Medical Schools that do not require the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wishonaneyelash

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- I am new to this website and I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent respectable medical schools (anywhere) that do not require the MCAT?? How important is the MCAT? Does it play a role in determining your residency in the U.S. once you get out of medical school?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi- I am new to this website and I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent respectable medical schools (anywhere) that do not require the MCAT?? How important is the MCAT? Does it play a role in determining your residency in the U.S. once you get out of medical school?

Thanks.

Nope. That's why it's called the Medical College Admissions Test. The MCAT is strictly for getting into medical schoo. The USMLE plays a role in your residency choices. USMLE=US medical licensing exam. MCAT is extremely important. Generally, accepted applicants score 30+, at least a 10 in each groupling. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks.

MCAT is also an indicator of how well you will perform in medical school and on USMLE exam. I do not know of any US or Canadian medical school that does not require MCAT. If your preparation in Biology, Chemistry (General and Organic) and Physics is adequate, it is not at all difficult to do well. Good luck.

According to MSAR, Brown doesn't require MCAT.

Dartmouth doesn't require the MCAT, but says that not taking the test will hinder an application.

Reactions: 1 user
Dartmouth doesn't require the MCAT, but says that not taking the test will hinder an application.

What?

There are only 3 schools in NA that do not ask for the MCAT that I know of - University of Ottawa, McMaster University, and Northern Ontario School of Medicine. These are all located in Ontario, Canada. Every other LCME school requires it I think, including DMS.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks.

You must take the MCAT to go to a US allo med school. It has little to no role in determining your residency, though some studies suggest a small correlation between hom one does on the MCAT and how one will do on the USMLE exams.

You must take the MCAT to go to a US allo med school. It has little to no role in determining your residency, though some studies suggest a small correlation between hom one does on the MCAT and how one will do on the USMLE exams.

I'd say it has no role at all. My medical school transcripts did not have my MCAT scores on them, the Dean's letter did not mention them, and the ERAS application for residency does not ask for them. Additionally, I was never asked about my MCAT score during any interview in both years Iwent through the match.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of only one major medical school with a MCAT loophole. Wake Forest has an Early Assurance Program for applicants who have completed two years of undergraduate work. I learned about it last year, but I decided not to apply for it since frankly, I did not qualify. Their website states:

"Well-qualified college students, upon completion of the sophomore year, at very competitive schools may apply for acceptance to the class entering two years later. Eligibility requires a minimum GPA of 3.5 each semester for the science, non-science and overall GPAs and completion of half of the required prerequisites. THE MCAT WILL NOT BE REQUIRED.

A student applies early in the junior year through the AMCAS process (November 1 deadline), asking consideration for the EAP. The applicant must agree to complete requisite courses, to continue academic excellence, to demonstrate high ethical conduct and not to apply to any other medical school. Non-acceptance by the EAP does not influence future applications. The EAP should not be confused with the Early Decision Program."

I called the admissions office to see if this really meant no MCAT requirement and it does mean just that. In fact , they accepted a Wake Forest ungrad last year with no MCAT score (he/she must have cured cancer !!). However, per the admissions officer, very few applicants are accepted on this basis (1 or 2 per year at most), and the person from admissions charactized it as an "extremely" competitive program. She said there have been a few years when nobody was accepted under this Early Assurance Program, even with MCAT scores provided.

In the MSAR it actually says that Dartmouth doesn't require the MCAT but, surprise surprise, 99% of 2005 accepted students took took it.

Unless you do a combined baccalaureate/MD program, get ready to take the MCAT.
:)

What?

There are only 3 schools in NA that do not ask for the MCAT that I know of - University of Ottawa, McMaster University, and Northern Ontario School of Medicine. These are all located in Ontario, Canada. Every other LCME school requires it I think, including DMS.

Yes. The only way I know of doing it is to go into a program directly out of high school. Eastern VA Med School admits some applicants directly out of high school, and assuming you get a good enough GPA in undergrad, you begin med school after graduating without the MCAT. I'm sure there are similar programs at other schools.

Yes. The only way I know of doing it is to go into a program directly out of high school. Eastern VA Med School admits some applicants directly out of high school, and assuming you get a good enough GPA in undergrad, you begin med school after graduating without the MCAT. I'm sure there are similar programs at other schools.

The Wake program seems unique though. It is not a program for high schollers like I have seen at other places. Rather, they are taking college students who are juniors, including applicants attending other schools for their undergraduate work. So it is a truly "early assurance" open to people from other colleges For instance, a junior at Duke could apply to Wake med school under this program, get accepted, and then go on to complete their undergraduate degree at Duke, all the while never having to take the MCAT.

SUNY Upstate, SUNY Buffalo, and Mt. Sinai have similar programs where you are accepted as a sophomore/junior. Check them out.

IIT in chicago has one too, to get into Rush. It's for IIT juniors or transfer students, and the MCAT is taken "for statistical reasons" but not for application... though you do have to keep a minimum GPA.

My school generally requires the MCAT, but one classmate of mine was accepted before taking the MCAT, on the condition that he take it before matriculation and get some minimum score (I don't know the exact number or breakdown). I don't know the details, but I'm sure it was a very special circumstance.

If you do a premed postbac program at certain schools (Like Bryn Mawr College or Gaucher) you can do an linkage with Brown, Dartmouth or Rochester and don't have to take the MCAT.

University of Toledo has an early assurance program similar to the Wake program in that you apply after sophomore year of college, and if accepted are exempt from the MCAT. In lieu of the MCAT, you spend 2 weeks there during the summer after your junior year attending lectures, doing PBL, doing gross lab stuff, a service project, and shadowing in the hospital. It's an intense 2 week preview of what med school is like, and the medical profession in general.

They require a 3.7 GPA after the second year of college and 30 ACT/1270 SAT (taken during high school) to apply. The SAT score is based on the old scale out of 1600- I don't know when the new test came in or what the equivalent score would be (sorry).

The stats for the class accepted in 2007 were a 3.83 GPA, 30 ACT, 1353 SAT.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent respectable medical schools (anywhere) that do not require the MCAT

Stewarts (in California) doesn't require the MCAT. But it isn't decent and respectable. I think their website is still down.

What are some EARLY ASSURANCE PROGRAMS TO MEDICAL SCHOOL THAT REQUIRE NO MCAT OR A LOW MCAT SCORE WHICH IS USED FOR STATISTICAL REASONS...ALSO THE PROGRAM ENABLES YOU TO APPLY AFTER FRESHMAN/SOPHOMORE YEAR IN COLLEGE AND WHAT'S THE GPA REQUIREMENT...Please let me know...

And the Stewarts thing wasn't funny...