Acceptance Rate W/Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolsoon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to start a thread too see if someone(s) could post the approximate rates of acceptance for those with an interview. Thanks and I'm sure this will help all of us who are sweating bullets. God I can't wait till this whole damn thing is over.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I wanted everyone to post by school if they can.

Well, I have that information in the USN&WR "Ultimate Guide to Medical Schools", but that has 2003 application cycle statistics, so it's a little dated.

i know its 0% without an interview..........................You have to get the current US news for the updated info

Check medschoolready.com 's section on schools. It has that info.

Okay - here is a sampling from US News:
Since I can't figure out how to paste my excel file....Numbers go like this:
(Applications In State/OOS; Interviewed In State/OOS; Accepted In State/OOS; Enrolled In State/OOS)

School
PCOM - 553/3272; 309/259; 237/177; 161/105
UNECOM - 52/2396; 37/269; 33/188; 28/93
CCOM - 239/1406; 154/365; 115/267; 71/103
NJCOM - 373/2028; 115/170; 78/112; 100/0
NYCOM - 660/2637; 367/353; 286/254; 198/112
DMU COM - 160/2227; 111/468; 93/353; 59/156
LECOM - PA - 469/3782; 297/888; 174/345; 123/266

Don't shoot the messenger. I just took them off of the US News website!

(Applications In State/OOS; Interviewed In State/OOS; Accepted In State/OOS; Enrolled In State/OOS)

School

shoot the messenger? thats good news! i THINK i did the calc's right, and if so heres the breakdown by school (% accepted after interview)

PCOM: ~73% *PCOM interviews about 15% of its applicants
UNECOM: ~72% *UNECOM interviews about 13% of its applicants
CCOM: ~74% *CCOM interviews about 32% of its applicants
NJCOM: ~67% *NJCOM interviews about 12% of its applicants
NYCOM: ~75% *NYCOM interviews about 22% of its applicants
DMUCOM: ~77% *DMUCOM interviews about 24% of its applicants
LECOM: ~44% *LECOM interviews about 28% of its applicants

LECOM interviews and then you still have less than a 50/50 chance of getting in.

NJCOM interviews the least amount by percentage of its applicants.

shoot the messenger? thats good news! i THINK i did the calc's right, and if so heres the breakdown by school (% accepted after interview)

LECOM interviews and then you still have less than a 50/50 chance of getting in.

Wow! Thanks for the info! That's good stuff...:D

Thanks SOOOOO much, this helps a lot:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what year these % are from?? Sounds like in state chances are pretty good :)

Does anyone know what year these % are from?? Sounds like in state chances are pretty good :)

Well in case you didn't read it the first few times I wrote it, I got the numbers from this years US News......(!) :cool: Okay that means these are Fall 2005 numbers.

i know its 0% without an interview..........................You have to get the current US news for the updated info

Didn't/doesn't the school in West Virginia have a policy of automatic acceptance without an interview if you meet certain GPA and MCAT requirements?

Didn't/doesn't the school in West Virginia have a policy of automatic acceptance without an interview if you meet certain GPA and MCAT requirements?

Or something like that.

do they or not?

do they or not?

Yes, they do. If > 3.5 GPA and > 28 MCAT, and if there are still seats available, you could receive an automatic acceptance to WVSOM.

Wait - never mind...

I think MSUCOM has started the same policy, but I'm not sure what the requirements are.

From my Western U interview, approximately 25% are interviewed out of the applicant pool and 67% are accepted ultimately. ~50% of the incoming class is from California. Hope this helps.

just thought i'd add this......numbers came from the OSU-COM website.

Acceptance Profile
Total Students Accepted: 88 (100%)
Oklahoma: 76 (86%)
Non-Resident: 12 (14%)

Interview Profile
Total Interviews Granted: 199
Oklahoma: 151
Non-Resident: 48

That leaves ~50% in-state and 25% OOS

Is it true that 0 out of state aplicants went to UMDNJ-SOM. Is this a typo?

Yes I think that is a typo along with 100 out of 78 in staters went? I guess you could factor in the wait list.

No, all you need to be considered in-state for UMDNJ is a lease in your name a and a NJ driver's license. EVERYBODY becomes a NJ resident for this reason. However, there are no other states that make it this easy.

No, all you need to be considered in-state for UMDNJ is a lease in your name a and a NJ driver's license. EVERYBODY becomes a NJ resident for this reason. However, there are no other states that make it this easy.

Ahhh, I see, sweet. It sounds easy to become instate. I am looking forward to the interview there next month.

Ahhh, I see, sweet. It sounds easy to become instate. I am looking forward to the interview there next month.

ya, but then you gotta tell people you are from New Jersey :thumbdown: :smuggrin:

I didn't realize DO schools interview so few applicants. kinda scary...

School

can you provide the stats for these schools?

Touro-CA
COMP
NSU-SOM

Same here..I always had thought DO schools gave alot more interviews..Kinda surprised..
Cheers
howie

Same here..I always had thought OD schools gave alot more interviews..Kinda surprised..
Cheers
howie

Please don't ever call them OD schools. That is an optometry degree.:laugh:
I'm just kidding but seriously if you ever interview and call them OD schools or mention that you shadowed an OD I don't think it will get you far with the DO's......;)

Those percentages are high in comparison to some MD schools. Some schools interview a few thousand applicants out of a pool of tens of thousands...now that is scary!

The premed myth that DO schools are "easier" to get in to makes a lot of people think that. The general theory is something like, "less applicants therefore less competition" or something, I dunno.

The premed myth that DO schools are "easier" to get in to makes a lot of people think that. The general theory is something like, "less applicants therefore less competition" or something, I dunno.
that's not what i meant. its just that w/a smaller applicant pool, you'd naturally expect a higher % would be interviewed, esp since DO schools emphasize the whole person, not just #s. that's all i was saying.

that's not what i meant. its just that w/a smaller applicant pool, you'd naturally expect a higher % would be interviewed, esp since DO schools emphasize the whole person, not just #s. that's all i was saying.

Sorry I wasn't meaning that was YOU - I was just saying it seems to be the general premed belief.

Can someone confirm the acceptances # are all accepted and not just matriculated?

Yah. The numbers are from USNews exactly as quoted.
# of those accepted in state, then there is a # of matriculated in state, etc....

Please don't ever call them OD schools. That is an optometry degree.:laugh:
I'm just kidding but seriously if you ever interview and call them OD schools or mention that you shadowed an OD I don't think it will get you far with the DO's......;)

This is what I get for trying to multitask! I really thought I could pull off studying while watching tv and posting on SDN..Alas I failed well except for the exam in which I got a 96 on :)
Cheers
howie

*bump* Could someone update this list with other schools? Thanks!

*bump* Could someone update this list with other schools? Thanks!

Someone BESIDES me who paid the $15 for a USNews subscription could do it.... Or someone could actually go to the library and look them up from the USNews there..... ;)

Someone BESIDES me who paid the $15 for a USNews subscription could do it.... Or someone could actually go to the library and look them up from the USNews there..... ;)

i actually looked at it at border's the other day. is it possible that the online version has more info? because i couldn't find it.

i actually looked at it at border's the other day. is it possible that the online version has more info? because i couldn't find it.

Maybe it does, which would be weird, since the price is the same?? :confused:

Does anyone have the rate of acceptance numbers for TCOM?

Do you have a better chance of acceptance if you are in the very first group of interviewees?

Do you have a better chance of acceptance if you are in the very first group of interviewees?
There are two schools of thought on that matter.

1) Yes. The maximum amount of seats in the class are available at that time, so you have the "best" odds on getting one of those seats. This also depends on when the adcoms meet. If it's every other week, you may be pooled in with the 2nd or even 3rd/4th interview session.

2) No. Schools may not be as grab happy knowing that there are tons of other applicants out there, so they would be less likely to hand out acceptances but perhaps more waitlists/holds/deferrals.

Hope this helps. My best advice is to be yourself, no matter when your interview is. Most schools screen for interviewees, so each of them is qualified academically. It is at the interview that your personality, passion, and individuality must be presented and thus evaluated by the interviewers/adcoms.