Emergency kit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beyond all hope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going to a faraway place in a mostly-first-world country. I'm thinking about bringing sutures (3-0) and kit, Bactrim, and Imodium just for emergencies. Any other suggestions? (don't get crazy now)

Members don't see this ad.

Going to a faraway place in a mostly-first-world country. I'm thinking about bringing sutures (3-0) and kit, Bactrim, and Imodium just for emergencies. Any other suggestions? (don't get crazy now)

Going to bring some liocaine or just take a slug of mescal and grit your teeth?

If it's first world, why the sutures? Are you camping? Just bring some tegaderm, dermabond, or steri-strips. If the cut is big enough for sutures, you'll also need to clean it out with something. I would recommend insurance providers with medevac coverage.
Plus, depending on the country, you'll want immunizations, anti-malarials, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've sewn up my own leg without anesthesia before while hiking.......by the way.....I don't recommend it....cosmetically it turned out great, but that's a whole new level of "hurts like an SOB"

NOTE: I only did it because it was directly over my knee and it was kind of unnerving to see my patella as I walked.....I carry a full first aid kit (with a small bottle of Betadine) so I was able to clean it out quite well first.....

And Fleets.

"What?! No Mountain Dew enemas?"

(inside joke from a wilderness ALS class I took)

See the immunizations part, seriously. I've traveled around the world several times and on multiple occasions been seriously happy I paid the $200 for a vaccination against XXXX when a friend (who didn't) hits the hospital for Encephalitis for 3 wks.

No matter how "clean" your food is prepped, it will be contaminated.

See the immunizations part, seriously. I've traveled around the world several times and on multiple occasions been seriously happy I paid the $200 for a vaccination against XXXX when a friend (who didn't) hits the hospital for Encephalitis for 3 wks.

No matter how "clean" your food is prepped, it will be contaminated.
Nice.....before I go to Nepal for this training project, I'm getting vaccinated for everything.