Co-first author on a top journal or sole first author on a lesser journal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cin1012

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm preparing to submit my first manuscript hopefully sometime in the next few months, and have an authorship-related question for you guys. As it stands, combining my data with that of a postdoc in my lab will make the paper the strongest it can be (thus have the best chance at getting in Science/Nature type journal), but that will most likely result in co-authorships (stars next to our names) with mine being the second author listed. I will then use the rest of my data for a subsequent paper with me being the sole first author, but probably in a lesser journal (PNAS or less). If we hold off and submit separately, we will each need to get more data. There's also the fear of getting scooped while we gather those extra data.

This will be my first 1st authorship paper, so obviously I'm excited about it. At this point, I'm not sure how much research I will do throughout my career. What I do know is I would definitely like to do a residency, and then decide from there.

So my question is, should I aim for the top journal and be ok with the second co-authorship? Or, should I hold off and be a sole first author. I guess alternatively, I can try to get the first co-authorship, though I'm not sure how likely that will be.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with the co-first author paper in Science or Nature if your PI thinks it can get in. Also, a first author PNAS paper is very solid in most cases.

Science or Nature papers are free tickets to nice post-doctoral fellowships and future grants - instant credibility.

Remember some scientists never get to those levels - relish those opportunities if they come.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I agree, especially if you're worried your work might be scooped if you hold off. Take the co-authorship in Science or Nature if you can get it; that's quite a coup for you. :)

Just to add another vote, I'd take Science or top journal with co-author. You'd get pretty good bragging rights

I'd take the co-authorship in a high impact journal rather than a sole authorship in a medium impact any day. Even if you are listed second but with the star as a shared first-author, it's not like you won't get a future opportunity to be a bonafide first-author on the list.

How soon are you planning on finishing up grad school and heading back to med school?

Realize that the bar is pretty high for Science or Nature, and even if the editors decide to send the manuscript off for in-depth review and the reviews come back favorable, that you may be required to do additional work for acceptance.

On the other hand, if it will take even more time to complete the work necessary for a sole first-author to a lesser journal, then you might as well go for the top now and keep pushing forward with the work so you are ready to re-write should the manuscript be rejected.

Good luck and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed! :)

I hope you're not counting your eggs before they hatch. Getting a paper into Science/Nature isn't something anyone can really count on before hand.

Thanks for everyone who responded - I'm definitely leaning toward the co-first authorship. Vader in response to your question, I'm currently in my 3rd year PhD and plan to take another year, though I would like to wrap things up by next winter to give me few months before returning to med school.

I understand that there's no such thing as getting into Science/Nature with certainty, but as I mentioned combining the data will give us the best crack at it. I've definitely been trying to keep a realistic perspective during this whole process. I plan on pushing hard to crank out as much data as possible in the next few months, and hopefully things will play out ok.

Goodluck. I'm hoping for a pub in neuropsychopharmacology. My PI got into Nature 15 years after her PhD.. so kudos to you

Yeah, I know I'm late, but I have to disagree with everyone here.

Co-first author papers are a joke. It's really more of a glorified second author than anything. Every time your paper is referenced your name will not be there. Your committee/PI may not count it towards your graduation. Even when you refer to it it will be (otherguy, et al. 2007).

That said, a Nature/Science paper IS impressive. But so is PNAS. That publication will be YOURS. Most times, PIs force students to share data to get a higher quality paper. Giving you the option is a good opportunity for you to get what's yours.

/know from experience

Co-first author papers are increasingly common, especially in the top journals. Everyone understands this, and does not detract from one's contribution. For CV purposes, some people choose to switch the order to put their name first (only if co-first author), although this practice is somewhat controversial.

A committee will have absolutely no problem with a co-first author Science/Nature paper, so long as they understand that you had a significant, leading contribution to the work (which is implied by the co-first author designation).

I agree on the point that PIs will often force students to share to get a higher quality paper. In my opinion, this is largely to the student's advantage, however, since publication in a high-impact journal can significantly enhance one's CV and career prospects. On the other hand, folks in the field will know solid work when they see it, regardless of the journal in which it is published.

Just thought I'd give you guys an update on this situation.

Last week, I sat down with my PI to draft out the outline for the manuscript that would include combined data. I've since then finished a very rough first draft for the manuscript. It turns out that 1/2 of the figures will come directly from my data/ideas, 1/4 from the postdoc, and 1/4 from a collaborator's lab. The postdoc generated lines of transgenic animal that made his studies possible thus provide in vivo data, and I performed all the biochemical studies (which ironically were done prior to the completion of the transgenic studies and directly impacted the types of experiments performed on these transgenics). I pointed out to my PI that I would be providing the majority of the data, and should be considered to be the first of the co-firsts. He saw my point, but thought that the postdoc would not agree to be a co-first unless he is listed first.

Anyway, so the three of us sat down and had a meeting to discuss authorships. As expected, the postdoc said if he's not listed first then he rather submit separately to lesser journals. This is he's 3rd or 4th postdoc, and he really needed first authorships to advance his career. I didn't want the situation to get ugly, and I truly believed that we would have a good shot at top journals if combining the data, so I said I would be ok with being the 2nd co-first.

So at the end of the day, we decided to do this... We will submit combinedly with me being the 2nd co-first to Science/Nature. If that gets reviewed, great, we will then address reviewers comments etc. If it gets rejected, then we will divide the papers and submit separately with us being sole first authors.

I was just reading a post in the Student Researh forum, where the poster said he/she is one of 4 co-first authors, so I guess these things really are becoming more common these days. But the level of politics involved in research is indeed intriguing. I just hope I did the right thing...

Thanks for all your comments!

That sounds like a fair deal. Creating a stable transgenic animal line is no simple task, and I think that the deal you have is a fair one. That said, I don't know what other first-author papers that postdoc has on the front-burner with this project. If this is his third or fourth postdoc position, the Science impact is going to help, but it won't be everything that gives him/her a chance to get the next job.

Good luck!!!!

Expect many rounds of revisions!!!!!

Also know that there is a possiblility that the paper could be "pseudo-rejected".... Don't be discouraged. Journals are rejecting more and more papers outright to avoid obligations in publication with moderate revisions, even though they would accept them with changes. I just had this happen with an HMG paper... be very carful reading the editor's decisions.