getting malpratice insurance as resident for moonlighing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
in med school, i knew of some residents who spend like $1200/yr to get malpratice insurance to let them moonlight. This was fairly common among the surgery and med/peds residents. i never asked them in detail what company they used. anyone got links?

Members don't see this ad.

Malpractice insurers are to some extent state specific. So no, there are no 'links' anyone can reasonably give you.

Malpractice insurers are to some extent state specific. So no, there are no 'links' anyone can reasonably give you.

anyone have links to companies in los angeles area? thanks.

call some insurance agencies and ask to speak to their medical malpractice rep. You can at least find out what companies are available in your state that way.

Agree that it may be institution-specific.

I'm moonlighting at three hospitals here, and all have provided malpractice insurance for me. There was no need to pay out-of-pocket. If so, though, it would be expensive - I once did a preliminary quote and for decent coverage, it was WAY more than $1200/year.

I have one place (urgent care) that covers malpractice for me and an ED that will cover it if I want but then pay me $30 less/hr. Even with EM coverage premiums (significantly higher than FM/urgent care) I come out ahead paying for it myself after about 3 shifts. By having my own coverage, they don't "own" me and expect me to do a certain 3 of shifts/month and I am available to take other things that come up. (some of our rural EDs have a week or two at a time with no coverage and are willing to pay a lot more b/c they are desperate)

If you accept coverage through any of the hospitals or ED groups, make sure you know what type of coverage it is (claims made vs. occurence), who holds the policy and get a copy of the certificate of coverage as well as the endorsement that lists you as covered locums provider.

Later on, when you buy 'real' malpractice insurance for your first job (or more typically your group buys it), you will have to list ALL professional activities since high-school. Your new 'claims made' insurer doesn't want to get stuck with stuff from some moonlight gig you did during residency (as they cover you for 'claims made', so if someone files suit 23 months after the 'tort' while you are insured with the new company, they get involved).