Will you dispense syringes no questions asked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you sell syringes without a prescription if your state law allows it?

• Yes, no limits on number

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • Yes, with limits on number (ex. whole boxes of 100)

Votes: 55 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters

twester

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming that your state laws will allow you to dispense insulin syringes without a prescription, will you do it when it's your decision to do so?

As an intern, I abide by what my pharmacist tells me he/she will allow.
My personal feeling is that I'd rather sell syringes (never just one syringe) to an IV drug abuser than force them to re-use or borrow syringes and risk infection with a blood-borne pathogen. I think it's a public health issue.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My pharmacy supervisor says we do. I only sell them by the box, never individually or by the 10 pack. I figure if they want they bad enough then they can pay for the whole box.

I'll only do it if they don't try to bull**** me. Just ask me for needles and I'll give it to you. Hell, if somebody came up to me and told me it was for heroin, I'd sell it to em because they were honest. Tell me it's for your grandma and I'll start asking questions...what gauge....what type of insulin...what volume. Treat me like I'm naive and you get served.

So my answer is yes, conditionally.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll only do it if they don't try to bull**** me. Just ask me for needles and I'll give it to you. Hell, if somebody came up to me and told me it was for heroin, I'd sell it to em because they were honest. Tell me it's for your grandma and I'll start asking questions...what gauge....what type of insulin...what volume. Treat me like I'm naive and you get served.

So my answer is yes, conditionally.

So you'd ask first what they need the syringes for? I've never considered doing that because I don't think it's my business. I think asking questions is a valid approach, though. I'm of the opinion that I want IV drug abusers to get clean needles. I don't want to deter them with intrusive questions. But, then again, I don't want them to be shooting up in the feminine hygiene aisle or in the parking lot. So maybe questions are appropriate in terms of setting limits?

Tell me more.

they gonna shoot up either way. give them the syringes

they get aids, i pay for their meds with my taxes. i rather they pay for their syringes and leave my taxes alone.

Reactions: 1 user
The pharmacist i work with is quite cynical. Since in my city it is technically legal to sell syringes w/o a script, we have people all the time and when we spot the obvious junky we have fun. Normally we'd turn people away since it is store policy not to sell w/o a script, but with junky's we sell them 18 gauge. Its quite hilarious to see their eyes and if they'll actually purchase one.

I sell them to people who I believe are legitimate. One of my old cats was diabetic and I had to buy needles for her. People buying for their pets ask for the correct size needle. I've also had grandmothers buying for grandkids who are visiting for a week before school. I'll sell them 10 packs.

I refused a girl in her twenties who said she was buying needles for her mom. She asked for needles that were not appropriate for insulin, her mom wasn't in the computer, and I saw her wink at her boyfriend right after she gave me her spiel. After I refused, she yelled "so my mom will just die". Right.

I refused a girl in her twenties who said she was buying needles for her mom. She asked for needles that were not appropriate for insulin, her mom wasn't in the computer, and I saw her wink at her boyfriend right after she gave me her spiel. After I refused, she yelled "so my mom will just die". Right.

The junkies I've seen wait until they already have the RX, needles, etc. to smile. Then they have a mood swing of 180[SIZE=-1]°, because they've been "hassled".[/SIZE]
Maybe there's a new low? I can't believe people get excited before you tell them yes!

Assuming that your state laws will allow you to dispense insulin syringes without a prescription, will you do it when it's your decision to do so?

As an intern, I abide by what my pharmacist tells me he/she will allow.
My personal feeling is that I'd rather sell syringes (never just one syringe) to an IV drug abuser than force them to re-use or borrow syringes and risk infection with a blood-borne pathogen. I think it's a public health issue.

What do you guys think?

This is a matter of settled Public Health Law in New York State for the purpose of preventing HIV/Hepatitis C infections in IV drug abusers, and also to allow for the convential use of syringes for diabetics, etc. We just limit the amount of syringes that can be dispensed without a prescription to 10 at max. Some pharmacies also participate in a syringe return program - which encourages proper disposal of syringes. Needless to say, I agree with this law.

After I refused, she yelled "so my mom will just die". Right.

Well, maybe she'll be the one who dies from a dirty needle or spread a HepC/HIV infection because she didn't have a clean one. That's why there are laws on the books that deal with the public health concerns, as well. But it's not just law, it's also professional judgement that looks out for the health/well-being of the patient, even if that patient is not the most courteous or doesn't quite appeal to you. Kinda strange not selling it to her because you thought you saw her 'wink'.

The junkies I've seen wait until they already have the RX, needles, etc. to smile. Then they have a mood swing of 180[SIZE=-1]°, because they've been "hassled".[/SIZE]
Maybe there's a new low? I can't believe people get excited before you tell them yes!

Assumption #1 that she's a junkie and not just using the syringe for a car problem or whatever the use.

Assumption #2- a corollary of #1- is that dgroulx's version of what she saw was actually what had happened. And that a wink really meant I'm putting one over on the pharmacist, versus a regular 'hey honey!'". Sounds to me like a wink for whatever the reason is a deal-breaker these days in health care, eh?

It's important to spot abusers and be vigilant, but at least with regards to controlled substance law, you can't look at every patient as a junkie until proven otherwise. It's in the case-law. Hypervigilance and keeping people from their medications/supplies could end up in dismissal or a courtroom just as much. Pharmacists have actually lost cases regarding being hypervigilant of every prescription. Suppose the patient, or mother actually did have diabetes and couldn't get a syringe that day because you refused to sell it. They'd want to know why, and if the only argument is that a girl was winking at her boyfriend (which happens a lot), that's not really too solid of grounds to stand on... 'She winked at her bf, therefore, she was a drug abuser'. If I were the plaintiff's attorney, I'd rip into that so bad... heh

If you think about it (and many states actually did in their public health laws)- that even if it were a drug abuser- that you'd be doing more of a disservice to the public health of a community by NOT dispensing a normal quantity of syringes than if you did dispense them. There will always be liability in either direction, so that's why it's good when there're laws on the books to direct you, versus personal and pseudo-professional judgements about whether someone is a drug abuser or not from a one time conversation. You'd be surprised who the real drug abusers are. Is it part of the curriculum at your school?

And whoever said 'no' and 'undecided' to a question that says 'if your state law allows it'. Laws, for the most part, direct actions. Those folks would be willing to break the law over this? And not dispense syringes to someone without an Rx- even if that person is in need of them? At the very least, that would increase your liability geometrically. wow...

Members don't see this ad :)
Needless to say, I went with choice #2

Needless to say, I went with choice #2

Funny - I agree with nearly everything you wrote & I went with #1.

I don't care who they use them on or how they use them....I always offer a small syringe disposal box as well $2.50. I care more about WHERE they are after they're used than not having them get them....because they WILL get them - clean or dirty.

Funny - I agree with nearly everything you wrote & I went with #1.

I care more about WHERE they are after they're used than not having them get them....because they WILL get them - clean or dirty.

Exactly how I feel on the issue. But, the difference between #1 and #2 becomes tricky, though- just in terms of the allocation issues involved. Dispensing too many syringes at a time could limit access for diabetics who present prescriptions. There would have to be a limit to it. Box of 10 is the non-Rx standard in some states.

Not dispensing needles to a drug user is as silly as not selling condoms to teenage kids that are going to have sex anyway. The perception that we can eliminate behaviors we don't approve of by removing access to protective items is simply incorrect in many instances.

Exactly how I feel on the issue. But, the difference between #1 and #2 becomes tricky, though- just in terms of the allocation issues involved. Dispensing too many syringes at a time could limit access for diabetics who present prescriptions. There would have to be a limit to it. Box of 10 is the non-Rx standard in some states.

True, true. I always have enough to give on any given day. Most aren't too picky about the size, type, etc & they're good to me - they let me give out the old needles no one uses anymore;).

Seriously - I give out perhaps a bag of 10 per day. I'm not in a high IV drug traffic area. My clientiele (sp??) are more along the lines of the constantly "runny nose" variety;).

My IV drug abusers are always willing to buy the syringes - not so much the disposal container. So...that's my gift to them - they get one no matter what!

Not dispensing needles to a drug user is as silly as not selling condoms to teenage kids that are going to have sex anyway. The perception that we can eliminate behaviors we don't approve of by removing access to protective items is simply incorrect in many instances.

So true.

Similarly, you might as well give your chest to a pirate, because he won't sleep until he gets your booty.

ARRRRGHHHH!

I sell them to people who I believe are legitimate. One of my old cats was diabetic and I had to buy needles for her. People buying for their pets ask for the correct size needle. I've also had grandmothers buying for grandkids who are visiting for a week before school. I'll sell them 10 packs.

In NY, we have to sell the needles regardless of whatever reason they are using it for, even if it is clear they are junkies. The reason for this is to prevent the reuse of dirty needles. I agree with this law 100 percent and believe it should become federal. It is actually one of the few laws i agree with here in NY since it is so conservative. Professionally, at least for myself, I would have given it to them even if they disrespected me in that way. I would also counsel them really quickly and tell them they really dont have to lie (but that might just put them on the defensive side) hmm.

I always ask to see proof of a Rx of insulin or some other med they need needles for. If they say it is at another pharmacy out of town, I tell them that I would be more than happy to call the pharmacy and ask them. They usually just say, "No, that's okay," and then they leave. If they want it bad enough, they'll let me call

If they want it bad enough, they'll let me call

You can't call a pharmacy if the patient doesn't take subq medications. They won't have a record.
If the patient takes injectable medicine, then they should let you call. It would be in their best interest.
Most likely, they don't want you to call because they don't have a medical condition, and they just want the syringes "no questions asked".

I always ask to see proof of a Rx of insulin or some other med they need needles for. If they say it is at another pharmacy out of town, I tell them that I would be more than happy to call the pharmacy and ask them. They usually just say, "No, that's okay," and then they leave. If they want it bad enough, they'll let me call

I am guessing based on your state law, you need a prescription for needles. The topic was for assuming your state law will allow you to dispense it without a prescription. Would you still do it knowing that if the person is buying it regardless if he or she has a medical condition or not? The reason why some states (ny) allows us to dispense needles without prescription is to prevent the transmission of HIV and other diseases thru used needles.

Having been a tech for a year and a half and now going into pharmacy school, I haven't looked at the law myself to find out what it says. However, the pharmacists I've worked with says it is not against the law, but is apprehensive about selling them. They say they want proof of some medical condition or medication for it to be sold.

Y'all remind me of the parents who let the kids drink in the basement because they are going to drink anyways. There was a news story about this on fox news today. Mom let her kid and friends drink at her home so they wouldn't be drinking elsewhere. I understand the pros and cons of selling needles without a RX. My way of seeing it, it is a no win situation.

There is one independent pharmacy in town that has (or used to have) the needles out in front of the store and you didn't even need to talk to the pharmacy staff

Y'all remind me of the parents who let the kids drink in the basement because they are going to drink anyways. There was a news story about this on fox news today. Mom let her kid and friends drink at her home so they wouldn't be drinking elsewhere. I understand the pros and cons of selling needles without a RX. My way of seeing it, it is a no win situation.

There is one independent pharmacy in town that has (or used to have) the needles out in front of the store and you didn't even need to talk to the pharmacy staff

I think your analogy is really far into black and white thinking. It's not like anyone in this forum advocates setting up a room at the back of the pharmacy where addicts can go to use their syringes after we sell them.

I also think it's irresponsible of the pharmacy in your town to give out syringes without involving the pharmacy staff. If a customer is a known IV drug abuser (not just suspected) then that contact with a pharmacist when she comes to pick up her syringes may be the only contact she has with a healthcare provider.

For example, a friend is a pharmacist in another state in an urban area with a lot of crushing poverty and the drug problems that come along with it. He has a handful of "patients" (his word) that come in to pick up syringes. He always spends a little time with them to make sure that they're OK. He called an ambulance for one who was blue and clearly in distress. He sent another to urgent care for an abscess in his arm. I'm going to visit my friend in his pharmacy next week. I can't wait to see it first hand. He has crazy stories.

In NY, we have to sell the needles regardless of whatever reason they are using it for, even if it is clear they are junkies. The reason for this is to prevent the reuse of dirty needles. I agree with this law 100 percent and believe it should become federal. It is actually one of the few laws i agree with here in NY since it is so conservative. Professionally, at least for myself, I would have given it to them even if they disrespected me in that way. I would also counsel them really quickly and tell them they really dont have to lie (but that might just put them on the defensive side) hmm.

Yeah. Anyone that doesn't sell needles to someone who is clearly a junkie with the thinking that if they don't have the needles then they won't shoot up is kidding themselves. They'll just reuse what they have or borrow from other users. As a pharmacist you don't have the power to stop a junkie from being a junkie but you may have the power to stop a junkie from getting or passing on Hep C and/or HIV.

hey my pharmacist, says i shouldnt so i dont. On occasion that pharmacist has been absent so one day i did sale a 10 pack to a guy....boy did i regret that!..The next day when the pharm. who told not to returned to work, we experienced a parade of junkies wanting needles lolol. He wondered since he always says no to suspicous charact. y would his pharmacy get overwhelmed, i pretended not to know a thing!!:confused:..

In Illinois we have a state law that we can only sell 20 syringes at a time without a prescription.

Regular & NPH Insulin is OTC - even in TX - right Zpak?

I had a pt move to TX who is a diabetic & could get her insulin & syringes easily without me transferring her rxs. No need to pay a dispensing fee (she was Medicaid & hadn't yet qualified in TX).

Personally, I think the question is - is your job to be an "enforcer" or an "educator". I don't use that judgementally, really!

I find the current PSE laws to force me to be an "enforcer" which I don't agree with & will actively give my negative opinion on when my pt will complain about signing. I still have them sign since I have to abide by a law, altho misguided I think it might be.

With the syringe laws, at least in CA, we have tremendous liberty. I use that liberty to "educate" rather than "enforce". I don't have much impact in the little time I have with them, but I do try to educate about resources & I have "given away", without charge, the disposal containers so they impact fewer people who might come on their poorly disposed needles.

I don't criticize those who choose to feel it is their responsibility to limit drug abuse, but be careful you don't break any laws doing it. Some have found that they don't believe in Plan B, so didn't sell it.....which caused lawsuits.

You don't want your personal beliefs to interfere with those "rights" pts might have. I truly don't know what the syringe laws are in states other than CA, but I don't need to know the use & I try to use the opportunity to interact & educate. Be sure you find out what your laws allow your patients & find that if you can't abide by them, you give your employer notice before you are in the position of being compromised.

When it comes to syringes, here in CA my pharmacists and I can sell them without a prescription. My pharmacist just usually asks me to ask them if they have any injectibles on file or if it's at a diff pharmacy, then I'd call for them. I called once for someone who did not mind at all (it took only 2 minutes). Recently, I've just used a log to document who picked up a box of syringe.

I do not tolerate IV junkies. When it comes to IV drug abuse, I'm an "enforcer," not an educator. As cold and harsh as it may sound, I (like my pharmacists), just want them off "my" property (pharmacy) and be able to operate the pharmacy smoothly for the whole day!! Things can get pretty hectic in retail! If we let one IV junkie get them at our pharmacy, then they'll tell their friends and pretty soon we'l be attracting a large crowd of "bad" people and if we upset these "bad" people (SOMEHOW), it can be a lot of ruckus!

I try to steer myself away from problems--in this case, not attracting junkies. If it means more IV drug abusers dying, so be it--it was their choice to eff up their lives, not mine. Now, they are more than welcome to come to me to ask for health advice but I won't make their IV drug abuse lives easier by providing them easier access to needles. I've got myself, my family, and my close friends and (polite) patients to care about--one too many. :thumbup:

Regular & NPH Insulin is OTC - even in TX - right Zpak?

I had a pt move to TX who is a diabetic & could get her insulin & syringes easily without me transferring her rxs. No need to pay a dispensing fee (she was Medicaid & hadn't yet qualified in TX).

I thiiiink only regular is OTC. I Think, and I emphasize think, not know, that NPH insulin is RX only

but I'm probably wrong

I thiiiink o nly regular is OTC. I Think, and I emphasize think, not know, that NPH insulin is RX only

but I'm probably wrong

Only the "-log" (humalog, novolog, humalog mix, etc.) and lantus insulins require a prescription.

As a diabetic for over 20 years now, I've been refused syringes multiple times, even though the law doesn't require a prescription for purchasing syringes in my state. Having never used any illegal substances before, I find this highly humiliating and a hassle that I shouldn't have to deal with.

I once had to drive 30 miles to another pharmacy, simply because the locally-owned pharmacy that I had been using was forced out of business by a big-box pharmacy which refused to sell to me without a prescription. To make matters worse, I was on my way to work and needed them for my daily injection, so I had no choice but to make the drive and be late that day.

I now make that 30 minute drive each time I need supplies, because I refuse to buy from the big-box that refused to sell to me without just cause.

I dont like confrontation so i ask them a few questions about their "use" of needles...and they are legitimate questions. I will ask politely what medicine they are injecting and if they tell me insulin, i will ask which insulin and how many units. I want to sell them the right size needles...:) the "legitimate" users know there dosage and insulin or their B-12shot or whatever. Some patients show me their license that says insulin dependent and i ask no questions. Some bring in their insulin bottle and their are no questions asked. I do not sell them to the grandmas, nephews, brothers second cousin whose dad went to schhol with his friend...So far ive had 2 people shoot up in our bathrooms...scum...so now i am just more careful and i dont waste my time calling other pharmacies to verify. I would hate to inconvience a patient that truly needs them but i also dont want to contribute to a drug users "high". It really is a no win situation.

As a diabetic for over 20 years now, I've been refused syringes multiple times, even though the law doesn't require a prescription for purchasing syringes in my state. Having never used any illegal substances before, I find this highly humiliating and a hassle that I shouldn't have to deal with.

I once had to drive 30 miles to another pharmacy, simply because the locally-owned pharmacy that I had been using was forced out of business by a big-box pharmacy which refused to sell to me without a prescription. To make matters worse, I was on my way to work and needed them for my daily injection, so I had no choice but to make the drive and be late that day.

I now make that 30 minute drive each time I need supplies, because I refuse to buy from the big-box that refused to sell to me without just cause.
That is a real shame that you experienced that. You shouldn't have had to go through anything like that. At my pharmacy, as long as you know what you are taking and the units, i will sell you the appropriate needles. I once asked a potential "user" what insulin he was using and he just stared at me for 5 seconds and said "..ok, you got me...its not for insulin...i just need them".

In all seriousness, it really is a no win situation and it's the diabetic or B-12 shot user that loses. It really is a shame.

I am guessing based on your state law, you need a prescription for needles. The topic was for assuming your state law will allow you to dispense it without a prescription. Would you still do it knowing that if the person is buying it regardless if he or she has a medical condition or not? The reason why some states (ny) allows us to dispense needles without prescription is to prevent the transmission of HIV and other diseases thru used needles.

Out of curiosity, is there a lower incidence of HIV or other disease transmission since this law was enacted? Do drug users really dispose of their needles appropriately? I was an intern in NYS when this law was enacted and I understood the law and the point of it, but what's the incidence of transmission now. I may be judgemental but it just seems to me that when a drug user is high his last worries are "hhmmm i have to dispose of my needle appropriatley now...". Just looking for some answers and not really to pick a fight:)

I only ask questions if they treat me like I'm an idiot. just ask for 31 guage 1/2 cc needles, and I'll give 'em to you.

You mean I cant ask for U-100 needles and get what you describe???:D

Out of curiosity, is there a lower incidence of HIV or other disease transmission since this law was enacted? Do drug users really dispose of their needles appropriately? I was an intern in NYS when this law was enacted and I understood the law and the point of it, but what's the incidence of transmission now. I may be judgemental but it just seems to me that when a drug user is high his last worries are "hhmmm i have to dispose of my needle appropriatley now...". Just looking for some answers and not really to pick a fight:)

I can't tell you the incidence of needle sticks resulting in HIV exposure, but the number of needle sticks all by themselves have been reduced dramatically.

Give out the disposal container free - it costs about $3 & it could save endless lives and the syringe wont be stuck in the sand aroung the merry-go-round in the park!

If you don't give them clean needles, they'll find them somewhere! At least give them a place to put the dirty ones.

I can't tell you the incidence of needle sticks resulting in HIV exposure, but the number of needle sticks all by themselves have been reduced dramatically.

Give out the disposal container free - it costs about $3 & it could save endless lives and the syringe wont be stuck in the sand aroung the merry-go-round in the park!

If you don't give them clean needles, they'll find them somewhere! At least give them a place to put the dirty ones.

:thumbup:

I'll sell it to them if they know the medicine (legal) they are injecting and also sometimes the # of units or ccs they are injecting.

This is something I take a firm stance on. I'm not a retail pharmacist but if I were I would sell them to people no matter what.

I used to work in a rough neighborhood as an intern and we turned away druggies who wanted clean needles without even telling them where the needle exchange program is. It just pissed me off.

Clinton initiated the needle exchange program and at the time people were shocked. They didn't want to think about people doing drugs but it happens. But as a result, HIV transmission via needles went down tremendously.

I, like many people, don't like the thought of people injecting themselves with drugs that could kill them but would rather help them with risk reduction rather than turn a blind eye at the entire situation.

This is something I take a firm stance on. I'm not a retail pharmacist but if I were I would sell them to people no matter what.

I used to work in a rough neighborhood as an intern and we turned away druggies who wanted clean needles without even telling them where the needle exchange program is. It just pissed me off.

That would bother me too...
You have a good moral conscience and one consistent with a practical public health perspective that may actually save lives and help fight against HIV/Hep C blood-to-blood transmission.

The folks who would give anyone looking to buy a syringe a diabetes quiz do not understand some of the major health concerns involved. Anyone could buy an OTC insulin, and unless you're going to do some random blood tests on folks, it's a very arbitrary method of deciding who will live and who will die from a viral killer. They may think they have smart and keen methods of dealing with such a situation, but really, each is a very random decision when they decide not to dispense a clean syringe. Because there will always be a dirty syringe that is attainable, and by not referring the person to a syringe exchange program, that pharmacist did not do his/her public health duty.

I work at a pharmacy in Palm Beach County, Florida, where you only need a prescription for syringes if you are a minor. In Broward and Miami-Dade counties directly to the South, everyone requires a prescription. So we get a lot of migrating junkies pestering us for 30cc syringes (yes, they've asked for 30, 50, and 100 CC syringes). Usually they're buying it for a diabetic grandmother who, upon inquiry, uses Humulog Q. Naturally, we're wary of anyone asking for syringes unless they are a regular and have had diabetic supplies/medicine filled before. Some of our floaters simply say no syringes at all without prescription (and that is totally their right). Others, most of which are diabetic themselves, will dispense to anyone.

Personally, I say only diabetics should have access to insulin syringes. Anyone who is legitimately a diabetic can easily get a dedicated Diabetic ID or an "Insulin Dependent" caption put on their driver's license. That is the first thing I ask for when someone comes for syringes. Failing that, I check if they have had insulin or syringes filled before at any pharmacy. The last line is the Insulin Quiz. "What kind of insulin do you use and how many units per day". Usual responses are a mishmash of diabetic terms or just flat out "You can buy syringes without a prescription. If you don't sell them to me YOU'RE BREAING THE LAW *various profanity* FINE *leaves*"

As for the junkies, I know it sounds callous, but there's a thing called natural selection. If they bring out their own death due to their own stupidity by using drugs and contracting deadly diseases, we can only hope they do it before they have kids.

As for the junkies, I know it sounds callous, but there's a thing called natural selection. If they bring out their own death due to their own stupidity by using drugs and contracting deadly diseases, we can only hope they do it before they have kids.

Drugs have nothing to do with natural selection.

I work at a pharmacy in Palm Beach County, Florida, where you only need a prescription for syringes if you are a minor. In Broward and Miami-Dade counties directly to the South, everyone requires a prescription. So we get a lot of migrating junkies pestering us for 30cc syringes (yes, they've asked for 30, 50, and 100 CC syringes). Usually they're buying it for a diabetic grandmother who, upon inquiry, uses Humulog Q. Naturally, we're wary of anyone asking for syringes unless they are a regular and have had diabetic supplies/medicine filled before. Some of our floaters simply say no syringes at all without prescription (and that is totally their right). Others, most of which are diabetic themselves, will dispense to anyone.

Personally, I say only diabetics should have access to insulin syringes. Anyone who is legitimately a diabetic can easily get a dedicated Diabetic ID or an "Insulin Dependent" caption put on their driver's license. That is the first thing I ask for when someone comes for syringes. Failing that, I check if they have had insulin or syringes filled before at any pharmacy. The last line is the Insulin Quiz. "What kind of insulin do you use and how many units per day". Usual responses are a mishmash of diabetic terms or just flat out "You can buy syringes without a prescription. If you don't sell them to me YOU'RE BREAING THE LAW *various profanity* FINE *leaves*"

How odd! I give out syringes for Vit B-12, methotrexate, eogen, procrit, antigen down grading, Enbrel & Humira (when those syringe pens give out)......

The idea is to contain USED syringes. The syringes are out there & available easily - used or clean. There are many, many reasons beyond insulin in which a syringe might have a valid use. If we can hit this 2 ways - keep clean needles commonplace (we reduce the spread of disease) & if we give out syringe containers (we lessen the chance of innocent sticks.)

But, I do know a syringe has no business in a school or park sandbox - which is where it might end up if you turn away those people you judge not worthy. In which case, it might just be your child with a needle stick who could be subject to natural selection......

Wow...

like are you a pharmacist, intern, or tech?

I will never understand pharmacists or people that are vigilant about not selling syringes to anyone that looks remotely sketchy. The "If we don't sell them needles, we are preventing people from taking drugs" is so incredibly short sighted for reasons sdn1977 discussed above. I happen to work in Broward County and I find the county law idiotic. Always have. I look at the current AIDS rates for Dade & Broward counties (which are close the the highest in the nation) and always wonder if the number would be less if we didn't have the needle law. I understand that South Florida probably has more homosexual action than any geographical area east of San Francisco but I still think the needle law plays a big role in the numbers.

I've dated two type-I diabetics. In Arizona R and NPH are both OTC. I believe one of my boyfriends was able to get Humalog in North Carolina without a Rx.

The current boyfriend has been hassled when buying needles.

I've been involved with needle exchange programs and I think they are fantastic. It scares me to think that some of my colleagues don't see the reduction in infection rate possibilities. A junkie is going to have to be pretty desperate to be using insulin syringes - has anyone else ever tried to stick themselves with one? I admit it, I was bored, and in my situation have ready access to insulin syringes. I'm pretty sure you would only be able to get the purest stuff through that small a gauge and a needle that small barely got any venous access and I have beautiful veins. I had a blood draw earlier that day and they had trouble, so I wanted to see if I could do it.