Toxicology elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trkd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where did you do it and how was it (i.e. teaching, hours, faculty)? Was it worthwhile?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

UAB. Hours were great. I was able to put in ED shifts as well and get 2 SLORs. Teaching was pretty much 1 on 1. Lots of snake bites, spider bites, and ODs. I think it is worthwhile.

trkd said:
Where did you do it and how was it (i.e. teaching, hours, faculty)? Was it worthwhile?

Thanks!

UIC! Dr. Erickson is both the PD of their program (read well known in EM so a great SLOR) and a fantastic lecturer who is an active part of the toxicology group. You work with Toxicon which is a collaboration of most of the Chicago hospitals. I did the rotation as a medical student and would love to do fellowship there. The hours were reasonable, the teaching awesome, and the faculty top flight.

Yes, it was worth it!

- H

Members don't see this ad :)
We do our tox month (required) at NYU/NYC Poison Control Center. I highly recommend it. Lots of people there. Hours are good -- show up around 9 am, do callbacks (4-5), get 1:1 teaching with the fellow when you present the cases, and then a lecture in the afternoon. Usually done by 3 pm. Plenty of time to explore the city.

The downside is if it's an away elective for you, housing can be very, very expensive.

I did a 4th year elective at UC San Diego and it was very chill... u do some call-backs, but mostly weekly journal club, 1:1-2 didactics, and tox consults with the fellow on-call at 3-4 hospitals... one of the faculty Sara-Lyn Williams recently switched jobs to Vandy--she is such an enthusiastic and super teacher that I would consider doing a tox elective at Vandy if there is such a thing...

UAB. Hours were great. I was able to put in ED shifts as well and get 2 SLORs. Teaching was pretty much 1 on 1. Lots of snake bites, spider bites, and ODs. I think it is worthwhile.

I had to bump my own thread. I ended up doing tox at UAB simply because I couldn't decide where to go and when in doubt, I prefer the south. First off, I must say that Dr. Ziad Kazzi (the guy who wrote the AAEM tox guide that you get with the membership AND head of tox at UAB) rocks! He is passionate about tox and loves to teach. He gives a one hour lecture M-F. Nothing after 5pm or weekends unless you want to (you will get a call if it is something completely rare if you want to go in but totally optional). You can also do the half EM option which is 8 shifts throughout the month instead of tox days. This is good so that you can get a letter from Dr. Kazzi and someone else. All that said, there is probably not the patient volume that you would get in some other places but you still see plenty. It worked well for me because I needed to work on some application things, etc. You could probably also hook up with Kazzi for some tox research if you want to publish something. He is absolutely a wonderful teacher. I cannot say enough about him. He is also the social force behind the program. He sets up various get-togethers throughout the month. He simply rocks!

In summary, it is a cush month with a great teacher. You will learn a lot, hang out with the residents, and have plenty of time to enjoy Birmingham or whatever. I am very happy with my choice.

Good. Hopefully it wasn't as hot in B'ham as it was when I was there in August.
I miss toxic mondays. I miss the bars. I don't miss the heat though.

Quit being a cry baby about the heat, ibnsina :laugh: It's not that bad and we never have to worry about cold weather in winter.

Weather was just perfect but the term "too hot" in reference to weather is not in my vocab. You are talking to a chic that used to go for 1 hr runs at noon in August when life had me in Gainesville, Florida once upon a time. The only time I got close to using this forbidden phrase was in Bankok one summer. That was serious heat but the smog doubled it up for what I call the Thailand Toxic Two-fer.:smuggrin:

Quit being a cry baby about the heat, ibnsina :laugh: It's not that bad and we never have to worry about cold weather in winter.

It's been below freezing here in Cincinnati for the last few nights.
It would have been nice if I could have gone home for a little longer, because the clothes that worked in Alabama and Florida don't work a month later in Ohio.

It's been below freezing here in Cincinnati for the last few nights.
It would have been nice if I could have gone home for a little longer, because the clothes that worked in Alabama and Florida don't work a month later in Ohio.

Just put more of them on at a time.:D

And having been in B'ham at the same time. It was one heck of a weight loss program hoofing it several blocks. All I have to say is thank goodness for RightGuard.:laugh:

Thanks!

UVA tox is a great rotation. Both attendings are amazing teachers. I learned much more than I expected given how little time we actually need to be in the hospital. Pretty much 9-noon and you take call from home or wherever 10 days/month. This just shows that if the attendings/fellows are good teachers, you can learn more in less amount of time. The rotation will take visiting students and visiting residents as well. Also, I would recommend doing it in late summer/early fall. We went on hikes to see the poisonous plants and shrooms.