fluoroscope billing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stonemountain

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be doing spinal procedures in two facilities: one where a radiologist will read the saved fluoroscope images, and one without a radiologist reading the saved images.

Can I bill 76005-26 for procedures done at both facilities, only the one where there is no radiologist reading the images, or neither facilities?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you can. You are assuming the interpretations of films.

76005 is just the fluoro fee and does not include the interpretation.

There is another code for epiduragram reading.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we should code 76005 for all fluoro guided procedures and the interpretation fee only if we are providing a separate or attached report. I have heard that charging for the fluoro is a regular part of the procedure but charging for the interpretation of the epiduragram may trigger an audit if done regularly. Someone with more experience should comment on this- this is just what I've heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be coding 72275 for epidurogram and interpretation.

You should be coding 76005 for the fluoroscopic needle guidance.

You can bill both on the same patient. If you are billing the 72275, make sure you have a seperate dictation outlining your epidurogram and the interpretation.

Use your clinical judgement for the epidurogram.

Jared

Our Medicare carrier policy is as follows:

The CPT code 77275 (Epidurography, radiological supervision and interpretation) differs from CPT code 76005 in that it represents a formal recorded and reported contrast study that includes fluoroscopy. Epidurography should only be reported when it is reasonable and medically necessary to perform a diagnostic study. It should not be billed for the usual work of fluoroscopy and dye injection that is integral to the epidural or intrathecal injection.

I beleive the code for Epidurography is 72275.

JL

76005 is for both the professional and technical components of fluoro.

If you are using the facility's c-arm then use 76005-26, which is the professional component.

If you are providing the c-arm (office procedure) use the full 76005, which includes both the professional and technical components.

Hello everyone my name is Elizabeth and I am new to this awesome site. I am a billing manager for a billing company in Arizona and we are new to pain management and still learning from it.

I have a question on the epidurogram, we have a doctor who wants to start doing this and wants us to bill it out. Since this is new to us how do we bill it out? how does this work? What codes can be billed with it and how should it be billed out?

Any information is helpful.
Thanks!

Elizabeth

You should use 77003-26 for the professional component only. Additionally, if I am correct, 76005 has been phased out and should no longer be used.

77003 is a new code effective in 2007.

Be careful with the CCI Edits on this code.

I would like to share a very useful website for Pain Management billing and coding.

deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
darn it --- i would have been interested in that website - please PM me - thanks

can't access that link