Pain Fellowships in Midwest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KluverBucy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know which programs in the midwest are at the top? thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Two midwest programs that come to mind are Mayo and Cleveland Clinic. I have not been able to get much information on the Chicago programs.

mehul_25 said:
Two midwest programs that come to mind are Mayo and Cleveland Clinic. I have not been able to get much information on the Chicago programs.
Texas tech

Members don't see this ad :)
md2k said:
Texas tech

Last i heard, some of the faculty from Texas tech was being "recruited" or enticed to UT-Southwestern in Dallas, much like professional sports free agents.

T

Doctodd said:
Last i heard, some of the faculty from Texas tech was being "recruited" or enticed to UT-Southwestern in Dallas, much like professional sports free agents.

T

two of the big guys left for UTSW while the other retired. i'm thus heading to Dallas next year and can't wait. hook 'em

Rush

Northwestern (with Benzon?)

Loyola (Candido?)

Doctodd said:

T

I think Texas Tech was able to re-tool with Mark Boswell though.

Disciple said:
I think Texas Tech was able to re-tool with Mark Boswell though.

when did he leave Case Western & who's PD there in Cleveland now?

I think he signed on with Tech around August 05 but did not physically started until around December. Very nice guy. This will make up for Dr. Raj's retirement and Dr. Racz's semi-retirement.

Based on his teachings at the review course i attended last august, i would say that Dr. Candido at Loyola in Chicago is an outstanding teacher. Dont know about the entire program though.

T

The Cleveland Clinic is the best interventional pain program in the midwest, and is likely the most interventional program in the country. It is a busy program however, so if you want to loaf around, eat donuts and drink coffee this is not the program for you. You have to take 2 overnight calls a month, which includes covering 10 or so chronic patients and approximately 40 epidurals/peripheral nerve catheters.
We currently have 6 fellows and could really use 3 or 4 more. There are frequently procedures that go without fellows/residents because we don't have enough people to cover them. There are 10+staff so you get to learn different techniques and see more complications. There are world reknown staff such as M. Stanton-Hicks, N. Mekhail, S. Hayek, and L. Kapural who you work with every day.
Our experience includes virtually all modalities, with a heavy interest on neuromodulation and intradiscal therapies. the CC is a center for many current investigations such as neuromodulation for abdominal and visceral pain, IDET studies, Intradiscal RF studies, peripheral nerve(occipital) studies, and Dr. Stanton Hicks is doing work with peripheral nerve stims(sciatic nerve, femoral, ulnar, radial), and we participate in all of these.
They are hiring a psychologist full time for the clinic so maybe we can have more of the 'touchy-feely' stuff that this program lacks. I think it is a great addition because we don't have exposure to psych.
I'm from NYC and Cleveland is probably as boring as advertised. So if you want to party for a year I would recommend going to Chicago or New York.

Kwijibo said:
The Cleveland Clinic is the best interventional pain program in the midwest, and is likely the most interventional program in the country. It is a busy program however, so if you want to loaf around, eat donuts and drink coffee this is not the program for you. You have to take 2 overnight calls a month, which includes covering 10 or so chronic patients and approximately 40 epidurals/peripheral nerve catheters.
We currently have 6 fellows and could really use 3 or 4 more. There are frequently procedures that go without fellows/residents because we don't have enough people to cover them. There are 10+staff so you get to learn different techniques and see more complications. There are world reknown staff such as M. Stanton-Hicks, N. Mekhail, S. Hayek, and L. Kapural who you work with every day.
Our experience includes virtually all modalities, with a heavy interest on neuromodulation and intradiscal therapies. the CC is a center for many current investigations such as neuromodulation for abdominal and visceral pain, IDET studies, Intradiscal RF studies, peripheral nerve(occipital) studies, and Dr. Stanton Hicks is doing work with peripheral nerve stims(sciatic nerve, femoral, ulnar, radial), and we participate in all of these.
They are hiring a psychologist full time for the clinic so maybe we can have more of the 'touchy-feely' stuff that this program lacks. I think it is a great addition because we don't have exposure to psych.
I'm from NYC and Cleveland is probably as boring as advertised. So if you want to party for a year I would recommend going to Chicago or New York.
Are you happy with your experience at CC? What other programs did you find that are also very strong in Interventional Pain as you were looking? Thanks for your insight