Personal Statement Readers 2009 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too early to start a list of readers for the cycle beginning in June 2008?

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine some people have already written theirs. I haven't yet, but have been thinking about it. I need to get on it soon!

I've got a draft who likes to read em?? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't mind at all reading personal statements is you want to PM me. However, I am by no means an expert. It would just be some extra advice/input.

I've read for a few people and wouldn't mind reading a few more.

I am more than willing to read any personal statements I just can't guarantee how fast or slow the turnaround might be. I'm only in the process of reading one now that I will finish by tomorrow so I'm pretty open. My semester so far isn't very tough and over the summer I will be doing nothing but playing with my kids so I will be free to help then too if anyone wants to PM me. :)

Its great having helpful veterans around, I'll be pming you all shortly and thanks in advance!

I am no longer accepting PS for review. I wish you all the best during the application cycle!

Last edited:
I'm working on my personal statement.. It's very difficult to get started and have a nice finish. Thanks in advance for the members who are willing to edit this cycle's PS!

i will keep in mind those of you who offered to read them, so if you change your mind you better edit your post b/c i will be contacting you within the next month :)

I'll read. Just PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been working on mine for 3 years LOL :p Gonna finally bite the bullet and apply so I'm in the process of reworking it. Mostly it's been scrawled in a notebook on long flights although I did print the AAMC essay I wrote in 2005 so I have a copy of that too. One thing I've done is go through and re-read my posts on SDN and the PA Forum over the past 3 years to see what my recurrent themes are. For me it's important to explain why med school after being a PA for seven-plus years.
I've served on a PA adcom and have read many PA essays. Will be happy to read some MD/DO statements too. Just PM me. I'll be hitting some of you up in the next couple of weeks as well since you offered.
Cool thread! Thanks!
Lisa

I'm more than happy to read anyone's PS. Send me a private message if you'd like me to review yours.

I highly recommend essayedge.com. I sent mine in and the editor made it so much better! It is little pricey, but I think it is worth it.

I'm down. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want an extra pair of eyes

:)

Man..I wish I'd had someone who had been through all this to read mine!

I won't mind reading a few too, after finals week though which is next week, you can PM me and I'll give you my e-mail or something, but I'm not exactly sure how the PM thing works though haha. If I don't respond then message me on here!

I don't mind reading and giving feedback on PS. I have done it for some friends, and I have written both the AMCAS and the AACOMAS personal statements. Feel free to PM me.

I highly recommend essayedge.com. I sent mine in and the editor made it so much better! It is little pricey, but I think it is worth it.

I looked at that, then looked at my checkbook and you arent lyin about it being pricey. However, I may bite the bullet and go that route anyway

hahaha

I'm available to read personal statements as well. PM me.

I would love to read some personal statements- PM me :)

I'm willing to read, so just PM me. I got into several schools this cycle as a non-trad, and am more than willing to help anyone out with this crazy process. Good luck!

Can I just say that you guys are incredible? Thanks in advance for your help. :)

same here. you can pm me or am me. im available all day.

I would be happy to read personal statements....I'll try to have them back in 24 hours. PM me.

is there anyone who would be willing to read my P.S.? I need all the help I can get:scared:

I know alot of people put tons of emphasis on GPA's and MCAT scores, but the personal statement is HUGE. Think about it... this is the one chance you get to make an application that everyone gets STAND OUT and make you unique. You want your personal statement to grab its reader and leave an impression and even excite them. Someone with the greatest stats can be turned away merely because their communication level in their PS is down. I really enjoyed writing my personal statement.

If anyone wants help writing/editing, let me know.

I'm definately down to read over a few if anyone needs it. As far as credentials go, I scored a T on the MCAT writing section... just send it via PM I suppose

I am willing to go over any personal statements. Just PM it to me and I will try my best.

-Matthew

I pretty much completed my personal statement, however, it's neither geared toward allopathic nor osteopathic programs (I'm applying to both). In other words, I can use it to apply to both types of schools. So my question is, should I make some changes to specifically accommodate DO schools? If I needed to add something in regard to DO program, how much should I add? A few sentences or a paragraph?

The dilemma I'm having right now is that my PS is a pretty good, and I've already maxed out the limit for words count; even a few sentences may result in me having to go back and make significant changes on the essay to fit the new information. Even though I wrote why I wanted to go to medical schools, would it go against me if I didn't state why I chose DO schools ?

question about persona statements, i'm only applying to DO schools this year so my persona statement is based around the DO philosophy. SHould i make it neutral? or bias it towards D.O? and any readers? i need some honest opinion,
thanks

Man this is awesome. Look at all this support and help. Like one big happy family and I am not being sarcastic. The medical community is great and eager to help one another out. I have noticed that several times in the last couple of years on this path.

But I do want to ask one thing.........Who's willing and ready to write a PS????? :D

Hey guys! Just wanted to throw my name out there for anyone thats looking for some help..... Im applying this cycle as well, but have already submitted to both AMCAS and AACOM.

I graduated this spring and spent the last 3 years as a peer reader in my university's writing center. Also was very close to getting a second degree in English. I will take a glance at your PS if you want, will do some grammar and whatnot but will mostly look at the PS as a whole for flow, organization, readability. Good luck all!

PS - trust me, work hard at this PS and get it done..... it will be a huge weight lifted off your shoulders!

also, please send me a PM first and I will contact you back when I get a chance. Id rather not have you send me your personal statement right away incase I get busy for a few days. Thanks :)

Last edited:
I'm in the process of completing my AACOM personal statement. How long does the personal statement have to be? my personal statement is two pages and 681 words. is that enough?

I'm in the process of completing my AACOM personal statement. How long does the personal statement have to be? my personal statement is two pages and 681 words. is that enough?

How many characters is your statement? The max limit is 4500.

I'm also going to volunteer to read and critique personal statements for DO school applications. PM me your personal statement if you want me to read it.

Good luck to those seeking admission and good luck to those starting med school this year!

are there any readers for supplemental apps? it'd be greatly appreciated!

hello everyone! Is it crucial to write all medical experiences we've had in the past in our personal statements? I don't have very many experiences and I mainly wrote about things that shaped me in my life and how I came to decide on being a doctor.

hello everyone! Is it crucial to write all medical experiences we've had in the past in our personal statements? I don't have very many experiences and I mainly wrote about things that shaped me in my life and how I came to decide on being a doctor.

you are golden. They dont want to read a spitting image of your resume that lists all of the things you have done. Thats why you fill out the primary application.

Taking a one or two key expereinces (they dont always have to be medical) and how they have influenced your life is the way to go. You sound like you have done just that.

good luck!

Thank you!! You've been such a great help to me this application cycle!

Would Anyone Like To Read My Ps?! Please??

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but to me it really matters... So here goes. When they say 5300 characters as a cap for your personal statement, does that include spaces? I'm hovering around 5290-something without them, but man would it suck to prune this thing down further...

actually, the 5,300 character limit is for the AMCAS personal statement.

for AACOMAS, the limit is 4,500 characters.

both include spaces...sorry, buddy. :(

actually, the 5,300 character limit is for the AMCAS personal statement.

for AACOMAS, the limit is 4,500 characters.

both include spaces...sorry, buddy. :(

OH MAN!!!!!! Well, I can't say that I'm happy to hear about the lower character cap, but this is VERY good information. Thank you!