Strong EM Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emergen-C

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are some ancient thread about this, but I thought it would be helpful to have a more recent list...since some programs are up and coming, etc. From what I've heard...

Maricopa
Harbor
Olive View
Denver
Christiana
BWH/MGH
New Mexico
Bellvue
Jacobi

Any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the residents I met in the Midwest tended to work out more... maybe they just make 'em bigger there...

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the residents I met in the Midwest tended to work out more... maybe they just make 'em bigger there...

It's the corn. Isn't that one of the things from Grey's Anatomy? Iowa State style?

That's what I was wondering about this thread. Are we measuring by average bench press or bicep diameter?

If so, I'd bet we're a pretty puny specialty compared with, say, ortho.

Take care,
Jeff

What about programs that train more for endurance? I mean, more reps, lesser weights... I prefer the toned look, myself. Beach time, you know.

I agree that we're pretty puny compared to ortho - aren't ortho residents the reason there's always a set of free weights in the resident lounge? Our ortho dudes (and dudettes, actually) are ripped.

What about programs that train more for endurance? I mean, more reps, lesser weights... I prefer the toned look, myself. Beach time, you know.

I agree that we're pretty puny compared to ortho - aren't ortho residents the reason there's always a set of free weights in the resident lounge? Our ortho dudes (and dudettes, actually) are ripped.

Just wait until they are ortho attendings, squeezing every last $10,000 knee-replacement case into their OR schedule. They won't have time to work out, which means they'll look like crap. Meanwhile the rest of us will be looking all buff! Beeefcaaaake!

not a single un-sarcastic remark. I love it!! :laugh:
EM has the best overall sense of humour ever.

That's what I was wondering about this thread. Are we measuring by average bench press or bicep diameter?

If so, I'd bet we're a pretty puny specialty compared with, say, ortho.

Take care,
Jeff

Speak for your own program!;) Our program is pretty stout between the residents and the younger attendings. And if we said strong, then we're going to measure by powerlifting standards, not just beach muscles...:laugh:

not a single un-sarcastic remark. I love it!! :laugh:
EM has the best overall sense of humour ever.

Until yours! Unless that was sarcastic... in which case: Screw you, Dunce!

Speak for your own program!;) Our program is pretty stout between the residents and the younger attendings. And if we said strong, then we're going to measure by powerlifting standards, not just beach muscles...:laugh:

One of our PGY-2s used to compete in iron-man competitions. He's wider than he is tall.

What about programs that swim laps? You know, swimming is the best exercise.

Oh, and pilates, how about a program that does that? It seems to me that we need an EM program that is non-threatening, low-impact, and encouraged to break wind when in the quivering lotus position.

You brutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and pilates, how about a program that does that? It seems to me that we need an EM program that is non-threatening, low-impact, and encouraged to break wind when in the quivering lotus position.

You brutes.

Well I don't know about that, but we used to refer to UNM as the ski and granola program.:D

Well I don't know about that, but we used to refer to UNM as the ski and granola program.:D

Did someone say "ski"?

**Adds UNM to list of programs to apply to**

I rotated there and remember thinking all of the residents looked like they belonged on the cover of Outdoor Life. :)

That place really is in a beautiful part of the country.

Take care,
Jeff

I know there are some ancient thread about this, but I thought it would be helpful to have a more recent list...since some programs are up and coming, etc. From what I've heard...

Maricopa
Harbor
Olive View
Denver
Christiana
BWH/MGH
New Mexico
Bellvue
Jacobi

Any thoughts??

I cant say I would agree with that whole list.. but U of Az should be on there.

I rotated there and remember thinking all of the residents looked like they belonged on the cover of Outdoor Life. :)

That place really is in a beautiful part of the country.

Take care,
Jeff

Same can be said for the people here.. Mountain biking, mountain climbing and hiking etc.. Lots of outdoorsy types.. Me not so much.. but we all get along great.

Same can be said for the people here.. Mountain biking, mountain climbing and hiking etc.. Lots of outdoorsy types.. Me not so much.. but we all get along great.

Where is "here" Ectopic?

What do you think are the major differences btwn U Arizona and Maricopa?

Did someone say "ski"?

**Adds UNM to list of programs to apply to**

If you are a big fan of skiing and granola you should UTAH to your list.
We have 4 ski areas that you can be at the base of in 30 min from our ED.
3 more ski areas within an hour.
Lukin

No idea the difference between Copa and Zona.. We are more "university" whereas I hear they are a little more county. Truthfully I dont know too much about them but I do know we have some pretty big time EM faculty.

Included are Harvey Meislin, Sam Keim (our PD), John Sakles (airway man), and others.

We also have Peter Rosen (like the guy who wrote the big book) who comes for 3 months a year.

Ectopic, I'm coming to interview so see you then!

Which program did Chuck Norris go through? It must be strong by definition.

Chuck Norris Didn't go through any residency, he roundhouse kicked all of them and they gave him the board certification.

Chuck Norris started his own residency program, and he is the only graduate. He sees 60k patients per year on his own. Then kicks their asses.

Chuck Norris started his own residency program, and he is the only graduate. He sees 60k patients per year on his own. Then kicks their asses.

Chuck Norris developed the elective for his residency program called 'Pain Management: the Art of roundhouse kicking pain medicine seekers'.

One time in a code during residency, Chuck Norris did a thoracotomy and spit into the left ventricle, magically restarting it to a normal sinus rhythm.

Chuck Norris doesn't prescribe antibiotics. He just kills the bacteria with his stare.

True Fact - Chuck Norris pioneered the emergency C-section. He plunged his open hand directly through the abdominal wall, tearing the baby from the womb, while at the same time, putting the patient back into sinus rhythm. The nurse asked him if he was sterile and he roundhouse kicked her in the head. Then he apologized and told everyone in the room not to do drugs before he left. This all happened in under one minute.

True Fact - Chuck Norris pioneered the emergency C-section. He plunged his open hand directly through the abdominal wall, tearing the baby from the womb, while at the same time, putting the patient back into sinus rhythm. The nurse asked him if he was sterile and he roundhouse kicked her in the head. Then he apologized and told everyone in the room not to do drugs before he left. This all happened in under one minute.

Impressive...:D

See, we know that stoy's BS because Chuck Norris never apologizes. If he kicks you in the head you better apologize for letting your face get in the way of his foot.

Could you possibly mention the word 'concise' to him?

Take care,
Jeff

Concise is not in his vocabulary. He is thorough though and I love the fact that the dude is not an apologist. Makes for some good laughs.

The nurse asked him if he was sterile and he roundhouse kicked her in the head.

When I first read this I thought you meant sterile as in infertile. I knew that couldn't be the Chuck Norris that I love and fear.

Chuck Norris is so intimidating that he uses the wrong exit from the ED and even the ED nurses don't dare yell at him.

Chuck Norris is so intimidating that he uses the wrong exit from the ED and even the ED nurses don't dare yell at him.

Chuck Norris makes the nurses get his suturing supplies for him.

Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked the L.A. County nurses, and made them actually take care of patients.

we really screwed up the OP's main intent of this thread.

It's Chuck. He can't be contained in one thread.

(besides how many "best" EM residency threads do we really need?)

If Chuck started a residency in Miami, it would be the "best" EM residency on Day 1.

Too bad he already started one in Vegas.

Chuck Norris got Peter Rosen to give an entire presentation without cussing.

Im still waiting for that. My (so far) limited experience with Rosen is that it would take an act of god for him to not curse.. Of course Chuck Norris..........:oops: