Podiatrist daily routine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrePoddy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new on this board. I am going to shadow two seperate private practice podiatrists next week. My question is what should I expect to see in their daily routine?

I know what it's like going to a family physician (you get your vitals checked and then go into the doctors office to discuss problems). I know that in an optometry office you come in and have preliminary eye checkup by an assistant and then meet with the optometrist who checks you out further. But all of this is from personal experience as a patient.

I've never experienced a podiatry office before and was wondering what is routinely done with patients as they come in for appointmets. What are the most common procedures performed? I'm interested in podiatry from discussion with friends and am excited to finally be able to shadow a few doctors and make my final decision on whether I'll be applying this fall. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I think you answered your own question. You'll find out when you shadow. Good luck. When I shadowed, I knew after the 1st day that Podiatry was for me. I hope you have a similar experience.

I agree that shadowing is the best way to learn. You

Podiatry is already a specialty, so most practicing DPMs will take on a lot of nail and foot care, heel and foot pain, padding and orthotics, and then supplement that with a bit of surgery from time to time when conventional therapy fails to sufficiently help their patients' ailments. Those are the most common complaints and what ultimately pays the bills.

A DPM's daily practice depends largely on what their residency training focused on, what kind of cases they are most experienced with, and just what kind of patients are in their area and in need of help, though. If you go to a big city where there are enough patients that sub-specialties within podiatry are viable, you may see some well trained DPMs who do a majority of their work in one arena: surgical podiatry, diabetic wound care and limb salvage, gait analysis and foot orthoses, podiatric radiology, etc.