Fellowships in 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paindoc1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what will happen to the existing fellowships that are not "multidisciplinary"? The new ACGME guidelines requires programs to include training from all 4 disciplines (psych,neuro,anesthesia,pmr).
Does anyone think that some programs will loose their accreditation in July of this year or will they have to comply by 2008?

Members don't see this ad.

Curious myself, when does the new ACGME guidelines go into effect???

In less than 2 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what will happen to the existing fellowships that are not "multidisciplinary"? The new ACGME guidelines requires programs to include training from all 4 disciplines (psych,neuro,anesthesia,pmr).
Does anyone think that some programs will loose their accreditation in July of this year or will they have to comply by 2008?

I don't think anyone quite knows EXACTLY, however it seems the genral hypothesis is just as you sugested.... its likely that many will drop their accreditation making even less "accredited programs" and with more and more applicants now that its open to all essentially makes for stiff competetion. Ofcourse all hypothesis at this point.

My pain fellowship director has mentioned that approximately 30 fellowship programs will either be closing or losing their acgme accreditation with this change. I don't know if those are anesthesiology-run pain fellowships or PM&R/Neuro/Psych, etc.
For those interested in going into pain there is going to be a huge increase in the number of applicants for fellowship (family medicine, IM, etc) in the setting of a decline in the number of accredited spots. Should make life interesting....
Also, there is discussion of the fellowship increasing to 18-24 months but that won't be for a couple of years...