Engineering vs. Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

I am an electrical engineer with MS degree in wireless communications. Now, I would like to pursue medical program.

Can anyone let me know what are the job prospects for a person having two degrees MSEE and MD.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm finally in med school after 4 years of BME. I have to say I'm liking it overall. Sure there are a lot of challenges, but BME had them too. In Med school, things are usually difficult because you're given a laundry list of things to memorize and you may forget 1 small detail of that list. In BME, all the laundry lists are pretty much given to you, it's only difficult to USE that laundry list. Both programs have their challenges in that sense. Though after you memorize all those laundry lists, you do actually get to USE and apply the information in the real world. It's just too bad, it happens late in the game and in order to get there, you have to beat the first few levels of the game.

In all, I'm still an engineer at heart and will keep that same "black-box" approach to problem solving. I like math, building stuff, modifying it, breaking it, and just overall curiosity. Engineering was pretty much a no brainer for me to choose as a major. The problem is that all the cool things I liked in engineering, one needs a PhD to pursue. I could have gone that route and spent 7 years getting that PhD just to do research for a company that will most likely take another 10 years of experience to actually get a decent job. Though, I thought why not pursue the path of Medicine, which also takes around 7 years including residency in which I get a good job right off the bat and I still have the opportunity to do research. Engineers are lazy, that's why we invent stuff to make people's lives easier. Most engineers, if they pursued medicine, in my opinion, would make great doctors, but because of the laziness to memorize those "laundry lists", most don't. I can't say I was non-lazy either, I actually didn't decide I liked Medicine until I got into med school and started learning it, but I didn't hate Medicine before med school either, so I thought why not give it a shot and at the same time, help some patients along the way?

The only other sucky part about med school is not being able to have those conversations with other "engineers" about almost anything. You will get laughed at or scorned upon if you even show a slight interest in how something works in med school, so you gotta keep yourself incognito and just blend in, which sucks, but then when it's all over, you can have those conversations again.

Anyways, that's my story without all the rosy, mushy, flower stuff that people put in their entrance essay.

Doctors basically are masters at following intense, precise algorithms. I think robots, brought about by advances in cybernetics, should do this ultimately and human doctors should use their creative talents. If the fields do merge 100 years from now or maybe longer than that, doctors would emerge as premier biomedical engineers and vice versa.

Totally agree, I said something like this already in this thread very early on, but I think some doctors got offended. What I was trying to say was that I think doctors have a lot of creative talent and that the non-creative part can go to robots in the future.

Last edited:
^

That is exactly how I've always felt about engineering and medicine. I love engineering, I too was a BME and then later switched to EE (to focus my concentration, BE at my school was a bit too broad) because I love the critical thinking aspect of it. Technology has always fascinated me and I'd love to always learn more about how things work the way they do. It's been my nature for as long as I can remember. This is something I never want to lose, and I feel like medicine almost discourages this style of thinking.

That being said, I've always wanted to be involved in healthcare, whether it was in engineering or medicine. I just finished my undergrad degree and have been interning at a medical device company for the last 6 months. I lost focus on the strenuous process to apply to med school (most of which is complete BS in my opinion, premeds are totally forced to have the wrong mentality of "getting in" rather than actually learning anything of value)...and I never really got my clinical experience due to lack of time doing other things, engineering related and not. Now I'm studying for the mcat after applying to engineering masters programs, so I'm still obviously not decided.

I want to do medicine. I want to gain some clinical experience, but it bothers me that this means I'll still be a few years away when most of my colleagues are doing it now.

I don't have formal experience except for some hospital volunteering, taking a first responder health care course, and spending a great deal of time around physicians (nothing formal). None of this would count on a resume as it was all too long ago or not in a formal setting. I'm willing to gain experience...but it makes me wonder if it makes any sense to spend another few years of my life pursuing something that I don't even have a great chance at (statistically, I'm not your ideal med school candidate even though I think I'm 100% capable of doing it). I could just keep doing engineering and probably get stuck in cubicles forever sitting at a computer and being too far removed from where my products are going. I like engineering design, I just dont see it as a career.

I love dealing with people, I love education, and I'm amazed every day at where health care can go. I've met enough physicians to know which ones are doing it for the patients and love of the field and which ones got into it because they were forced to for status and money. Neither of those are motivations for me. I want to pursue something that is mentally challenging, pushes me to be the best possible person I can be, and is ultimately something meaningful with a positive contribution to the world. Ultimately, I think medicine will most likely be this for me.

I know I have a very long way to go, and wanted to see what you guys think. I know its hard to judge me based on one forum post at 2 in the morning, but some of the stories in here made me think that this is somewhat possible. Some of you had been working as an engineer for years before you did this. I've alreayd taken most of hte premed requirements at a university and will have taken the mcat in a few months. I think with some experience, I can at least apply. I'm just not confident it will even be enough...and that makes me wonder if its worth it.

Sorry for the long post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Confidence is the key driving factor. You shouldn't worry about how ahead your friends are, but what your own goals are. Just do it. You'll be much happier looking back that you did.

I am in igcse student I am in grade 10 and I am 17 years old . I have a problem about deciding which college to go to I can’t choose between two colleges MEDICINE OR ENGINEERING
MEDICINE
As I start I love biology I am fascinated by the human body. Even when any one of my family gets sick and runs a few tests I look at them and try to figure out what’s wrong and I there is something I don’t understand I Google it .
But what I am really concerned about is after those eight years of studying when will I will be able to do this job and with a rewarding payment as if want to get a descent payment and have I clinic I will at least be 32 years old.
ENGINEERING
I love physics and Math but PHYSICS MUCH MORE I am interested in communication
I have been told and have seen that I start my job right after college with great payment and that’s is what I love is that I will work more quickly I have seen what they study in communication and found it quite interesting

Hi Everyone,
I'm an engineer who want to become a dentist. I have MSEE and 14 years of experience in electrical engineering. I'm 40 years old. I never liked my field. I always have strong interest in healthcare. I think it is never too late to achieve your goal. But I need your opinion so that I can make a right decision for me.
I can afford to pay the tuition for DDS /DMD program. I'm also willing to spend 4 years to study DDS. But I need to spend 2 extra years to take prerequisite courses (chemistry, physics, biology, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, English composition) at undergraduate level. I'm also ready for that and am willing to quit my job.
My concern is ... what if I don't get admission into school of Dentistry after quiting my job and studying undergrad courses for 2 years.
Any advice or suggestion will be appreciated specially from someone who has done similar thing or someone who knows someone who has done this.
Thanks,
EngToDentist

I received my BS in Industrial Engineering in May of 2012. So it's been about 10 months. I have about a year's worth of engineering experience, which I hated. I was just at a point in my life that I needed to complete my degree. Shortly before I graduated I became engaged. My fiance is nearing the end of her first year in medical school and I have lived with her and helped support her this last year. While enjoying that I can support her emotionally and help out around the house by cleaning and cooking, I have not been able to find steady work where we live. We have basically been living off of loans and love for almost a year, which has worked just fine (we are both ok with frugal lifestyles as it doesn't take much to make us happy), but my lack of contribution is severely hurting my confidence in myself.

As someone who has been surrounded by the medical field my entire life (dad is a CRNA and mom is a psych NP), it's sort of surprising that I was never pushed into medicine. My parents wanted me to do what I was interested in. Period. Unfortunately, I was too concerned with instant gratification to give school any real thought. I made great grades all through college and everything, but that's over now and boy am I regretting not giving more things a chance. Never took any biology classes and my hard science courses were taught by professors that I just didn't see eye to eye with. The course work was really interesting, especially physics, but the teachers were so bad at conveying the material, the classes became an exercise in "What do I need to do in order to get all of this crap done and get my A and get out of here?".

Anyways, I am currently looking into becoming a scribe to get some more experience in the medical field, and moving back to where my fiance and I went to college (it's where we both would like to establish careers). My past experience is virtually zero, with only having shadowed my dad in the OR to watch various surgeries. I really enjoyed my time there, and it really showed how much my dad loves to do what he does every day.

Is it crazy to think that I would even consider medicine? Does anyone have experience as a scribe and did it help you to shore up any decisions about med school or a medical profession in general? It's a pretty scary/exciting time in our lives and I want to try to make the best decisions I can going forward, both for myself and for my future family.

This thread is pretty old, so I'm not sure anyone will even read this, and that's okay. Just getting it out of my head helps I think. If someone happens to read it and feels like they want to respond, I appreciate it.

Good luck to all those who are in a similar situation and those of you in med school/residencies!

Pernicious

Wow this thread is really old.

Pernicious, I applaud you for thinking about medicine. I got a BS in BME, MS in computer engineering, worked for 4 years, and then went to dental school. I'm now 2 years in and 32 yoa. Looking back I wouldn't change a thing. I think my experience helped me succeed in dental school because I finally figured out what I want to do. If I went immediately after undergrad I wouldn't be nearly as successful. However, it is much more demanding than engineering school. Don't listen to other ppl that says engineering is harder. We take around 30 credits per semester! There is a TON of information to memorize and regurgitate at tests. It really makes you study 24/7. I'm in Miami now and I haven't been to the beach once this semester. That's how busy I am. If you want to do it, I would really think about how much work its going to be. But maybe you're younger and can handle all the memorization better.

I considered medical but I went denal instead. Have you thought about dental? I see several advantages that may attract an engineering student.
1. You work with you hands. I REALLY love that. I love working on my car, solder electrical projects, fix things, etc... So dental is a natural fit.
2. No residency! I'm too old to work my ass off 80+ hours a week for 2+ years. You can start working and get 120K / year right after dental school.
3. Amazing work life. You can work 7 days a week or 1 day a week. You are your own boss.

You really have to reach deep down inside yourself and figure out what you want to do with your life. Just be true to yourself and you wont make mistakes. This is very important because this gives you motivation to perform well in dental/medical school. I see too many students that are not happy where they are and flunk out. First off, ask yourself why are you not happy where you are right now? How did you end up where you are? Did anyone or anything gravitate you towards engineering? Did you think about your future before you entered? How long will it take for you to enter and finish? etc.... Only you can answer these questions. Keep exploring yourself and the medical field. Shadow, ask questions, be true to yourself and you will know whether the medical field is right for you. Good luck!

I received my BS in Industrial Engineering in May of 2012. So it's been about 10 months. I have about a year's worth of engineering experience, which I hated. I was just at a point in my life that I needed to complete my degree. Shortly before I graduated I became engaged. My fiance is nearing the end of her first year in medical
Pernicious

Hi darkwalk,

I'm pretty surprised that someone actually read and responded to my post so quickly. Thanks for your time and effort. Yes there's a lot for me to think about and work out before any major decisions are made. Thankfully, they don't have to made all at once, and as tempting as it is to try and figure out your whole life in one sitting, inevitably, only time will tell. I have an interview tomorrow for a scribe position. Hopefully I'll get hired on. That should really go a long way to helping me understand whether or not medicine is something I truly enjoy and can see myself pursuing. That seems to be the first logical step in this whole process anyways. If you're interested, I'd be glad to update this post as to my situation as new things develop.

Again, thanks for the response.

Pernicious

I cant believe i have landed upon this thread again after almost 5 years.

Last time i was here when i trying to find job after my MSEE. I think it was the 3rd or 4th comment and then again another one.

Anyways, i did get a job soon after and i have been doing the same job since.

As it turned out , maths/electronics was what i was made for. I am still going strong in that area and learning everyday. I work with Radars now and want to make my own independent software sometime in the distant future.

Here's wishing everyone on this forum has realized his/her wishes and found the happiness they were looking for.

Thanks. Good Luck. :)

I cant believe i have landed upon this thread again after almost 5 years.

Last time i was here when i trying to find job after my MSEE. I think it was the 3rd or 4th comment and then again another one.

Anyways, i did get a job soon after and i have been doing the same job since.

As it turned out , maths/electronics was what i was made for. I am still going strong in that area and learning everyday. I work with Radars now and want to make my own independent software sometime in the distant future.

Here's wishing everyone on this forum has realized his/her wishes and found the happiness they were looking for.

Thanks. Good Luck. :)

Thanks for coming back to update! We often don't get to see the other side, where someone decides medicine isn't for them. Good stuff.

As for me, I am switching for the following reasons

1. Didn't know what I wanted to do
  2. Chose Engineering because it "payed good"
  3. Graduated and made lots of money
  4. Hated every second of it
  5. Searched and searched until I found medicine
  6. Realized that is what I really want, and what I actually gravitate towards.

Hi to everyone, seems amazing that this has lasted so much

Im a civil engineer doing urban design as well as project management, i sure have never hated what i do, its a good job but as many of you, i feel like i need to do the change to medicine, have a feel of you only live once

originally before starting university i was enrolled in medicine and passed the tests but i decided to go for engineering, i felt like because i liked numbers i was made for that and actually im good but just feel like something is missing, i have the feeling of what could have happened if instead i had chosen medicine, i feel like i could have been a good doctor, im looking forward to do the change, the thing is that im a little worried about residency, is people still accepted even when they are not really young???

I will be like 32 or 33 when i apply.......i suppose people in the field is very professional and other things matter more than age ( obviously being 50 will be different) and take people serious as long as they are good, this because if i do it ill do it the right way, not failing

I have just turned 26 right now, ive had some work experience overseas and altough it was nice i just didnt feel complete

thanks for your responses

Hi,

I am new comer to this board. I read the thread about the salary many non-trads gave up for their career medicine and found so many engineers are making the switch to the medicine. I am myself are a engineer and am really interest what movitiates people to switch out of engineering. So, I want to start this thread.

So, here is my story.

I am a UCSD grad in electrical engineering. Working as IC design engineer in the silicon valley for a leading flash memory company while attending stanford for my M.S. in EE. I consider work to be fun, i mean, it is quite amazing to sqeeze 10 billion transistors into a tiny piece of silicon.

I choose engineering back in undergrad was for the money. I came from a poor family and I want to help my family ASAP after graduation. Indeed, it pays off very well. But, now I am feeling miserable at work. Money is no longer a issue and I want to pursue something I trully enjoy.

I want to make the switch because I am tired and bored of my life inside the cubicles. I like interactions with human being instead of with my unix terminal. IThe reason for chosing medicine is because medicine is the only field which I can make a tremedous improvement for people's life. Also, there is also the dream since child hood.

Welcome.

If medicine's been your dream since childhood, then you've probably decided on that route. However, I wanted to bring up the career of patent attorney since it sort of fits the description in bold. It's a less widely know splinter of law, but a good one. The field is seems to be stable and not very competitive because it requires both 3 years of law school, and an engineering degree. Patent attorneys often specialize in multiple fields during law school, mixing patents with whatever else interests them (examples, patents and litigation, or patents, copyright, and litigation, finance and patents, something that inspires you and patents, some sort of human rights or patient rights law and patents). Some work in BigLaw, make LOTs of money, have famous clients, and do pro-bono work. In law, you can improve other people's lives who, in many cases, would have received NO help whatsoever. You can volunteer for places like this: http://www.gbls.org/ or http://www.larcma.org/our_clients or volunteer for advocacy groups to fix laws that don't work well, and/or take on cases/clients of your choosing. (Large teams of volunteer attorneys sometimes help out with high profile cases that are in the news, like human rights. You may or may not find it exciting to be behind the scenes and knowing what will happen next...) Anyhow...

Good luck in medicine, or whatever you choose.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, this is a cool and pertinent thread and I just wanted to weigh in as well.

I graduated in 2008 with a BS in mechanical engineering, and spent a few years working on robotics in the semiconductor industry. I studied engineering because I wanted a field that had a strong foundation in math and science, but wasn't interested in being a pure mathematician or scientist. Also, at the time, I was definitely your stereotypical "stare at your shoes" engineer. Ironically, several years of study and work as an actual engineer brought me out of my shell, and made me lose interest in what being a career engineer had to offer, while simultaneously gaining interest in the field of medicine and patient care.

I'm actually nearing the end of a 2-year postbacc now, I've taken my MCAT, I've been shadowing/volunteering both in hospital/clinical and non-clinical settings, and I'm applying this summer. I've definitely gone through periods of doubt, but I think that just reinforces the fact that getting clinical experience isn't just for show, it really does help you understand if a medical (or dental or what have you) career is right for you.

I also want to say that I definitely don't regret the path I've chosen. I still think engineering is a great field that provides a type of experience in how you learn, think, and perceive, that is applicable to a wide range of other fields. Like others in this thread have said, I will always be an engineer at heart, and I honestly believe that this will help enrich any field of study, including medicine.

Hi,
I've just discovered this website.
I studied Electrical and Electronics Engineering in Middle East Technical University. After graduation (B.S.), I started to work in Lİbya. Because of the war, I switched the job and moved in Istanbul which is my hometown by the way. Then I realized that engineering cannot satisfy my desires. I could not find necessary motive to continue my career.
Finally, I decided that Medicine should be the right choice for me. Excitement of job and satisfaction of helping somebody are main reasons to choose medicine.

So, I quit my job and completed my military obligation which took one year.
Then I started to Istanbul Medicine School in Istanbul at the beginning of this year.

This is my story.

I wish the best for you.

Last edited:
I completed an intern year so I could get a license, and then went to work as a research scientist for a medical device manufacturer. There were two other physicians working in my group, one an engineer-MD, the other a PhD/MD (PhD in mechanical engineering through the MSTP program). Neither of them even bothered with an intern year. Both are contributing to advancing medical treatment in pain patients. Their efforts affect many more patients than any single clinician will ever benefit. After just a little while working as a research scientist, I missed the clinical interactions, and also felt the best path for me to one day start my own medical device company, was to finish a residency and get board certified. Which, is what I'm now doing.

Hospitals, and Physicians rely on unbelievably sophisticated technology for absolutely ever aspect of our work. Right down to writing orders for our patients, we use technology. Even stethoscopes are designed with CAD and simulation for better acoustics. Your experience, and your way of thinking about problems, will be a huge asset to medicine; even if you choose to never touch a patient after completing medical school. Medical school is a great path for anyone interested in contributing to the future of medicine clinically, or technically.

Good luck with getting out of the cubical ☺

Awesome. And yes, I think many of us engineers are tired of our cubes...seems to be a trend

Last edited:
Fascinating thread, I've been thinking about similar things

Though the original post is from 7 years ago

I've been thinking about how to land a smart and pretty wife. It seems that smart girls might be drawn into medicine (among other things, such as low-level finance, living on the coasts and moving to Big Cities. Not that I necessarily condone these)

Having once been accepted into both UIUC and Johns Hopkins, engineering and medicine both available to me, I am tempted to pursue these paths before I get old.

Those engineering girls draw from a hot Midwestern population, notwithstanding it being a traditionally masculine field.

Can't believe this thread is still running. Just an update, I'm in my 4th year of med school now, done with all the exams needed to graduate. Looking back, it has been a very difficult journey and more challenges lie ahead. Engineers, I think it is worth it, but you really got to stick with it. I won't lie to you that there were several times I wanted to quit during medical school. I was tired of the brainless memorization, however, I've seen real doctors and I am impressed. There are lots of boring parts in medicine. Friends are needed in medical school to survive mentally.

Ideally, I encourage all engineers to pursue a MD/PhD. That is the most compatible with the way we think. It is the only way people will understand our passion for research combined with clinical science. Though it's pretty hard to get in. If not, then no big deal, one can still do research with just an MD.

Also, lots of engineering in surgery. That's probably the most I've seen. There are tons of new technology popping up and new job opportunities. I urge people to find surgical device companies like ethicon, intuitive surgical, striker, etc.

Glad to see more engineers coming into medicine. We need more doctors with engineering background.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently pursing an degree in mechanical engineering... recently a dean told me that I need to decide what I want to do with my life.....