COMLEX 3 before internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annushka

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm somewhat off-track, I graduated in December but my internship will only start in July. I just received my contract in the mail, I'm about to sign it.

Several friends have suggested that I take step 3 BEFORE starting my internship in July; that is, somewhere in the next 2-3 months. I called up NBOME and apparently it's legit if I have a signed contract.

So I'm wondering: does it make sense to do that? Or should I take it in my internship year like everybody else? I'm a little worried that I don't have enough clinical experience for this exam, and I'll be doing the rotating internship anyhow so perhaps it's more to my benefit to wait...

The other issue is, I have to take the exam before the beginning of April (for personal reasons), so will I have enough time to study?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm somewhat off-track, I graduated in December but my internship will only start in July. I just received my contract in the mail, I'm about to sign it.

Several friends have suggested that I take step 3 BEFORE starting my internship in July; that is, somewhere in the next 2-3 months. I called up NBOME and apparently it's legit if I have a signed contract.

So I'm wondering: does it make sense to do that? Or should I take it in my internship year like everybody else? I'm a little worried that I don't have enough clinical experience for this exam, and I'll be doing the rotating internship anyhow so perhaps it's more to my benefit to wait...

The other issue is, I have to take the exam before the beginning of April (for personal reasons), so will I have enough time to study?

Thanks!!!

I would consider taking it early. I took it 3 months into my intern year and did fine, so I did not have extensive clinical experience. The exam is very similar to step 2. Make sure you study for it...take the exam seriously.

Wook

The new NBOME rule is that you can sit for it once you graduate from medical school. I am in a similar situation as you and I took it last month. Glad I got it out of the way and I did really well (info was fresh and similar to step 2). Go for it. One less thing to worry about.

- K