COMLEX III tomorrow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine's tomorrow too. I cannot study. I've been reading savarese and want to stab my eye out. :mad:

I have a bunch of friends taking it today, maybe later I'll come on and let you know what they said.

edit: do you have any idea how this thing is scored? I know you need a 350 to pass, max score is 800, mean is 500....if I'm scoring >50% on qbank is that good?

goodluck.

My friend said she was done at 1pm today. She basically plowed through and didn't take a lunch break. Said that basically, as per usual, the comlex questions are not reflective of anything you'd see on qbank, they're short, 3-liners, just like part 2. She said the OMT was a joke, not hard at all, etc etc. So basically if you've been doing an internship where you've had medicine shoved down your throat all year ad naseum, like we have, you'll be fine...

We studied using those dr. simmons cram pages for OMT, and that seems to work good. She said there was like "what is the best treatment for this pt. postop"-type questions where like 4 of the options were HVLA and one was myofascial release, kind of obvious (?) things.

She said there were a lot of peds rashes and they wanted you to pick the treatment (abx vs steroids, etc). And the usual ob q's with bleeding during pregnancy, etc.

Doesn't sound too bad, but there's always the exception, and I hope I'm not it.

Members don't see this ad :)
This was okay, actually. The least stress-inducing of all the Steps and the one that I pretty much knew the answer or didnt, there was little hemming/hawing. I got done at 1230, so thats a little bit quicker than I usually test, but I felt like I could answer the questions, review once and move on.

Tip: if someone has an acute fracture, the treatment modality of choice is NEVER to apply "HV/LA to the affected region three times daily" :laugh:

i think >50% is good enough, but what do i know

I'm having a hard time getting up for this test & scheduled for next week. I have read through First Aid and Crush once each and have been answering q's from NMS and Kaplan test books (didn't spend the money on test bank). I also am getting >50% on those q's which are not of the 2-3 sentence variety mentioned by other posters. Think this will be okay to pass? I really don't care what score I get as long as I don't have to repeat the darned thing! Opinions?

I'm having a hard time getting up for this test & scheduled for next week. I have read through First Aid and Crush once each and have been answering q's from NMS and Kaplan test books (didn't spend the money on test bank). I also am getting >50% on those q's which are not of the 2-3 sentence variety mentioned by other posters. Think this will be okay to pass? I really don't care what score I get as long as I don't have to repeat the darned thing! Opinions?

I was scoring around 50-60% on NMS, and I got an 85 on comlex III. just a way to gauge your scores.

I take this thing on Tuesday and so far I'm at 59 percent on qbank after completing 2/3 of it. I will probably end up doing 80 percent of the questions. The problem is my motivation died about a week ago :sleep: and I do worse on the COMLEX style short questions. Any source of last minute cramming you guys can help me with? Lookin for a good source of buzz words, which seem to be key on comlex. I'm takin the 200 question practice test today from nbome. I'll keep you guys posted....

I take this thing on Tuesday and so far I'm at 59 percent on qbank after completing 2/3 of it. I will probably end up doing 80 percent of the questions. The problem is my motivation died about a week ago :sleep: and I do worse on the COMLEX style short questions. Any source of last minute cramming you guys can help me with? Lookin for a good source of buzz words, which seem to be key on comlex. I'm takin the 200 question practice test today from nbome. I'll keep you guys posted....

Take it tomorrow. Got 70 percent on the nbome questions (the 200 question 8 dollar test - this was without cramming omt yet) and finished at 60 percent on qbank questions. We'll see how it goes. Cramming some omt tonight! :hardy:

Take it tomorrow. Got 70 percent on the nbome questions (the 200 question 8 dollar test - this was without cramming omt yet) and finished at 60 percent on qbank questions. We'll see how it goes. Cramming some omt tonight! :hardy:

I too got a 70% on the nbome test, you should be fine, nothing much to cram except the table on viscersomatic reflexes.

Tomorrow is the day for me. I'm totally sick of this and hope to get by ok cuz I've had zero motivation for this test. I also tend to do better on the nms stuff which usually gives a decent amount of info than on the 2-3 sentence things we'va all seen before.

So is it better energy wise and concentration wise to just plow through the thng non stop or bette to take the lunch break?

Took your advice. I basically just plowed through it. Took 5 minute breaks every 100 questions and about 15 minutes to stretch and get a lunch snack, but with all that was through by 1:30. Didn't think it all that difficult, there were a few WTF questions and some OMM that I just didn't remember. Guess I'll find out in about a month! I'll just be happy to be finished with this test forever!

I'm waiting until at least july, since my hospital has decided to start paying for the test after that time :)

That's that much money I don't have to fork over.

Took it on Tuesday. Same crappy question stems. A lot of questions where you're wondering where the right answer is and many where it seems more than one answer applies. Either way I'm glad its done. I have no clue how I did but as long as I pass I could care less.
Unlike others I actually took a full hour on lunch - took away from some of my time in the afternoon, but was nice to relax and get a good meal. In discussing with others it seems that one of the 50 question blocks is experimental. Good luck figuring out which one. Overall I think it might have been written a little better than step 2. :idea: I know that's not saying much. Time to begin the long, arduous process of flushing this knowledge. :smuggrin:

Thank goodness it's over, passed it and can now forget this whole thing. Thanks for all advice!