"Official" 2007 ROL Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Will

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know I'm jumping the gun by two days, but I just don't care anymore. Besides, I'm sure the majority of PD's have turned their ROL in already and probably won't be making too many changes. So I'm going to get this ball rolling and here is my ROL.

14. Drexel: Really liked the ICU experience, but ultimately, I felt this was a program under flux. Plus, anesthesia handles airway during the day. I still can't get over this, but that's me.

13. Downstate/King's County: I really like this program. Great mix of academics and clinical training. Two reasons it isn't higher...location (NY isn't appealing as a resident, especially Brooklyn) and the worst ancillary staff in the history of man. I'd rather match than not.

12. USC/LA County: Great program with a great PD (Swadron). I really bought into his philosophy of the place. I think the clinical training here is second to none in that you will see everything, probably more than once. Ultimately, I didn't want to end up at a PGY2-4 program, and I felt the peds experience was lacking. Make it a 4 year program and it likely would have been my number 1.

11. Georgetown: Awesome program in only it's second year. I can't imagine how great this place will be in 4 or 5 years. Great pathology, one of the most down to earth faculties I met on the trail. Great people all around. It just came down to whether I wanted to be a "pioneer" for that program, and for me, I didn't. Although it was tempting. Nothing bad to say about this program.

10. Highland: Probably my dissapointment for the season in terms of where it ended up on my list. I grew up 30 min. south and would be more than at home in the bay area. UCSF starting it's program brings about unknowns. The faculty is young and energetic. I just didn't like being the strongest program in the hospital...and with UCSF, who knows what will happen.

9. Cook County: This is home. I know so many people here and would be happy training here. Personally, I think the faculty is absolutely top notch and teach a ton (I know others didn't get that idea). This became a purely location decision. After 5 years in Chicago, I didn't want to be here anymore. Only other reason, PGY2-4. But I would sacrafice for this in a second if I wanted to stay in Chicago.

8. Boston Medical Center: I loved this program and the faculty I met. The only negatives I saw was just an average bread and butter peds experience. I wanted more time at Boston Children's. Great faculty who were all very funny. If I match here, I'm doing the prelim year to make it a 1-4.

7. Ohio State: Probably one of the best peds experiences in the country, and definitely tops for a 3 year program. This was a pleasant surprise, from the facilities, to the faculty, to the camaraderie and the affordable city. I found this program to have many similarities (in what I wanted) to the next program on the list, but it came down to me living in Cali than Ohio. Awesome program though.

6. UC Davis: Ahhh...I LOVED UCD. I did undergrad here, worked in the ED, and came back to rotate through. Some of the best faculty and great teachers I've met. Also probably the best overall group of residents I met. All fun and helpful my month there. It pains me to rank them at this spot, but could easily drop down here seeing how competitive this year has been. The only negative is that I felt surgery to be a little too dominating in the hospital and the peds experience a little lacking (I know cuz i did shifts there). But I would be more than happy to work with the peeps here.

5. U of Md: Another pleasant surprise. Hands down the top PD on the trail. I love everything about his philosophy and the curriculum he has instilled. Shock trauma, a beautiful hospital, an academic/teaching curriculum, plenty of opportunities, the list goes on. Great in every way. I'd be very happy to open my envelope and see this program. Peds experience may be average, but everything else makes up for it.

4. UPenn: Penn reminds me of Cinci in so many ways. Great PD, faculty, curriculum, elective opportunities, off service, and a great peds experience. I felt surprisingly comfortable at Penn and think the place will continue to improve.

3. Harbor/UCLA: This run down looking place gave me such a great gut feeling. Only 10 minutes from Palos Verdes, where I have family, this place would make me very happy. Also, the curriculum and residents are awesome. This place would give me EVERYTHING I wanted in a program, plus the great location with family nearby. The only reason it took the 3 spot is that I started leaning more towards 4 year programs.

2. Denver: Loved everything about this program (faculty, curriculum, patient population, clinical experience, peds, etc) and most importantly, would love to live in Denver (snowboarding baby!) This could have easily been my number 1 except I felt at home and the most comfortable at my number 1.

1. Cinci: I knew this would be number 1 from the moment Dr. Blomkalns started cracking jokes. Felt at home and loved everything they had to offer. COL added in, and I'll gladly live in Cinci for 4 years. Read my review for details...I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!

Changed my mind and added reasons. Location and gut where larger factors than expected. Good luck peeps!

Members don't see this ad.

So I know I'm jumping the gun by two days, but I just don't care anymore. Besides, I'm sure the majority of PD's have turned their ROL in already and probably won't be making too many changes. So I'm going to get this ball rolling and here is my ROL.

14. Drexel
13. Downstate/King's County
12. USC/LA County
11. Georgetown
10. Highland
9. Cook County
8. Boston Medical Center
7. Ohio State
6. UC Davis
5. U of Md
4. UPenn
3. Harbor/UCLA
2. Denver
1. Cinci

I think I'm going to keep my reasons for ranking certain places where they are to myself. But for the most part, location came into play a lot, especially with programs I felt were very similar. Plus, I wrote a crap load of reviews and you can pretty much figure out what I held important as I went through the process. Good luck everyone.

Strong list! Good luck. I dont think you can go wrong!

Dr Will did you interview at Indy? Is it on your list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply/interview at any Michigan programs? Or know anything about them? Sorry, I'm new, I didn't see your reviews.

Did you apply/interview at any Michigan programs? Or know anything about them? Sorry, I'm new, I didn't see your reviews.

Check the review sticky...I reviewed U Michigan

I am not ready to post my list yet, but I did wake up last night with the shakes wondering if my list was really in.

So here's the stupid/paranoid question.
On my NRMP page it says "ROL certified". The 'certified' is in green. I received a quasi-threatening letter from the nrmp regarding contract parameters and confirmation.
Am I now all set?
What else, if anything, do I need to do to be 'certified' .....nay 'ratified'.... nope 'BONAFIDE'????

I am not ready to post my list yet, but I did wake up last night with the shakes wondering if my list was really in.

So here's the stupid/paranoid question.
On my NRMP page it says "ROL certified". The 'certified' is in green. I received a quasi-threatening letter from the nrmp regarding contract parameters and confirmation.
Am I now all set?
What else, if anything, do I need to do to be 'certified' .....nay 'ratified'.... nope 'BONAFIDE'????

As long as you have that green ROL certified, you're all set. Good luck!

I liked reading this last year and my list is set, pm me with any questions

5. Orlando
4. Wake forest
3. UF-Gainesville
2. Vandy
1. MCG

Does anyone know how/where to find the past ROLs for EM? I tried a search but didn't come up with it. I don't know if it'll help me or just make me feel good about "looking" at lists and seeing what people thought of programs (the ones with comments). Thanks---almost close to posting my ROL. . .

Does anyone know how/where to find the past ROLs for EM? I tried a search but didn't come up with it. I don't know if it'll help me or just make me feel good about "looking" at lists and seeing what people thought of programs (the ones with comments). Thanks---almost close to posting my ROL. . .

If you type in "ROL" in the "search this forum" area, you come up with past ROL. Last years lists start showing up on page 2.

Eh, I may post mine this weekend. Depends on how much tequila I drink.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I'll play.

1. Pitt
2. Albany
3. U Mass
4. Rochester
5. Buffalo
6. Maine Med
7. U Conn
8. Baystate
:idea:

People, program, location, and academic opportunity drove my list.
PM me with any questions!!:D

1. Cinci
2. U of Michigan
3. Duke (moved up here after the new PD announcement...maybe will make it to #1?)
4. U of Maryland
5. Christiana
6. Drexel
7. MGH/BWH
8. Brown
9. Emory
10. ECU
11. Denver
12. Metrohealth
13. U Va
14. Jacobi Montefiore
15. U of Louisville

1. Indy
2. Cincy
3. Christ
4. U of Chi
5. Vandy
6. Emory
7. Northwestern

It basically came down to: how well I got along with the residents, proximity to current location, level of personal interest in interviews, and, truly, that "gut" feeling I got when I left. There were 2 that didn't even make the list because I would honestly rather scramble than end up at those programs. Yup, the "gut" felt that bad.... In addition, I found it amazing how many people I talked to at both the Cincy and Indy programs that said that they were in between those two programs for their 1 & 2. Indy won out for me but I definitely would not be upset if I ended up at Cincy! :thumbup:

1. Wake
2. Ohio State
3. Vandy
4. UNC
5. MCG
6. Palmetto
7. Scott & White
8. Houston

1. Maimonides Med Ctr
2. Morristown Mem Hosp
3. University at Buffalo
4. LSU SOM-New Orleans
5. U Florida Prog-Shands Hosp
6. York Hospital
7. University Hosps-Jackson
8. St Lukes-Bethlehem
9. Akron Gen Med/NEOUCOM
10. Geisinger Health System

1. Orlando
2. Eastern Virginia
3. Univ. of Maryland
4. Richmond
5. Christiana
6. Univ of Maryland EM-peds
7. Jefferson
8. ECU
9. USF

Best of Luck Everyone!!!

1. Temple
2. Penn
3. Drexel
4. Cooper
5. Christiana

I switched up the last four a bit after I found out that Stahmer wasn't going to be at Cooper anymore, but obviously still banking on philly area.

1. cincy
2. northwestern
3. highland
4. pitt
5. wake forest
6. denver
7. metro/case western
8. orlando
9. carolinas
10. unc
11. u chicago
12. ohio st
13. emory
14. ucla-harbor

did too many interviews and have been agonizing over how to rank for a long time. would be perfectly happy at my top 10. glad to finally be done. looks like getting in at cincy won't be all that easy!!! good luck to all :)

here we go boys and girls....best of luck to everyone

1) U of Chicago
2) Cook County
3) U of Michigan
4) U of Illinois
5) Indiana
6) Johns Hopkins
7) Wash U
8) U of Penn
9) Resurrection
10) Mt. Sinai
11) Drexel

I kept a semi review log going as I interviewed. It is more just my ramblings but maybe someone else can find some of my comments useful in the future. Some background on myself, I am a sub 200er on Step I and II. I go to the best school in Texas (they are all the best right?...just cause they are in Texas!) with a very average class rank and GPA. I was president of our EM club and spent more time than I should admit in the ED during MSI and II year. I probably ended up average at best because of being (sometimes) too involved with my families business and keeping a successful 600mile LD relationship. I certainly do not regret that; I enjoy my life outside of medicine and kept my student loans to near nothing.

1. UAMS – Arkansas: This was my next to last interview, and was number 5 after an 8 day stint on the trail. I was tired to say the least but livened up when I arrived in Little Rock. I felt at home once I got off the plane and was driving around. The landscape of the area was beautiful and the town appeared very clean and well taken care of. That evening I met with several of the residents and finally saw what they meant about ‘fitting in well' at a place. I felt comfortable with everyone I met on interview day and got the feeling that everyone was very happy. It is only 6.5 hours from home which is one more big plus. If possible, I would rank it #1, 2, and 3!!! I already have talked to a realtor on a home here that I have my fingers crossed stays available until after the match.

2. LSU- Shreveport: A new program that actually has not graduated a class yet (this will be their first graduating year). I however was impressed with everyone here. The residents were super nice and talkative and the faculty I talked with seemed very enthusiastic about the future of the program. I like the idea of being part of a ‘new program' and helping pave the way for the future. I hope to think my concerns and suggestions in such a program will be much more entertained than an old established program. I had a HUGE debate with myself however over the fact of having no moonlighting. My only hope is that by some chance that will change in the future. My mentors were also concerned about me ranking a new program so highly, but I am convinced things are very much in order for the future….

3. Wellspan – York, PA: I hit several places in the North, partly because I have some family up that way. I was really surprised by York. The town and facilities in general were older (typical Northeastern setting) but I found the residents and faculty here to be awesome! This place is private with nice budgets to make sure you are well taken care of. This was my first interview out on the real interview trail and looking back I was a bit nervous and wish I had done it a bit later. One way or another, York is about 3 hours from about 20 of my family members that live in PA; and 1.5 hours from BWI to make flights to Texas a breeze. I certainly would be happy going here!

4. Univ of Mississippi – Jackson, MS: I spent a month here; encouraged by one of the best EM Attendings I know who had trained here. My month was AWESOME! The program director had more energy and more positive things to say about Emergency Medicine that I think he could talk anyone into doing it! The ED was very busy but manageable and all the residents were cool and happy. I was skeptical about Jackson as a town, but found it actually was a great place to live. Super cheap and one whole side of it was VERY safe (tons of good food and shopping!) I knew straight up what I was getting in MS and knew I would be happy here. My only problem was the 2,3,4 format. I applied very late to ‘transitional years / IM prelim' and ended up with only one interview at my home place which I decided I did not want to stay at. Looking back, that was very poor planning on my part and my only regret of the year. MS does have 3 of the 10 spots open for PGY1s; If I match here I hope to get one, otherwise I will be scrambling for a prelim spot. I really wish they could get over to a 1-4 format; I think many good applicants over look this program simply because of the 2,3,4. This was my number one up until well into January when I interviewed at my #1 and #2.

5. LSU – Baton Rouge: This was one of the hardest decisions I made as far as this list goes. Common knowledge on here is that one of the training hospitals is sketchy (safety wise) and the residents know how to party. I can deal with either of that with no problem. Should mention I have a g/f and we are not big partiers, although there are some married folk here as well. What scares me is the recent doubling in size of the town with little infrastructure to take care of the influx and inflated costs of housing, all obviously due to Katrina. We want to buy another house and I feel like we will be paying a premium and 3 years later might end up losing a little. On the plus side: its warm climate, has that good LA Cajun food we love, and it's not terribly far from home.

6, 7, 8. MSU – Kalamazoo, MI; Synergy in Saginaw, MI; Sparrow in Lansing, MI: I put these all three together as one review, partly because all these programs appeared very similar to me. First off, being born and raised in Texas, the thought of 0 degree weather and loads of snow were unappealing to say the least. Program wise, I thought these three were one of the best I went to. They certainly are diamonds in the rough! The staff was awesome and many were important people in the EM world. All the towns had plenty to do with very affordable housing and none were too far from Detroit for big city life (Saginaw was the most rural of the three but made up for it with insanely cheap housing!). These end up so far down simply because of that gut feeling we hear so much about on here. If these were warmer, they very well could have been at the top…but the thoughts of shoveling snows… brrrrrr.

9. TTU – El Paso, TX: This was another that we debated pretty tough over and actually the only program/town we almost made a second look to. I had no issues with the program and found the residents we had lunch with to actually be the most talkative on the trail. I learned much in an hour lunch! What bothered me was that, as mentioned, we want a home out in the country. I work with a side business that needs a few acres and she has a horse. It unfortunately sounded like that might not be very practical in El Paso. What researching into housing we did online turned up little to no homes on some land. I was also a little worried about the Spanish thing, although being a Tech student in Lubbock, my friends assured me that it really was not a big deal and I would pick up Spanish in no time. I love Mexican food and will admit that my couple of days in town were my best dinners on the trail!

10. St Johns – Detroit, MI: Detroit was the big nix to this program. I applied broadly, even to big cities, yet I had no desire to go to a big city but figured I would do what I had to do if I had no other choices. I honestly only kept this interview because I was going to MI to the other 3 programs and I was able to schedule all together. With that said, I was actually much more impressed with this place than I was figuring I would be. The program director was hilarious and borderline inappropriate! It is hard to offend me, but I could see his attitudes turning some people off. He would certainly be a fun one to work with though. The hospital was on the north side of Detroit out of the ghetto, yet they received much of the inner-city trauma. That made it not as bad as it seemed that I could live far enough rural/north to lose that big city feel I am not fond of. Still, it was Detroit and it was cold. I was impressed enough with everything else to still rank it although it takes up the last slot in my list

Not Ranked: Geisinger in Danville, PA: The area/town fits although cold and snowy, but not as wintery as Michigan. What turned me off was the required flying. I get nervous on a commercial jet, not so sure that a helicopter is my cup of tea. I figure its something I can a do a few times if I have to, but 3 times a month for the next 3 years… no. I question how much that really adds to my education against the potential fatal costs. If flying is your thing, do not over look this place. The town is tiny and housing is cheap. It's in the middle of a hunter/fishers dreamland! Beautiful country…

Interviews Canceled:

LSU-New Orleans: I really hated to cancel this interview. It came down to partly because I was already pushing it on missed days on my rotation the month I was going and that I was unable to get it lined up with Baton Rouge. Airfare to/from was costly and so was the rent car. Lastly, it was ultra big city to me, on top of a city that has an uncertain future and lots of growing to do. We finally decided we just did not want to be part of that. The fact that Charity had such a great EM reputation made it tough…

St Lukes – Bethlehem, PA: They offered me a phone interview very late in the season. I declined it, partly because I was comfortable already with where I had interviewed and felt I would not be getting a proper evaluation of the program from the phone call. I figured it would be best to just not accept it so that my mind would not be clouded with how to rank it.

No Offer: My biggest let down of the season was Scott and White, Texas A&M (Temple, TX). I spent my first month of 4th year and my first official month in the ED here as an away rotation. I (thought) I busted my rear end while I was on this rotation, often coming 1-2 hours early to a shift and staying up to 4 hours late. I look back and wonder if I stuck around too much? I had more than one attending tell me I was one of the best students they have seen and they hoped I come here to train. I got the same kind of feedback from more than one resident. The program director wrote a SLOR for me, but looking back I was probably too nervous on my limited meeting with him and only worked a few hours with him one day….I figure if anything, that is what might have nixed me. Unfortunately, I get nervous when I get excited. I was more excited than ever getting to sit down and talk with a program director about EM and Scott and White and probably blew things on my PD meetings. In the end, it might have been for the best. My family was all rooting strongly for us to go there and I certainly knew I fit in here. In Lubbock, TX, it is common to wear your Red Wings to the OR or the ED. My first day on the job, I had on my boots and thought this is central Texas, I better not try to pull that off and get labeled as something. Much to my surprise, everyone had on their boots…. So I wore them everyday thereafter. Also learned that most everyone was married/family oriented which fit us and that my ford one ton would not be terribly out of place either. Obviously, a home in the country was easy and in fact I contacted a realtor and all while I was there. I certainly had the fit, but I might have not even considered any other program seriously had I interviewed here. Perhaps one day they will see me again with BE/BC looking for a staff position…

1. CWRU/MetroHealth
2. Eastern Virginia
3. Indiana
4. University of Virginia
5. UNC-Chapel Hill
6. Cincinnati
7. Henry Ford
8. Wake Forest
9. Ohio State
10. U. of Michigan
11. ECU
12. MUSC

1) Denver: (+): amazing program, amazing location, 4th years blew me away managing ED. (-): almost no elective time
2) Hennepin: (+): very surgery-based program, Pitbosses run the ED 3rd year, critical care emphasis. (-): Minnesota.
3) Highland: (+): autonomous training, great group of people, nice location, self-sufficient residents. (-): unsure about strength of off-service rotations.
4) MGH/BWH: (+): great city, great resources, phenomenal international health program. (-) young program, 1 million potential consultants to be called
5) New Mexico: (+): great program, super nice people, SICK patients, nice outdoor recreation nearby, critical care strong. (-): location seemed a little ghost-townish for me, issues with movement of pts through department & flow
6) UMichigan: (+): huge critical care, no medicine wards, diverse training sites. (-): not a huge fan of the location/weather, worried about the # of consultants that could be called.
7) Bellevue: (+): big time autonomy, self-sufficient residents, reputation. (-) I am a little intimidated about the idea of living in Manhattan .
8) Maine: (+): the most friendly people ever, location. (-) seemed a little cushy for me
9) BMC: (+): location, underserved patient population, lots of trauma. (-): 2-4, PGY2s do ALL procedures in dept.
10) OHSU: (+): location. (-): didn't gel with the people
11) UC Davis: (+): sick pts. (-): nothing really set them apart, location
12) UCSF Fresno: (+): Yosemite, nice people. (-): couldn't really see value of 4th year, living in Fresno.
13) Stanford: (+): Paul Auerbach, lots of resources, bay area. (-): pts not sick enough, a little too academically snooty for me
14) BIDMC: (+): location. (-): unfriendly, extremely academically snooty people
15) Indiana: (+): fantastic program. (-): location

Please note: the (+) and (-) are only my opinion. I'm sure there are several other people who had totally different experiences and therefore completely opposite opinions (which is why the match works!)

All I can say is good luck! I remember this last year and it was a great relief when it was all said and done.

I hope after they are all submitted, y'all get out to the golf course/ski hill/pool and get some R+R.

Maybe Radiohead and I will be seeing some of you next year!:thumbup:

Good luck!

well....there is about an hour left to go and i think it is safe to say that there are no more changes to be made.

1. Northwestern
2. U of Chicago
3. Christ
4. Indiana
5. MCW
6. U of Michigan
7. Pittsburgh
8. Cook County
9. Resurrection
10. Ohio State
11. Wash U
12. Case/Metro

in the end location was important to me, but i would be happy training at any of these places. good luck to everyone!!

Best of luck everyone!

1. University of Cincinnati - My favorite program obviously. It is the most well rounded program that I visited and had the best curriculum, despite being a 4 year program. No floor months with a focus on intensive care. The flight experience here is second to none with the average resident flying on 150 flights throughout the residency and a whopping 40% of them are scene responses. I think the flight experience is a one in a lifetime opportunity to develop quick thinking with limited resources all while not having an attending around. Unlike some other programs with a flight experience, the resident makes decisions, not the flight nurse. There are plenty of opportunities for US experience, top quality peds, hyperbarics, toxicology, stroke, research, tactical medicine, you name it, they have someone working on it. And there is plenty of time to get involved with 6.5 months of elective time. The volume at University Hospital is around 90k with lots of trauma and interesting medical emergencies. I rotated here so I have a great sense of the residents and the attendings, and I really enjoyed working with them. The senior residents seemed to be very knowledgeable and very confident with their skills and patient management. The PD is excellent and seems to be a true resident advocate, and the chairman is a very down to Earth guy who is also a true resident advocate. The cost of living and the program's reputation and quality in my opinion made this an easy choice.

2. Carolinas Medical Center - A great program, actually closer to being my #1 than some may think. Great people there. The residents seemed fun to work with, and the faculty I met including the PD were great. Excellent facilities, lots of research for a "community" program. They should probably be considered a county program because of the population they serve and their volume (114k), but they have top-notch ancillary staff and facilities. I struggled with 3 vs. 4 year obviously, but I felt that what stopped this from being #1 was lower than average amount of time in the ED, especially since it's a 3 year program. Good city, good cost of living. I'd be ecstatic if I match here, but I can only have one #1.

3. University of Pennsylvania - The big surprise for me on the interview trail. It has everything I wanted in a program and would have easily been my #1 if I didn't interview at the above 2 places. Great faculty, fun residents, good peds experience, above average facilities, lots of research, #2 NIH funded program. Great city, but more expensive than most others I visited, but still much cheaper than NY or Cali.

4. University of North Carolina - I loved the 50/50 mix of academics at UNC and strong community experience at Wake. They had the most ED time of all the 3 year programs. Excellent faculty, and even though Tintinalli is stepping down from the chair of the dept, she will be staying on to work shifts, do research, teach, and write papers and texts. Residents were great people too and were among the happiest I met on the trail.

5. Emory University - I really liked this program, and felt I would enjoy the autonomy the residents have. Grady seemed like an amazing place to learn EM. People great. My only concern was the large class size and not being able to get to know the other residents well. I didn't mind the hard work they let you know about up front.

6. University of Maryland – Another one that I loved. Great PD (maybe the best I met), nice facilities, Shock Trauma. Good curriculum. Peds experience seemed to be lacking a little. Baltimore isn't too great of a draw for me though.

7. University of Michigan – Cinci-lite. PD, chair, some faculty members all trained at Cinci. 4 years in many ways set up like Cinci, except for less elective time, and flight experience not being required. #1 NIH funded program, so lots of research too. I didn't like that the "inner city" was 45 minutes away in Flint. Also, the majority of the trauma experience is there since Ann Arbor isn't a hot bed for trauma. I really liked Ann Arbor though, and I really liked this program too.

8. Johns Hopkins University – Was once my #1, but fell dramatically after a second look. It was one of my earlier interviews and I think I was just impressed with the "name" of the program, but when I had a chance for a closer look, I wasn't that impressed at all. Still a good program with good people, and I'd love to be there if I match here, I just liked the other programs better in the end. Also in a bad part of Baltimore, but they've been working on improving that recently.

9. Washington University – Probably my second or third favorite program of all, but got the veto by my girlfriend because of the location. Excellent program and I was impressed as hell when I was there. Despite the veto power, I couldn't justify dropping it any lower than here.

10. Christiana Care – Great program too, that I really liked. Probably fell this low just because of location. Great facilities, great people too.

11. The George Washington University - Good program. I wasn't too impressed with the chair, but I liked the PD. My favorite city, but the most expensive city. Very high quality program, but the above are too!

12. University of South Florida – Does not deserve to be this low, but I did not want to be a USF "lifer" (med student here). I felt like I needed a change and it would be the best career decision for me professionally. Great people, soon to have nice facilities, research lacking, no community experience at all (not a big deal but good to have since 80% of jobs are in the community setting), but very good program with potential to become a great program.

13. Georgetown University/WHC – Great people, including the mighty Quinn. Facilities at WHC are not so great right now. Has the potential to become one of the better programs in the country in the future, I just liked other places more.

14. University of Massachusetts – Good program too, but not a big fan of Worcester, even with Boston nearby. Second best flight experience of all the places I visited though.

15. University of Florida & Shands Hospital Jacksonville – Good program, lots of autonomy, did a rotation here, great people. Don't want to stay in FL very much is all.

16. Orlando Regional Healthcare – Good program, and good faculty. Again, don't want to stay in FL.

17. Thomas Jefferson University – Liked the people and the city, but didn't like being spread out for different experiences. Deleware for peds, Jersey for trauma.

Last edited:
5 more minutes -- why am I so damned anxious -- gulp, gulp, gulp - :eek: Much better. I'm all in, just give me a minute to recover - then the list later. Strong list above; I'm impressed. GOOD LUCK to everyone...

1. Palmetto
2. Orlando
3. Louisville
4. Kentucky
5. Arkansas
6. MCG
7. ECU
8. EVMS
9. USF (Tampa)
10. UF (Gainesville)
11. Allegheny
12. Hershey/Penn State
13. York
14. Geisinger

I have reasons for all of them that I may or may not allow others to be privy to. If you must know PM me.

1. UC-Davis: Rotated here and had a great learning experience. Faculty were very down-to-earth and insisted on being on a first-name basis. Residents were very proactive in helping students and were fun to be around on a social level. Off-service rotations should be pretty solid as UCD is a full academic center. Sacramento is hit or miss for some; Proximity to family in the bay area drove me and my lady's decision to rank UCD #1 over Highland which was also in heavy consideration. Sac's cost-of-living over other Cali programs was a large factor as well.

2. Highland: Great program but only had an opportunity to observe in their ED. Residents were the most fun of all places I have been (except UCD!) and really got along well. Seemed the most family-like program based on the way they conduct conferences and interact with one another. Love the area and the patient population. Biggest uncertainty for me was UCSF's impact on the program as well as whether learning on off-service rotations would have been up to par with others.

3. Harbor/UCLA: May be the 'best' program with the best overall academic and social fit for me, but it is in LA. I'm not from Cali (am a Southern boy) and just am not sure that I could have been happy living in LA with a county salary and with all that traffic . . the beach was enticing though.

4. UT-Southwestern: Great PD and program. Residents were hard to read and didn't interact with applicants all that much during the social. I ranked UTSW here basically on location given that I felt it was a solid program to be trained at but maybe not the strongest of my list. I like Dallas--the cost of living and nightlife. Don't like the cowboys though.

5. Stanford: Liked Stanford a lot, but was worried about living in someone's garage in pricey Palo Alto. Also, the commute to four different hospitals worried me some. What worried me more was that almost every resident's main issue with the program was that there were not enough residents and that they felt overworked. I think that in ten years this program may be in the same breath with other well-reputed programs but they need to work out some kinks and establish themselves more among some of the other specialties at Stanford.

6. Orlando Regional Medical Center: Absolutely LOVED this program. From top to bottom everything was great. Future wife wasn't hot on the location bumping this program down quite a bit. Best 'perks' (not benefits) of all programs like a 30 minute break during a 12. Interns kept on talking about some apartment that 11/12 of them lived in and how they were ALWAYS going out. Sounded like Melrose place--agree with someone else's assessment on how hot the female residents were, but then I remembered I was getting married.

7. USC: I think the training at USC may have prepared me the most to be a competent EM out of all programs I was ranking, but I just can't do East LA or wherever it is in LA. Swadron is a bad@&$ and made me feel empowered to do a thoracotomy solo, but it's in East LA or wherever. Did I already say that?

8. UF-Jacksonville: Lots of autonomy. Residents seemed really tired. Don't know if that was from partying or from working their butts off. Either way, Jacksonville was aight as a city so bumped these guys down.

9. LSU-New Orleans: Love the faculty at this program. They are all down-to-Earth and are extremely driven in maintaining the strength of this program. Charity, although it will be missed, isn't at the heart of this program. They have a newly renovated ED which is quite nice. The lady vetoed putting this program in top four which is where I feel it belongs.

10. LSU-Baton Rouge: Best pre-interview social. Faculty were nice but couldn't get a good read on the residents. They kept on selling moonlighting as an advantage to the program, not sure how I felt about that. Off-service rotations didn't seem very strong either.

11. UT-Houston: Not much overwhelmingly-positive to say. Not best fit, but will get trained.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions and best of luck to everyone!!

1) Cook County
2) U of Michigan
3) Henry Ford
4) Metrohealth
5) New York Methodist
6) St Luke's/Roosevelt
7) Kalamazoo
8) Beaumont
9) St Vincent's
10) Akron Summa
11) Akron General
12) Grand Rapids

I'm a midwesterner, what can I say :)

I just checked the rank page, and I can't make changes anymore. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Now I can enjoy the UNC/NCSU game. GO HEELS!!!

I am couples matching, so my list is based on compromise.

1. Indy
2. Summa
3. MCG
4. Palmetto
5. Nebraska
6. MetroHealth
7. UMKC
8. Akron General

I would be happy to train at all that I ranked.

I just checked the rank page, and I can't make changes anymore. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Now I can enjoy the UNC/NCSU game. GO HEELS!!!

Since you can't make changes, why did you not post your ROL? :p

1. St. Vincent's - Toledo (this was a suprise for me - even worth leaving sunny florida!)
2. UF - Gainesville (is a great program and will get better and better - has everything but moonlighting)
3. Emory - Atlanta (unaffordable housing but amazingly good training, very difficult environment at Grady, residents don't know eachother well even within classes)
4. USF - Tampa (unaffordable housing, great training, amazing new ED)
5. Arkansas (good training but very isolated, great PD)
6. Palmetto -Columbia (great PD, didn't really like the pods and seemed like 12 hr shifts didn't reduce the total number of shifts, strong program though)
7. Las Vegas (very cool program, has it's own trauma center in a different building, but spouse couldn't find job opportunities there or it would be in the top 3)
8. Akron General (originally was my #1, nice PD though)
9. York (excellent PD, seems like it would be good training just wrong location)
10. St. Lukes - Bethlehem -(comments for after match)

I'll be happy anywhere though!

My man's ROL (he said I could post it), were couple's matching, so it's a compromise.

1) UNC
2) U Mich
3) Univ of Rochester
4) Drexel
5) Albany
6) Cooper
7) Temple
8) Mayo

too much wine right now too!
1. UMaryland
2. George Washington U
3. Emory
4. Orlando
5. Jacksonville
6. Mount Sinai NY
7. Jacobi
8. Christiana
9. EVMS
10. Denver
11. UMaryland EM/Peds
12. Georgetown
13. Drexel
14. Indiana
15. Indiana EM/Peds
16. Beth Israel Deaconess -Boston
17. MCG

Some notes: Best programs were probably Indiana and Denver, but the old lady is very against these locations. Darn shame. The big news for me is that in the last week I decided against the combined Peds/EM programs. Just realized that I was too unsure about the Peds part to get into them. I know I love EM and that is enough for now. MCG is a great program, but I have lived in Augusta for 4 years now...that is enough having grown up in ATL. The rest ended up being a lot to do with location compromised with gut feel. I can be happy at any of them though. peace.:smuggrin:

1) Christ :D :D
2) Denver
3) MCW
4) Indy
5) Harbor-UCLA
6) Iowa
7) Hennepin
8) Cook C.
9) Northwestern
10) Bellevue

Good luck everyone, and thanks to everyone who wrote the great reviews.

what an awesome username!

1 U Florida HSC-Jacksonville
2 Eastern VA Med School-VA
3 Med Coll Georgia-Augusta
4 Medical University of SC
5 University Hosp-Cincinnati-OH
6 Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC
7 West Virginia University SOM
8 U Florida Prog-Shands Hosp
9 Pitt County Mem Hosp/Brody SOM-NC
10 U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham
11 U Kentucky Med Ctr
12 U Florida HSC-Jacksonville
13 U Florida Prog-Shands Hosp

1. Hopkins
2. Duke
3. UF Jax
4. USF Tampa
5. UNC
6. Maimo
7. SUNY Downstate-Brooklyn
8. Brooklyn Hospital
9. LSU-NO

1) Palmetto
2) UMKC
3) Louisville
4) Iowa
5) Duke
6) Arkansas
7) Allegheny
8) UF-Shands
9) Ohio State

Here we go:

1. Univ. of Illinois-Peoria-Better than #2 because of the people
2. Univ. of Mississippi-I love the South.
3. York Hospital-Good program near my undergrad buddies
4. LSU-Shreveport-Nice town and above average attending's but wasn't crazy about PD
5. St. Vincent's-my wife wasn't crazy about Toledo but really liked the program
6. Albany-great PD but I am not sure I will fit in with the residents. Good program.
7. Univ. of Wisconsin-Too cold but could do it if I had too.
8. Geisenger-disappointing interview but still could be happy there.

Good luck to all and look forward to meeting my fellow residents.

1. Metrohealth/CWRU
2. Cinci
3. Pitt
4. Carolinas
5. Maryland
6. Ohio State
7. UNC

I go to a middle of the road school at best with a very average class rank and GPA.

…

There are no middle of the road med schools in Texas. They all rock. :D