Entrepreneur to Doctor Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mikeish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I have been scouring this forum for a few days now and thought I'd make my first post asking for some advice. First, a little history. My High School had a program that allowed us to learn about health and get a bit of first-hand knowledge of medicine. I applied to the program and was accepted as a sophomore (the program was Junior/Senior only, I was the first sophomore ever allowed into the program.) I continued in this program through graduation. The course taught anatomy/physiology, terminology, sterile technique, DHO, immunology, Disease control, etc. The final semester of the program the instructor placed us into shadowing positions 4 days/wk in various clinics and hospitals around the area. I absolutely loved medicine, it was the most fulfilling and amazing coursework and lifestyle I can imagine! Through a crazy turn of events, I left all of this after graduation and became self-employed (very long story). I never attended college. My business is sucessful, things are going well, but it's not my first love. So my question is, I suppose: Is it realistic for me to now consider giving up my business, getting a pre-med/biology degree and attempting med. school? My weakness in HS was always math, but I think I can learn what I need for that, science has always been my forte so I'm not concerned with it. I'm 24, so we're looking at completing med. school and starting residency (assuming no complications) around the age of 32. Is my history going to be an issue or a stumbling block? I'm sure I will have more questions, sorry for the long post. I would appreciate any replies!

Mikeish

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. I have been scouring this forum for a few days now and thought I'd make my first post asking for some advice. First, a little history. My High School had a program that allowed us to learn about health and get a bit of first-hand knowledge of medicine. I applied to the program and was accepted as a sophomore (the program was Junior/Senior only, I was the first sophomore ever allowed into the program.) I continued in this program through graduation. The course taught anatomy/physiology, terminology, sterile technique, DHO, immunology, Disease control, etc. The final semester of the program the instructor placed us into shadowing positions 4 days/wk in various clinics and hospitals around the area. I absolutely loved medicine, it was the most fulfilling and amazing coursework and lifestyle I can imagine! Through a crazy turn of events, I left all of this after graduation and became self-employed (very long story). I never attended college. My business is sucessful, things are going well, but it's not my first love. So my question is, I suppose: Is it realistic for me to now to consider giving up my business, getting a pre-med/biology degree and attempting med. school? My weakness in HS was always math, but I think I can learn what I need for that, science has always been my forte so I'm not concerned with it. I'm 24, so we're looking at completing med. school and starting residency (assuming no complications) around the age of 32. Is my history going to be an issue or a stumbling block? I'm sure I will have more questions, sorry for the long post. I would appreciate any replies!

Mikeish

Mikeish,

My story is somewhat similiar. I was in college, a senior, and my parents cut me off. Lack of performance. I had always wanted to become a doctor, but had been supported in other arenas. I too had my own company with employees, I was young and very successful. But, everyday I thought about medicine. I regretted not doing what I wanted to. I had done what everyone else thought I should do...I lived THEIR dream. So, I went back to school, finished up 12 credits and graduated. After a series of events in my life, I realized that if I didn't pursue medicine, I would regret it on my deathbed. I spoke with someone who has become my mentor (also a physician) and when I brought up that "I would be old" when I finished, she said "You are going to be old anyway...why not old and a doctor?" I enrolled in a post-bacc at 31 and have no problem with my age. You will find MANY who returned successfully on SDN. You actually have an advantage. You don't have a past GPA to make up for. It is all a fresh slate for you and you have the invaluable experience of life under your belt. If you want it, do it. Don't let age stop you. 24 is young dude. Seriously. There are many stories to be found here that will inspire you. Do what YOU want. If medicine is it..great. If scraping gum off of the street is what you want..great. Step outside your comfort zone and try...you may be surprised at what you can accomplish. Good luck.:luck:

Hello all. I have been scouring this forum for a few days now and thought I'd make my first post asking for some advice. First, a little history. My High School had a program that allowed us to learn about health and get a bit of first-hand knowledge of medicine. I applied to the program and was accepted as a sophomore (the program was Junior/Senior only, I was the first sophomore ever allowed into the program.) I continued in this program through graduation. The course taught anatomy/physiology, terminology, sterile technique, DHO, immunology, Disease control, etc. The final semester of the program the instructor placed us into shadowing positions 4 days/wk in various clinics and hospitals around the area. I absolutely loved medicine, it was the most fulfilling and amazing coursework and lifestyle I can imagine! Through a crazy turn of events, I left all of this after graduation and became self-employed (very long story). I never attended college. My business is sucessful, things are going well, but it's not my first love. So my question is, I suppose: Is it realistic for me to now consider giving up my business, getting a pre-med/biology degree and attempting med. school? My weakness in HS was always math, but I think I can learn what I need for that, science has always been my forte so I'm not concerned with it. I'm 24, so we're looking at completing med. school and starting residency (assuming no complications) around the age of 32. Is my history going to be an issue or a stumbling block? I'm sure I will have more questions, sorry for the long post. I would appreciate any replies!

Mikeish

There is no problem with going back to college, getting a degree and the prereqs, and then taking the MCAT and applying to med school. You are not going to be setting any records for age starting med school at 29. And you needn't be a premed/biology major -- med schools take folks with any major in college. You just have to make sure you take the prerequisite science courses (2 semesters of each of bio, gen chem, orgo, physics, plus labs. At some places biochem is required as well as 2 semesters of math and english). Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point I am considering three different colleges here in AR, one is my local school ~5K students, the other is around ~10K, and the last one is the college that owns the med school. Are there any realistic reasons aside from finances to choose one over the other? I will likely do a Bio or other science course for the simple reason that my interest lies therein. I should also perhaps mention that I am a student at a Bible College at the moment, but the school is not accredited so none of the hours will transfer. I may have over looked this in the threads (this is a rather large volume of info to sift through at one time!) but how are the majority of non-trads financing school? I am assuming (because of certain circumstances) that I will not be able to use any of my business' money for tuition.

Go to the college where you think you will do the best. Research the quality of instruction and any academic support services they offer that can help you do well. Student/Faculty ratio is very important. That would be my advice.

Look into selling your business or bringing in someone who can run it for you while you are in school, and have min. contact. You have worked hard to build it, use it to your advantage, use it to help you pay for your schooling.

I'm self employed, and I plan to sell my practices before starting med school. Look into it, you will be suprised by a little research.

PD

Mikeish

Curious what kind of such a successful business you had straight from high school, seems like a gas station or family corner store.

Curious what kind of such a successful business you had straight from high school, seems like a gas station or family corner store.

I thought the above quote was funny:oops:

If I had to guess, I would say contractor. That type of business is easier to build up quickly into a money maker. Plus, if you have some intelligence, work hard, are clean, show up on time, and do what you say, people will give you money hand over fist.