how hard to get pain fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to this forum, I will be starting Neurology resident in July 2007, I'm from a DO school, my question is how hard to get pain fellowship after neuro resident? I'm talking about anaesthesia fellowship. Your input highly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It will be difficult but nothing is impossible. Find out programs that are friendly to neurologists and network, network, network. Go to conferences where you can meet people from all over. Some pain publications wouldn't hurt either.

Members don't see this ad :)
volunteer in your own school/program to show your committment

T

If your residency director will allow it do either a rotation at your institution's pain clinic or an outside rotation at the place you'd like to train. That accomplishes two things. It shows them how serious you are about pain as a career, and it also gives you a chance to show them how smart, hard-working, etc you are.

Even if you do the rotation at your parent institution and want to go elsewhere you will at least have made the acquaintance of the pain attendings. They can write you a good letter based on personal observation or even pick up the phone and call someone at your target program and put in a good word.

Get as many pain rotations and experiences as possible. Make sure you get some good procedure proctoring and letters from individuals who have watched you do procedures. Emphasize your strengths (exam skills, polyneuropathies, EMG, etc). Do an anesthesia elective as a resident!

If your residency director will allow it do either a rotation at your institution's pain clinic or an outside rotation at the place you'd like to train. That accomplishes two things. It shows them how serious you are about pain as a career, and it also gives you a chance to show them how smart, hard-working, etc you are.

Even if you do the rotation at your parent institution and want to go elsewhere you will at least have made the acquaintance of the pain attendings. They can write you a good letter based on personal observation or even pick up the phone and call someone at your target program and put in a good word.

This is excellent advice. Our pain program usually takes 1 PM&R resident each year and they have always rotated through for a month during residency.

The program here also usually takes at least one physiatry resident annually. Lately there has been so much internal interest that the program has had a lot of quality applicants from within. My theory on the future of availability of pain fellowships is that as the number of programs contracts (due to the inability/unwillingness to meet the new ACGME requirements) positions will become more scarce and competitive. In this new environment, anesthesia applicants will certainly have the inside track. Truly excellent physiatry applicants will also have some opportunities although many might return to non-accredited PASSOR-type fellowships. Neurology and pyschiatry residents will face a much tougher road primarily due to lack of exposure to the fellowships. Certainly the fellowships that have historically considered non-anesthesia applicants will continue to do so, but I feel that the new requirements actually will make it more difficult for everyone but anesthesia. With regards to IM, FP, etc. I am not sure what program will truly consider these applicants and honestly I am not certain they should be considered particularly at the expense of good anesthesia or physiatry applicants.

The advice previously posted on this thread is very accurate. Good LORs, Some research (abstracts, publications), leadership (chief, national organizations), solid in-training/SAE scores, reasonable USMLE scores, reputation of your training institution are all factors that various programs consider. Rotating within your home institition's pain program is of utmost importance as it might land you a position or generate a very strong letter on your behalf. In the end optimizing this combination of factors might be a key to obtaining a fellowship position.

I FULLY agree with Mehul, *especially* the first paragraph. I suspect the new ACGME rules were initiated to shrink the number of pain fellowships out there over time.

Similar to Mehul's program, my fellowship did not interview any outside candidates due to very strong internal interest. I believe 7 of our graduating senior anesthesiology class have secured ACGME pain fellowships! Crazy!

4 of the 6 University of Michigan PM&R seniors secured ACGME pain fellowships. Of those that accepted, one fellowship was PM&R based and two Anesthesiology based. One of the seniors was offered a PM&R as well as an Anesthesiology based fellowship, but turned both down to go into private practice! Interestingly, none of them wanted to stay at the UofM next year for pain fellowship.

The program here also usually takes at least one physiatry resident annually. Lately there has been so much internal interest that the program has had a lot of quality applicants from within. My theory on the future of availability of pain fellowships is that as the number of programs contracts (due to the inability/unwillingness to meet the new ACGME requirements) positions will become more scarce and competitive. In this new environment, anesthesia applicants will certainly have the inside track. Truly excellent physiatry applicants will also have some opportunities although many might return to non-accredited PASSOR-type fellowships. Neurology and pyschiatry residents will face a much tougher road primarily due to lack of exposure to the fellowships. Certainly the fellowships that have historically considered non-anesthesia applicants will continue to do so, but I feel that the new requirements actually will make it more difficult for everyone but anesthesia. With regards to IM, FP, etc. I am not sure what program will truly consider these applicants and honestly I am not certain they should be considered particularly at the expense of good anesthesia or physiatry applicants.

The advice previously posted on this thread is very accurate. Good LORs, Some research (abstracts, publications), leadership (chief, national organizations), solid in-training/SAE scores, reasonable USMLE scores, reputation of your training institution are all factors that various programs consider. Rotating within your home institition's pain program is of utmost importance as it might land you a position or generate a very strong letter on your behalf. In the end optimizing this combination of factors might be a key to obtaining a fellowship position.

At GTUH/NRH last year all three graduates secured ACGME-pain fellowships, I took an anesthesia pain fellowship, the other two accepted pm&r pain positions (one stayed at the NRH position).

A combination of a declining number of pain fellowships and an expanded applicant pool...OUCH! And I thought it was competitive when I applied. :)

I know its getting harder to get accredited pain fellowships every year from PM and R residents.
I am curious to know wheter most of the residents end up in taking some fellowships either accredited or not .
Is there any one who waited for one year to get in to an accredited fellowship.
my understanding now is that if you want spine fellowship inrrespective of location or number of procedures done, you will get it. I may be wrong.
Any views please.

This is excellent advice. Our pain program usually takes 1 PM&R resident each year and they have always rotated through for a month during residency.
which program are you at?? why is it a pre-req that someone has a rotation??

It is getting harder but not impossible. Most people end up landing one. As for spine fellowships, you are correct - there are many good ones out there, and I anticipate that the number will grow even further.