2007-2008-What should I do thread? (where to accept, apply, and chances!) Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats aren't bad, but they're not hot, either. I'll be applying as an OOS candidate for every school this year. In addition, I also retook a class, so I'll have that blackmark on my transcript as well. ugh. Most people I know who got in w/ retakes also have a master's degree or 30+ mcat to counter that.

Most schools, esp. the east coast schools, have an 8-8-8 minimum mcat policy, and I've met that mark, but I'm afraid I'll regret later if I didn't do everything I could right now to put my best foot forward. Minimum scores aren't a death wish, but it's not exactly gonna win me any cool points with the adcom, either This means retaking my 27 mcat even tho I hate the beast and it's gonna cost me another arm (and a week's worth of working at minimum wage).

Is this smart? Or just a bad move from wigging out?

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats aren't bad, but they're not hot, either. I'll be applying as an OOS candidate for every school this year. In addition, I also retook a class, so I'll have that blackmark on my transcript as well. ugh. Most people I know who got in w/ retakes also have a master's degree or 30+ mcat to counter that.

Most schools, esp. the east coast schools, have an 8-8-8 minimum mcat policy, and I've met that mark, but I'm afraid I'll regret later if I didn't do everything I could right now to put my best foot forward. Minimum scores aren't a death wish, but it's not exactly gonna win me any cool points with the adcom, either This means retaking my 27 mcat even tho I hate the beast and it's gonna cost me another arm (and a week's worth of working at minimum wage).

Step 1: Calm down ....

Retaking a class really isn't that bad of a thing. The point in retaking however, is to ace it the second time around to prove to adcoms that you have grown up, or that something else happened, but that you can definetly master the material. A 27 ain't bad either. Go to MDApps and search around for a bit ... I think you will find people matriculating into DO schools with lower numbers. Also, the more info you give here ... the more advice you will get. Ie: gpa, mcat score breakdown, schools applied to, etc etc ...

As the poster above stated, you should definitely provide more information on your stats. If you made a 27 on the MCAT, you shouldn't be freaking out. Remember, most of the D.O. schools are private schools and you'll probably find about a 50/50 split between in state and out of state students. I believe that most of the schools realize that the MCAT doesn't necessarily provide that great of information. It's one day out of all of the rest of your academic career.

I have a 27 on my mcats, and have done very well this cycle.

Step 1: Calm down ....

Retaking a class really isn't that bad of a thing. The point in retaking however, is to ace it the second time around to prove to adcoms that you have grown up, or that something else happened, but that you can definetly master the material. A 27 ain't bad either. Go to MDApps and search around for a bit ... I think you will find people matriculating into DO schools with lower numbers. Also, the more info you give here ... the more advice you will get. Ie: gpa, mcat score breakdown, schools applied to, etc etc ...

Ok. Will do: Sci GPA: 3.26 (this scares me a lot) Cum GPA: 3.59 (ok). Test breakdown: V-11, P-8, B-8. (the lopsidedness scares me, too. I'd kill to take 2 pts off verbal and give it to P&B :() I've seen 12's and 11's in P or B make up for 7-8's in V according to MD apps, but never the other way around. Does the verbal section count for much?

I've also called one of the schools I'm applying to and was told that they don't advise potential applicants, but that if I'm sitting on the fence in terms of stats, it would be smart to try to up my scores. Either this, or take a chance, sit, and wait (possibly until May) for something to happen. I was also told that a formula comes into play during admissions decisions that manipulates my numbers.

Knowing this, I might regret not trying to get 2-3 more pts on the mcat b/c this is a facet of my application that I can control and change short term. (For a FAT $210 smacks.)

I'm in love with PCOM, UMDNJ, NYCOM. Could be very happy at CCOM or DMU as well.

Should I kill $200 to retest, or would this dough be better spent on more apps to more schools?

JCP: Are your scores even? All 9's? I feel like I nailed one section and got nailed by the other 2. (11-8-8) If the adcom looks at it this way, I'm toast. Plus, I took summer courses that I didn't complete until August, so my AACOMAS wasn't good to go until mid-Sep.

Are the below all acceptances?

KCOM 2012
NSU-COM 2012
AZCOM 2012
or
LECOM-E 2012

from rumors i've heard, verbal and bio are counted slightly more heavily than physics. that said, your uneven scores do not hurt you. a 9, 9, 9 vs a 11, 8, 8? they seem about even to me. retaking the mcat would do you good IFF you are averaging way higher on the aamc practice exams (10+ on all sections). if not, i believe it's not worth it. my reasoning is, you run the risk of scoring the same if not lower. 2 points higher on bio and physics is a good safety cushion just in case the curve is crazy or the test is really difficult the time you sit.

you do seem like a borderline app stats-wise though. how are your ec's, lors, etc?

Those are my acceptances. I was not balanced... 8V, 9B, 10P. My science gpa is a 3.39 and my overall gpa is a 3.5. I do have a very large upward trend though...

from rumors i've heard, verbal and bio are counted slightly more heavily than physics. that said, your uneven scores do not hurt you. a 9, 9, 9 vs a 11, 8, 8? they seem about even to me. retaking the mcat would do you good IFF you are averaging way higher on the aamc practice exams (10+ on all sections). if not, i believe it's not worth it. my reasoning is, you run the risk of scoring the same if not lower. 2 points higher on bio and physics is a good safety cushion just in case the curve is crazy or the test is really difficult the time you sit.

you do seem like a borderline app stats-wise though. how are your ec's, lors, etc?

I've also heard that ... two rumors make it fact!!:laugh:

What, this thread exploded overnight? Yesterday it was around 960 or 980 posts. I suppose it is getting to deadline dates. Almost time to start a 2008-2009 WSID thread.

Hey guys..going to try this one more time and see if I can get some feedback:

Lots of helpful info on this site...:thumbup:

Hopefully I can get an opinion or two on my scenario..?

I completed my undergrad as a Film Major (I hope that doesn't hurt my chances) and have the following stats

MCAT - 10BS 9V 9PS (P)
Overall GPA - 3.45
Science GPA - 3.02 (w/o Math) Had B's and C's in a couple of Ochem and Physics courses but did well in Gchem and all bio courses. This past year I have been getting A's in upper division courses like physio and biochem. I hope/expect my sGPA to reach at least 3.2 by March.

EC - Hospital Volunteer, ER Shadow (MD), and should have DO ER shadow and LOR by end of the year.

I have zero research experience and no LORs yet.

I'm really interested in getting into Western (it's local) and wondering if I have a decent chance getting in. I'm thinking it's too late to apply now but should be fully ready to apply early for the next cycle.

I'm having a hard time getting into a research program at my school...Should this be a priority? Or is my time better sent increasing my GPA and shadowing a DO ER physician? Or take the MCAT again? Or something else? Any suggestions about getting into Western?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering applying in 3 weeks. Are my chances absurd?

(let's assume I'm an average candidate)

Just wondering, do medical schools provide need based aid. For example, like in undergrad if your poor you get government grants and other types of scholarships, financial aid. Or is it just loans and nothing else for medical schools?

Edit: One more question, Suppose you have undergrad Loan (mine is 8K), does that get added on to your medical schools loan. Or do you have to pay it off while in medical school. Currently I got a deferment for my loan, but its only till February I was thinking about extending it more. Any answers?

Alright, I've been waiting for a while to post this, but was too nervous.
My Stats:
MCAT 30 (PS 8 :-/, VR 11, BS 11)
GPA 3.44 overall, 3.3 science

Last year my application got screwed up and aacomas didn't update my MCAT until like December. It was my fault, I screwed up.
I only applied to MSU, foolishly expecting to get in, I didn't. They had already filled up their class by the time i applied.

Right now I'm taking grad classes at Wayne State to make my science GPA better.

I took the summer off, was really worried, went to India the whole summer.
Mistake, I should've worked on my weaknesses, shadowed DOs and what not.

I got in my AACOMAS in august and it was processed in september. I turned in my MSU secondary in October and am still working on others. The problem is letters of rec. I worked with DOs in the ER, but didn't get to know any well enough. Now I'm shadowing a DO this friday and hoping he'll be nice enough to write me a LOR so I can send it out right away.

I just finished my PCOM secondary, my advisor is working on the letter and I should have it in soon. They have a huge class, and apparently monthly meetings so maybe, just maybe I get an interview?

I just got UMDNJ's secondary and am going to mail it out tomorrow. They have a relatively small class, so applying late, I'm not expecting much love from them.

My question after all this is. Where else can I apply and have it not be too late. I know i need to apply to schools that have large entering classes and ones that do not fill up too early.
Does anyone really get interviews/acceptances after applying in late november/early december?? If so, where??

Any advice will be dearly appreciated.

/back to studying biochem :-/
I'll check back in after an hour or so

Alright, I've been waiting for a while to post this, but was too nervous.
My Stats:
MCAT 30 (PS 8 :-/, VR 11, BS 11)
GPA 3.44 overall, 3.3 science

Last year my application got screwed up and aacomas didn't update my MCAT until like December. It was my fault, I screwed up.
I only applied to MSU, foolishly expecting to get in, I didn't. They had already filled up their class by the time i applied.

Right now I'm taking grad classes at Wayne State to make my science GPA better.

I took the summer off, was really worried, went to India the whole summer.
Mistake, I should've worked on my weaknesses, shadowed DOs and what not.

I got in my AACOMAS in august and it was processed in september. I turned in my MSU secondary in October and am still working on others. The problem is letters of rec. I worked with DOs in the ER, but didn't get to know any well enough. Now I'm shadowing a DO this friday and hoping he'll be nice enough to write me a LOR so I can send it out right away.

I just finished my PCOM secondary, my advisor is working on the letter and I should have it in soon. They have a huge class, and apparently monthly meetings so maybe, just maybe I get an interview?

I just got UMDNJ's secondary and am going to mail it out tomorrow. They have a relatively small class, so applying late, I'm not expecting much love from them.

My question after all this is. Where else can I apply and have it not be too late. I know i need to apply to schools that have large entering classes and ones that do not fill up too early.
Does anyone really get interviews/acceptances after applying in late november/early december?? If so, where??

Any advice will be dearly appreciated.

/back to studying biochem :-/
I'll check back in after an hour or so
You can apply to NYCOM they have the second to largest class in the country. ~300. I would though apply to ten or so DO schools at this stage of the game with your stats. I hope you are accepted to the school of your choice. Good Luck!!!:luck::luck::luck:

Added NYCOM to my AACOMAS today, how soon do they reply with a secondary? Or is NYCOM the place that goes straight to interview, then has you send in LORs and a secondary?

Added NYCOM to my AACOMAS today, how soon do they reply with a secondary? Or is NYCOM the place that goes straight to interview, then has you send in LORs and a secondary?
Send in your letters now. They will send you a secondary if they invite you for an interview.

Hi guys, I just realized there is a part 2 to the thread so il post my stuff here.

I would like to first mention how helpful reading these boards has been for me.
it would be great if someone could help me out as to tell me how competitive i am for admissions to DO schools. I plan on applying for fall 2009 (so after this year i will be beginning the application process)

GPA: 3.05
SGPA: 3.1
MCAT:33 (11,11,11 O)

I have volunteered at the local hospital
I worked the last 2 summers as a rehab technician at a nursing home (transporting patients, assisting with transfers, switching oxygen tanks, etc)
The regular premed club stuff (AMSA, Minority Association of Prehealth students)
2 hours of research credit (nothing too impressive)
Volunteered as a physiology tutor
Worked in the minority office as a tutor for physics

I realize that i may need to improve the GPA a bit and i have this year to do it. Any feedback would be great, and advice as to which schools to apply to. Oh, I am an Illinois resident.

Thanks

Hey guys! I'd love to hear my chances, if anyone is willing:

MCAT:20O (PS:7,VR:7,BS:6) Aug 06
25N (PS:8,VR:8,BS:9) Aug 07
GPA:3.45 Science
3.60 Overall

Volunteer: Tons of different things-many medical missions trips to Mexico, summer service project in Guatemala, 1 semester hospital volunteer in CCU, volunteer 4,5,6th grade teacher at my church

Extracurricular: Founder and President of my school's Pre-Med Club for 3 years, practicum/shadowed OB/GYN (MD) 1 semester, Championship Irish Dancer (performer and competitor), job as science/math tutor for high schooler with learning disability 1 semester, nanny for a summer

Clinical Experience: Summer Student Scholar (8 week pre-med internship at county hospital observing, shadowing, and occassionally participating in all different fields-FP,derm,IM,ortho,surg,OB,Peds,Medical Examiner doing autopsies), Summer Student Scholar asthma research (big part of 8 week internship) working with pediatric pulmonologist then presented findings at resident conference

LOR: Pre-Med committee, only 1 MD letter-but so amazing I nearly cried when I read it.

I'm only applying DO this cycle, and to only five schools. I'm a tad concerned about being too late in the process to get interviews, since I just now submitted my primary aacomas (10/27). I'm hoping it will get "processed" asap.

I'd really appreciate the input. Thanks guys!

Hey guys! I'd love to hear my chances, if anyone is willing:

MCAT:20O (PS:7,VR:7,BS:6) Aug 06
25N (PS:8,VR:8,BS:9) Aug 07
GPA:3.45 Science
3.60 Overall

Volunteer: Tons of different things-many medical missions trips to Mexico, summer service project in Guatemala, 1 semester hospital volunteer in CCU, volunteer 4,5,6th grade teacher at my church

Extracurricular: Founder and President of my school's Pre-Med Club for 3 years, practicum/shadowed OB/GYN (MD) 1 semester, Championship Irish Dancer (performer and competitor), job as science/math tutor for high schooler with learning disability 1 semester, nanny for a summer

Clinical Experience: Summer Student Scholar (8 week pre-med internship at county hospital observing, shadowing, and occassionally participating in all different fields-FP,derm,IM,ortho,surg,OB,Peds,Medical Examiner doing autopsies), Summer Student Scholar asthma research (big part of 8 week internship) working with pediatric pulmonologist then presented findings at resident conference

LOR: Pre-Med committee, only 1 MD letter-but so amazing I nearly cried when I read it.

I'm only applying DO this cycle, and to only five schools. I'm a tad concerned about being too late in the process to get interviews, since I just now submitted my primary aacomas (10/27). I'm hoping it will get "processed" asap.

I'd really appreciate the input. Thanks guys!

I think you still will be able to get interviews. Your ec's are in order and good LOR's. I hope you are accepted to the school of your chioce good luck!!!:luck::luck::luck:

Hi guys, I just realized there is a part 2 to the thread so il post my stuff here.

I would like to first mention how helpful reading these boards has been for me.
it would be great if someone could help me out as to tell me how competitive i am for admissions to DO schools. I plan on applying for fall 2009 (so after this year i will be beginning the application process)

GPA: 3.05
SGPA: 3.1
MCAT:33 (11,11,11 O)

I have volunteered at the local hospital
I worked the last 2 summers as a rehab technician at a nursing home (transporting patients, assisting with transfers, switching oxygen tanks, etc)
The regular premed club stuff (AMSA, Minority Association of Prehealth students)
2 hours of research credit (nothing too impressive)
Volunteered as a physiology tutor
Worked in the minority office as a tutor for physics

I realize that i may need to improve the GPA a bit and i have this year to do it. Any feedback would be great, and advice as to which schools to apply to. Oh, I am an Illinois resident.

Thanks

If you up that GPA a little you should be getting interviews from all the DO schools you would apply to. Make sure you apply early and it should be smooth sailing. I hope you are accepted into the school of your choice good luck!!! :luck::luck::luck:

Please help! I have LORs ready...do I still have time? I haven't shadowed anyone yet though.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

yep. dont do it. wait out your md cycle.

no time left for do, sorry the allo cycle is freakin you out :rolleyes:

If you submit your AACOMAS now, it will probably take you almost a month to get verified. Its not late yet, but you have to be really on top of your secondaries once they start coming in.

Good Luck

I dont have a DO letter yet, but do a lot of schools require it???

Only a handful require it. All strongly recommend it though, except for MSU, but they are weird in their admissions process.

if the deadline hasnt passed yet, its never too late if you wanna get in.

I submitted my primary on 9/13/07 and it was mailed to my schools on 10/14/07. Did I apply too late? If so, how bad will that hurt my chances? I am turning around all of the secondaries within a day because I wrote my essay ahead of time, but I'm still worried. Thanks in advance for any feedback you could give!

You'll probably have to be alot more competative than if you apply earlier or even early decision because by this point, alot of schools have recieved the bulk of the applicants. I would expect to hear much for a little while.

Ok so this is my question. I will have a 3.0 GPA by the time I apply to DO school. my science gpa is a 3.2-3.3ish. I know thats really low compared to other applicants but I've heard that If I do really well on the MCATS and have lots of ec's I may have a chance. I've vheard that DO schools would rather see a lot shadowing/vol./ec and a lower gpa than someone with a high gpa and no ec. Is this true? And my other question is I dont know if I have more than ave. EC or if what I have is what everyone else has so let me list them and tell me if you thinks its above normal or normal. THANKS!!
Volunteered at surgery recovery room
volunteered at urgent care center
volunteered at Substance abuse center
Volunteered at Emergency room
Volunteered at elementary school helping little children with dissections
Job shawdowed and Urgent care doctor
Job shawdowed a family practice Md and DO
will be a member of my campus red cross group (so many more volunteering to come)
Camp counsler for children in PA

Thats what I have for now but more will be added to the list by the end of the year. OK one last question. I went to a different university before I transfered to the one I'm at now and did horrible at it (i transfered w/ a 2.45) there were a lot of personal problems in my life at the time that I will explain to them but will this really hurt me? OK i'm done thanks for your guy's time!!!:)

since you started with a low gpa and have a 3.2 -3.3 now, I assume you have an upward trend. This is good! It looks like you know the field of medicine well through your ec's. Do you have the opportunity to shadow an osteopathic physician? That is important and can help your chances. I think you are fine! GL

don't worry about it. stay on top of things and make sure to have the schools remember you by checking in every now and then. Primary was mailed out on 10/14 and I've been complete for 3-10 days at 5 of the 8 schools that I applied to. This might be because my school uses virtual evals, which saves a lot of time. I also turned in the supplementary apps. in person at a couple schools. First interview on the 8th of Dec. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine, especially if you're competitive. :thumbup:

don't worry about it. stay on top of things and make sure to have the schools remember you by checking in every now and then. Primary was mailed out on 10/14 and I've been complete for 3-10 days at 5 of the 8 schools that I applied to. This might be because my school uses virtual evals, which saves a lot of time. I also turned in the supplementary apps. in person at a couple schools. First interview on the 8th of Dec. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine, especially if you're competitive. :thumbup:

Wow, you turned in your primary aacomas on 10/14 and already have your secondaries done and complete at those schools? How long did it take after you submitted, on 10/14, for your primary aacomas to be "verified" and "mailed/processed"? When did you start receiving your secondaries?

It sounds like you're on top of this, way to go!:thumbup:

Hi, precious advice is needed, (many many many thanks)
1) I am a Canadian citizen.
2) Just submitted AACOMAS primary today
3) Starting to think about secondary essays.
4) Graduated from University of Toronto
5) Undergrad is Honour in B.S. with cGPA only 3.51, prerequisites around 3.74, a little postbacturate with only GPA 3.0 (should not have done them)
6) MCAT only 27P
7) 4 different research lab experiences
8) various volunteer positions in 2 hospitals
9) Around 7 different awards and fellowships
10) One publication under review

School I have applied to (15 of them)
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University

AT Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona

Western University of Health Sciences / College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific

Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Georgia Campus

Des Moines University - Osteopathic Medical Center

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University

Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine

University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine

A. T. Still University-Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine

Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, New York

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Main Campus

Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine

11) SGU and AUC MD

I know it all depends on your interview to decide a lot.
But I just wonder which school I have higher chances and what is your basis for your statement? Any advice on how I could maximize the acceptance at this stage?

Wow, you turned in your primary aacomas on 10/14 and already have your secondaries done and complete at those schools? How long did it take after you submitted, on 10/14, for your primary aacomas to be "verified" and "mailed/processed"? When did you start receiving your secondaries?

It sounds like you're on top of this, way to go!:thumbup:

I submitted on 9/16 processed and mailed on 10/14 (sunday). Received most secondaries that following week.
CCOM came by email that tuesday 10/16,
UMDNJ-SOM, I called them and they told me to go ahead and fill it out, since it's available online.
PCOM Sent snail mail about a week later
UNECOM Email later that week
NOVA EMail later that week
Touro-NY snail mail 10-12 days later
NYCOM still waiting :mad: but it's only gonna come if I'm invited to interview
DMU Just designated them this monday, so still waiting

Why nobody replies to me?

Hi, precious advice is needed, (many many many thanks)
1) I am a Canadian citizen.
2) Just submitted AACOMAS primary today
3) Starting to think about secondary essays.
4) Graduated from University of Toronto
5) Undergrad is Honour in B.S. with cGPA only 3.51, prerequisites around 3.74, a little postbacturate with only GPA 3.0 (should not have done them)
6) MCAT only 27P
7) 4 different research lab experiences
8) various volunteer positions in 2 hospitals
9) Around 7 different awards and fellowships
10) One publication under review

School I have applied to (15 of them)
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University

AT Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona

Western University of Health Sciences / College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific

Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Georgia Campus

Des Moines University - Osteopathic Medical Center

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University

Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine

University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine

A. T. Still University-Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine

Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, New York

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Main Campus

Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine

11) SGU and AUC MD

I know it all depends on your interview to decide a lot.
But I just wonder which school I have higher chances and what is your basis for your statement? Any advice on how I could maximize the acceptance at this stage?

Your application looks pretty well-rounded. You aren't off-the-charts strong in any area, but there are no obvious weaknesses. You look like a pretty solid DO applicant for any school.

StriveToBeDr,

Like the other poster said, your stats look average (even slightly higher) for DO schools. The only thing is some schools on your list show preference to in state applicants/regional applicants.

For example: Pikeville, Michigan State University and Lincoln Memorial University all show preference to in state/regional applicants (LMU and Pikeville like people from Appalachia).

Other than that there is nothing you can do at this stage to "maximize the acceptance". Just hang in there and be patient.

Good Luck:luck:

okay, soo here it is.
I am 19, a junior with biochemistry major, and well the gpa is 2.67. i have an internship that i did in england last summer. i have 300 volunteer hours. Do i really have a chance?? i dont know i am willing to stay another year in undergrad school to make things better but i dont know . i really really desperatly want to become a doctor. but i dont know what i need to do. i do study, basically do everything under the sun. I cant go to carribean because i have to take care of my brother who is blind and my parents have passed away so.. any suggestions would be appreciated.

What is your science gpa? Is this an upward trend?

Your are only 19. You probably havent taken too many college credits yet (maybe 30) so there is plenty of time to raise that to 3.0+. Switch majors if you have to. Also MCAT matters more.

Science gpa is 2.65..have had some really bad luck. in life and school soo just really lost. should i think realistically and find something else. but i dont know i really want to be a doctor.

it would be good to continue working hard on your studies, and do as well as you can in all your classes so that your overall and science gpa's go up. it's not too late in the game for this, and admissions committees will see the upward trend and this looks positive on your application.

when it comes time to take the MCAT, it would be beneficial to take a preparatory course, and this will give you study aids, tips and techniques that will help you do as best as possible.

it's good that you have the volunteer hours, but if you can start shadowing an osteopathic physician, that will not only give you insight on whether or not this career is really for you, but also give you a sense of the daily practice and could be a good source for a letter of recommendation in the future.

also, remember that straight out of college and into medical school is not the only way to get into medical school. there are plenty of applicants who successfully matriculate who had other careers before being slaves to medical textbooks in med school -- they did research and published papers, travelled, worked in every imaginable field, or had a variety of other experiences which all made them a well-rounded candidate.

keep your head up and keep working hard! talk to your school's pre-med advisor, he/she will certainly have good advice for you as well. freakin' out won't get you anywhere, i promise :)

may i am freaking out or worried because now that i have a responsibility of my brother.. its just gets tough and all. and i just want to know if i am gng in the right direction and what not. because.. then i can well put my mind to something that is well do-able. and better for me to support me and my brother.

You're only 19. Get your GPA up before its too late, and then work hard to prep for the mcat. Its not too late at all.

You do not have to go to Harvard medical school to be a physician. No matter where you go to school, at the end of the day you are in the career that makes you happy. There are some questions you need to ask yourself first... How bad do you want it? Do you really know what you are getting into? Are you willing to pay the price with hard work? If you know the answers to all of these questions, you are off to a good start.

Once you are sure this is the career you want, you need to focus on getting the numbers that will allow you to reach your goal. To be a competitive applicant at most D.O. schools you will need: an overall GPA above 3.0, a science GPA above 3.0, a MCAT score of 25 or higher, lots of shadowing/volunteering/extracurriculars.

You are only 19! You are very young and have plenty of time to achieve all of these requirements. This is what I would do if I were in your position. (Please understand that this is only my opinion and mot by any means the only option) I would continue to take a full load each semester, maybe 16 units. I would take the minimum number of science courses wach term to maximize your effort and grades. If you work hard enough you could easily raise your GPA and you won't need to get straight A's to do it.

I wouldn't do anything else during the school year, just focus on class. Then, every summer, volunteer at hospitals, shadow doctors, perform community service, etc.. Take a prep course for the MCAT and study hard. If you do, getting a 25 is very reasonable.

Worst case scenario- if you haven't done all of this by the end of college, so what I did and attend a post-bacc medical program for 1 year. There you can raise your GPA even further and study intensively for the MCAT.

Also, when you apply, admissions committees will take your overcoming personal adversity into consideration. In fact some schools weight is very heavily. You can explain in your personal statement and interviews that you have not had the easiest life, but you have succeeded despite that fact.

You are not lost- you know what you want to do with your life and that's a lot more than most 19 year-olds can say. If you have any further questions feel free to PM me. I am no expert, but I'd love to help. Good luck!!