Has anyone heard of PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm considering applying to Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Clinical PsyD). Has anyone heard about them? Is this a respected institution? What are the chances of being admitted? The main reasons I'm considering applying there are: they allow part-time study and have a cognitive-behavioral orientation.

Opinions about this institution will be highly appreciated, as I'm new at the country and know very little about the reputation of different institutions.

Thanks,
Psych

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody heard anything about this institution?

Any opinion would mean a lot...

They're pretty new (accredited for the first time in 2003, I just checked). I've never heard of any of their faculty, or read a paper by any of them. Take that for what you will though, because there's plenty of excellent schools I might not recognize names at.

That's about all I can offer. Sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also thought about applying here when the time comes, since my bf is a pre med and I wanted to do clinical psych. The best I can say is that it is accredited, which is a good thing. I looked at the professors in the psychology department and they seem to be decent, except that some of them don't have a whole lot of recent publications- but, it is a PsyD. program, so that may not be a big deal. I dunno. Its hard to tell. But in any event, if you really want your degree and you are wililng to pay for it, I would bet you can still find gainful employment.

I think Psy.D. profs publish as much as Ph.D. (same requirements for faculty), though it may vary by school. My last research advisor was a Psy.D. and he was very active with his publications.

-t

See, if PsyDs also publish, its a little difficult to figure out what the real difference is between PhD trained psychologists and PsyD trained psychologists. Is it like MDs and DOs- differences in education but very little difference in real world practice?

See, if PsyDs also publish, its a little difficult to figure out what the real difference is between PhD trained psychologists and PsyD trained psychologists. Is it like MDs and DOs- differences in education but very little difference in real world practice?

Please feel free to check out the Psy.D and Ph.D. comparison thread, there is a good discussion going on in there.

As for PCOM, have you tried contacting them and asking to talk to some current or previous students?

-t

Their web site seems to have a good bit of info on it ... though it appears they highly prefer people w/ Master's Degrees. From the site: "The program recruits the in-practice professional who has a master's degree and is working as a mental health professional in human services."

Don't know if that helps at all.

There really is not much of information about this institution.

Well, I guess I'll take a chance and apply anyway.

Their web site seems to have a good bit of info on it ... though it appears they highly prefer people w/ Master's Degrees. From the site: "The program recruits the in-practice professional who has a master's degree and is working as a mental health professional in human services."

Don't know if that helps at all.

I am in the School Psych PsyD program and have seen the entering Clinical PsyD class. I'd say most, if not all, of the doctoral students hold, at least, a Master's degree in Psych. PCOM is a really great school with a program that works well for those who want to continue working while going to school. Personally, if I had to go back to just taking classes, I'm the type that would not like it. The PsyD approach makes sense for me and many others. Hope you find your way!

I looked into PCOM and Chestnut Hill when I was applying, but I just went with Immaculata since I could start their Psy.D. program with a B.A. and high GRE/MAT scores rather then getting a masters degree then going for the Psy.D.

PCOM is a well respected school in the area for its other programs. I know they had difficulty getting their accreditation due to the school having their satellite locations. But they do have it now. Hope this helps, sorry I didn't have more.
Good Luck in the program!

Hi! I visited PCOM's program last fall. It's an excellent institution with a great reputation in the Philly area. It's really great for those who are working and want to pursue their doctorate. I was really impressed with the faculty, who really care about the students and want the students to graduate without any major delays. I would definitely apply to PCOM!

Hi everybody,

I'm considering applying to Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Clinical PsyD). Has anyone heard about them? Is this a respected institution? What are the chances of being admitted? The main reasons I'm considering applying there are: they allow part-time study and have a cognitive-behavioral orientation.

Opinions about this institution will be highly appreciated, as I'm new at the country and know very little about the reputation of different institutions.

Thanks,
Psych