Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor_md

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey any students with 27-29 mcat score recieved any interviews yet? if so, where? and when where u complete??

thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad.

not personally, but I know of plenty at MSU and Wayne...

hey any students with 27-29 mcat score recieved any interviews yet? if so, where? and when where u complete??

thanks.:)

Hi there, 29 MCAT with <3.5 GPA. I've received 6 MD interviews but was complete WAY BACK. I'm talkin like July/August.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What schools?
And what is your secret?

yes, id like to know too, what is your secret?

maestro..............really? what were the rest of their apps like? and when did they interview?

NYMC, Drexel, EVMS, VCU/MCV, Downstate, Wayne State

As you can see, none of these are top schools, but who cares, they're all great programs IMO.

As for secrets, I really couldn't tell you. Some might call me lucky, I have 1 summer of clinical experience and the rest of my AMCAS is stuff I enjoy (fitness hobbies/jobs). IMO, if there was 1 strength to my application, it would be the fact that I was consistent with that 1 fitness aspect. It's what I truly love, and what drove my towards medicine, and I let schools know that in every way possible.

If you really want a secret, it would be to apply early and broadly, and keep your fingers crossed. Good luck y'all! You really don't need 30+ to get into medical school, although it would definitely help.

Edit: And Oh yea, play up your strengths as much as possible, not your weaknesses.

Reactions: 4 users
I have a 29 from April. I was complete at most schools in Oct and have 4 MD interviews (University of Nevada SOM, West Virginia University SOM, University of Washington SOM, and St. Louis University SOM) and 1 MD acceptance at SLU- still really pumped, I just got the email today!!!!

There is hope for you guys with MCATs below 30, even if you didn't apply super early.

GOOD LUCK ALL, I'm rooting for the <30 bunch!!!

Reactions: 2 users
NYMC, Drexel, EVMS, VCU/MCV, Downstate, Wayne State

As you can see, none of these are top schools, but who cares, they're all great programs IMO.

As for secrets, I really couldn't tell you. Some might call me lucky, I have 1 summer of clinical experience and the rest of my AMCAS is stuff I enjoy (fitness hobbies/jobs). IMO, if there was 1 strength to my application, it would be the fact that I was consistent with that 1 fitness aspect. It's what I truly love, and what drove my towards medicine, and I let schools know that in every way possible.

If you really want a secret, it would be to apply early and broadly, and keep your fingers crossed. Good luck y'all! You really don't need 30+ to get into medical school, although it would definitely help.

congrats again robizzle, when is ur interview at wayne?? how lond did it take to recieve invitation?

29, 4 MD interviews. More than I expected, but I could use an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
congrats again robizzle, when is ur interview at wayne?? how lond did it take to recieve invitation?

I think I was completely some time in September. They received my AMCAS in June and I didn't get the secondary until September. After that, they were quiet for a long time, so I emailed them some time in November asking what was up and they just said I was in the "possible interview pile" or something. I received the invite in the beginning of December less than 2 weeks later, I think my e-mail might have done the trick.

They assigned me a date in late January, but I declined since I received an acceptance at NYMC. I hope it opens up to one of you guys.

plenty of my classmates at albion have gotten interviews... most had 3.9+ GPAs and 29s, though one of my friends with a 27 (no idea what her GPA is) got an interview at MSU way back in early september.

yea i have heard of some 29ers getting some love, but not so much for 27s

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is really good to have. I am glad for all of you guys with <30 scores. I hope everything works out. I really wish my gf applied this year. She got a 29 and decided she had no chance and didn't bother. Judging from this thread it seems like it wasn't fit for impossibility. Gah, girls.

I was in the same early batch as Robizzle...

29 mcat from April

Interviews at: GW, Loyola, NYMC, Penn State, EVMS, Drexel, VCU
Acceptances: GW, Loyola, NYMC, Drexel

I think having a masters has made the difference for me. But, I had a 3.6 undergrad GPA, ~3.4 BCPM

It is definitely doable to get interviews from great schools. They want solid experiences and genuinely caring people. I think the interview made the difference for me.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: everyone.
:love:
~minijoy

Reactions: 1 users
congrats minijoy!

i guess that applying early really makes the difference. i wish i had planned out my application process better...but i am an august mcater (however, i could have submitted earlier)

the wait is killing me, and know that most schools are booked for january...makes me more worried because i would REALLY like to get an interviews by FEB...at least ONE....

MCAT 29P, GPA 3.97, 2 research with NCI, community leader,
5 Interviews: MSU CHM, Wayne, Meharry, Penn Sate, SUNY Baffalo
2 acceptances, 2 wailisted, 1 coming

I don't know precisely what she got, but I'm pretty sure it was sub 30. She's a pretty incredible girl though, probably close to a 4.0 at a top school and a generally good and motivated person. She got into better schools than I will get into with an MCAT 10 points higher... JHU, Yale, etc... If your score is sub 30 and reflects your general ability, then you're in trouble, but if you know and it's obvious to others that you are better than that then you can still be alright. You can also always take it again.

Sub 30 into JHU? She must be incredible...

29P (11 in VR, 9's in sciences), 3.74 sci GPA, 3.78 overall GPA traditional student.

I was complete everywhere by the end of August. I've had 2 MD interviews and was accepted to both schools. More info is in my profile, if you're interested. I agree with the above posters that applying early is good, but be sure that if you are applying early, send in a quality application. A sloppy, early application won't help. :)

Like it's been said on here in the past, the average matriculant MCAT to medical school is around a 30. Now look at all the applicants with 35's and up on this site, and think about how many <30 there need to be to counter those numbers to avg out to 30. :cool:

27S MCAT, gpa 3.6 from UCSD, 10+ MD interviews and extremely grateful

I'm a traditional student with some non-trad experiences and I think that this helped shape and support my strong motivations toward medicine and is reflected in my personal statment. Complete at most schools in August--I really think the key is to get in those apps as early as possible.

:luck: :luck: :luck: to all!!

27O MCAT, 3.78GPA, nothing but two rejections... still keeping my fingers crossed, i was complete in October

Something that needs to be taken into consideration while viewing this thread and seeing people that have been accepted with <30 MCATS:

A majority of us (I am not saying everyone so don't jump on me) applied early. This is very important. So some of you who have applied later in the season and are not seeing the success that some of us have experienced, keep in mind that earlier is better and improves your chances dramatically...especially at rolling admissions schools. Nonetheless, keep hope alive and stay on top of the schools that you have applied to by sending updates, and checking your status often. Good luck!!

27R (7V, 9B, 11P), 3.4 GPA

Interviewed at VCU back on 10/16.

Outside of that not much luck. Rejections from Downstate, Albany, EVMS, Rochester and GW.

A majority of us (I am not saying everyone so don't jump on me) applied early. This is very important. So some of you who have applied later in the season and are not seeing the success that some of us have experienced, keep in mind that earlier is better and improves your chances dramatically...especially at rolling admissions schools. Nonetheless, keep hope alive and stay on top of the schools that you have applied to by sending updates, and checking your status often. Good luck!!

agreed. i applied in july/august.
4 interviews, 2 acceptances, 1 waitlist, 1 pending interview.

28S, 3.9, not much clinical, 4 interviews, 1 pending interview, 1 acceptance, see mdapps for the rest. good luck to all of you still waiting.:luck: :luck:

I have received 4 interview offers so far. There are plenty of people with this range of scores that are getting interviews and acceptances. Take a breath and relax.

I had a 30 (10 10 10) so I'm not really that far from a 29 but I though I would chime in

I had interviews at Penn State, Maryland, NYU, Einstein, Jefferson, NYMC, EVA, VCU, GW,Temple

Accepted at: Penn State, Maryland, Jefferson, Temple, EVA
Withdrew app from: NYMC,GW,VCU

Waiting for NYU :scared:

Anyway, I had a solid application but the key to my success with a 30, which is good but not amazing, was that I applied pretty broadly to schools that I knew I had at least a shot at. The other key to my success was that I applied very early, which is more important than many people realize.

I'm going to chime in as well. Good idea for a thread.

I consider myself reasonably nuts for applying MD/PhD with a sub 30 MCAT score. However, I've had one MD interview so far (Pitt) and I have two MD/PhD interviews scheduled for next month (U of Alabama and U of Illinois Chicago). I'm on the WL at Pitt, and still waiting to hear back from 13 schools otherwise.

Many people told me that applying MD/PhD with MCAT <33 was insane, but I went ahead and did it b/c I thought that my good GPA, LORs, and research experience could show the AdComs that I have what it takes to make it as a physician scientist.

Good :luck: to all those who are reading this thread and trying to figure out what to do next year. :)

Reactions: 1 user
hey guys,
29 MCAT
three interviews:Buffalo, Drexel, NYMC
waitlisted at Buffalo and Drexel, no word back from NYMC yet
crossing my fingers to the point of breaking.......:eek:

porcelain congrats on your interviews, but may i ask when were you complete at NYMC, and how long did it take for them to get back to you?

thanks.

you go, guys

29 O MCAT 3.84 overall 3.86 science
Interviewed at all Texas schools buy Baylor
accepted at UTH TCOM UTSA and TAMU all pre-match

now I'm waiting on UTSW!

It can be done!!! If you don't apply you'll never know if you'll get in! Just do it and believe in yourself :D

3.9 GPA, 30 MCAT....1 accpetance 2 rejections. If you think 30 is the magic number just look at the threads above me. The people are kickin my ass!!! :D

I'm not much above (a 30 MCAT), and I'm hella jealous of those of you who got GWU interviews. They have so many programs/institutes that just sound really cool (Hello, nerdy!). But alas, they heart me not.

I'll trade you one of my interviews for one of your GWU interviews ;)

I'm not much above (a 30 MCAT), and I'm hella jealous of those of you who got GWU interviews.

Cartman: You guys are hella stupid.
Stan: Why do you keep saying 'hella", Cartman?
Cartman: 'Cuz I'm hella cool, that's why.

haha sorry, you reminded me of the Evil Cartman episode... :D

Cartman: You guys are hella stupid.
Stan: Why do you keep saying 'hella", Cartman?
Cartman: 'Cuz I'm hella cool, that's why.

haha sorry, you reminded me of the Evil Cartman episode... :D

I have a really bad habit of choosing pop culture words, slang, & bizarre exclamations and incorporating them consistently into my dialogue. "Holla!" and "Aaaamen, sister (or brother)!" have been two favorites for the past year. I'm really afraid that one day, it's going to slip out in an interview and my interviewer will be utterly bemused. Or that I'll start singing Three 6 Mafia under my breath like I did in front of The Grandma the other day. "Ever since I can remember I've been working these hoes...":eek:

Hello all,

I got a 29P (9,10,10) spread, 3.72 GPA (3.6 science) and like you all I was worried. I made SURE to apply early, like we're talking all my secondaries out by mid August, just so I could make sure they wouldn't immediately throw me in the rejection pile. Luckily, and I know I am one of the more fortunate ones, it has worked to my advantage.

7 interviews
2 acceptances
2 rejections

I was told during my interviews that what put me above all the rest were my letters of rec, my essay (which took upwards of a year to write), and my extremely non-traditional experiences (things like tropical field research, professional mariachi, and stage managing at Houston Grand Opera.) Good luck to all of you, and feel free to pm me if you wanted to talk or ask questions or whatever!! I love distractions

hi

29 (and uneven!) 3.74

9 int offers; 2 acc, 1 rej, 2 WL, 2 Hold/No Dec

I think my biggest "secret" was applying as early as possible, and after having done this for the third time, making sure that my application was very well put together. i also applied to 25 schools, and many of my interviews came from schools I did not apply to before. last year i got 5 of 8 interviews, 4 WL, 1 rej....so it's also important to interview well :) the year before i think i was 1 of 12, and that was to my state school. that application was definitely much worse than my current app w/ all the new experiences i have added.

29 is by no means a bad score. interviewers tell you that. however, you do get interviewers that ask why you didn't do better. my MCW interviewer kept saying if i could get a 12 on bio, why couldn't i just retake and focus on chem/phys. and i said b/c my score was good enough, why would i waste my time to do better when i didn't have to. as long as a school cares about the person, a 29 shows that you can handle medical school work, no one needs to see that you are a gen chem genius....honestly :rolleyes: prove that you are a person that should be a physician through your application

My friend got accepted to dartmouth and the other state school with mcat between 27-29 and not 4.0 gpa.

April 05, 8VR, 9 BS, 9 PS
April 06, 6VR, 9 BS, 10 PS

+ 3.8 Science and Overall GPA = 11 MD interviews so far which I'm very grateful for. Like everyone else has said, I applied early and was completed in most schools by August/early September. I also have a lot going for me other than my numbers - NonTrad out of school for 3 years, Fulbright Fellow, Tons of Work, Research and Clinical Experiences, in addition to volunteer, leadership and extracurricular stuff. I've gotten 2 rejections, waitlisted at 3 schools, still in the running at 4 schools, and 2 interviews in January. There's hope for all you <30 folks so don't give up. Some ad com will see that you can be a good physician and decide to give you a chance. I'll post my profile on mdapplicants with more details at the end of this stressful application process. Hang in there everyone and Happy Holidays!

Sub 30 into JHU? She must be incredible...

My friends got into JHU with a 29 as well.

I hate to say this but the average MCAT score is in the 27 range, so I don't understand why it seems to amazing that people get into "good" schools with sub 30 scores.

anybody get an interview with a 8 on their bio score........i have a 29 (11V, 10PS, 8Bio)...

My friends got into JHU with a 29 as well.

I hate to say this but the average MCAT score is in the 27 range, so I don't understand why it seems to amazing that people get into "good" schools with sub 30 scores.

yes, but the average for people being accepted is a 30, the average for people even applying is about a 28. The mean (median?) score for the spring MCAT this year was 25.6.

in other words, the average person to get in will be in the 75th percentile.

plus, let's not forget the whole bell curve issue. the difference between a 28 and a 30 is a lot less than a 30 and 32... even more so for 32 to 34.