Psy D Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych101grad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are considered the top PsyD programs? Especially in the New York area? Does anyone know if any offer funding?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in the PsyD program at C.W. Post/LIU. It isn't the top program in the country but it is pretty well respected, especially in New York. It also has fairly selective admissions (about 15% of applicants), small class size (mine is 16), and high APA intership match rates (in the 80% area). As far as funding goes - only about a third of the tuition is funded with an assistantship. If you're looking into PsyD programs in the New York area you won't find a fully funded program - even Rutgers is going to cost you something. If you are interested in practice but want funding also, look into some of the practice-oriented PhD programs in New York like St. Johns, Adelphi, Long Island University, Fairleigh Dickenson, maybe Hofstra.

Another PsyD program in New York that has a decent reputaion is Pace University (more for child-school psych), but they don't offer much funding.
Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Huh, I was under the impression that Rutgers and Baylor were both fully-funded programs (or close enough as made no real difference anyways). Is that not the case? Their acceptance rates are about on par with an average PhD program, which I'd think would be the most limiting factor for many PsyD programs as far as funding is concerned.

Let's check the numbers. According to the Rutger's student handbook, students who receive assistanceships (and I'm not sure if everyone receives one) get both a tuition waiver plus a stipend. The stipend is (currently) $14,300 for first year students, but it doesn't mention the amount for later years (I'm assuming the stipend would stay the same or increase, but I'm not sure.) Provided that most students do get assistanceships, and that the stipend doesn't decrease significantly after first year, then you could theoretically graduate with no debt. :)

Their acceptance rates are about on par with an average PhD program
Just for the record, their acceptance rates are probably more selective than an average PhD program (it's like 3%).

I have a friend who just started at Rutgers and he is NOT getting the full $14 thousand assistantship; I think he is getting 4 or 5 thousand.
he is also still a resident of New york (it takes a year to get residency in NJ) so he is paying the out of state rate (something like $20+ grand a year). Once he gets residency in NJ he will be paying significantly less, but it is still not fully funded for him.

Nope, it seems to be about average to me.

Last year it was 556 applicants for 26 openings based off the Rutgers website. Even assuming EVERYONE who is accepted agrees to attend (unlikely even for that great a school:) ) that's 4.67%.

The school I'm attending was only about mid-range in terms of competitiveness of the places I applied and has a lower acceptance rate. Maybe if you count the few professional schools and their ilk that offer PhDs it will throw your acceptance averages off a bit, but otherwise 5% seems about spot on. That's just of the schools I looked at though (which was a lot, but far from all) so its certainly possible my numbers are off.

Maybe it would be better if I had said Rutgers acceptance rate would be about average for the schools I was considering attending.

Forgot to comment on the funding though - that IS interesting, I definitely thought they funded everyone. I wonder why that is? They don't accept an extraordinary number of students or anything (26, but its spaced across 3 programs).

Last year it was 556 applicants for 26 openings based off the Rutgers website. Even assuming EVERYONE who is accepted agrees to attend (unlikely even for that great a school:) ) that's 4.67%.

The school I'm attending was only about mid-range in terms of competitiveness of the places I applied and has a lower acceptance rate. Maybe if you count the few professional schools and their ilk that offer PhDs it will throw your acceptance averages off a bit, but otherwise 5% seems about spot on

Do you think the acceptance rate is a bit higher for other areas in psych (ie: cognitive or developmental) compared to clinical?

Not think, know:) Its a fact that it is (albeit not by a very large amount).

That being said, I checked my numbers and apparently I just happen to be drawn to very competitive schools. I swear I looked at the numbers for probably around 50 schools and most hovered around 5, but apparently the average as of 2005 was more like 10% according to an article by McFall, so I stand corrected and you all have my apologies.

I don't feel like going to recreate that and see if some outliers are driving the mean up, but I'm hard-pressed to think of a single school I looked at that hit double digits for acceptance. Suffice it to say, that mean seems very high to me compared to most of the numbers I see.

Especially Yale's 0.8% That was my crapshoot school;)

No problem.
My assessment was probably based on the fact that I applied to mostly average programs. I guess my standards aren't that high:D.