Personal Statement & Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

az_drugdlr

PharmD Candidate 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knows if many of the pharmacy schools tend to ask "customized" questions in the interview based on what you write in your personal statement. For example, if I said that I've traveled quite a bit, do you think they would ask me something like "You say you've done some traveling. How do you feel that contributes to your role as a pharmacy student and a pharmacist?" Things like that... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if many of the pharmacy schools tend to ask "customized" questions in the interview based on what you write in your personal statement. For example, if I said that I've traveled quite a bit, do you think they would ask me something like "You say you've done some traveling. How do you feel that contributes to your role as a pharmacy student and a pharmacist?" Things like that... Thanks!

Yes....they do & particularly if you say you know a foreign language. I've known circumstances where the interviewer will be able to speak the language you claim to know fluently & start the interview in that language. So......don't lie! If you have some experience..you can say that, but don't say you aren't fluent if you're not.

As to your specific circumstance with traveling.....yes..think about it beforehand. What was your experience when having to purchase medications in other countries? Were you able to buy acetaminophen or was it paracetamol? Many prescription medications here are over the counter in other countries....What do you think about that? How hard was it to communicate your symptoms to someone in another country in which you didn't speak the language when you needed to try to get something - a cold preparation or something for a sore throat......how can you relate to being on the other side of that coin here as a pharmacist? Communication can take many forms....spoken, gesturing, etc....However - at what point does an interpreter become vital?

So...you can think about the potential questions ahead of time and actually have possible "openers" when & if you're asked about how you might want to make an impact on pharmacy within your community....particularly if you are in an area with immigrants or foreign travelers.

Good luck & good for you for thinking ahead!