Third Party Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acetyl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a discussion about how third party insurances have changed over the last few decades. Especially for the veterans on the board, could you discuss what you've witnessed over the years.

I have been told by older pharmacists that pharmacy used to extremely lucrative because there were not any 3rd party insurance companies, and the politics involved were much more minimal than they are now. Everyone used to pay cash, but with the high cost of drugs it's just not a plausible now. I heard there used to be no 'dispensing fees' and the average whole sale price used by insurance companies to reimburse the retailer didn't exist either. What other things have changed?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh - goodness.....this is a long & very difficult discussion since it is changing so much.

I'll try to get back & give a more cohesive summary of what limited knowledge I know when I'm not quite so tired - I've worked 12 hours today so I'm beat.

But, I can give you a summary of how things have changed over the last 10 years in retail. Prior to that, I never did any retail at all except for a bit here & there.

I'm still not very much in retail since I'm still in hospital work, but I do have my ear more to the ground on what is going on politically. I can give you what happened when hospitals stopped dispensing discharge medications - which, IMO started a whole slew of problems.

But - I'll get back to you - ok?

Old Timer has had retail pharamcy experience his whole professsional career, so he can give you a longer perspective than I can.

But - as my governor has been known to say - I WILL BE BACK!:D

You're still hard at it these days...12 hours?

I wonder if 'ol Zpack knows anything about the evolution of rx insurance.