Doctors are smart, we're idiots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boon Doctor

The Tree-Tacklin' Bum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been working with Docs, PAs, NPs, and Nurses everyday for the past 6 months (I'm a medic deployed overseas), and needless to say, MD's are brilliant...NPs are too actually. But, I am beginning to hate the pretentiousness that most of the doctors I work with have. I understand that they have gone through 12+ years of education and training since HS, but they don't have to make the rest of us feel like idiots. I understand that medicine is hierarchal and moreso in the Army, but do they really think that I can't diagnose a patient with pneumonia if the patient has a fever, cough, purulent sputum, 13 WBC, and obvious infiltrate on the chest Xray? I mean c'mon, most of medicine is algorithmic, especially the diagnostic process. Why should I have to pussyfoot around semantics when I chart a patient because I "sound too much like [I'm] diagnosing them." Why even teach me this crap if I can't apply it? Why recommend that I take an ACLS (Advance Cardiac Life Support) class if I can't actually do any of it? It seems so hypocritical. They KNOW that I'm premed and smart and eager, but it just feels like they're trying to hinder me instead of help me.

Anyone else have negative experiences working with doctors? Sometimes I wonder why I even want to be one of these people.

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been working with Docs, PAs, NPs, and Nurses everyday for the past 6 months (I'm a medic deployed overseas), and needless to say, MD's are brilliant...NPs are too actually. But, I am beginning to hate the pretentiousness that most of the doctors I work with have. I understand that they have gone through 12+ years of education and training since HS, but they don't have to make the rest of us feel like idiots. I understand that medicine is hierarchal and moreso in the Army, but do they really think that I can't diagnose a patient with pneumonia if the patient has a fever, cough, purulent sputum, 13 WBC, and obvious infiltrate on the chest Xray? I mean c'mon, most of medicine is algorithmic, especially the diagnostic process. Why should I have to pussyfoot around semantics when I chart a patient because I "sound too much like [I'm] diagnosing them." Why even teach me this crap if I can't apply it? Why recommend that I take an ACLS (Advance Cardiac Life Support) class if I can't actually do any of it? It seems so hypocritical. They KNOW that I'm premed and smart and eager, but it just feels like they're trying to hinder me instead of help me.

Anyone else have negative experiences working with doctors? Sometimes I wonder why I even want to be one of these people.

fortunatey i have not had that experience w/ any doctors. it has mostly come from medical students who think that as a pre med you have little to know knowledge about anything in the world and tend to treat you that way.

however, your experiences should give you fuel to be the exact opposite of what you have experienced right? could even incorporate that into one of the reasons you want to be a doctor, or at least a reason for why as a doctor, you will not treat people below you like ****. thats how i'd try and look at it at least.

I don't know anything about the role of a medic in military medicine, but as a rule, no, you CAN'T diagnose. You think you can, but legally you can't. So you shouldn't be putting lay diagnoses into the legal document that is the medical chart. Obviously I'm not there to hear exactly what is being said, but if the docs are objecting to you writing diagnoses in the chart, it may be less because they think they're supreme beings, and more because it simply isn't legally appropriate for you to be documenting your presumed diagnosis. While yes, most of the time that presentation will be consistant with pneumonia, the whole reason for medical school is to gain the ability to see when it may NOT be pneumonia. Which is something you're not qualified to do yet. See what I mean? All that training docs do isn't so they can diagnose the horses -- it's so they don't mistake a zebra for a horse.

Just playing devils advocate :)

Good luck on med school!

Members don't see this ad :)
wait, you tried to diagnose a patient?! Are ya nuts?! lol
yea, I feel you on that though .. but honestly I think they're trying to cover their own behinds .. imagine if they let that happen and you did mess up .. they'd lose their license, and be completely screwed .. think of this stuff through the eyes of the court of law .. if you were a judge, what would you say?

Statements like that are exactly why they don't want schmoes like you (and me, and everyone with "Pre-Medical" in their title) diagnosing problems. It's incredibly easy to make attribution errors and other cognitive misjudgments if you want to make your "diagnosis" fit what you can identify. For that reason, though pneumonia may be a reasonable option on the differential, but it's never the only one. Med school takes four years for a reason; maybe the doctors weren't being pretentious. Maybe they want to make sure their patients are taken care of.

I hate to say it, but maybe you should spend more time thinking like a student and less thinking like a gunner.

It is all about the legalities. Plain and simple. Most doctors have reasons for their rhymes. Most of the time they will go out of their way to help you. If you're imposing when you shouldn' be they're obviously going to cop a 'tude.

Why can't you actually do any ACLS? And why is this only a recommendation for a paramedic course? It is definitely required for any ALS (Critical care or medic) in New York state, and we use those protocols all the time!

wait, you tried to diagnose a patient?! Are ya nuts?! lol
yea, I feel you on that though .. but honestly I think they're trying to cover their own behinds .. imagine if they let that happen and you did mess up .. they'd lose their license, and be completely screwed .. think of this stuff through the eyes of the court of law .. if you were a judge, what would you say?

Like I said, it's all in semantics. I am quoted as "using language that suggested a diagnosis" in the patient's chart. I never went to the patient and said "here's some levafloxacin, you have pneumonia."

You aren't in the position to suggest a diagnosis. If you are wrong you're going to get "schooled." Doctors are the ultimate decision maker (besides the patient), that's the way it is. You aren't in a position "to play doctor."

Statements like that are exactly why they don't want schmoes like you (and me, and everyone with "Pre-Medical" in their title) diagnosing problems. It's incredibly easy to make attribution errors and other cognitive misjudgments if you want to make your "diagnosis" fit what you can identify. For that reason, though pneumonia may be a reasonable option on the differential, but it's never the only one. Med school takes four years for a reason; maybe the doctors weren't being pretentious. Maybe they want to make sure their patients are taken care of.

Well said. :thumbup:

but do they really think that I can't diagnose a patient with pneumonia if the patient has a fever, cough, purulent sputum, 13 WBC, and obvious infiltrate on the chest Xray? I mean c'mon, most of medicine is algorithmic, especially the diagnostic process. Why should I have to pussyfoot around semantics when I chart a patient because I "sound too much like [I'm] diagnosing them." Why even teach me this crap if I can't apply it? Why recommend that I take an ACLS (Advance Cardiac Life Support) class if I can't actually do any of it? It seems so hypocritical. They KNOW that I'm premed and smart and eager, but it just feels like they're trying to hinder me instead of help me.

You're right - you're smarter than the medical profession. You should just skip medical school and save the time and cost that would be wasted by training someone of your incredible medical stature. I bet they're holding you back because they're scared of you showing them up.

By the way, while you were treating your patient for obvious pneumonia I'm sure you mentally ran over the differential:
"noninfectious conditions can also present as pneumonia and include: CHF, pulmonary infiltrates with eosinophilia, pulmonary hemorrhage, TB, Goodpasture's syndrome, pulmonary embolism, neoplastic disease, radiation injury, inhalation injury, pulmonary contusion, bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia (BOOP), Wegener's granulomatosis, collagen-vascular disorders (including rheumatoid lung disease, SLE, scleroderma), amyloidosis, sarcoidosis, interstitial pneumonitis (e.g., farmers, bird breeders), and drug reactions (e.g., hydrochlorothiazide, asbestos, silicosis, etc.)"

Personally, I think we should just train medics and then give them diplomas for a doctorate. Those idiots are wasting their 20's sleeping on a cot in the on call room to learn everything you picked up in the latest edition of "Emergency Care".

Why can't you actually do any ACLS? And why is this only a recommendation for a paramedic course? It is definitely required for any ALS (Critical care or medic) in New York state, and we use those protocols all the time!

I'm an Army medic, not to be confused with paramedic. Either way, in my hospital, it is apparently beyond my scope to recognize rhythms, defibrillate, and administer cardiac meds w/o direct supervision of an MD.

I'm an Army medic, not to be confused with paramedic. Either way, in my hospital, it is apparently beyond my scope to recognize rhythms, defibrillate, and administer cardiac meds w/o direct supervision of an MD.

Well I'm glad you at least understand that something is outside of your massive scope. I think it's stupid to even have EM residencies - all they do is teach you what you can learn in a 6 week course at your local community college.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's beyond your scope? Bogus! What could possibly go wrong?

You're right - you're smarter than the medical profession. You should just skip medical school and save the time and cost that would be wasted by training someone of your incredible medical stature. I bet they're holding you back because they're scared of you showing them up.

By the way, while you were treating your patient for obvious pneumonia I'm sure you mentally ran over the differential:
"noninfectious conditions can also present as pneumonia and include: CHF, pulmonary infiltrates with eosinophilia, pulmonary hemorrhage, TB, Goodpasture's syndrome, pulmonary embolism, neoplastic disease, radiation injury, inhalation injury, pulmonary contusion, bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia (BOOP), Wegener's granulomatosis, collagen-vascular disorders (including rheumatoid lung disease, SLE, scleroderma), amyloidosis, sarcoidosis, interstitial pneumonitis (e.g., farmers, bird breeders), and drug reactions (e.g., hydrochlorothiazide, asbestos, silicosis, etc.)"

Personally, I think we should just train medics and then give them diplomas for a doctorate. Those idiots are wasting their 20's sleeping on a cot in the on call room to learn everything you picked up in the latest edition of "Emergency Care".

I never once asserted that I am smarter than any medical professional. Obviously I ran through the differential, otherwise I wouldn't suggest pneumonia for an otherwise healthy soldier with no PMHx, who smokes, is post-URI, has a negative physical exam of the lungs (+egophony, incr. tactile fremitus, dullness to percussion), negative chest xray (infiltration), high white count, and left-shift bandemia on labs among other associated symptoms after a review of systems.

It is very common for the MD to ask, "So what do you think it is?" I just thought I was expected to give an opinion.

are you being facetious?

Nope. I don't believe in evidence based medicine either - it's big pharma trying to convince you that unicorn blood doesn't cure cancer (IT DOES I SAW IT HAPPEN ONCE).

The OP has realized what the rest of the world hasn't yet - medicine is easy. Every patient presents the same way with the same disease and requires the same treatment. Every medic in the world knows that pneumonia should be treated with whatever WebMD says it should be treated with.

If one of my parents has an MI, I would toss the MD out of the room and request a medic.

Like I said, it's all in semantics. I am quoted as "using language that suggested a diagnosis" in the patient's chart. I never went to the patient and said "here's some levafloxacin, you have pneumonia."

As numerous others have said, its not about you, its about who's going to have to explain that patient chart in the end. Patient records are generally treated as absolute truth by juries when in comes to lawsuits. If it is in the patient record, it happened, if it wasn't, it didn't. If you have people who are not MDs making notations in charts that are "suggest[ive of] a diagnosis" the issue is not that the doctor thinks they are a god and you are pond-scum. The issue is that should something cause that particular patient chart to be used in a jury trial or other form of litigation, it is the doctor that is going to have to explain that you weren't diagnosing, even though it might sound that way to a lay person, that the doctor was in charge of the patient's care, not the army medic or other ancillary healthcare personnel. And if the doctor's diagnosis is different or the case is complicated by other factors, there is additional clarification necessary as to why your wording appears to contradict that of the doctor's actual diagnosis. Yes it seems as though it is semantics, but there are more reasons behind it than just the supposed ego of the physicians in question. In the end, it is the doc that is going to have to answer for what's in the chart, not you.

Yes, they do teach this stuff in medical school. Some of the regulations/hierarchical stuff in medicine is crap, but a lot of times there are good reasons for the way things are done.

Nope. I don't believe in evidence based medicine either - it's big pharma trying to convince you that unicorn blood doesn't cure cancer (IT DOES I SAW IT HAPPEN ONCE).

The OP has realized what the rest of the world hasn't yet - medicine is easy. Every patient presents the same way with the same disease and requires the same treatment. Every medic in the world knows that pneumonia should be treated with whatever WebMD says it should be treated with.

If one of my parents has an MI, I would toss the MD out of the room and request a medic.

but unicorn blood does cure cancer. my mom's sister's husband's mechanic had colon cancer and he had chemo and unicorn blood treatment. luckily, the unicorn blood was able to overpower the bad karma of the chemo and get the chakras back in line.

All in all, I am grateful for your replies. I should really be more humble in my approach to learning. I've spent much of my free time reading medical texts and trying to learn the "why's" of medicine in addition to "what" I know. Maybe I should just get back in my MCAT preps and wait until after I get through med school before I start spreading my "lay diagnoses".

Ultimately, I would take it as a lesson of what NOT to be when you are a physician. I've volunteered in the ER and have had the experience of observing the relationships between doctors and their subordinates. You hear the techs and nurses bitch and moan about how condencending some of the (not all) physicians are and I totally understand their point of view. For me, I've taken it as further confirmation that I will always need to be respectful, friendly, and open to those below me.

oh, okay, that's better .. I can see why you did that .. kinda maybe an overreaction on both ends (doctor's and your) though, don't you think?

Ultimately, I would take it as a lesson of what NOT to be when you are a physician. I've volunteered in the ER and have had the experience of observing the relationships between doctors and their subordinates. You hear the techs and nurses bitch and moan about how condencending some of the (not all) physicians are and I totally understand their point of view. For me, I've taken it as further confirmation that I will always need to be respectful, friendly, and open to those below me.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

You're absolutely right. But I'm beginning to think (just from listening to the resident that posted earlier, among others) is that it's going to be like this throughout our medical education, ie. the med student pimps the premed, the intern pimps the med student, the resident pimps the intern, and the attendings pimp everyone.

I'm a medic, I realize I'm the low man on the totem pole, but I thought that being that I am in a military hospital located in a combat zone, my role as a medic and thereby my scope of practice, would broaden drastically due to the circumstances (which include improper staffing because medics outnumber military docs like 1,000:1).

I'm still very convicted to medicine obviously, but I'm not so sure that I can put up with the personalities it produces.

You're absolutely right. But I'm beginning to think (just from listening to the resident that posted earlier, among others) is that it's going to be like this throughout our medical education, ie. the med student pimps the premed, the intern pimps the med student, the resident pimps the intern, and the attendings pimp everyone.

I'm a medic, I realize I'm the low man on the totem pole, but I thought that being that I am in a military hospital located in a combat zone, my role as a medic and thereby my scope of practice, would broaden drastically due to the circumstances (which include improper staffing because medics outnumber military docs like 1,000:1).

...and so the skin thickens...

I think that's an important and healthy realization, but it doesn't diminish what has been said here. Though we're all technically "low men on totem poles" to someone out there, it's important to recognize the limitations of our training, even when those limitations seem nonexistent. That may be a useful lesson in thing far more encompassing than medicine, but when someone's life hangs in the balance, we should all be able to swallow our pride to do things the right way.

I never once asserted that I am smarter than any medical professional. Obviously I ran through the differential, otherwise I wouldn't suggest pneumonia for an otherwise healthy soldier with no PMHx, who smokes, is post-URI, has a negative physical exam of the lungs (+egophony, incr. tactile fremitus, dullness to percussion), negative chest xray (infiltration), high white count, and left-shift bandemia on labs among other associated symptoms after a review of systems.

It is very common for the MD to ask, "So what do you think it is?" I just thought I was expected to give an opinion.

You say you ran through the differential... do you actually think you KNOW the entire differential for chest disease? I know I don't. But let's say, for instance, your patient didn't have pneumonia. Let's say instead they had bronchioloalveolar carcinoma. It could present similarly. Should the patient be discharged based on YOUR diagnosis of pneumonia, or should the MD take a look? Also, let's say the MD did suspect this. Now, if you've written a 'diagnosis' of pneumonia in the chart, the MD is going to have to fight to justify additional testing with insurance companies and who knows what other administrators.

When the MD asks you 'what do you think it is', it's not because he needs your advice. he's including you in the discussion and helping you learn. He does want your input to the discussion. Hypothesize diagnoses verbally to your hearts content. But when you WRITE THAT OPINION INTO THE CHART, that is when you've crossed a boundary. You're not licensed to practice medicine, and yet you're placing a diagnosis into a legal document. That's the issue.

Assuming that the people in charge care about maintaining standard of care, the scope of midlevel providers should not change based on circumstance to include duties outside of their training. Obviously if you're the only person there, you do the best you can. But if there's an MD there, that person is the only one who should be practicing at the scope of practice that an MD typically does. He may have to work harder, but oh well. 'Battlefield promotions' don't increase your knowledge base. I'm sure they appreciate all the help you bring to the table, and would like to get you as much experience as they can, but it's just a matter of making sure you don't stick your neck out too far, because you may be inadvertantly putting someone else into a touchy situation.

You say you ran through the differential... do you actually think you KNOW the entire differential for chest disease? I know I don't. But let's say, for instance, your patient didn't have pneumonia. Let's say instead they had bronchioloalveolar carcinoma. It could present similarly. Should the patient be discharged based on YOUR diagnosis of pneumonia, or should the MD take a look? Also, let's say the MD did suspect this. Now, if you've written a 'diagnosis' of pneumonia in the chart, the MD is going to have to fight to justify additional testing with insurance companies and who knows what other administrators.

When the MD asks you 'what do you think it is', it's not because he needs your advice. he's including you in the discussion and helping you learn. He does want your input to the discussion. Hypothesize diagnoses verbally to your hearts content. But when you WRITE THAT OPINION INTO THE CHART, that is when you've crossed a boundary. You're not licensed to practice medicine, and yet you're placing a diagnosis into a legal document. That's the issue.

Assuming that the people in charge care about maintaining standard of care, the scope of midlevel providers should not change based on circumstance to include duties outside of their training. Obviously if you're the only person there, you do the best you can. But if there's an MD there, that person is the only one who should be practicing at the scope of practice that an MD typically does. He may have to work harder, but oh well. 'Battlefield promotions' don't increase your knowledge base. I'm sure they appreciate all the help you bring to the table, and would like to get you as much experience as they can, but it's just a matter of making sure you don't stick your neck out too far, because you may be inadvertantly putting someone else into a touchy situation.

:thumbup:

I think you you're doing great things Boon Doctor, but I agree with what most have posted on here, you are just not trained to make a diagnosis. That will come in time, but there is no reason you should stop reading about medicine or hinder your curiosity. You can bounce ideas off of the docs and see (verbally) what they think is going on with the patient. I mean, if writing is your shtick you could always jot down a made up patient name (something only you would recognize, don't violate HIPAA), and write symptoms you believe the patient is expressing why you think they are presenting those symptoms and what you would list as a diagnosis. Then you can track the cases as the docs look at them and discuss differences with them. Why did they put X instead of Y, or how did they go from here and realize what they were looking for was there.

This can help you develop observation skills and then you can even hone your research study to look into cases, etc. When you have down time instead of just reading medical texts.

Oh yeah, I also think you were on to something when you said that you should start studying for the MCAT. ;)

I appreciate your candor, you do bring up some very valid points. But, I feel the need to clarify. Here's a general patient encounter:

Pt comes in w/ chief complaint of pleuritic chest pain and cough. The medic gathers up a good hx of present illness, a review of systems, and a focused physical examination. He gathers what he's found, finds the doc and relays the information.

The doc asks, "so what do you think it is?"
Medic: "I suspect pneumonia."
Doc discusses (pimp session) but ultimately agrees, and orders rads and labs to rule out or differentiate.
Medic carries out orders and documents his findings..."Poss. pneumonia, ordering [labs and rads] to r/o infection" into patient's chart.
Labs are back, xray is done, the medic documents a 'lay impression': "Results consistent with community-acquired pneumonia" and returns to the MD.
Doc reviews, discusses treatment (pimp session), declines sputum culture (pimps medic for suggesting a sputum culture), decides to see the patient, talks to him/her, signs script, goes back to his office.
Medic types up the note, doc reads.
Doc: You're a medic blah blah blah, you are not a doctor. You can't use "language that suggests a diagnosis" and "you don't need to be making any kind of impressions...blah blah blah..."differential"...blah blah..."TB"..blah "idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis"...blah blah blah..."bronchioloalveolar carcinoma." LOL

Pt returns 5-6 days later, levafloxacin not relieving pneumonia.
Doc: Let's send him to the pulmonologist in XXXX for CT and sputum culture.

Thanks guys/gals, I'm really glad that I'm learning some humility now instead of later as a med student.

Pts are not being diagnosed and discharged by medics. Sorry if I misled you.

what's a NP and a PA?? and why do you have boondocks as your avatar??? that show is a disgrace to all blacks.
i think engineers are the really smart ones. doctors only learn what they need to learn for they field or to pass a test.

what's a NP and a PA?? and why do you have boondocks as your avatar??? that show is a disgrace to all blacks.

NP = Nurse Practitioner.

PA = Physician's Assistant

Boondocks = Hilarious show for anyone who judge things on context and not simply content.

i think engineers are the really smart ones. doctors only learn what they need to learn for they field or to pass a test.

NP is Nurse Practitioner and PA is Physician's Assistant. I'm not familiar with their roles in the civilian setting, but in the military they're often interchangeable with MDs.

BTW, The Boondocks is pure, satirical genius!

After 4,000,000 years of training and schooling (or however long it is), I would hope docs are allowed to make other people look like idiots now and then! Though they should use this with discretion.

For with great power, comes great responsibility.

NP is Nurse Practitioner and PA is Physician's Assistant. I'm not familiar with their roles in the civilian setting, but in the military they're often interchangeable with MDs.

BTW, The Boondocks is pure, satirical genius!
so saying n***** every three minutes makes the show 'satirical genius'??? i don't know too many N'Orleans evacuees who were laughing at that one episode. and the Uncle whatever who overly obsessed with white ppl and hates blacks, oh yeah, REAL GENIUS!! i mean, EVERY BLACK MAN WANTS A BUSTY WHITE WOMAN! oh and white ppl shouldn't have to argue with blacks because they will always win because the law is on their side. i think that was on the first or second episode.
i mean what kind of crap is this?? i can't believe critics like this show. it doesn't represent all blacks. just the losers blacks that hurt the black community. but this is nor the place or time for that.

anyways, im new to the medical field so i had no idea what those acronyms meant. i mean whats the difference between a registered nurse and a NA??

so saying n***** every three minutes makes the show 'satirical genius'??? i don't know too many N'Orleans evacuees who were laughing at that one episode. and the Uncle whatever who overly obsessed with white ppl and hates blacks, oh yeah, REAL GENIUS!! i mean, EVERY BLACK MAN WANTS A BUSTY WHITE WOMAN! oh and white ppl shouldn't have to argue with blacks because they will always win because the law is on their side. i think that was on the first or second episode.
i mean what kind of crap is this?? i can't believe critics like this show. it doesn't represent all blacks. just the losers blacks that hurt the black community. but this is nor the place or time for that.

I see that satire is lost on you...

After 4,000,000 years of training and schooling (or however long it is), I would hope docs are allowed to make other people look like idiots now and then! Though they should use this with discretion.

For with great power, comes great responsibility.

I disagree. Making a coworker (regardless of their education/training) look like an idiot is disrespectful.

I disagree. Making a coworker (regardless of their education/training) look like an idiot is disrespectful.

But Dr House does it all the time! Are you suggesting he is wrong?

but this is nor the place or time for that.

OK

anyways, im new to the medical field so i had no idea what those acronyms meant. i mean whats the difference between a registered nurse and a NA??

I assume you meant RN vs NP. Most RNs have a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing degree, whereas, a NP has a more advanced degree (Master's, methink) in Nursing and they're awarded the ability to practice, thus, they're called Nurse Practitioners. Maybe someone else can expound more on this...?

OK

I assume you meant RN vs NP. Most RNs have a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing degree, whereas, a NP has a more advanced degree (Master's, methink) in Nursing and they're awarded the ability to practice, thus, they're called Nurse Practitioners. Maybe someone else can expound more on this...?

Here's a good description:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurse_practitioner

Along those lines, are physician's assistants:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physician's_assistant

While yes, most of the time that presentation will be consistant with pneumonia, the whole reason for medical school is to gain the ability to see when it may NOT be pneumonia. Which is something you're not qualified to do yet. See what I mean? All that training docs do isn't so they can diagnose the horses -- it's so they don't mistake a zebra for a horse.

Agree -- this is the right way to look at it, particularly in a hospital setting. There are probably 50 diagnoses a patient could have with the symptoms the OP describes in his original post, maybe even moreso depending on what part of the world he is in. (And that's assuming that a single ailment is causing all of patient's symptoms, which isn't always the case). A good diagnostician will rank his differential from most to least likely, but will not just run and treat the most likely before doing a few tests that help confirm his diagnosis or eliminate some of the others. So it's actually pretty cerebral. You will see when you do rotations in med school which are "rounding" oriented. You will work up each patient and not be allowed to jump to what you think is the right answer, even if it's plain as the nose on your face. And at some point, you will actually come across a zebra that will demonstrate that the exercise was valuable, and what seemed obvious was dead wrong, and that you would have killed the patient.

OK

um, yeah, NP. my dad got his masters in nursing so i guess he's a NP?? he's working on his Ph.D for something, idk. i think getting a MD is all i need.

I appreciate your candor, you do bring up some very valid points. But, I feel the need to clarify. Here's a general patient encounter:

Pt comes in w/ chief complaint of pleuritic chest pain and cough. The medic gathers up a good hx of present illness, a review of systems, and a focused physical examination. He gathers what he's found, finds the doc and relays the information.

Doc discusses (pimp session) but ultimately agrees, and orders rads and labs to rule out or differentiate.
Medic carries out orders and documents his findings..."Poss. pneumonia, ordering [labs and rads] to r/o infection" into patient's chart.
Labs are back, xray is done, the medic documents a 'lay impression': "Results consistent with community-acquired pneumonia" and returns to the MD.
Doc reviews, discusses treatment (pimp session), declines sputum culture (pimps medic for suggesting a sputum culture), decides to see the patient, talks to him/her, signs script, goes back to his office.
Doc: You're a medic blah blah blah, you are not a doctor. You can't use "language that suggests a diagnosis" and "you don't need to be making any kind of impressions...blah blah blah..."differential"...blah blah..."TB"..blah "idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis"...blah blah blah..."bronchioloalveolar carcinoma." LOL

Pt returns 5-6 days later, levafloxacin not relieving pneumonia.
Doc: Let's send him to the pulmonologist in XXXX for CT and sputum culture.

• Yes, as a medic, you shouldn't be writing down anything that could be construed as a diagnosis. It misleads whoever is reading the chart (including nurses, who will then use it as ammunition to question every move that the doctor makes), and, of course, you could be setting yourself up to be named in a lawsuit. So don't do it.
  • No, as a medic, you're not really trained to go through a differential diagnosis.
  • That being said, I'm not totally convinced that the physician that you're working with is so great. You should generally always try to get a sputum culture, for sensitivities if nothing else. If your patient was in the army and stationed overseas, he needs a PPD as well. You also need to rule out HIV on this patient (which is why sputum cultures and gram-stains would be useful!!!), because you never know - it could be PCP. (When you wrote "consistent with CAP," did YOU consider PCP? Which is why you probably shouldn't have written a presumptive diagnosis in the chart....) In any case, the doctor that you're working with doesn't seem too bright himself....

Here's where you went wrong. The discussion, the teamwork, all of that was great. But when you documented an interpretation of results that you're not qualified to interpret, you made a legal blunder.

Basically he's just explaining why you shouldn't make impressions, because there are things this presentation could be that you may not know how to recognize. Maybe he was a jerk about it, but this was almost certainly his point.

Pts are not being diagnosed and discharged by medics. Sorry if I misled you.

Yeah I figured that was the case :)

I do think it's great that you're making an active effort to understand the presentations and diagnoses of your patients. Even if legally you can't make these diagnoses, it will help hone your instincts about your patients :)

That being said, I'm not totally convinced that the physician that you're working with is so great. You should generally always try to get a sputum culture, for sensitivities if nothing else.

As tired already mentioned, this is debated. Remember in any sputum culture you're going to grow out just as much normal flora as anything else. The more useful finding would be WBCs, but if the sputum is purulent you already know there are going to be WBCs, and depending on how recently that URI described was, I'd probably be wondering if it was primary from the lung or secondary from the sinuses. I also agree that looking in the blood would be more diagnostically useful, ruling in or out a hematogenous source (or spread).

If your patient was in the army and stationed overseas, he needs a PPD as well.

I just wanted to point out that you don't have to go overseas to get TB. I saw a case in clinic in downtown Birmingham, Al, just a few weeks ago :)

In any case, the doctor that you're working with doesn't seem too bright himself....

You know what they say about assumptions...... :-D

1) All service members have yearly HIV testing, and cannot deploy without it. The odds of developing full-blown AIDS (as defined by HIV+ status with an AIDS-defining illness like PCP) after a negative HIV test less than a year ago is near zero.

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't aware that the military required such frequent HIV testing.

2) The utility of the sputum culture is a subject of much debate. Personally I agree with you, but I don't agree that it's as cut-and-dried as you make it sound. I think it's probably more important that everyone with a pneumonia get blood cultures, but that's just me.

I would agree that sputum cultures may not be very useful. But neither would I agree that dismissing the need for a sputum culture is a good idea. It might not be useful - but it also might grow out something important. And it's not all that difficult to try and get a useful sample from a young, presumably cooperative, and (presumably) non-demented patient. It may not be "cut and dry," but I don't think that dismissing sputum cultures is a "cut and dry" decision either.

Blood cultures would also be a good idea, but it doesn't sound like the doctor in question considered those either.

As tired already mentioned, this is debated. Remember in any sputum culture you're going to grow out just as much normal flora as anything else.

Yes, I am aware of the questionable utility of sputum cultures. :rolleyes: (I, too, took Step 1 and received a passing score.) But that doesn't mean that you absolutely shouldn't get them.

The more useful finding would be WBCs, but if the sputum is purulent you already know there are going to be WBCs, and depending on how recently that URI described was, I'd probably be wondering if it was primary from the lung or secondary from the sinuses. I also agree that looking in the blood would be more diagnostically useful, ruling in or out a hematogenous source (or spread).

How would WBCs be a "more useful finding"? Sputum cultures aren't done for the purpose of looking for the presence of WBCs. And blood cultures are not done to see if there is a hematogenous source of the pneumonia, usually. And I'm not sure if I'm clear on what you mean by "primary from the lung" vs. "secondary from the sinuses." Are you sure you know what you're talking about? :confused:

I just wanted to point out that you don't have to go overseas to get TB. I saw a case in clinic in downtown Birmingham, Al, just a few weeks ago

I'm also well aware that you do not need to go overseas to get TB. We had a patient a few months ago with miliary TB who had a negative PPD when she came to this country from SE Asia, but got TB (somehow) during her six years in Philadelphia. Ironic.

However, IF you do go overseas, and IF you develop a pneumonia, then you may need a PPD to rule out TB. Obviously, it's not the only way to develop TB (hence, why we give people PPDs here in US hospitals), but it is a common way.

i can't believe critics like this show. it doesn't represent all blacks. just the losers blacks that hurt the black community.
What is the show that represents all blacks? I'd love to watch it. I once thought the Cosby Show represented all blacks, but figured since not all blacks are well-to-do OB-GYNs, maybe it was just portraying one small, fictionalized slice of life in a very diverse culture within a culture. Much like boondocks.

NEWS ALERT: Pre-Med Student thinks he's already a doctor; Ironically angry at pretentiousness of MD's

And for posterity, from the OP's entitlement blog:

I must get a life

I just finished my 1st semester as a pre-med; and I got a 3.823721830230 that I'm not happy with.

I like my college because it is easy and because people here think that I'm a genius.

I got recommended to become a tutor for our Writing Center. Then got a f*ckin' B from the instructor who recommended me. Bitch!!

Ahhh, that felt good.

I have yet to score below a 100 on any Calculus exam.

I have been in this town (Conway, AR) for 4 months, and the only friends I have are the people I know from work.

I live with 3 other random black guys who don't know how to clean up after themselves. And the other guy is white; we've only seen him twice this whole semester.

I live with a guy whose diet consists of processed lunch meat and white bread burnt on an iron skillet.

I have a crush on this black chick who's a Chem major -- I'm now a Pre-Med Chem major.

I study too hard ... I must get a life.

But first, I must get my 4.0 dammit!

Yeah, the guy who writes his GPA out to the 15th digit to internet strangers and calls someone a bitch for 'GIVING' him a B is unhappy that people tell him he shouldn't be diagnosing anything.

What is the show that represents all blacks? I'd love to watch it. I once thought the Cosby Show represented all blacks, but figured since not all blacks are well-to-do OB-GYNs, maybe it was just portraying one small, fictionalized slice of life in a very diverse culture within a culture. Much like boondocks.
:thumbup::thumbup: