Nontrads who just finished MS1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY Musicologist

Career Changer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Calling all nontrads who just finished MS1: please report on the year! Best moment? Worst moment? Has it been what you expected, or have there been surprises (good or bad)? Still glad you took the plunge? How do you plan to recharge this summer?

Congrats to all of you! One down, three more to go... :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm. Well, I had some outside school things that I'm frankly amazed didn't send me into either alcoholism, drug addiction, suicide, or at the very least divorce. Let's just say first year sucked steamy cow patties for my "stable life" outside school. The upside is my kids and husband have always been and still are outrageously supportive of me and love me at least as much as I love them. *whew*. :)

Ok. School related stuff. Anatomy was AWESOME!!!!!!! Biochem class was not well done. But by far the hardest was bacT. Good lord, I thought bacT was going to own my soul. Heck, I woulda' sold my soul for some bacT intelligence... stuff seemed to leak out faster than I could read.

Has it been what I expected. I wasn't sure WHAT to expect, but I really couldn't comprehend of the sheer volume of information we were expected to process in such a short period of time. This from a person who took 21 credits of math, chemistry, and physics every semester of undergrad for 3 years straight. And very little else. That was kindergarten in comparison.

Surprises. Good: you'd be astonished how fast you acclimate to assimilating huge volumes of information. It really hit home when I was sitting at home listening to lectures at 2.5 speed. And it was just about right. I had to catch myself from telling my kids and husband to "get to the point already" halfway through their first sentence. Also good: how well my classmates all worked together, sharing notes, helping each other. It was really wonderful. Bad: I was appalled at how very juvenile students can be at times. My 9yo son behaved better sometimes. And how very selfish some students can be.

Still glad? HECK YES. I made it through MSI. Without any retakes on exams. While spending time with my family and only studying after 10pm. Without going nuts. I'm very glad I did it. I'd do it again (especially for anatomy class).

Recharging? We're building an addition to the house. Sleeping. A BIG addition. Ourselves. Sleeping. Swingin' hammers, pounding nails. Sleeping. Painting the inside of the existing house. Sleeping. Cooking. SLEEPING. Did I mention sleeping???

Calling all nontrads who just finished MS1: please report on the year! Best moment? Worst moment? Has it been what you expected, or have there been surprises (good or bad)? Still glad you took the plunge? How do you plan to recharge this summer?

Best moment: Being told I was promoted to second year. Not that I was worried I wouldn't be, but you know, until you get the official word.... :D

Worst moment: hmm, not so much one worst moment. It's hard for me to answer a question like this, because I'm the kind of person who manages to find nearly every bad situation kind of funny the more I think about it. :p Maybe just the stress of the end of the year stuff?

I'd say it has been more or less what I expected, except that it's been both harder and better than I expected. I've spent the past year feeling more tired than I have ever been in my entire life. I don't know if it's the hours or the studying or what, but geez, I sure am not up to pulling all-nighters or going partying with my younger classmates. ;)

Surprises: Hmm, I loved anatomy and hated histology. I'm now able to take people's blood pressure, and I can even muddle through a history and physical. Toward the end of the year I was starting to feel like maybe they were going to make a doctor out of me yet....

Yes, I'm still glad I went. I feel like overall I would have enjoyed going to pharmacy school more than medical school, but the MD degree will be more flexible and useful to me in the long run. I'm keeping my eyes on the prize.

Recharging: I spent the first week of my break doing absolutely nothing. I didn't get dressed, didn't go anywhere. Now I'm more or less back to normal and doing a little summer research.

Best of luck to all of the rising M1s. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Best moment: Being told I was promoted to second year. Not that I was worried I wouldn't be, but you know, until you get the official word.... :D

Worst moment: hmm, not so much one worst moment. It's hard for me to answer a question like this, because I'm the kind of person who manages to find nearly every bad situation kind of funny the more I think about it. :p Maybe just the stress of the end of the year stuff?

I'd say it has been more or less what I expected, except that it's been both harder and better than I expected. I've spent the past year feeling more tired than I have ever been in my entire life. I don't know if it's the hours or the studying or what, but geez, I sure am not up to pulling all-nighters or going partying with my younger classmates. ;)

Surprises: Hmm, I loved anatomy and hated histology. I'm now able to take people's blood pressure, and I can even muddle through a history and physical. Toward the end of the year I was starting to feel like maybe they were going to make a doctor out of me yet....

Yes, I'm still glad I went. I feel like overall I would have enjoyed going to pharmacy school more than medical school, but the MD degree will be more flexible and useful to me in the long run. I'm keeping my eyes on the prize.

Recharging: I spent the first week of my break doing absolutely nothing. I didn't get dressed, didn't go anywhere. Now I'm more or less back to normal and doing a little summer research.

Best of luck to all of the rising M1s. :)

Q,
what did you hate about histology? I am a not a histologist by training but my research requires me to do a lot of histology work. I would love to know what to expect.

Can you guys share what schools you are at? Would love to associate a school environment with your perspectives, but I understand if you don't want to...

Best Moment: Realizing that passing on an exam meant 70%, which was achievable even if I spent the weekend before the exam with my step-son instead of condemning myself to a weekend in the library. And realizing that I just don't care anymore about the grade I get as long as I pass and I feel comfortable that I know the information.

Worst Moment: Feeling uncomfortable and wrong in some situations, like having to do physical exams on patients that didn't really want to be examined, just for the sake of my learning and with no benefit to the patient at all.

Surprises: How different I feel now being in medical school compared to how I imagine myself if I had been 22. I don't socialize much with the younger students, not that they aren't good people, but just after some of the things I've heard them say, I was not interested. I was surprised how I instantly gravitated towards the older married students.

I am definitely glad I did the MD. I love what we are learning and I love the interaction with patients. I would have missed out on all of this had I done the PhD only route.

Plans for recharging, I went to Tahoe this week with husband and step-son, laid on the beach, went kayaking, and watched movies. I start working in the lab on Monday, but I'll be taking an art class this summer and starting playing in a soccer league again, so I'm definitely looking forward to doing these outside activities.

Best Moment: Realizing that passing on an exam meant 70%, which was achievable even if I spent the weekend before the exam with my step-son instead of condemning myself to a weekend in the library. And realizing that I just don't care anymore about the grade I get as long as I pass and I feel comfortable that I know the information.

Worst Moment: Feeling uncomfortable and wrong in some situations, like having to do physical exams on patients that didn't really want to be examined, just for the sake of my learning and with no benefit to the patient at all.

Surprises: How different I feel now being in medical school compared to how I imagine myself if I had been 22. I don't socialize much with the younger students, not that they aren't good people, but just after some of the things I've heard them say, I was not interested. I was surprised how I instantly gravitated towards the older married students.

I am definitely glad I did the MD. I love what we are learning and I love the interaction with patients. I would have missed out on all of this had I done the PhD only route.

Plans for recharging, I went to Tahoe this week with husband and step-son, laid on the beach, went kayaking, and watched movies. I start working in the lab on Monday, but I'll be taking an art class this summer and starting playing in a soccer league again, so I'm definitely looking forward to doing these outside activities.

wow...do the trad and non-trad students really not rub elbows well together? i know the interaction must vary from school to school but as I read your blog, i started thinking how crazy it is for some med students to be so insensitive. One would imagine that if a person would be going into medicine to deal with patients from ALL backgrounds, they would have some decent social skills as a working foundation.

wow...do the trad and non-trad students really not rub elbows well together? i know the interaction must vary from school to school but as I read your blog, i started thinking how crazy it is for some med students to be so insensitive. One would imagine that if a person would be going into medicine to deal with patients from ALL backgrounds, they would have some decent social skills as a working foundation.

eh-hem!! a muffled laugh just escaped the corners of my lips. sorry, but i'm just being honest in my reply. while i'm sure that the majority of young, traditional students will make great doctors (and more importantly, great people), i think their future careers have little to do with their current place in life. a 23 yr.old with no spouse, kids or major life experience is truly unable, and more likely unwilling, to relate to someone with all those things. i think the biggest difference is having or not having kids. i mean, think about it, they're still someone's kids. we are all conditioned to respect parents (our parents, other people's parents), but before we are parents we naturally separate ourselves from these figures of authority. i think that the more open 23 yr.old will even befriend an older, non-trad outside of school, but only if they don't have kids, simply for the fact that having a child limits your ability to socially interact- to get out of the house. currently, i'm a 27 yr. old post-bacc (finishing up in three weeks, MCAT in august) with a 2 yr. old. believe me, before we had our child we were the life of the party. things change. maturity sets in. i expect when (fingers crossed) i'm in my first year at the age of 28, i'll naturally gravitate towards the non-trad students with kids. it makes sense.

It can be difficult for traditional students to understand that many nontrads have children, spouses, other things in life besides school. We don't tend to go to the bar after an exam. We don't go to parties. Our study time is more limited. Grocery shopping is not an optional event. Good food is mandatory. And if there's a sick child in the house, well, studying takes a back seat.

These are things trads tend to not understand, and thus when the nontrads are talking about child issues (whether behavioral, health, school, extra-curricular, etc.), the younger students have no frame of reference and leave. Likewise, many nontrads really have nothing to contribute to the angst of dating, who's "hookin' up" with who, hangovers, all-nighters, and changing schedules on a whim (OH! if it's ok with you guys, can our study group meet now rather than at 7 tonight and then we can all go hear the band that's playing at this really awesome bar! --- yeah. This happens. No, I can't change my plans like that. My kid has a doctor's appointment I need to take him to that I scheduled around our class schedule. Needless to say, I've been gently 'disengaged' from many a study group.) There are trads who are more grounded, with more of a "schedule" like the non-trads. These are the ones that tend to gravitate to the nontrad students.

Not to say we just don't get along -- we do. We're just at different points in our lives right now. And if you get them to speak frankly, both sides are a bit jealous at times. Many nontrads wish (sometimes) they had some of the freedom to study more, sleep more, eat crappy food whenever they want. And I've had almost every traditional student tell me they're jealous of my home life. As in I have a life outside of med school that is specifically NOT medical school. And the few that have come over to ask questions about something they're having trouble with think I'm frankly insane for talking physiology while making dinner, setting the table, settling fights between children, picking up the living room, and making sure the laundry was getting done (yes, it's possible to study while not stopping to sit down).

So it's not so much social skills (with a few exceptions, both sides have pretty good social skills) as a difference is lifestyle that's the issue. Make sense?

Q,
what did you hate about histology? I am a not a histologist by training but my research requires me to do a lot of histology work. I would love to know what to expect.
Two reasons: 1) it's boring, and 2) all of the f***ing cells look the same to me. :smuggrin: Ok, not the adipose cells; I can always identify those. And interestingly, the heme part wasn't so bad either, because even all the zillion types of white blood cells stain differently with all their different granules. But seriously, my response half the time on histo questions was something to the effect of, "assuming that this thingie the arrow might kind of be pointing to is not just a smudge or artifact, it appears to be a cell of some sort...."

glamqueen said:
Can you guys share what schools you are at? Would love to associate a school environment with your perspectives, but I understand if you don't want to...
Sorry, but I don't ever post where I go to school. I don't think the info would really be all that helpful to you anyway, in the sense that individual experiences vary so much based on all kinds of personal things. For example, factors like your background training, what other things you have going on in your life while you're in school (ex. family), your personal tastes in studying and subject matter, etc. can affect your experience tremendously. I mean, if Shy and I were classmates, my experience as a single person with no family and a chemistry background would be very different than hers is going through the same thing with two kids and a background as a paramedic. Actually, that brings up a good point: if you're going to study with someone else, pick someone who has different strengths and weaknesses than you do. :)

Back to the original topic. . .

Shy Rem, would you mind me asking how many kids you have and what their ages are? I'm asking because I'm trying to gauge what it's going to be like to be in medical school while a child goes from 3 - 7. Am I going to miss her youth? More questions. . . Do you feel like, especially as a mother, that you have enough time for your kids and family? When you say you start studying at 10, does this mean all-nighters every other night, or generally until about 1 in the morning every night? How many hours a day do you spend in class?
I realize first and foremost that in medical school I'm going to have to let go of the need to get an A in every class, but I'm wondering if you feel like getting a C is manageable every time, or if you're pulling with a life outside school just to get that.

Any feedback would be great. Nervous about that first year with child, and the overall investment in medical school with a family.

It can be difficult for traditional students to understand that many nontrads have children, spouses, other things in life besides school. We don't tend to go to the bar after an exam. We don't go to parties. Our study time is more limited. Grocery shopping is not an optional event. Good food is mandatory. And if there's a sick child in the house, well, studying takes a back seat.

These are things trads tend to not understand, and thus when the nontrads are talking about child issues (whether behavioral, health, school, extra-curricular, etc.), the younger students have no frame of reference and leave. Likewise, many nontrads really have nothing to contribute to the angst of dating, who's "hookin' up" with who, hangovers, all-nighters, and changing schedules on a whim (OH! if it's ok with you guys, can our study group meet now rather than at 7 tonight and then we can all go hear the band that's playing at this really awesome bar! --- yeah. This happens. No, I can't change my plans like that. My kid has a doctor's appointment I need to take him to that I scheduled around our class schedule. Needless to say, I've been gently 'disengaged' from many a study group.) There are trads who are more grounded, with more of a "schedule" like the non-trads. These are the ones that tend to gravitate to the nontrad students.

Not to say we just don't get along -- we do. We're just at different points in our lives right now. And if you get them to speak frankly, both sides are a bit jealous at times. Many nontrads wish (sometimes) they had some of the freedom to study more, sleep more, eat crappy food whenever they want. And I've had almost every traditional student tell me they're jealous of my home life. As in I have a life outside of med school that is specifically NOT medical school. And the few that have come over to ask questions about something they're having trouble with think I'm frankly insane for talking physiology while making dinner, setting the table, settling fights between children, picking up the living room, and making sure the laundry was getting done (yes, it's possible to study while not stopping to sit down).

So it's not so much social skills (with a few exceptions, both sides have pretty good social skills) as a difference is lifestyle that's the issue. Make sense?
I agree with all of this. Even as a single non-trad, my priorities and lifestyle are just different than those of many of my trad classmates. It's not at all that the trads aren't friendly to non-trads and vice-versa, but we're just not at the same points in our lives. There is this one super sweet trad girl in my class who called me to invite me to go out with her and some of her friends. This was at 9:30 PM, and they were just getting ready to leave for their night out. Although I really appreciated that they were thoughtful enough to invite me, I was already in my pajamas by this point, because I get up at 5:30 AM to study. Try explaining THAT to the typical person in their early twenties and see what kind of reaction you get. :laugh:

Shy Rem, would you mind me asking how many kids you have and what their ages are? I'm asking because I'm trying to gauge what it's going to be like to be in medical school while a child goes from 3 - 7. Am I going to miss her youth? More questions. . . Do you feel like, especially as a mother, that you have enough time for your kids and family? When you say you start studying at 10, does this mean all-nighters every other night, or generally until about 1 in the morning every night? How many hours a day do you spend in class?
I realize first and foremost that in medical school I'm going to have to let go of the need to get an A in every class, but I'm wondering if you feel like getting a C is manageable every time, or if you're pulling with a life outside school just to get that.

Any feedback would be great. Nervous about that first year with child, and the overall investment in medical school with a family.

Well, I'm not Shy-Rem, but I have two children, one that just turned 4 and one that is about to turn two. I just finished first year.
My schedule is different than Shy-Rem's. I try to stay home from class and spend a normal work day's amount of time studying. Sometimes I have school things going on in the afternoon and I study less during those days or make it up while the kids are in bed. I spend a good part of Saturday at the school and my hubby takes the kids to his parent's house the weekend before an exam. Its probably comparable to an time intensive job. I get plenty of sleep every night, spend a few hours with my kids every day and have one full day with them on the weekend.
I don't think I'm gonna "miss my children's youth" but things will be more difficult during third year and during residency.
I'm actually hoping things will start to get a little easier as my children become more independent and are less likely to stop reeking havoc to my house. (maybe that will never happen)

Members don't see this ad :)

i see and i suspected as much, however, the tone of Lori Gottlieb's story at doctorscientist.wordpress.com made the situation between trads and non-trads at her school more dramatic than I thought it would be for non-trads going into medicine with a lot of real-world experience.

I think having a life outside of medicine is imperative to keeping a sane balance while dealing with the rigor of med school. To not have anything that resembles an outlet for expression and relaxation is just insane.

Year 1 was great and pretty much what I expected. It was a tough adjustment at first for the family and the wife especially. However, after about a month and some adjustments by me, these things really got ironed out. We had a couple bad weeks every semester, but I usually saw the kids everyday, and was home for dinner 4 out of the 7 nights a weeks. Saturday was family day along with Sunday AM to afternoon for church stuff. Alot of our tests were Monday AM so I studied a lot of Sunday evening/nights.

Best Moments: Found out my wife is pregnant with our fourth child, and yes it was mine even, so bonus! j/k. Enjoyed most of the classes and found an awesome study group. 3 of us have wives and children, 1 is a trad, that is one of my best friends, so we can all get along :)

Worst Moments: Well behavioral medicine was annoying, and ambiguous. Mandatory ethics lectures were always before a test day and wasted a lot of time.

Hardest part will be going back next month, after being out with the family these last 8 weeks. I'll be fine, it'll be my wife who needs adjustment for the first month.

Best advice: Print out a schedule from Outlook, or whatever you have of your weekly schedule, including scheduled study time. This gives your SO, a nice plan and can walk through the day and week with you, and can anticipate upcoming tests, etc. This was money for our family.

Oh, and have fun!

totally agree.

While I'm a non-trad age (32), I have it much easier as I don't have a wife and kids. So, for me, my 1st year would have been much more similar to a traditional student's responsibilities.... namely school.

The only difference is that I really didn't get into the social scene too much. I just felt like I've kind of been there and done that, in terms of all the post-exam parties etc. These were usually at clubs downtown, which isn't really my scene anyway.

While I got along great with my fellow students, the fact of the matter IS that they're at a different point in their lives. To some extent, they're still figuring things out, in terms of making new friends and so on... Don't get me wrong, I've made a good number of friends. It's just that my OBJECTIVE wasn't really to establish some major social network. Also, your average 24-25 year old IS still figuring things out a bit. Not that I know it all, but I have a pretty solid sense of who I am. Perhaps you'll notice this as well.

I'm conflicted about this to some extent. I may embrace med school a bit more this coming year, in terms of the social scene. We'll see. I have been impressed with the general maturity and focus (and hard work) of our trad colleagues.

As for school itself, it's VERY doable. The advantage of being a non-trad and having been out in the work force for various years, is that we already know how to put in a long day (if necessary), and to manage time. Also, I found that I had much more clarity as to what was really important, and should therefore be a priority.

Also, I've found that I don't really stress about some of the things that my traditional counterparts do. Many of us have had major responsibilities in the "real world". So, giving a minor presentation to a clinical small group isn't exactly going to rock my world at this point. That's a big advantage, I think. You don't tend to lose perspective, so to speak.

Well, my situation is a bit different, for a number of reasons. My children were 8 and 11 when I started last year, but were 4 and 7 when I started back to undergrad full time (which is NOTHING like med school). I'm more of an auditory learner, so I go to class. My husband works nights with rotating days off (what a pain that one is).

All that being said, my basic schedule is this:
6am: Get up. Help children get ready for school and out the door.
6:45 :Get into the shower after daughter leaves for school and while son eats breakfast.
7:10 Out of shower, dressed, makeup on, get son's backpack ready (and searched for contraband toys), get him out the door 7:15. Husband comes home around this time and graciously makes me a latte :love:. We chat for 15 minutes while I get my stuff ready, go over schedules, etc.
7:30: I leave.
8am-3or 4pm: Class. This can vary; some days we're out by 12 or 2, occassionally there until 5pm (especially on lab days).
Whenever class gets out, I go HOME. I send husband back to bed (he wakes up when the kids get home around 2:30) for a nap. I cook dinner, help with homework, get dishes done, housework stuff done, make sure music lessons are practiced, get children to bed by 8:30pm.
8:30-9 I finish cleaning dishes, make husband's lunch.
9pm: wake up husband for work. Make him coffee and chat for 30 minutes or so while he has his "breakfast", then he gets a shower and I get anything done for him that he needs (find a clean work shirt, etc.)
10pm: husband leaves for work, I get to sit down and study until about 1am.
Sleep for 5 hours, start all over the next day.

My husband works rotating work days, so "weekends" are rarely weekends. Generally I stay up with the kids so he has the opportunity for a full day's sleep. And again, I get to study from 10pm-1am.

So do I spend quality time with my kids? YES. I think it's important. I've missed a few things in their lives, but for the most part I'm Mom.

With a few exceptions (bacT :smuggrin:), all the coursework has been more than manageable in those 3 hours a day of studying. Have I honored many classes? Not really. Am I barely squeaking by? Not really. I'm pretty comfortably in the middle -- generally around 80-85 or so. And I'm happy with that. If I sacrificed my family time, I'm fairly confident I would be honoring most classes. Bottom line is I'm just not willing to do that.

Now I will say that there are tricks to help you get the most out of your time. For me, I got a PDA. Powerpoint files can be downloaded and reviewed on it and it's ultra-portable (think waiting in lines, in waiting rooms, even in the bathroom if it's crunch time before exams, waiting for children's plays or games to start, etc.). There are question banks on line that you can download for $7-9 each that I found helpful. My tablet PC came with a program to make flashcards that automatically play one side and then the other -- very helpful for certain classes. Would I do it again? YOU BET.

It's doable. Just work on finding the right balance and what works for you. Good luck. We're here for suggestions, whining, cheerleading if you need it. ;)

If I'm admitted (hopefully, of course!), I'll be 27 when I start, and I'm already wondering where I'll fit in all this trad/non-trad mess. I'm single and will not be married or having kids in the near future, and while I love to go out for a beer, I like to be in by 11 or 12. While back in school taking my prerequisites, I've experienced extreme annoyance at my younger counterparts. I graduated college 3 years ago, but I already feel a world of difference between myself and them. My state school I'd like to attend has an extremely low percentage of non-trad students, and I don't know what to make of that. Is it better to choose a school where that number is higher? This issue really sneaked up on me once I started the whole process of going back to school.

My state school I'd like to attend has an extremely low percentage of non-trad students, and I don't know what to make of that. Is it better to choose a school where that number is higher? This issue really sneaked up on me once I started the whole process of going back to school.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. The nice thing about med school (at least mine) is that generally the classes are large (175 in my class) and rather diverse. Really, what percentage of your class will you require to have similar interests in order for you to "fit in" with your class?

I guess if I can find a few individuals that I get a long with relatively well, I'm in good shape. Surely in a class as large as 175, one should be able to do that provided you try a little to get to know people.

I'm really glad that someone decided to start this thread :D. As a upcoming first year and mother, the experiences shared thus far have been timely. Thanks again and keep it coming!!!

I'm really glad that someone decided to start this thread :D. As a upcoming first year and mother, the experiences shared thus far have been timely. Thanks again and keep it coming!!!

I agree! This mom and future M1 thanks you all for the helpful and encouraging posts, too.

Definitely a great idea for a thread!

And while I'm not an MS1 (yet ;)) I take courses in the first year med school curriculum with med students. And I'd like to comment that at least with me, the first course I took was shocking from a volume point of view (22 lecture/chapters per exam :eek:) But with each course, I find myself better able to assimilate a large volume of info in a short amount of time and still do well ( B and better) in these courses.

So is there anyone else that would like to comment on how your brain becomes more effecient at processing large amounts of info and also the decision to attend classes versus not in the first 2 years (when you can).

Recharging? We're building an addition to the house. Sleeping. A BIG addition. Ourselves. Sleeping. Swingin' hammers, pounding nails. Sleeping. Painting the inside of the existing house. Sleeping. Cooking. SLEEPING. Did I mention sleeping???

Are you guys doing this yourself or hiring it out?

My husband and I remodeled our kitchen, LR, DR, Laundry, foyer, and hallway leading back to bedrooms and decided anything else we were going to hire out.

Remodeling and putting together Ikea furniture put us on the brink of divorce LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, I just finished my 2nd year and took Step 1. It seems a lot of people here are trying to minimize time with school and maximize time with kids. That is obviously not a bad thing but following that too much may have tragic consequences at end of second year. Your family is making a lot of sacrifices for you, now you have to make sure you don't let them down.

If I can give you guys some advice about 2nd versus 1st year ... work harder and it will really pay off. If you put in minimal effort or just enough effort to pass you will be screwed on step. SCREWED. Make sure you comfortably pass in the low to mid-80's on exams routinely if you want to have a good chance of passing Step 1.

Second year is a whole different ballgame and much harder ... and Step 1 is pretty ridiculous.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but just give you a heads up that Step 1 is a real b*tch and as you all know is very important for your career.

Hey guys, I just finished my 2nd year and took Step 1. It seems a lot of people here are trying to minimize time with school and maximize time with kids. That is obviously not a bad thing but following that too much may have tragic consequences at end of second year. Your family is making a lot of sacrifices for you, now you have to make sure you don't let them down.

If I can give you guys some advice about 2nd versus 1st year ... work harder and it will really pay off. If you put in minimal effort or just enough effort to pass you will be screwed on step. SCREWED. Make sure you comfortably pass in the low to mid-80's on exams routinely if you want to have a good chance of passing Step 1.

Second year is a whole different ballgame and much harder ... and Step 1 is pretty ridiculous.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but just give you a heads up that Step 1 is a real b*tch and as you all know is very important for your career.

Scary but probably good advice. In retrospect, first year was surprisingly doable, so it's got to get worse, right. :)

Well, I'm a married childfree non-trad (unless you count cats) and just finished my first year. My experiences seem more similar to Q's in that there are differences even for those of us without kids. I've grown accustomed to having a pretty stable life with a decent place to live, good food, regular sleep, etc. -- staying up all night before exams is not something I'm going to do, and I don't want to be out at 3 am. Everyone is friendly, but things like that mean that you probably won't be a central part of your school's social life.

Best moment -- studying really hard for my physiology exam and bringing my borderline grade up.

Worst moment -- waiting over a month to get any financial aid money first semester. My staffords were the only timely thing and that all went to tuition. I needed my scholarship and GradPlus money for living expenses, and that didn't show up until September. Since I had used my savings to apply to schools, pay for my move and put down deposits everywhere, I was pretty much broke and needed money asap.

I think the biggest surprise is that my class was more homogenous than I expected. I had been out of state for a long time, and it's probably something I wouldn't have noticed had I gone to school right after college graduation. Academically, the surprise was that while we cover a ton of material, it just starts to seem normal.

The big take home message for first year is that you can structure it like working, so you can have a life outside of school. Overall I'm glad I did it, but I do miss making money -- I don't miss my job, though. I'm spending the summer relaxing -- fixing up my place and going on some trips.

Are you guys doing this yourself or hiring it out?

My husband and I remodeled our kitchen, LR, DR, Laundry, foyer, and hallway leading back to bedrooms and decided anything else we were going to hire out.

Remodeling and putting together Ikea furniture put us on the brink of divorce LOL!!!!!!!!!!
we're doing it ourselves, GSG. So far we've got rough framing for the first floor level (the garage), wall sheathing, interior walls/stairwell (but no stairs yet), garage header raised (yes, by hand - it was a total b!tch), and the lumber guys graciously put up the center beam (all 20 feet and 600 pounds of her) that will support the floor joists for the second floor. But it started raining a bit ago, so we put away the compressor, the miter saw, the framing nailer, the tools, and covered the lumber sitting on our new garage floor.

I grew up doing this stuff (mainly 'cuz we were too poor to pay someone else), but my husband's first project was our old kitchen remodel. I wanted to convince him to redo the entire floor on that level, but the kitchen was enough for him at that time. We ripped that sucker out to the subfloor and drywall before putting new everything in. Then we did two bathrooms. then the rest of the house. Now we figure "why not?" And since the contractors wanted between $50K-89K for just the framing, we decided to do it ourselves: materials are $19K. Labor is free (it's ours).

I think he's gonna be a house flipper when I'm done with med school and residency. :laugh:

1Path, I think whether you go to class or not depends on your learning style. I'm an auditory learner, so I go to class. EVERY class. For others, they can't concentrate in class so reading at home is a better option for them.

vio, I agree. My situation is a little different due to my husband's work schedule. Fortunately, I have a background in medicine, so not everything is so foreign to me (over 10 years as a paramedic in a metro and also a rural area - I've seen some weird stuff). But that's also why I'm reviewing some First Aid stuff and listening to Goljan over the summer when I have time. For me, a little familiarity makes things MUCH easier later on!

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but just give you a heads up that Step 1 is a real b*tch and as you all know is very important for your career.[/QUOTE]

good advice, I've heard that from many 2nd yrs and graduates. our professors harp on statitics of step 1 compared to exam grades all the time!

I am a non-trad, finished MS1 back in May. My background: I just turned 28, unmarried, no children. I made 2 very big moves, worked for 5 years, and completed my M.S. before starting med school. Not only was this my first year of medical school, but it was also my first year as a homeowner and landlord. My take on MS1 as a non-trad:

My overall "report" on the year: Manageable. With the exception of Anatomy and Neuro, there weren't any subjects that I hadn't at least approached in a a basic form in grad school. Still, that doesn't mean it was easy, by any stretch of the imagination. Oddly enough, I ended up enjoying histo and embryology (it seems like everyone else detested these subjects), parts of CMB, and renal physiology the most. That being said, nothing about first year was easy. Meaning: you have to work very hard and make some sacrifices to do well. But, if you work hard, and really understand the material, you can be right up there with your young, fresh, brilliant classmates from Harvard and Cornell.

The worst part about this year, for me, was adapting to a new city where I didn't know a soul, a new neighborhood that, frankly, made me feel very unsafe, and learning how to take care of a house that just didn't want to cooperate. I had a couple of meltdowns this year that revolved around house and car issues - but I am proud to say that (so far) I have not blown a fuse over med school.

Best moment?
Going on rounds or sitting in on a case presentation, and actually understanding some of what was being said.

Worst moment?
Getting home the night after an exam, to realize that you have to get up and go to class and small group the very next day. No break, no sick day, no day off, nothing.

Has it been what you expected, or have there been surprises (good or bad)?
Here is where I will comment on the younger generation. I came to medical school, still in the mindset that I am in my "early-to-mid-twenties." Sadly, no matter how hard I try, there is a mountain of difference between myself and my 22-year old classmates who just graduated from UG. Their hangovers last a couple of hours. Mine last 2 days. They have the stamina to pull all-nighter after all-nighter, and still go out Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. I need my 7 hours of sleep a night, and I'm lucky if I make it out both weekend nights. Still, I try to party like a rock star once in a blue moon, while I'm still young, because I know I will miss it terribly once these days are over.

I must also say that I have been pleasantly surprised by the maturity level of many of my younger classmates. I'd say that the vast majority of them are capable of being very professional individuals.

There is also (at my school) a wealth of non-traditional students. People who, upon first glance, appear to be 23 and fresh out of college, but who actually have M.S.s and R.N.s and J.D.s, who have held innumerable jobs, who have families and spouses, who have had entire careers, before coming to medical school. These are the people that I identify with most.

It is sometimes difficult, and even lonely, at times, to be one of the "older" students. You feel old. You feel out-of-the-loop. But the way I see it, you can do one of two things. Isolate yourself, keep your distance, say "tsk-tsk" to all of the silly things that the youngs kids do (which you were doing when you were their age, so why begrudge them that experience?), and stay an island. Or, join in the fun once in a while. Yeah, you may be an old fart, but I'll bet you that you can still drink most of them under the table on the proper occasion, 2-day hangover be damned. :)

Still glad you took the plunge?
Hell yeah. Bring on round 2.

How do you plan to recharge this summer?
I'm working at a local hospital on a couple of clinical research projects, working in the clinic/going on rounds every chance I get, and taking a lot of time off to go to Italy and work on my house. And that's it.

Good luck to all of the non-trads of the c/o 2011!!

Bumping my own thread from last year...let's hear from this year's group! (And updates from M2+ are certainly welcome as well!)

Hmm. Well, I had some things that I'm frankly amazed didn't send me into either alcoholism, drug addiction, or suicide. Let's just say first year sucked.

Has it been what I expected. I wasn't sure WHAT to expect, but I really couldn't comprehend of the sheer volume of information we were expected to process in such a short period of time.

I had to catch myself from telling my kids and husband to "get to the point already" halfway through their first sentence. Also good: how well my classmates all worked together, sharing notes, helping each other. It was really wonderful. Bad: I was appalled at how very juvenile students can be at times. My 9yo son behaved better sometimes. And how very selfish some students can be.

All of this (pardon the edits to fit) is pretty much reflective of my first year, as well. Honestly, there isn't much I can say that is redeemable from this year for me, other than I survived... I sure don't have many best moments - probably one of my favorites was when I got to see inside the eye (which excited me way more than I thought it would!). LOL. Way too many worst moments.

I had to catch myself from telling my kids and husband to "get to the point already" halfway through their first sentence.

:lol:

So funny. Definitely caught myself on this with some really close friends. I felt a little embarrassed for being so impatient with them...

Last edited:
As a 39 y/o non-trad who just finished 1st year, here are my thoughts:

I was a PA before I went back to med school, so the clinically oriented classes were great for me (I actually loved Biochem at our school). However, because I had been out of school so long, most of the other basic science classes were a struggle for me. Most of those are straight memorization and my brain has moved past that.
You start off the year determined to make all A's and somewhere in the middle you realize you want to do your best, pass all of your classes and not have to remediate over the summer ( or worse, decelerate). I am very happy to say I accomplished this goal. That fear of failing was always hanging over our heads because most basic science repeats require you to go to another state for the summer. Also, I still worked part-time during school. Call me crazy.
Because I had clinical experience, I was able to be a support and resource for my classmates. As a non-trad who cand be very shy until I get to know people, I decided to run for and was elected as class liaison. This gave me a great opportunity to interact with both faculty and students.
-Strangely enough, I did not really bond with some of the other non-trads, most of them had kids and I do not. I takes me a while to get to know people, but I ended the year with a few great friends and quite a few people that were just fun to hang out with. I too have a great support system at home and am not into the party/bar scene at all, but I do enjoy hanging out with my classmates at lunch, etc. And I have already gotten together with several of them this summer.
Bottom line is, 1st year is tough but doable, don't allow yourself to be fully isolated from your classmates or it will be a very long and even tougher year.
Good Luck to everyone!

Just finished MS1. Had no problems relating to the "younger" students. These kids really have their **** together and everyone is cool.

The year was not nearly as bad as I had anticipated by reading SDN. It seems that there are so many threads about how MS1 is so hard, etc... It is harder than undergrad but it is really not that different.

That being said, anatomy is unlike anything you've ever done before and it can really be a wake up call (it was for me). Barely passed my 2nd anatomy exam and that was studying 14+ hours a day for almost a week going into it. Just got behind and it was almost impossible to catch up. That was the worst moment. Don't get behind in anatomy!

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
I read this and thought "dang.. that was SO one year ago!" seems like forever.

One word of caution: studying in first year (and even second) seems very easy in hindsight compared to studying for boards. I was always very comfortable in my classes, and very consistent. Yet studying for boards makes me wonder if I ever went to class at all let alone how I ever managed to pass.

Beware of the "purge" syndrome after each class. I highly recommend going back and reviewing pertinent biochem for each system, pertinent anatomy and phys. I can't believe how much I have apparently "misplaced" in my brain. :(

I read this and thought "dang.. that was SO one year ago!" seems like forever.
:laugh: Ain't that the truth.

Just a word to you bright-eyed and bushy-tailed folks who have just finished first year and thought it wasn't so bad: don't get complacent. When I was a first year, it used to make me mad when the upperclassmen told me how easy first year was, because I didn't think it was all that easy. Not that it was awful, but I thought I was studying pretty hard. After I became a second year, I understood exactly what they meant, and I said the exact same thing to the students in the class behind me (no doubt annoying some of them in the process :smuggrin: ).

What makes second year harder? More work, more difficult classes, more time in clinic to prepare you for the wards, and oh, yeah, that little quiz thingie you have to take at the end of it. ;) On the other hand, second year was a lot more interesting than first year was. Pathology is way better than histo. (I had forgotten how much I hated histo until I re-read that post I wrote last year. :p ) Studying for boards can be an overwhelming experience sometimes, but it's also kind of cool because a lot of things you sort of learned but never totally understood the first time start to come together a little and actually make sense. All that being said, I'm glad I don't have to ever go through first or second year again--I figure that's about enough class now to last even a professional student like me a lifetime. :)

Thanks for the warnings about 2nd year!

Do any of you MS2's who just took Step 1 think it is a good idea to review during the summer before MS2? I know I won't remember that much but I was thinking about annotating First Aid and maybe making some flash cards for use next year!

Very interesting. I am 23 but won't start med school until 26 or 27. I was really surprised by the comments of 27 year olds saying that they don't fit in well. The average age of matriculants is 24-25, right? Do the two years really make that much difference? If so, then med school students are pretty much the same in quality as the undergrads. In undergrad I have been mostly to myself because the vast majority have been immature. That has not been a function of age - just different maturity level. I was thinking that would be different in med school, but maybe I am wrong

Thanks for the warnings about 2nd year!

Do any of you MS2's who just took Step 1 think it is a good idea to review during the summer before MS2? I know I won't remember that much but I was thinking about annotating First Aid and maybe making some flash cards for use next year!
I really don't think that's a very good use of your time. Honestly, nothing you study this summer probably will help you all that much. Most of Step 1 is based on second year material, particularly path, pharm, etc. You can't review subjects that you haven't learned yet in the first place. Focus on doing as well as you can next year in your classes, and that will give you a good foundation to study for Step 1. You can review the anatomy and physio as you go through the path and pharm, and that actually would be helpful, especially if your school uses a systems approach. If you really feel like you want to do something useful this summer, then find a retrospective research project in whatever specialty you think you might go into, and see if you can get yourself a pub or at least an abstract. (Basically, this is going to entail looking at a data set of some kind and analyzing it, which can be a doable summer-length project.)

I really don't think that's a very good use of your time. Honestly, nothing you study this summer probably will help you all that much. Most of Step 1 is based on second year material, particularly path, pharm, etc. You can't review subjects that you haven't learned yet in the first place. Focus on doing as well as you can next year in your classes, and that will give you a good foundation to study for Step 1.

Uhh - we do those in first year. Good to know.

Very interesting. I am 23 but won't start med school until 26 or 27. I was really surprised by the comments of 27 year olds saying that they don't fit in well. The average age of matriculants is 24-25, right? Do the two years really make that much difference? If so, then med school students are pretty much the same in quality as the undergrads. In undergrad I have been mostly to myself because the vast majority have been immature. That has not been a function of age - just different maturity level. I was thinking that would be different in med school, but maybe I am wrong

I think that there's almost as much immaturity in med school, among the 21 year olds.

I think that a 27 year old who is feeling like he/she doesn't fit in well is looking wistfully at the 21 year olds, who are still young and flighty and silly, and is not sure how to feel about them. They're overwhelmingly loud and young and excited, and I'm sure it can seem like they dominate the class, even though they're not a majority.

It's completely clear to me how to manage my own expectations: I need to keep my distance, not try to be a 21 year old, be supportive and respectful of their youthful exuberance, and look to the older students for my friend base. A 21 year old is going to "fit in" immediately; as a 41 year old, I don't need to fit in at all. Usually the youngsters start appreciating me about 6 weeks into a term.

We still have several weeks to go. So far it's been a great experience. Pretty much what I expected except that I like and admire my classmates more than I thought I would (I thought I had met some pretty nice / smart people over the years, but I must say my class stands out in a good way). It's a lot of work, but that's totally expected. Because I spend most of my time sitting, working out regularly has become much more important to me. I look forward to moving around in the clinics (rather than sitting all day and night). Similarly, I've been pleasantly surprised by our profs. I had visions of task-masters I knew from the corporate world, but these folks are very nice by comparison. There are a few individuals that stick out in a negative way, but plenty of profs that are very inspiring.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for bumping this thread. I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences.

Uhh - we do those in first year. Good to know.

You'll be doing more of it (and more pertinent parts of it) in second year. We had path and pharm first year too --- and it was pretty much an introduction to enable us to understand and learn the path and pharm integrated into the systems of second year. Believe us, the path and pharm you learn as an MSI is not sufficient for the boards.

You'll be doing more of it (and more pertinent parts of it) in second year. We had path and pharm first year too --- and it was pretty much an introduction to enable us to understand and learn the path and pharm integrated into the systems of second year. Believe us, the path and pharm you learn as an MSI is not sufficient for the boards.
Same with us.

Same with us.

Oh, sure - I get that. I thought you meant the classes themselves. :oops:

Bumping my own thread from last year...let's hear from this year's group! (And updates from M2+ are certainly welcome as well!)

I saw Q comment on another thread that these kids can memorize War and Peace cover-to-cover in a week without even breaking a sweat. Amen, sister. Seriously, I've got friends who can read over the syllabus about three times, maybe make some minimal notes, and then can tell you any little detail about it. For those of us who aren't memorizers, first year doesn't go easily. But it does go. From what I've seen of the 2nd year curriculum so far, it looks like the material they cover will be much more interesting and relevant. Not easier in itself, perhaps, but more motivating.

Yes, there are startlingly immature people in an MS1 class. *carefully misremembers 22-year-old self:rolleyes:* Fortunately, there are also sensible, well-balanced people. Do what you'd do in any workplace: spend your time with the people you respect. Don't worry about what the others are doing.

My best/worst moment: hmmm. I won't say that first year, in itself, has a lot of great ones. Nor, if you keep yourself on an even keel, does it have a lot of horrible ones. The day before a big test is never fun, but if you've been working sensibly the entire class, it shouldn't be an occasion for panic. Treat the year like a marathon, and it'll be over before you know. I really do feel as if I just got here.

I enjoyed seeing things in anatomy and on histology slides (not fat-picking, dissecting, or memorizing, though -- I would have been a great MS-1 tourist :cool:). It's a really remarkable opportunity to appreciate the... oh, dear, how can I say this without sounding cheesy? it gives you a new sense of the... hell's bells, you'll know what I mean when you get there.

It was kind of cool to listen to heart sounds and breath sounds and observe a retina for the first time.

I think, however, the best moment of MS-1 for me didn't have anything to do with MS-1 at all. I was tired and annoyed by all the useless memorization and was taking a moment trying to choose to be less tired and annoyed (something that is not a native talent with me), when I saw a couple holding a (maybe) 1-year-old in front of me. There were clearly some significant medical problems with the 1-year-old and I decided: this is all getting me to where I'll be able to take care of him. Some of it may not be worth doing, but it's all worth getting through and getting past.

If you really feel like you want to do something useful this summer, then find a retrospective research project in whatever specialty you think you might go into, and see if you can get yourself a pub or at least an abstract. (Basically, this is going to entail looking at a data set of some kind and analyzing it, which can be a doable summer-length project.)

I have to say this is a great morsel of advice. All the data is there (in medical records) so it's just a matter of a good idea and serious elbow grease. It's within anyone's control to get something out of it. :thumbup:

I think that there's almost as much immaturity in med school, among the 21 year olds.

I think that a 27 year old who is feeling like he/she doesn't fit in well is looking wistfully at the 21 year olds, who are still young and flighty and silly, and is not sure how to feel about them. They're overwhelmingly loud and young and excited, and I'm sure it can seem like they dominate the class, even though they're not a majority.

It's completely clear to me how to manage my own expectations: I need to keep my distance, not try to be a 21 year old, be supportive and respectful of their youthful exuberance, and look to the older students for my friend base. A 21 year old is going to "fit in" immediately; as a 41 year old, I don't need to fit in at all. Usually the youngsters start appreciating me about 6 weeks into a term.

Now I see. So you guys are mainly talking about a portion of the class that's about 21-22, even though they're a minority. In that case I'd assume that the only time that the average 26-28 year old wouldn't fit in would be during the class (you can hang out with the more mature ones afterwards).

To me this whole idea of age seems not to be the problem. I think that as non-trads going into med school we have a lot more interests and have done many more things that the trads have not, which then puts us in a special group. We have a reason why we didn't go to medschool earlier. I am sure that there are many people in their late 20s who'd fit in just fine, but the people in their late 20s who choose to go to med school usually have done a lot with their lives. Some of us already have a masters degree in an unrelated field and others have some really crazy hobbies (this is why my med school is now being delayed).

Another major offset can be family. I think that people who are married and have children have a totally different mindset. Again, this is not as much a function of age as lifestyle. Now imagine when you combine the above two qualities in one person - this is when you get a totally different student that might not fit in easily.

I really haven't met a lot of mature students in undergrad and was hoping that medschool would offer more mature/smarter pool of people from which to choose close friends or seek a relationship. Those of you not in a relationship, what is your experience with this? If it is the same as undergrad, then it will be very disappointing. I have friends who are much older than I and they usually have met most of their peers in grad schools (especially law school). I don't know what's the dynamic at medschool since I don't have any friends from that path of life.

I really haven't met a lot of mature students in undergrad and was hoping that medschool would offer more mature/smarter pool of people from which to choose close friends or seek a relationship. Those of you not in a relationship, what is your experience with this? If it is the same as undergrad, then it will be very disappointing. I have friends who are much older than I and they usually have met most of their peers in grad schools (especially law school). I don't know what's the dynamic at medschool since I don't have any friends from that path of life.
No matter what age you are, dating in your med school class is just asking for drama. I don't think it's even such a good idea to date anyone affiliated with the med school or hospital (including residents, nurses, etc.) while you're a student there, to be honest. Socially, med school isn't a step up from UG; if anything, it's more like a step down back into high school. :smuggrin: People *will* know your business, even if you think you're being all discreet, and the info *will* spread all over the school. I tend to be more out of the gossip loop than most people in my class because I rarely attend social functions, but I have still managed to hear plenty of the gory personal life war stories. When even I have heard about it, then that story really *has* gotten around the whole school. :p

Now if you're looking for people you can relate to in terms of friends, I think you'll have a very good chance of finding some of those (of all ages) in medical school. People tend to naturally gravitate toward others with similar interests in general, and med school is no different. In a class of 100-200 people, you ought to be able to find several that you have something in common with and even want to hang out with on weekends. My best advice is to not go into med school with unreasonable expectations for the social situation. There will almost certainly be some people you hit it off with, and also some you don't much care for. Spend your free time with the former, and not with the latter. :)

No matter what age you are, dating in your med school class is just asking for drama. I don't think it's even such a good idea to date anyone affiliated with the med school or hospital (including residents, nurses, etc.) while you're a student there, to be honest.

Ahh, the proverbial "don't..uh..defecate where you eat" I've heard this sage advice thrown around for all professional schools, namely business school where this "high school" concept also applies. I don't know. I think the principle is correct but there are plenty of successful med school (MD+MD)/medical center (PTs, RNs, etc) matches that seem to last relatively well. It all depends on what you're looking for and what your life priorities are in this long stretch. Some people have a thicker skin for gossip and the like. Who gives a rat's anus what other people say/think if it doesn't distract you from whatever your priorities are.