Official 2008 EM Match ROL Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hurricanemd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else certify their rank list yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Yup...wish Match Day wasn't so far away tho!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's all right...we'll wait for ya!:)

I figure I'll wait to post mine until the deadline. Even though I certified, I might still move things around. But I'm fighting the urge. :)

Geez...and I thought starting a thread last year a couple weeks before the deadline was early. This year's group has been pretty quiet overall in terms of where they want to go. I'm looking forward to finding out what the flavor of the year is. Good luck guys...it's almost over!

It's horrible! I keep changing it! ARGH!!!! :(

I haven't changed mine... and I don't think I will :D

*I* am a real future EM doc... I made a quick decision, and am now comfortable with sitting back and watching it all unwind...

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't changed mine... and I don't think I will :D

*I* am a real future EM doc... I made a quick decision, and am now comfortable with sitting back and watching it all unwind...

yeah right!!!! i'm going crazy waiting till march; but for 20 seconds it was fun pretending otherwise!

yeah right!!!! i'm going crazy waiting till march; but for 20 seconds it was fun pretending otherwise!

:laugh: At least you got enough love from you #1 &2 to know where you're going. My #1 & 2 haven't changed in a while, but they might not love me :(

My #1 and #2 have been set ever since I even got interview offers to those places. I doubt I'll end up at any of those places but I will still ranked them on top........you never know so I might get lucky:) from 3 down the list is becoming a pain in the butt

:laugh: At least you got enough love from you #1 &2 to know where you're going. My #1 & 2 haven't changed in a while, but they might not love me :(

i won't believe it till i see a paper in march saying that my #1 or #2 actually wanted me and it wasn't a delusion set about 2/2 terminal matchitis

I have one interview left (yeah I spread them out, and I regret it now). I can say I haven't certified once yet, since I told myself to give that program a chance.

there is no point to my post
only to point out the frustration in not being able to have a neutral party to bounce my rank list // burning questions off of
it's kind of tough not to have an unbiased third party with no agenda out there to answer the unaskable questions i have about 4-5 programs : (
disrespectful to ask my home institution's attendings/my mentors b/c they want me to stay and i feel rude gushing about how much i love other places. other places don't want to hear about other institutions, and i can't be candid.
not sure how much personal info to throw out on sdn b/c i can't be sure about a) hurting peoples' feelings b) people giving misinformation/misdirection by talking down places they're highly ranking c) just ugh

50 days till match day.

1) OHSU - It's home. It's 3 years. It's a great city to live in, a friendly, close-knit program. They have strong medical informatics, which is an area of research interest for me. I wish they had a stronger clinical program, but, obviously, your training will be satisfactory everywhere. Not a place I'd rank this highly if I weren't from here.
2a) University of Chicago - This is my favorite curriculum. All critical care and EM time, the flight opportunities, the beautiful Peds ED, the procedures heavy 1st year with the support of the 3rd year in the teaching resident position. Chicago weather is rough, and the drive up to Lutheran is kind of a drag.
2b) Stanford - A great program with academic, community, and county rotations. Awesome faculty, lots of money, great place to live. Their shift schedule is kind of a drag, unfortunately. 12s aren't good for anyone. Tough to sign up for so little free time.
2c) Harbor-UCLA - Awesome faculty and residents, one of those county hospitals that sees everything. West coast, great reputation. Not enough non-county rotations, and I'm underwhelmed by their intern year and their Peds experience.
5a) Maricopa - Kind of a low-key county, if there's such a thing. Lots of laid back residents, fun city, extremely lucrative jobs available in the area when you finish. Too much county, though, and being the strongest residency in the hospital is kind of a drag.
5b) Christiana - Beautiful hospital, great resources for the residents, happy attendings, lots of money, low cost of living. But, another one where you're the strongest residents in the hospital.
5c) UCLA/Olive View - Only ranking this in the second tier because it's 4 years. But, a great program in a nice part of LA, at least. Academic and county exposure, great residents, great place to live.
8) Denver Health - Also ranked this low because it's 4 years. Great, close-knit community. Not many benefits for the residents, too many useless months intern year, not much elective time for a 4 year program.

Obviously, still deciding between the 2s and the 5s....give me more reasons to like or dislike them!

there is no point to my post
only to point out the frustration in not being able to have a neutral party to bounce my rank list // burning questions off of
it's kind of tough not to have an unbiased third party with no agenda out there to answer the unaskable questions i have about 4-5 programs : (
disrespectful to ask my home institution's attendings/my mentors b/c they want me to stay and i feel rude gushing about how much i love other places. other places don't want to hear about other institutions, and i can't be candid.
not sure how much personal info to throw out on sdn b/c i can't be sure about a) hurting peoples' feelings b) people giving misinformation/misdirection by talking down places they're highly ranking c) just ugh

Camel that sounds quite depressing! I know what you mean though about having mentors that you can't really talk about this stuff with. If you interviewed anywhere I did and you want to bounce some ideas around just PM me.

certified my ROL! i just applied to california residencies and then my home institution's programs.

1) UCLA/Olive View (I love this place!! Half of your time in an academic tertiary care center and then half your time at a county hospital...the best of both worlds!)

2) Harbor-UCLA (great place, but i don't want just a county experience without any tertiary center experience)

3) LAC-USC

4) UC Irvine

5) Stanford

6) UCSF

7) BWH/MGH love it here, but ready to leave boston.

8) BIDMC love it here, but ready to leave boston.

9) Alameda-Highland

Damn, changed my ROL and recertified after just 5 days. I tried so hard to fight the urge... :(

Hey, congrats on having such a great list. I'm curious about the justification for the rest of your order. I find 5, 6, & 9 of particular interest. Also, what do you think you will get out of the "tertiary care" center?

certified my ROL! i just applied to california residencies and then my home institution's programs.

1) UCLA/Olive View (I love this place!! Half of your time in an academic tertiary care center and then half your time at a county hospital...the best of both worlds!)

2) Harbor-UCLA (great place, but i don't want just a county experience without any tertiary center experience)

3) LAC-USC

4) UC Irvine

5) Stanford

6) UCSF

9) Alameda-Highland

ha, I am reordering mine as we speak :laugh:

ha! I knew me and so cute scared her into it... i guess just the threat of restraints was enough to get you moving!

I'll play along too (behind the cloak of this screen name!)

1) MCW - city with only one main hospital, good peds, EMS, flight, call attendings by first name, low cost of living, live close to hospital

2) OSU

3) Indiana

4)UIC

5) Christ

6) U of C

7) NWU

8) Cincinnati

9) Resurrection

Mine is still in the works....

1. Utah
2. Maine

3. Highland
3. UCSF
3. University of New Mexico
3. OHSU

7. Albany
8. Stanford
9. Davis
10. Denver
11. UConn
12. Baystate
13. UMass

I think. Or wait, maybe I want to tweak it again! (Tears hair out.)

Hey, congrats on having such a great list. I'm curious about the justification for the rest of your order. I find 5, 6, & 9 of particular interest. Also, what do you think you will get out of the "tertiary care" center?

Originally Posted by hopeful21311

3) LAC-USC

4) UC Irvine

5) Stanford

6) UCSF

9) Alameda-Highland
Quote:

i think that county patients vs. tertiary center patients each have a different range of pathophysiology...and i'd like to make sure i have enough exposure to both. the latter may include more transplants, chemo patients with neutropenia, etc. Also, i think that other departments at a larger academic center are usually stronger...so you get better teaching with consults and your off service rotations will be more worthwhile. so, those are all reasons i ended up preferring UCLA/OV over Harbor....but both are great. as far as my 5-9 choices, they were all awesome places too...but after growing up in LA, going to college in the Bay Area, and then going to medical school in Boston...I've definitely realized that LA is the place for me. :love:

But, another one where you're the strongest residents in the hospital. quote]

Hey guys, I never really gave this any thought....but what is a negative about EM being the strongest residency in the hospital? I think you could say that about a few of the programs I applied to. Your input would be appreciated.

Hey guys, I never really gave this any thought....but what is a negative about EM being the strongest residency in the hospital? I think you could say that about a few of the programs I applied to. Your input would be appreciated.

you learn alot from your off service rotations when you go to a program where the other residencies are also strong.

Right.. I agree whole heartedly but your residency better be strong enough to not get walked all over in other places. Hence I love the U of Az. We rock and roll.

Realize that being a strong residency doesn't mean that your other residencies (aka off services stink).

We have a very stong department, but we also have a good IM, surgery services, great orthos, etc.

Realize that being a strong residency doesn't mean that your other residencies (aka off services stink).

There were a few places where I interviewed where that was the case. At one place I was even told that the EM residents were teaching the other residents on their off service rotations.

I think the other posters were just stating that it would be nice to match at a residency where EM is not the only strong program. We will have many off service rotations and it would be horrible if most of them were a waste of time.

Ok, no one has posted their ROL for awhile, so here goes. Since I didn't post any residency reviews (long time lurker, first time poster), maybe I will combine them both into one. It's my first post, so be gentle:

Top 1/3: (It's really a coin-toss as to which one gets 1, 2, 3 or 4):
*Highland - love the location, lots of sick people, great ultrasound. Only thing I didn't like was that the residents seemed a little "too cool for school" but I'm willing to overlook that as long as I get one of those black sweatshirts with "HIGHLAND" emblazoned in red on the back (or was it the front? I can't remember).

*Harbor-UCLA - again, love the location, lots of sick people. One of the few 3 year programs I looked at where I actually felt I would be well prepared at the end of residency.

*UCLA/UCLA-Olive View - smart people, lots of research opportunities. Location isn't too bad, either. I think the two-hospital approach is a great idea and I wish more residency programs did it.

*Pitt - not so good location, but this program was absolutely amazing. If they could relocate to San Diego, I think it would be everyone's #1 choice. Again, one of the few 3 year programs where I felt I would actually know what I was doing at the end of residency, instead of trying really hard to convince people that I knew what I was doing.

Middle 1/3:
*UCSF-SFGH - I had a hard time figuring out where to put this one. I think they will eventually be a top program, I'm just not so sure that will be the case in the next 4 years. It sounds like they're already butting heads with medicine and they're going to have a lot of bumps in the road. It also has way too many unknowns for a control freak such as myself. I have no idea what conferences will be like, there are no senior residents to help you out, and there are not grads to give you an idea of what the "finished product" looks like. Someday, though it's going to be a great program.

*OHSU - loved the location, great people. Not the busiest ED in the world, but they make up for that by staffing it at an appropriate level so that you're busy enough. Residents seemed pretty happy, too. Did I mention Portland was beautiful?

*UC Davis - not so excited about the location (at least it's close to nice things), but seems like you would get perfectly adequate training there to be a competent emergency physician. In all honesty, I probably would have ranked it higher if they didn't have the "we'll only pay for $15 of your dinner" policy. It was also the only program where the PD didn't interview anyone. I know that's been discussed before, but it just left me feeling like the PD didn't have the time or desire to really get to know the applicants. Made me wonder how available he would be if something came up during residency.

Bottom 1/3:
*Wash U - Great program, but it snows there. I've lived my whole life in California and I'm not sure I'm ready for the snow. The guy who came and spoke to us at the end was also kind of off-putting and basically told us it would inconvenience him if we sent thank-you letters and asked us not to do it. Did I mention the snow? Great program, though.

*Hennepin - More snow than St. Louis. More inflated egos, too. Let's just say that I thought the staff and facilities were great and it has an excellent reputation.

*My home school - Great program, but I've been here 4 years already.

Ok, that's all I have. Pardon my bluntness, but I was just trying to be honest with my comments. I'm sure others have different opinions, but I'm the one who has to make up my ROL, so it's my opinion that counts.

Good luck on the match!

I got that same feeling from the highland residents- they seemed a little full of themselves... maybe you get that way when you're by far the strongest residents in the hospital.

1) St. Luke's-Roosevelt in NYC
2) UCSF
3) UCLA-Oliveview or Highland
5) BIDMC in Boston
6) Stanford
7) Christ in Chicago

Thoughts, opinions?

1) St. Luke's-Roosevelt in NYC
2) UCSF
3) UCLA-Oliveview or Highland
5) BIDMC in Boston
6) Stanford
7) Christ in Chicago

Thoughts, opinions?

Sweet list :thumbup:. But you've got some crazy geographical stuff going on. No preferences? UCSF & BIDMC really impressed me, and I have heard great things about most of the rest. You can't go wrong, kid, congrats! :)

It's my first post, so be gentle:

Welcome. Hang out with us more :)

Top 1/3: (It's really a coin-toss as to which one gets 1, 2, 3 or 4):

I can tell you which one to put #4 :smuggrin:

*UCSF-SFGH - I had a hard time figuring out where to put this one. I think they will eventually be a top program, I'm just not so sure that will be the case in the next 4 years. It sounds like they're already butting heads with medicine and they're going to have a lot of bumps in the road. It also has way too many unknowns for a control freak such as myself. I have no idea what conferences will be like, there are no senior residents to help you out, and there are not grads to give you an idea of what the "finished product" looks like. Someday, though it's going to be a great program.

I dunno. They have the right clinical sites, the right faculty, the right PD, and a nice plan. All they need is a strong first class that gives as well as they take. It's all very good to visit a museum and look at fine art, and it's quite another to help create it. Their first class will be fortunate, indeed. :cool:

Seems my matchitis is flaring up...feelin' a little freak nasty.

Top 5: In no particular order just yet...
1a. SUNY Downstate
1b. LAC+USC
1c. U. of Chicago
1d. Highland
1e. BMC in Boston

6-10: Cook, Jacobi, Harbor (just 4 you H24G), UCLA, Loma Linda, UCSF

As you can tell I'm geographically tied down...go to medschool in the South and I'm looking for something different for the next few years. Pretty much lookin for a program that produces official bad a$$es. Any thoughts?

Please don't take any of the negative comments personally, there were no fat chicks at my party. :thumbup: Were I not able to afford to be picky, I would be happy at any of these programs.

1.St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY - Great patient mix, people, city, benefits, curriculum, research opportunity, I hope I match here. Not a big name place but WTFC.

2a.U Maryland Med Ctr - I firmly believe this may be the best program in the country, but don't believe the hype, Baltimore sucks.

2b.U Florida COM-Jacksonville - Great mix of academic setting with private minded attendings. First year is brutal but it gets much better pgy2,3. Not the greatest city, but you can leave beachfront.

2c.University of Virginia - Great living environment and happy residents. Nice referral center that gets some weird stuff but ED census is low and I hear other services have to ship people off to get full experiences.

5.NY Methodist Hospital-NY - SLR Light.

6.Christiana Care-DE - May be the second best program in the country, but wilmington is not feasible.

7.Emory Univ SOM-GA - I liked the attendings, residents and reputation. But that place is in crisis mode and it ain't getting better.

8.Columbia-Cornell - Outstanding program but they need 6 more residents per class to get up to full speed. Not interested in working as a 1.5 resident.

9.Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC - I want to meet a 25 year old version of Sarah Stahmer. Nuff said.

10.Mt Sinai Hospital-NY - 4year and the commute were the big negs
11.Einstein/Jacobi Med Ctr-NY - 4year and the Bronx were big negs
12.U Florida COM-Shands Hosp - Football and coeds, but program still going through huge growing pains. Lotsa money to fix problems though.
13.Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD - Program in transition to be more academic minded, fellowship thing is goofy as most EM fellowships are 1 year not 2.

Not ranking - Boston Medical: Loved Boston, the people at this program were among the nicest I met. And the patients were an awesome mix. But, and it is a huge hairy pimply but, there is NFW that I am doing a medical internship. Then when you have survived one year of hell you are rewarded with becoming a procedure monkey for a whole year. Again, great program but curriculum is to far out there for me. I really wanted to love this place too.

2008 EM reviews,

I was wondering why you put SUNY Downstate way up on your list and Jacobi much lower? Besides the location in NY, they seemed really similar to me and I am actually having a really hard time teasing these two county-like residencies apart.

I have my top three choices already. I'm curretnly struggling to rank from #4-#7 since I don't know much about those programs other than what I gather on the interview day. This programs are LIJ-Albert Einstein, Mayo, Beth Israel New York, and Duke. Personally I wasn't feeling it that much for NY city so I really want to hear about Mayo and duke.

2008 EM reviews,

I was wondering why you put SUNY Downstate way up on your list and Jacobi much lower? Besides the location in NY, they seemed really similar to me and I am actually having a really hard time teasing these two county-like residencies apart.
No start differences in the programs for me...however I liked how Kings County had both high acuity and trauma volume at their main site, whereas the other program required you to go to Monte for your acute medical cases (of which it would only be about 1/3 of the program). I was just going based on my gut feeling while I was there. I also meshed really well with the faculty and residents at Downstate vs. the staff at Jacobi. The PD there also kind of rubbed me the wrong way...plus I'd rather live in Brooklyn than the Bronx. Just a personal preference!

I have my top three choices already. I'm curretnly struggling to rank from #4-#7 since I don't know much about those programs other than what I gather on the interview day. This programs are LIJ-Albert Einstein, Mayo, Beth Israel New York, and Duke. Personally I wasn't feeling it that much for NY city so I really want to hear about Mayo and duke.

Can't speak for BI but I also liked Duke lots more than I expected. They are getting much stronger and have a lot to offer the new classes. Stahmer was great as was Broder and with new community offerings and options for areas of interest tracks, this program is on the move. They are moving towards becoming a separate department also which is promising. Strong programs all around to learn from on offservice make this school very inviting. The residents were really nice and informative at dinner and durham seemed to be a good place to live. It will be high on the rank list.