The Republic of Texas X: You do NOT have multiple offers from schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At risk of sounding like a complete doofus, what does the "Make your time" part mean?

It's from a huge internet fad from 6-7 years ago.
Check these out:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base

I think I just came out of the nerd closet...

Members don't see this ad.

karmapolice, i know who you arrrreee. you freaked me out in the baylor thread. OMFB!

edit: Make your time. hahhaha

Must...stop...checking...TCOM website....seriously, I have no idea why I keep doing it. I may be having a stroke. Worse still, I'm thinking of ways I can weave it into next year's personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Must...stop...checking...TCOM website....seriously, I have no idea why I keep doing it. I may be having a stroke. Worse still, I'm thinking of ways I can weave it into next year's personal statement.

It's better than not studying.

I think the n00bs need to introduce themselves (school, interview invitations, etc)

Hmmm....n00b referring to me? Nonetheless, you're right, I haven't updated the interview invitation list....Only two interviews so far, Tech and UTHSCSA....(sub-par GPA and MCAT)....I haven't been on SDN in a LONG time, but I imagined it should be pretty crazy right about this time of year....so I come visit and now I'm hooked again....hence my continuous posting instead of studying for my microanatomy test this thursday.....:cool:

Hmmm....n00b referring to me? Nonetheless, you're right, I haven't updated the interview invitation list....Only two interviews so far, Tech and UTHSCSA....(sub-par GPA and MCAT)....I haven't been on SDN in a LONG time, but I imagined it should be pretty crazy right about this time of year....so I come visit and now I'm hooked again....hence my continuous posting instead of studying for my microanatomy test this thursday.....:cool:

Join the club. Cell bio on Thurs.

well I'll take that as a good thing, congrats :)

could be a Tech MD/MBA acceptance..

Looks like you called it, armybound. There was a very pleasant surprise waiting in my mailbox today.

I'm currently Texas Tech Class of 2012: MD/MBA. :thumbup:

Looks like you called it, armybound. There was a very pleasant surprise waiting in my mailbox today.

Do the MD/MBA applicants get notified of their acceptances on a different timeline than regular applicants?

OH, and btw, *Congratz!!!* (What I would give to be in your shoes right now.....)

Do the MD/MBA applicants get notified of their acceptances on a different timeline than regular applicants?

Apparently they were supposed to be notified Oct 15th. I guess they wanted to see the rest of the app pool first?

OH, and btw, *Congratz!!!* (What I would give to be in your shoes right now.....)

I guess so; I'm the second person in this thread to have been notified already. Letter was stamped on Nov 9, so I'm guessing most, if not all, of the MD/MBA acceptees have been notified already. The letter states that this acceptance is outside the normal TMDSAS rolling admissions/match.

Awesome! Now... remember to return home safely! :smuggrin:

Ok, new topic to keep things going (must reach 1000!). Has anyone ever been to a M&M before?

Yes, I went to one or two in pedi surgery with the DeBakey summer program...it was pretty depressing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! Now... remember to return home safely! :smuggrin:

Sadly, I have a test tomorrow...that I really need to start studying for.

I did mean to point out that the whole LMFU change that I had was probably this MD/MBA acceptance...so everyone who doesn't have a recent LMFU change needn't necessarily panic...as it has nothing to do with the Nov 15 offers.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll still keep an eye on the thread, and I hope that everyone has a very pleasant morning come Thursday.

And congratulations, skyes!! :thumbup:

I'm calling Tulane tomorrow...wish me luck guys.

:hungover:+pissed+:barf:

garrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'm just curious due to a recent conversation I had with some friends....but how many people here have family in the medical field? How many don't?

While, I'm at it, second question: How many people think there are schools that extend interview invites with no intentions of accepting that applicant (regardless of the interview)?

I got no one! I shall be the first. Hooray!

edit: Why would they invite for interview someone they absolutely believe they will not accept? That seems ridiculous to me, and a waste of time on both the applicant's and the school's part.

I'm just curious due to a recent conversation I had with some friends....but how many people here have family in the medical field? How many don't?

My dad and stepmom are both nurse anesthetists (function exactly like an anesthesiologist, but aren't MD/DO's), and my mom is a family nurse practitioner.

my parents made me go into medicine.

just kidding. :idea:

Wow, I dont check the thread for one day and y'all jump 5 pages?? Nice.

BTW, I'm not even applying for another yr and a half and I'm nervous about Thursday for y'all. haha... G'luck!! I'm rooting for all of you. :luck:

Wow, I dont check the thread for one day and y'all jump 5 pages?? Nice.

BTW, I'm not even applying for another yr and a half and I'm nervous about Thursday for y'all. haha... G'luck!! I'm rooting for all of you. :luck:

We're going for 1000 before the end of tomorrow!

Good luck you guys! I'm rooting for all of you! It was hard being the first guinea pig group, but I think it may be harder for you guys because at least we had no expectations at all. Despite what happened last year, don't worry if you have to wait for match. We won't know anything for sure until it is all said and done.

And believe me, I wish we could take ALL of you at UTH. :) If I can do anything to help any of you in the midst of it all now, or any of you that will be applying in the future, please let me know! :D:thumbup::hardy::banana::biglove::biglove:

I got no one! I shall be the first. Hooray!

edit: Why would they invite for interview someone they absolutely believe they will not accept? That seems ridiculous to me, and a waste of time on both the applicant's and the school's part.

I had a friend who received an interview invite from Houston. His first interviewer (some of you guys may have heard about him already), asked him to identify something and *specifically* told him that 100% of students that have gotten it right in the past HAVE been accepted into medical school. My friend guessed it correctly. Second interviewer went to same undergrad. as him (VERY small private school) and absolutely *LOVED* him. However! His stats were ~3.3 (cummulative, I think BCPM was lower) and MCAT: 24 (possibly lower). I'm sure you can see where this is going already - he didn't get accepted. Which leads me to the question of, "WHY did they even offer him an interview invite in the first place if regardless of how well his interview went, they would still reject him?" Why fill people with false hope (not to mention all the money we waste on transportation and room for the interviews)? Which, however, is nothing compared to the agony of waiting MONTHS, just to be disappointed.

I had a friend who received an interview invite from Houston. His first interviewer (some of you guys may have heard about him already), asked him to identify something and *specifically* told him that 100% of students that have gotten it right in the past HAVE been accepted into medical school. My friend guessed it correctly. Second interviewer went to same undergrad. as him (VERY small private school) and absolutely *LOVED* him. However! His stats were ~3.3 (cummulative, I think BCPM was lower) and MCAT: 24 (possibly lower). I'm sure you can see where this is going already - he didn't get accepted. Which leads me to the question of, "WHY did they even offer him an interview invite in the first place if regardless of how well his interview went, they would still reject him?" Why fill people with false hope (not to mention all the money we waste on transportation and room for the interviews)? Which, however, is nothing compared to the agony of waiting MONTHS, just to be disappointed.

You must impress 2 people and those 2 people have to impress a committee. This is why the interview doesn't have as much weight as some would like it to have.

You must impress 2 people and those 2 people have to impress a committee. This is why the interview doesn't have as much weight as some would like it to have.

Damn, too bad there aren't too many lawyer-turned-doctors out there. Getting them as an interviewer would be like hitting a pot of gold. :thumbup:

how are we planning on arranging the pre-match acceptances? Add it to the end of the line of the growing Interview list? or make a new data list for each school?

too excited about prematch, that i cant concentrate on anything else. 24 hours 30 mins till doomsday. it would kill me to wake up thursday and not hold on to an acceptance.

gluck all.

The Republic of Texas XI: All your base are belong to TMDSAS

how are we planning on arranging the pre-match acceptances? Add it to the end of the line of the growing Interview list? or make a new data list for each school?

Probably easier to make a new list exactly like the interview one. Maybe interview dates could be listed on it as well?

I'm scurred. :scared:

To add to post count: I am going to put the volume on my computer speakers on max, and fall asleep at my desk tomorrow night, so that when (hopefully) I get an e-mail I'll hear the new e-mail sound and wake up. What is everyone else going to do?

Probably easier to make a new list exactly like the interview one. Maybe interview dates could be listed on it as well?

I'm scurred. :scared:

I agree. It should be interview date and stats (possibly LMFU as well? :laugh:)

armybound, if I am the other noob (aside from princess) that needs to explain himself, i'll give y'all the short version that hopefully doesnt totally give away my identity:

A Texan born and bred, I went to college on the West coast and am looking to come back home for med school. I am working for the year while I apply, but I had decided to do this beforehand so this is my first time running through the application process. I havent updated any of the interview invite lists (though I did comment about a rejection before) because I thought it would be douche-y to suddenly put down all my invites on the thread. I didn't want it to look like I was trying to grab attention, so I just have an MDApps.

My screenname/handle comes from an inside joke among my friends. Whenever I start drinking I get more and more science-y. One night when we were partying, my friend had an allergic reaction to something he drank and started having difficulty breathing. I immediately called 911, drunk, and explained everything in an elevated and scientific tone: "He appears to be in respiratory stress with a flushed appearance...". When the fire truck got there I continued the speaking with the emergency response in the same way. Everyone else thought it was hilarious and thereafter, the name DrunkMD was born.

Hope that fills in enough info. If you have any other questions or want more detailed info, PM me.

I have an uncle who's a doc. He's on the admissions committee of a Tx med school....one of the ones I applied to but didn't get interviewed at...lol. It's a good thing we don't have family reunions...itmight get awkward.

Damn, too bad there aren't too many lawyer-turned-doctors out there. Getting them as an interviewer would be like hitting a pot of gold. :thumbup:

Don't know about that. I had a doctor-turned-lawyer during one of my interviews and it was unpleasant, to put it nicely. Basically he made me sweat bullets :eek:

karmapolice, i know who you arrrreee. you freaked me out in the baylor thread. OMFB!

edit: Make your time. hahhaha

lol sorry, I thought OMFB would've told you who I was. Congrats on both of your acceptances! I think you should withdraw from TX schools and give the spot to the rest of us. jk :D

almost 600 already... we're rolling at a good pace. we can definitely hit 1000 by midnight tomorrow with a little help from paranoia.

almost 600 already... we're rolling at a good pace. we can definitely hit 1000 by midnight tomorrow with a little help from paranoia.

Paranoia comes automatically. This time tomorrow we'll be furiously checking out e-mail. That's right. TOMORROW.

mother of god.... that. is. awesome. I must aquire this game.

I'm glad you approve. All your bases are belong to TMDSAS has a pretty nice ring to it. :D

I also vote yes to LMFU date posting to put an end to all this LMFU nonsense.

Is there any chance that UTHSCSA will be notifying through email?? :rolleyes:

lol sorry, I thought OMFB would've told you who I was. Congrats on both of your acceptances! I think you should withdraw from TX schools and give the spot to the rest of us. jk :D

hah. i did tell her.

also, all of this paranoia reminds me of the office. do you guys remember the episode where darl tells kelly something along the lines of, i like you kelly... what's not to like? but you are going to have to have to access your un-crazy side

(or something to that effect. im pretty sure i just murdered it. im sure nomoreplz knows the more exact quote)

So this lady's chief complaint: "Monistat overdose"

uhhhhhhhhh

hah. i did tell her.

also, all of this paranoia reminds me of the office. do you guys remember the episode where darl tells kelly something along the lines of, i like you kelly... what's not to like? but you are going to have to have to access your un-crazy side

(or something to that effect. im pretty sure i just murdered it. im sure nomoreplz knows the more exact quote)

Hahaha... I love the Office. Too bad the writer's strike is going to make them stop production after this episode or the next. :(

or The Republic of Texas XI: All your acceptances are belong to TMDSAS :laugh:

btw I love how we are throwing names around for the next thread while we are in the 500 post range haha ;)

or The Republic of Texas XI: All your acceptances are belong to TMDSAS :laugh:

btw I love how we are throwing names around for the next thread while we are in the 500 post range haha ;)

Tomorrow, we will need a new thread.

Is there any chance that UTHSCSA will be notifying through email?? :rolleyes:

As I understand it, they notified the OOS'ers per e-mail. But, that might only be because snail mail to OOS'ers would take longer.

I have to commend y'all for staying up this late to keep the thread going. I am on Pacific time so its still reasonably early here.

Keep up the intensity. 22 hours, 53 minutes...