GME Selection board meeting now...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SquidDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an HPSP MS4, I am eagerly awaiting the the GME SB results. I have been told that the program directors went to D.C. this weekend, and they will have their decisions made this week.

In years past, the results have come out during mid-December. Can anyone attest to a specific date? I have ranked deferment as my #1 choice, so I am eager to find out if I should keep going to interviews or if I should cancel them and save some holiday cash!

Good luck to everyone:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same boat as everyone else I am applying for full deferment in Anesthesia with the Navy. Already been on a ton of interviews. Hope I get the deferment.

It is so nice to have the match early. But senioritis is going to set in fast.

Any insight as to the two week delay for release of the results?

^^I believe it's because the results have to be approved by someone higher - like an assistant SG or maybe even the SG of the respective services.

I seriously doubt that whoever it is ever changes anything, so you'd think they could just sign off on it in a couple of days, but that's bureaucracy for you.

I have an interview on the 13th in Illinois, so I will have to fly out on the morning of the 12th. If I knew the results of the board before hand, I might want to cancel the flight.

^^I believe it's because the results have to be approved by someone higher - like an assistant SG or maybe even the SG of the respective services.

I seriously doubt that whoever it is ever changes anything, so you'd think they could just sign off on it in a couple of days, but that's bureaucracy for you.

Things do change every now and then.

I heard from one of the program directors at the selection board yesterday that folks will find out if they are unmatched at the same time everyone else finds out that they did match. No advance warning, no early alert to scramble.

Hope I'm wrong... :scared:

I heard from one of the program directors at the selection board yesterday that folks will find out if they are unmatched at the same time everyone else finds out that they did match. No advance warning, no early alert to scramble.

If that is what you heard, and it was truly from a PD, then that must be the case. He was probably just giving you a heads up that you did not match....

j/k, I am sure that most of us will have nothing to worry about. In years past, they have done lots of crazy manipulating to the military match, such as randomly distributing the top 10% and bottom 10% of applicants among the big three (in the Navy anyways).

Members don't see this ad :)

If this is the case then again why the two week delay if not to scramble into open spots? If the SG needs to sign off on the match I am sure they are not going to sign off on an incomplete match list.

You are wrong. Unmatched students would be contacted.

You are wrong. Unmatched students would be contacted.

Up until last year, I told people this too. But I know of at least one case in which a student wasn't contacted and matched into something he hadn't ranked. I felt pretty bad since I'd told him that if he didn't get called, he would know he got something on his list.

Up until last year, I told people this too. But I know of at least one case in which a student wasn't contacted and matched into something he hadn't ranked. I felt pretty bad since I'd told him that if he didn't get called, he would know he got something on his list.

I know more than one of those students. So for sure they did not contact people last year, even though the official notice and information from the board states they will.

One thing that will probably prevent that from happening now is the new ranking system students must use for the Navy. You now must rank like five programs and there are some other weird rules as well.

I know more than one of those students. So for sure they did not contact people last year, even though the official notice and information from the board states they will.

One thing that will probably prevent that from happening now is the new ranking system students must use for the Navy. You now must rank like five programs and there are some other weird rules as well.

No one was contacted last year.

and from the rumblings from senior residents, the incoming classes are pretty much set and they know how many are from the "bottom" group.

Any chance we'll find out the results of the match this week? Or is the 12/12 release date firm?

How do we know when the results have been posted to the website? Do they email everyone a generic password for us to sign in? Then we enter our ssn or something? Just wondering.

Thanks!

I have seen a few of the PDs around the hospital and everyone is sworn to secrecy until the 12th apparently. Hopefully I am wrong.

So my understanding is that the military cannot force you into a specific specialty. If you go for something competetive and don't get it, you can do a med/surg/transitional internship, and then reapply as a GMO. Worse case, you repay your commitment as a GMO, then get out and apply for a civilian residency. I am a little worried about Tired's example of someone who didn't get a surgical subspecialty and was sent to FP. I appreciate any info on this one.

I do not know the specific situation to which you referred, but it is my understanding that they cannot force you to complete a residency not of your chosing. They can make you do an internship in whatever they want, but not the balance of the residency.

I'm sure there are a 1000 ways someone could try to subvert this rule or try to pressure someone into doing something they don't really want. But, if you follow the letter of the law - so to speak - then they can't force you into a residency.

If you put more than one specialty on your list, you will get whatever is less competitive that particular year. I verified this with the GME head weenies at AFPC a few years ago when I was still dumb enough to apply for military GME.

For example: If there are 5 Radiology slots and dozens of FP slots, no matter how good your scores, LORs, grades, if you put Rads #1 and FP #2, you will get FP because then you are getting your "choice" and the military can continue to lie about how well it treats doctors -- contrary to all available evidence. The 5 top "Rads only" applicants will get Rads. This doesn't necessarily mean the 5 most qualified applicants, but those with enough "points" in the corrupt military GME system.

The "smart" applicants (nobody applying to military GME is particularly smart since mil GME is dying in general) put only one specialty on their list.

Be smarter and GTFO ASAP. Do your time as a GMO, FS, or DMO, and cut your losses in the military. If you want to be trained as a real physician, military GME will only disappoint. If you are lazy, incompetent, or otherwise management material, go right ahead.

If you put more than one specialty on your list, you will get whatever is less competitive that particular year. I verified this with the GME head weenies at AFPC a few years ago when I was still dumb enough to apply for military GME.

For example: If there are 5 Radiology slots and dozens of FP slots, no matter how good your scores, LORs, grades, if you put Rads #1 and FP #2, you will get FP because then you are getting your "choice" and the military can continue to lie about how well it treats doctors -- contrary to all available evidence. The 5 top "Rads only" applicants will get Rads. This doesn't necessarily mean the 5 most qualified applicants, but those with enough "points" in the corrupt military GME system.

The "smart" applicants (nobody applying to military GME is particularly smart since mil GME is dying in general) put only one specialty on their list.

Be smarter and GTFO ASAP. Do your time as a GMO, FS, or DMO, and cut your losses in the military. If you want to be trained as a real physician, military GME will only disappoint. If you are lazy, incompetent, or otherwise management material, go right ahead.

We are now required to fill our list with 5 choices which for the most part assures you will have to put another specialty down other than the one you really want.

At least that is what the Navy requires.

Thanks for the responses guys. Scary to think that you are not promised at least a prelim medical or transitional internship. I can't imagine being forced into a specialty that I don't want, ever if for only a year. I suppose the same thing can happen with civilian match.

Does any one know how they will contact us on the 12th?

Is that just the day that we log onto the GME website? Or will they e-mail or call us?

Not true...there are always a few lads contacted each year! I know some personally.

Rotatores
PGY-2 Pediatrics

this is navy specific only:

Maybe some were contacted, but not all were as the boards own requirements state it will. I pulled the quote off the Navy GME website once and don't feel like finding it again but it specifically stated all applicants who did not match into something they listed would be contacted early by the board. This requirement was not met last year for most intern applicants.

With the newest iteration of the intern application process this is most likely a non-issue because they make you list five things and you must rank all the locations of the specialty you put number 1. If you want deferment you must rank that number 1. This takes away the ability of someone to only apply ortho, or only gensurg, or only ENT, etc. Since there are only three places to do those you still have at least one slot (if you rank defer #1) that must be filled with something else such as transitional or medicine or fp.

It will be interesting to see how many changes are enacted for next year's Navy Intern Selection board.

Ah, but there's always the obvious way around it: Top 3 are your real choices, fourth choice is deferrment (or flip those), and fifth is something ridiculously competitive that you didn't rotate in and will never get into (ie - neurosurg/ENT).

That will not work, as it breaks the rules for the new GME-1 application. An application like this would be kicked back, and if it slipped through the cracks, the person would get their rank order rearranged and chopped up.

Deferment always has to be ranked #1. If it is not, you will not be considered for it, and that choice will be deleted.

Barring deferment, your top 3 choices must be the same with location the only variable (ie, #1TY in SD, #2 TY in Portsmouth, #3 TY in Bethesda)

#4 can be anything, so long as it is not surgical if your 1-3 were not surgical.
#5 must be something called "any site" such as "IM, any site".

I suppose the same thing can happen with civilian match.

Wrong. In the civilian match, you can rank as many or as few programs as you want. They can be any mix of specialties, internships, TY, categorical, etc. You can ONLY match to a program on your ranklist. If you don't rank it, you CANNOT be matched there. While flawed, the civilian match system is enormously better than the gamble that is the JSGMEB. Good luck.

Sorry to repeat myself, but does any one know how we will find out?

Deferment does not have to be ranked number 1. I know of a person who ranked it number 2 and still ended up with a full deferment in their chosen specialty.

Deferment does not have to be ranked number 1. I know of a person who ranked it number 2 and still ended up with a full deferment in their chosen specialty.

This is now wrong. They have changed it this year.

Anyone else bursting at the seams waiting for wednesday?!?! :eek:

Anyone else bursting at the seams waiting for wednesday?!?! :eek:

Yes. I could vomit any minute just thinking about it. All in all, I am either going to end up deferred or in San Diego I think, so it cannot be all that bad.

The anticipation is nail bitting. Just look at it this way either way we will have jobs next year. And from the snow thats in my backyard right now I wouldn't mind it being somewhere coastal and warm.

Does anyone know if the Army match results will be released on the 12th as well? Everything I've seen says (on or about) the 15th (Saturday) :confused:.

TIA

I'm under the impression that since the selection board is joint, all results will be released the same day.

For us lucky Navy folk, if you go to http://nmmpte.med.navy.mil/gme1/default.asp
there is a link for where to input the password they email you on 12/12 to find out your fate.

God help us all. :scared:

Does anyone know if the Army match results will be released on the 12th as well? Everything I've seen says (on or about) the 15th (Saturday) :confused:.

TIA

This is correct; the Army keeps saying the 15th.

They said the same thing the year I matched, but I happened to wake up at 0200 on the 14th - a full 34 hours before I was expecting to find out - and the results were online.

I would imagine something similar will happen this year since the 15th is a Saturday.

Last year all of the results came out online within a few minutes of each other for the various services. I believe it was around 10 or so in the morning of the day they said. I would put good money on the same thing happening this year with the 12th being the day for all services. I would be the 15th is left over from last year, because if I remember correctly that was the day they came out then.

24hrs now....

I'm really hoping that the password will be released a day early. Probably unlikely, but still hoping nonetheless.