Medical Insurance for Canadian students in Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations regarding obtaining medical travel insurance for Canadian students in Ireland? What is the cheapest option?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you from Ontario? If you go into an OHIP office you can get your Canadian medical insurance covered for the whole year you're away. But you need something pretty official from your school saying you're enrolled. That will cover you for the Canadian cost of any procedure. So if you need emergency brain surgery over in Ireland they'll pay their cost for that but you have to make up the difference with additional insurance or out of pocket.

A lot of people don't have any extra insurance. Since you'll know lots of doctors you'll never have to pay for any minor stuff. No one I know who's gone to the ER here has ever got a bill for it. Most family doctors don't charge medical students either. You're taking a risk having to make up the difference if you're in a car accident or something. For anything else that's serious you'd usually fly back home to take care of it anyway. I looked into the additional insurance and it wasn't cheap so I'm taking the risk!

Are you from Ontario? If you go into an OHIP office you can get your Canadian medical insurance covered for the whole year you're away. But you need something pretty official from your school saying you're enrolled. That will cover you for the Canadian cost of any procedure. So if you need emergency brain surgery over in Ireland they'll pay their cost for that but you have to make up the difference with additional insurance or out of pocket.

A lot of people don't have any extra insurance. Since you'll know lots of doctors you'll never have to pay for any minor stuff. No one I know who's gone to the ER here has ever got a bill for it. Most family doctors don't charge medical students either. You're taking a risk having to make up the difference if you're in a car accident or something. For anything else that's serious you'd usually fly back home to take care of it anyway. I looked into the additional insurance and it wasn't cheap so I'm taking the risk!

Actually, there is no risk. As a long term student studying in Ireland you are completely covered by the public health care system. Find a GP in the area that does not charge medical students and go to that person for care. For hospital stays, testing etc you are covered by the public system. I needed an MRI last year, and then a follow-up this fall, and both were delivered in a timely manner (within 3 weeks of the referal for a non-urgent MRI) at no cost to me. You are also eligible for the drugs payment scheme once you have a PPS number (go to the social welfare office and apply - it's like a SIN). There is no need to get insurance except for the trips you take to other placed in Europe (you might not need it for them either - not sure - but I always get it just in case).
You do need to let your province of residence know you are here as a student though, as you can get cut off grom benefits at home once you have been here 6 months (or when they find out). Just get the Uni to write a note saying you are a student and fax it to them every fall (must send mine in to MSI, come to think of it).
Cheers,
M

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't know we were covered here under the public system. Good to know - my mother will sleep better at night!

Thanks for your replies, I am a little bit confused though, as the information I obtained from the Irish Embassy states that Canadian students in Ireland have to have proof of full medical coverage when arriving into Ireland, as well as a passport that is valid for full 5 years of study? Did anyone have to present this info upon arrival to customs?

Thanks for your replies, I am a little bit confused though, as the information I obtained from the Irish Embassy states that Canadian students in Ireland have to have proof of full medical coverage when arriving into Ireland, as well as a passport that is valid for full 5 years of study? Did anyone have to present this info upon arrival to customs?

In a word, no.
I had to present my passport as per usual custom when entering another country. Mine expires in August, but since I have a Garda card (immigration card) they barely looked at it anyway. I have never had to present proof of insurance. Do have your acceptance letter from the university handy so you can support your clain to be coming for the purposes of study. Cheers,
M

This is my first time going to Ireland, and don't have the immigration card yet, did you have any trouble with customs or any special paperwork/requests when you first came?

I wouldnt worry about it. Just your passport and acceptance letter will get you through customs fine. You have a month to go to the garda office and get an immigration card. GOod luck.

This is my first time going to Ireland, and don't have the immigration card yet, did you have any trouble with customs or any special paperwork/requests when you first came?

I had no problems. They made me wait to one side while they processed everyone else, mainly because there were a lot of people and they didn't want to hold them up. I must have looked really pathetic (I hadn't slept for about 4 days at that point for a variety of reasons mostly to do with packing up my life and being disorganized) and after a few minutes the guy came over and reassured me that I wasn't about to be deported, he just wanted to clear everyone else out first. He was super nice (wished me well on my exams, remembered me when I came through at Christmas!), and so has everyone else I have ever had to deal with in the immigration department. Don't sweat it!
Cheers,
M

I had no problems. They made me wait to one side while they processed everyone else, mainly because there were a lot of people and they didn't want to hold them up. I must have looked really pathetic (I hadn't slept for about 4 days at that point for a variety of reasons mostly to do with packing up my life and being disorganized) and after a few minutes the guy came over and reassured me that I wasn't about to be deported, he just wanted to clear everyone else out first. He was super nice (wished me well on my exams, remembered me when I came through at Christmas!), and so has everyone else I have ever had to deal with in the immigration department. Don't sweat it!
Cheers,
M

That's very comforting...thanks for that post :)