Stop the Accreditation of "Rocky-Vista"!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gentle Reminder to everyone

You can talk about issues facing osteopathic medicine, you can talk about PCOM's Gen Surgery program, you can talk about the direction that osteopathic medicine is facing ...

but try to remain professional about it ... help keep this thread alive

thanks

Oh, btw, you did get the memo about the new cover sheet for the TPS report, right? :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
No worries. All is good on my end. :thumbup:

And the reason I post so much is because I sit and read several hours/night...thus I am at my desk most of my time when I am at home.

5a-?p in the hospital, eat dinner then few hours of reading and SDN checks q2hours

I also post during the day when I am sitting waiting for labs to come back or waiting for students to finish scut work...I mean educational activities. ;)

Let us not forget that as the public at large searches for information regarding the option of RVU as a potential DO school they will come to this forum. It is among the top 10 google resources under the search right now.

Ugly bantering needs to be removed and saved for another time and place. If we are to evolve we should find another place to deal with our emotional composition. Meditate on this. You are all, especially those involved in posting so frequently on this forum, leaders. Let's show the country we are capable of healthy banter, discussion, and can "heal" our emotional mechanisms through our own medicine. Hostile messages, name calling, and so on. Can we please reframe the continued support of this forum and focus on updating the information as RVU progresses, or does not, and maintain an open forum for "debate." The pros and cons should always be debated. We must be able to look at all situations with the opposite in mind. This will enable well balanced and rational thinking to occur for those who are making choices right now for themselves, and for this profession/service.

Thank you for considering.

Let us not forget that as the public at large searches for information regarding the option of RVU as a potential DO school they will come to this forum. It is among the top 10 google resources under the search right now.

Ugly bantering needs to be removed and saved for another time and place. If we are to evolve we should find another place to deal with our emotional composition. Meditate on this. You are all, especially those involved in posting so frequently on this forum, leaders. Let's show the country we are capable of healthy banter, discussion, and can "heal" our emotional mechanisms through our own medicine. Hostile messages, name calling, and so on. Can we please reframe the continued support of this forum and focus on updating the information as RVU progresses, or does not, and maintain an open forum for "debate." The pros and cons should always be debated. We must be able to look at all situations with the opposite in mind. This will enable well balanced and rational thinking to occur for those who are making choices right now for themselves, and for this profession/service.

Thank you for considering.

I was going to blow your comments off but then I saw you were an MD/PhD student...so I decided to laugh out loud instead.

So after reading a portion of this thread I decided to give some insight about the school from my point of view.

No schedule is up for the first year rotations; in fact most students don't even know what their first rotation is going to be. But the school has until Aug 1st to inform the class what hospital they will be going to. So there is a positive side. Some in the class have been told what rotations they are doing while others are left in the dark. They even allowed certain people opportunities to go places that were not in the lottery. Well, lottery is a broad term; it was more like we are sticking you here. No bias was given to class ranking, family, or the phase of the moon. Just the bias of the professors. There are rumors of hospitals coming and going but no one really knows for sure. I am sure Dubin will address the class again in his lawyer speak and say nothing for an hour while trying to make the jury well good.

Wait till AUC students begin to filter in.

Board scores are going to be skewed as Dean Dubin is mandating the lower portion of the class take their COMLEX step 1 in August.

RVU is so worried about their image after the political upheaval and firing of the initial dean that there has been retribution against students who have spoken out. That is why they tell everyone to use facebook as the info can be monitored and censored (this has happened already), the person posting is not anonymous, and the school will discipline students for being unprofessional by speaking up and pointing out inconsistencies that were told to them when they were in the interview room being fed food and other stuff from the sales team.

It doesn't look like RVU will be getting Title IV any time soon. But why? Well when Mr. Tien has his private loans set at 8.5% on the 40K you will be paying for tuition each year; why get Title IV? (Stafford loans are on their way back down again) http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp

He just increases tuition 8.5% and will get a return on the money. There is even a clause in the Loan agreement that states if you stop attending, or transfer you have to start paying it back immediately. There will be very few ways to get out of being an indentured physician by taking one of these loans.

There is a reason there has been an exodus of professors!! (Willingly or not)

Ex-President Black was asked to resign by COCA as he is a true example of a Conflict of Interest being Tien's lawyer. There are about 5 lawyers running the school to include Dubin who has not made many friends amongst the faculty (many have left) and the students. Yes he has many accolades, but why the Dean's position at TCOM not offered to him if he was "so good".

On the bright side RVU will produce some good doctors who will be paying Tien a lot of money for a long time. Yes some schools do pull in a profit, but most schools out there with a reputable name put back into the community. It would be nice to see Rocky Vista open its clinic to the local community and provide health care, not just collect insurance premiums.

So if you come here by all means do your research!!

Last edited:
where is Dr JPH nowadays? why was he banned? when i was first introduced to this site, i exclusively looked for his comments.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering in the other thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9744127#post9744127

Also, you seem to be implying that Tife Yien owns the bank that's lending to students, and that isn't the case.

No Yife does not own the bank. you are right on that. But He is going through a bank to loan you the money. He fronts the money, the bank manages the loan, Yife reaps the 8.5% interest minus bank fees for his loan to you.

No bank is going to loan money to a student going to a non-accedidated (this includes provisional acedidation) school. The money needed to be fronted from some where and it was from his pockets.

Members don't see this ad :)
I contacted the lending bank and the company servicing the loan, and they both stated that the bank and servicing agents are the ones gaining the money from interest. Bank of Lake Mills and Cology, if you'd like to verify this. I'm not sure where you got the information presented below, but it does not seem to be true.

No Yife does not own the bank. you are right on that. But He is going through a bank to loan you the money. He fronts the money, the bank manages the loan, Yife reaps the 8.5% interest minus bank fees for his loan to you.

No bank is going to loan money to a student going to a non-accedidated (this includes provisional acedidation) school. The money needed to be fronted from some where and it was from his pockets.

Last edited:
I contacted the lending bank and the company servicing the loan, and they both stated that the bank and servicing agents are the ones gaining the money from interest. Bank of Lake Mills and Cology, if you'd like to verify this. I'm not sure where you got the information presented below, but it does not seem to be true.

Thanks for doing that research, Fluence. That makes me feel a lot better!

Hi, anyone at RVU, I was wondering if the schedule for rotations had been solidified by now. Thanks.

Last edited:

Great job looking into that.

And to share with others, yes, we know the first 4 months of our rotations now. They aren't scheduling us too far out so that we have the flexibility to rotate with new docs who are just signing on. It also gives us ample time to schedule away rotations, if we choose to do so.

I am curious as to how much research you did? DId you ask where the money is coming from or are you going to trust the bank is acting in your best interest ( no pun intended ) :laugh: ? 4% origination fee, no forgivness if you die - your children get it; if you can find a spouse while you are working all those extra hours. Good Luck

How about that exam Huh???

Dubin may look great on paper, but he just proved to the class what kind of @$$ he can be didn't he.

To quote a fellow professor from a lecture about heamophilia ".... DO you all know who this is right..?? This is the new Dean." With a picture of Rasputin portrayed on the screen, the Professor stated, "Things are going to get a lot harder around here!" Enjoy your medical school experiance :xf:

I am curious as to how much research you did? DId you ask where the money is coming from or are you going to trust the bank is acting in your best interest ( no pun intended ) :laugh: ? 4% origination fee, no forgivness if you die - your children get it; if you can find a spouse while you are working all those extra hours. Good Luck

How about that exam Huh???

Dubin may look great on paper, but he just proved to the class what kind of @$$ he can be didn't he.

To quote a fellow professor from a lecture about heamophilia ".... DO you all know who this is right..?? This is the new Dean." With a picture of Rasputin portrayed on the screen, the Professor stated, "Things are going to get a lot harder around here!" Enjoy your medical school experiance :xf:

Seriously dude.. what happened. Did you flunk the boards or getting kicked out of RVU. All this RVU & Dean bashing on multiple thread all of a sudden seems like sour grapes. No body is getting forced to go to RVU, it a choice that people are making which might be better than going to Caribbean. Regardless of Dean or Yife or "For-Profit" situation, some of the students are very happy with the education they are receiving. Isn't what these students here for?

Seriously dude.. what happened. Did you flunk the boards or getting kicked out of RVU. All this RVU & Dean bashing on multiple thread all of a sudden seems like sour grapes. No body is getting forced to go to RVU, it a choice that people are making which might be better than going to Caribbean. Regardless of Dean or Yife or "For-Profit" situation, some of the students are very happy with the education they are receiving. Isn't what these students here for?

:thumbup::thumbup:

Seriously? What have you been smokin'? I would like you to show me a loan that is passed onto someone's children that isn't run by the mafia? Loans and/or debt are not passed on to your children.

Seriously? What have you been smokin'? I would like you to show me a loan that is passed onto someone's children that isn't run by the mafia? Loans and/or debt are not passed on to your children.

It sucks, but it's true. But it's only true for private loans, not federal.

From the Stafford Loan FAQ page:

http://www.staffordloan.com/repayment/consolidation-faq.php

"If you should pass away, private loans are passed to your next of kin. Federal loans are forgiven." RVU loans are private loans.

It sucks, but it's true. But it's only true for private loans, not federal.

From the Stafford Loan FAQ page:

http://www.staffordloan.com/repayment/consolidation-faq.php

"If you should pass away, private loans are passed to your next of kin. Federal loans are forgiven." RVU loans are private loans.

Private loan debts are often handled like any other debt, your estate will be responsible for paying off the debt, but that does not EVER fall onto your children's direct assets. Only your assets go towards the debt via the estate. This means the children will get less money from your estate, but it will not impact their own earned money directly.

Now if you die and you have a cosigner, that's a different story. The cosigner is obligated to pay back the loan, so you should take out life insurance up to the amount of the loan with your cosigner as the primary beneficiary, to ensure your cosigner will not be responsible for your debt.

Wow, good to know. I hope that everyone who took out that private loan (and their cosigner if applicable) was thoroughly advised about that!

Private loan debts are often handled like any other debt, your estate will be responsible for paying off the debt, but that does not EVER fall onto your children's direct assets. Only your assets go towards the debt via the estate. This means the children will get less money from your estate, but it will not impact their own earned money directly.

Now if you die and you have a cosigner, that's a different story. The cosigner is obligated to pay back the loan, so you should take out life insurance up to the amount of the loan with your cosigner as the primary beneficiary, to ensure your cosigner will not be responsible for your debt.

So what if your estate, even with all your assets, isn't enough to cover the debt?

Yes some of the students are happy going to RVU. And a lot of them will become great physicians.

How many of them actually sat down and read line by line the documents they were about to sign? Or was there desire to go to medical school so large they just signed on the line and agreed to essentially become enslaved by a lender.

Indentured service still exsist today, just in a different form.
Let me ask you, what is your issue with someone exposing some things that a few would like to keep hidden. I am sure this may help a few make a more informed decision prior taking on about 350 - 330K in debt at 8.5%

Yes the estate gets your debt, and if you are negative well that really stinks for your children. Yife will get his money even if he has to go after ones heirs

Yes some of the students are happy going to RVU. And a lot of them will become great physicians.

How many of them actually sat down and read line by line the documents they were about to sign? Or was there desire to go to medical school so large they just signed on the line and agreed to essentially become enslaved by a lender.

Indentured service still exsist today, just in a different form.
Let me ask you, what is your issue with someone exposing some things that a few would like to keep hidden. I am sure this may help a few make a more informed decision prior taking on about 350 - 330K in debt at 8.5%

Yes the estate gets your debt, and if you are negative well that really stinks for your children. Yife will get his money even if he has to go after ones heirs

Wow. I am glad you don't work at the school anymore, because if you did you would be giving it a bad name just through your ignorance. Your kids ARE NOT obligated to pay the debts off that your estate cannot cover. Yes, 8.5% is not great, but it's a lot better than a standard private loan of 10 or 11%.

Also, how do you think the school is going to prevent students from taking out government loans once it's fully accredited? Have you read the accreditation procedures? I did. If the school is not accredited prior to the graduation of their first graduating class they will not be offered any type of accreditation (including a removal of their provisional accreditation), which means the school will be closing. Do you really think that is a good business model for success?

Moose is correct.

I don't mean to be mean, but the lack of basic financial knowledge in this thread astounds me.

Loans never ever ever pass onto your heirs unless
a) they cosigned
b) you have a spouse, sometimes

In some states, certain debt can pass onto the spouse. I don't think it applies here as only debt from community property can pass.

Sure, their estate can be emptied, and sure, I've heard of cases where the loan originator or some hired thugs try and harass family members for money (I'm not sure on the legality of this, but it does happen) but you would owe nothing.

I will add that students often consolidate their loans, and you may have cosigned for one loan and not another, which can complicate matters a tad

Mods, please ban this troll.

tldr: debt you don't cosign for or isn't jointly owned NEVER passes onto someone else when you die. Secured debt can pass, but if the debt>the security, why would you accept the security?

Moose is correct.

I don't mean to be mean, but the lack of basic financial knowledge in this thread astounds me.

Loans never ever ever pass onto your heirs unless
a) they cosigned
b) you have a spouse, sometimes

In some states, certain debt can pass onto the spouse. I don't think it applies here as only debt from community property can pass.

Sure, their estate can be emptied, and sure, I've heard of cases where the loan originator or some hired thugs try and harass family members for money (I'm not sure on the legality of this, but it does happen) but you would owe nothing.

I will add that students often consolidate their loans, and you may have cosigned for one loan and not another, which can complicate matters a tad

Mods, please ban this troll.

tldr: debt you don't cosign for or isn't jointly owned NEVER passes onto someone else when you die. Secured debt can pass, but if the debt>the security, why would you accept the security?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Seriously..... come on mods!