AACOMAS Grade Calculation spreadsheet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lokhtar

Dreaming about the lions
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought people might find this useful. This is version 1, so let me know if something isn't working.

It allows for semester/quarter and will also calculate your gpa by year (freshman, sophomore, etc) and science/non-science if you want to enter it.

UPDATED: Ability to figure out what GPA you need to get to achieve your goal GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• AACOMAS.xls
    155.5 KB · Views: 5,659
Well, I thought someone might find it useful. :p

Any suggestions are welcome for improvement.

I'm trying it out right now thanks,

ps- I noticed you recieved a B+ in Adult Entertainment Analysis, that is disappointing, I guess you didn't do the extra credit huh?:corny:

Members don't see this ad :)
My coordination was off.

Interesting... what if you have a retake, for example, that you took the first time as a freshman and the latest time as a senior. Would you mark it as "freshman," or as "senior,"?

Interesting... what if you have a retake, for example, that you took the first time as a freshman and the latest time as a senior. Would you mark it as "freshman," or as "senior,"?

Senior.

Well in the real application, you'd put both of them down, and put an 'R1' next to both of them to signify a repeat. Though schools will see both grades, the final GPA calculated will only include the later of the two courses (whereas with allo schools, the two grades are averaged).

Also, though math classes are not counted under science for AACOMAS, Engineering courses are counted as science, which screws some of us Engineering majors over if we did badly our first year or so. My allo GPA will likely be quite a bit higher than my osteo GPA. Sucks completely, heh. Though the upside is that is is much easier to improve your GPA using AACOMAS, as if you just start retaking courses, your GPA will improve twice as fast (as one bad grade wouldn't count in addition to another better grade counting).

Anybody know HOW AACOMAS calculates GPAs. I know they subdivide into Sci, Nonsci, Overall. BUT: I have an undergrad GPA and then a Graduate-GPA. Do they calculate them SEPARATELY or do they lump them all into one "GPA"? (I hope to God its NOT the latter!). Anyone's help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. --Gee00.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know HOW AACOMAS calculates GPAs. I know they subdivide into Sci, Nonsci, Overall. BUT: I have an undergrad GPA and then a Graduate-GPA. Do they calculate them SEPARATELY or do they lump them all into one "GPA"? (I hope to God its NOT the latter!). Anyone's help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. --Gee00.

They're separate. I believe you can see your GPAs in each category lumped together but they do calculate them separately.

Thank you EEL08 for the good news.

I've put a new version up - you can now enter your goal GPA and figure out what you need to get on the rest of your credits.

I've put a new version up - you can now enter your goal GPA and figure out what you need to get on the rest of your credits.

So where is the new version?

kick @ss calculator...I saved it on my PC

I looked at the new version, does the # credits cell under the goal gpa cell mean quarter credits or semester credits?

good job Lokhtar!
By the way, I know Biology, Chemistry, and Physics are obviously included in the science gpa but what about other sciences? My major was wildlife science and I have several of those courses. Are they science too?

I looked at the new version, does the # credits cell under the goal gpa cell mean quarter credits or semester credits?

Semester, if you want to make it quarter credits, take the # credits you have and times it by .7 (that's your semester equivilent) and put those there.

So if you want to calculate the goal GPA for 100 quarter credits, just do 100*.7 = 70, and put 70 in goal credits.

good job Lokhtar!
By the way, I know Biology, Chemistry, and Physics are obviously included in the science gpa but what about other sciences? My major was wildlife science and I have several of those courses. Are they science too?

I believe that will count as science as well.

Works great, thanks for putting in the time Lokhtar.

Great calculator!

Thanks for posting it. :)

what would A 3.2 be considered as? I mean cause I know a 3.3 is a B+, I emailed aacomas so I guess i'll just wait 4 their reply

Last edited:
...Also, though math classes are not counted under science for AACOMAS

THEY AREN'T?! :xf: I always thought BCPM gpa was bio/chem/physics/math?? Not for DO schools? oh my lord, that would make me so happy.

yep, no math scores...can be a real boost for the BCP that DO schools look at

THEY AREN'T?! :xf: I always thought BCPM gpa was bio/chem/physics/math?? Not for DO schools? oh my lord, that would make me so happy.

The BCPM gpa ONLY applies to MD schools; DO schools have a general science GPA that includes many science-based subjects. You can found out what would count towards your science GPA on AACOMAS' website.

I'm glad I found this thread when I did my search. Thanks for posting this Lokhtar!

For some reason I was having trouble with it calculating my junior grades, I looked and the formula wasn't right. Instead of =SUM(V6:V223) it had =SUM(V6:V23). So if anyone is having any other trouble, this might be why. Other than that, it's great! :). Thanks. Although it really irks my nerves that a B+ is 3.3 and not 3.5, since my school doesn't give minus grades and a B+ is calculated as 3.5 for us. I think I might enter my plus grades as X.5 into AACOMAS :rolleyes:

Can you enter it as X.5's because Rutgers doesn't give the minus grades and for example B+ is 3.5 not 3.3. I feel it is a disadvantage if we can't enter X.5's. I prolly will do the same as you Poet.

For some reason I was having trouble with it calculating my junior grades, I looked and the formula wasn't right. Instead of =SUM(V6:V223) it had =SUM(V6:V23). So if anyone is having any other trouble, this might be why. Other than that, it's great! :). Thanks. Although it really irks my nerves that a B+ is 3.3 and not 3.5, since my school doesn't give minus grades and a B+ is calculated as 3.5 for us. I think I might enter my plus grades as X.5 into AACOMAS :rolleyes:

Yeah, I had that same problem too. Looking back, it was kind of funny..Kind of an Office Space moment...I think the problem might exist for the senior and post-bacc grades too, but I'm not sure. At any rate, it's an easy fix.

When you designate a course as freshman, sophomore, junior, senior...do you use the undergraduate designation, or does this mean when you actually took the class.

I took some senior level (5000) courses as a freshman and a freshman (2000) level course as a senior. I suppose I could try to break down my transcripts and figure out when I was a sophomore, junior, senior etc...

When you designate a course as freshman, sophomore, junior, senior...do you use the undergraduate designation, or does this mean when you actually took the class.

I took some senior level (5000) courses as a freshman and a freshman (2000) level course as a senior. I suppose I could try to break down my transcripts and figure out when I was a sophomore, junior, senior etc...

It means when you actually took the class (first, second, third, fourth year of college). The transcript should already be divided into semesters/years, no?

It means when you actually took the class (first, second, third, fourth year of college). The transcript should already be divided into semesters/years, no?
I will check it out...I think my transcript is broken down into what semester etc. I will figure out what 'year' I was based on the total number of credits I had at the time.

I will check it out...I think my transcript is broken down into what semester etc. I will figure out what 'year' I was based on the total number of credits I had at the time.

What year you were isn't based on number of credits as long as you were full-time; it's just literally a year. If you were part-time or otherwise non-traditional, that's a different story I suppose.

Here's a bump to those who need it. :):)

What about the credit/no credit courses? Do I enter it in? and then input CR?

The spreadsheet is to give you a rough idea of your GPA calculation. If you're also applying on the MD side I'd recommend copying and pasting the file and naming each AACOMAS or AMCAS. There is no difference in the GPA calculation except for repeats and the lack of the math courses being counted in the "science" GPA for AACOMAS.

Wow, thank you for taking the time to make this

If my school doesn't use the +/- system of grading, do I just disregard it? Is that how AACOMAS look at it?

this is a great tool!! thanks so much!

and ya..i have a questions like batmang..does AACOMAS look at -? we have - but no plus..ya its a PITA

this is a great tool!! thanks so much!

and ya..i have a questions like batmang..does AACOMAS look at -? we have - but no plus..ya its a PITA

AACOMAS will use the grade on your transcript. That sucks that your school does not give +'s

I've got a few AACOM questions of my own regarding coursework:

1. Is Sociology considered a 'behavioral science', 'non-science' or 'other science'?

2. I took a chemistry course my sophmore year and then repeated it my senior year. How would I mark both courses? Would one be 'exempt' and the other a 'repeat 01' or are both marked 'repeat 01'?

3. Would Anatomy & Physiology fall under 'behavioral science' or 'bio/zoology'?

Thanks for any and everyone's input! :)

My school didn't give A+'s, an A was the best mark you could get. Recieving an A is a 4.0, an A- is a 3.7, a B+ is a 3.3... etc. How will that work out for me when I get to the AACOMAS?:confused:

My school didn't give A+'s, an A was the best mark you could get. Recieving an A is a 4.0, an A- is a 3.7, a B+ is a 3.3... etc. How will that work out for me when I get to the AACOMAS?:confused:

A+ and A's are worth the same points.