foundation
www.gfmmf.org
Global Humanitarian Expeditions (Secular)
www.humanitariantours.com
Global Outreach Mission (Christian)
www.globaloutreachmission.org
Health Talents International, Inc (HTI) (Christian)
www.healthtalents.org
Health Volunteers Overseas (HVO) (Secular)
www.hvousa.org
Himalayan Health Exchange (Secular)
www.himalayanhealth.com
Hospitals of Hope International (HOH) (Christian)
www.hospitalsofhope.org
Liga International (Secular)
www.ligainternational.org
Los Medicos Voladores (LMV) (Secular)
www.flyingdocs.org
Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod World Mission (LCMS) (Christian)
www.lcmsworldmission.org
Medical Expeditions International (Secular)
www.medexinternational.org
Medical Eye & Dental International Care Organization (MEDICO) (Secular)
www.medico.org
Medical Wings International (Secular)
www.medicalwings.org
Medicine Arm-in-Arm, Inc. (Secular)
www.medarminarm.org
Mentawei Venture (Christian)
www.mentaweiventure.org
Mercy Ships (Christian)
www.mercyships.org
Mexican Medical Ministeries (Christian)
http://www.mexicanmedical.com/dentsurg.php
Miracle Corners of the World (MCW) (Secular)
www.missiondoctors.org
Missionary Ventures, Inc. (MVI) (Interdenominational)
www.mvi.org
Nazarene Health Care Ministeries (NHCM)(Christian)
www.nazhealth.org
Northwest Medical Teams (NWMT) (Christian)
www.nwmedicalteams.org
Omni Med (Secular)
www.omnimed.org
Operation Blessing International (Christian)
www.ob.org
Operation Smile International (Secular)
www.operationsmile.org
Peacework (Secular)
www.peacework.org
Project AmaZon (PAZ) (Christian)
www.projectamazon.org
Project C.U.R.E (Secular)
www.projectcure.org
Project Stretch, Inc. - Dentistry Reaching Out to Children (Secular)
www.projectstretch.org
Quesimpuco Health Foundation (Christian)
www.quesimpuco.org
Remote Area Medical Foundation (Secular)
www.ramusa.org
Solid Rock Missions (SRM) (Christian)
www.solidrockmissions.org
TEAM (Christian)
www.teamworld.org
Tribal Outreach Medical Assistance Foundation (TOMA) (Secular)
http://tribaloutreach.org/rusch.htm
Ukraine Children's Project
www.childrenofukraine.org
United Nations Volunteers (UNV)(Secular)
www.unv.org
Uplift International (Secular)
www.upliftinternational.org
Wings of Morning, Inc. (Christian)
http://www.womorg.org/Whoweare.html

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the information! I hope to someday spend my "holidays" doing international work as well. I'll tuck these away for future reference.

Pesed said:
Thanks for the information! I hope to someday spend my "holidays" doing international work as well. I'll tuck these away for future reference.

Your welcome. It's nice to see that there are like minded people in this profession. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Great resource!!! Thanks for putting that together for us... :thumbup: :thumbup:

burton117 said:
Great resource!!! Thanks for putting that together for us... :thumbup: :thumbup:

No problema! De nada! :D

I've spent a number of months looking into this project and had the idea in mind for years so I thought that once I had the information, it would be nice to share it with others. I like being a little "helper" :)

Being lucky enough to be born into our society and having the privilege of being a member of this profession, I feel like it is almost an obligation to share our knowledge and skills with others around the world, if we have the opportunity. :thumbup:

I am sure that when I get involved in such projects, I will find it a very enriching experience.

And BTW, I like your Buscaglia quote. I am a big fan of his too! :)

I waited forever to get this document from the ADA. I just went to dentalvolunteer.com, plus it lets you search by country, whereas with this list i have to go through each opportunity to find out where i want to go.

how do you go about getting this document from the ADA anyway?

burton117 said:
how do you go about getting this document from the ADA anyway?

you have to email them or something.. . it is pretty slow. just search on the dentalvolunteer web site. it is much easier

Has anyone been able to participate in these missions as a dental student w/o breaking the bank?

I'd like to hear your experiences as well.

Clipse said:
Has anyone been able to participate in these missions as a dental student w/o breaking the bank?

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to participate in any of these missions yet but I intend to ASAP .

I intend on keeping a "travel" journal to record my experiences of such things like my perception of the political situation of the country in question, the cultural differences and dental needs/procedures performed.

I don't know what I will do with this journal. I may just share it with some family and close friends or publish it in some form along with photographs I may take on my journeys.

It's the dream of a lifetime! I can't wait! :)

Clipse said:

I did several mission trips during dental school. I does get expensive. Many of the organizations will give you materials to help you solicit funds from family and friends. I did this for the first one that I went on, but after that, I didn't want to ask again. The other times I paid out of pocket--well worth it regardless.

I found my organization through that list on the ADA website. It was a lot longer back then.

OMFSCardsFan said:
I did several mission trips during dental school. I does get expensive. Many of the organizations will give you materials to help you solicit funds from family and friends. I did this for the first one that I went on, but after that, I didn't want to ask again. The other times I paid out of pocket--well worth it regardless.

I found my organization through that list on the ADA website. It was a lot longer back then.

Do residency programs prefer mission trips in addition to or instead of externships? Do you feel that mission trips helped you secure a residency. What type of work were you able to do during your missions?

Thanks.

jasonallexia said:
you have to email them or something.. . it is pretty slow. just search on the dentalvolunteer web site. it is much easier

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Clipse said:
Do residency programs prefer mission trips in addition to or instead of externships? Do you feel that mission trips helped you secure a residency. What type of work were you able to do during your missions?

Thanks.
It would help convince me that a "I really love to help people" statement in your CV was a little more believable. I like seeing it on a CV because I don't think that you can do any mission work and not have it affect you. Ask anyone that has done any, and they'll tell you. It changes you. It's hard to explain.

Even the poorest people in our country have a roof, clean water, food, etc. Some people in other parts of the world have absolutely nothing. Despite having nothing, my experience with people in third world countries is that they are the kindest, most appreciative, and genuinely happy people in the world. Many of them have had such a difficult life that they just can't quite comprehend why we are there helping them. It doesn't make sense to them, because they have never had anyone give anything to them in their lives. It's nice to be appreciated. It really redeems my faith in humanity by going. When I deal with unappreciative, irresponsible, nonpaying patients every day, who do nothing but bitch, moan, and make demands, I get pissed off. MY tax dollars are paying for these people to get free treatment, and they act like I'm an inconvenience for them. It's extremely irritating. I can go to another country, treat ten times the patients, and come home feeling recharged simply from being appreciated.

On two trips, I did only exodontia. On one other, I mixed in some fillings and sealants, but did primarily exodontia.

Clipse said:

Thanks.
It would help convince me that a "I really love to help people" statement in your CV was a little more believable. I like seeing it on a CV because I don't think that you can do any mission work and not have it affect you. Ask anyone that has done any, and they'll tell you. It changes you. It's hard to explain.

Even the poorest people in our country have a roof, clean water, food, etc. Some people in other parts of the world have absolutely nothing. Despite having nothing, my experience with people in third world countries is that they are the kindest, most appreciative, and genuinely happy people in the world. Many of them have had such a difficult life that they just can't quite comprehend why we are there helping them. It doesn't make sense to them, because they have never had anyone give anything to them in their lives. It's nice to be appreciated. It really redeems my faith in humanity by going. When I deal with unappreciative, irresponsible, nonpaying patients every day, who do nothing but bitch, moan, and make demands, I get pissed off. MY tax dollars are paying for these people to get free treatment, and they act like I'm an inconvenience for them. It's extremely irritating. I can go to another country, treat ten times the patients, and come home feeling recharged simply from being appreciated.

On two trips, I did only exodontia. On one other, I mixed in some fillings and sealants, but did primarily exodontia.

OMFSCardsFan said:

I can't wait till I have my first experiences!

I really like what you said about the experience redeeming your faith in humanity. :)

In regards to how people in the West seem to be more unhappy than people in the developing world, I am reading an excellent book at the moment entitled :"The Conquest of Happiness" by Bertrand Russell. Russell explores the reasons why there seems to be so much unhappiness among people in "civilized" countries.

Thanks, for sharing,OMFSCardsFan. :thumbup:

"If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have paradise in a few years."-Bertrand Russell

"The most valued things in life are not measured in monetary terms. The really important things are not houses and lands,stocks and bonds,automobiles and real estate, but friendships,trust, confidence,empathy, mercy,love and faith."
-Bertrand Russell

Smilemaker100 said:
In regards to how people in the West seem to be more unhappy than people in the developing world, I am reading an excellent book at the moment entitled :"The Conquest of Happiness" by Bertrand Russell. Russell explores the reasons why there seems to be so much unhappiness among people in "civilized" countries.
I wish I had time to read anything but oral surgery and USMLE material. Maybe I'll check it out when I get to medical school. :D

nice...do you think these would be open to pre-dents?

Thanks for posting all this info, these are things that I've really been interested in as well! It is refreshing to see the spirit of giving in this thread, so keep it up.:)

I would love to volunteer. How do you all plan to pay the costs though? Its not as if I am working. I doubt anyone here is. Are you just using loan money?

I would love to volunteer. How do you all plan to pay the costs though? Its not as if I am working. I doubt anyone here is. Are you just using loan money?

I got friends and family to donate the costs for one -- tax deductible depending on the organization. I paid for the others out of my loans. Well worth it.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

This is all so true it's not even funny.

nice...do you think these would be open to pre-dents?

I know at my undergrads school many of our predental guys in our predental club got to go to 3rd world countries and assist. As a pre, D1 or D2 i doubt you will be able to do much (another debate is on the ethical implications) but assist. Correct me if i am wrong. It is a great resume builder though.

I went to uvsc predental club for undergrad.

maybe you can ask there.