What Can I Do With Masters In Psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sexyDMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a bachelors in biology and a minor in psychology. I was thinking of gettin a masters in psychology but what can i do with it exactly. thanx:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. There are actually quite a few different types of master's degrees in psych, and depending on which kind you choose you'll have different opportunities. Let's go through some of the options:

1) A terminal, practice-focused degree in clinical psychology: Some states and provinces allow master's level clinicians to provide assessment and therapy services, either independently or when supervised by a doctoral level psychologist. These programs would prepare you for such a career.

2) A research-based, experimental psychology degree: These degrees, which can be general experimental or more focused on a subdiscipline (e.g., master's in cognitive psych, master's in developmental psych) are highly research-focused and would prepare you for a career as a lab manager or research assistant, among other things.

3) A master's in industrial/organizational psychology. I don't know too much about these degrees, except that research is involved and that graduates have a variety of applied opportunities, including consulting.

Aside from the types of jobs I mentioned above, there are also some opportunities in policy, research, teaching and health care that simply require a master's degree in a social science-related field. These might be of interest to you eventually.

Also, some master's programs also exist primarily to prepare you for doctoral work in various subfields of psychology. You mention master's degrees specifically in your post so I assume you're not interested in pursuing a doctorate.

I also want to caution that many of these programs are quite competitive, and that you will most likely need either extremely good grades and GRE scores or some research or clinical experience in order to be an attractive applicant. Good luck! Let me know if you have more questions.

Good question. There are actually quite a few different types of master's degrees in psych, and depending on which kind you choose you'll have different opportunities. Let's go through some of the options:

1) A terminal, practice-focused degree in clinical psychology: Some states and provinces allow master's level clinicians to provide assessment and therapy services, either independently or when supervised by a doctoral level psychologist. These programs would prepare you for such a career.

I'd like to hear more about option number 1. I'm a PhD applicant this cycle who was rejected everywhere I applied. I'm also a non-trad (older) applicant, so I'm thinking that instead of waiting another year and potentially not getting into PhD programs next year as well, that maybe I would go for a master's instead. My career goal is a private practice psychologist. What are the options in these kinds of master's degree programs?

I have read about a master's in marriage and family therapy. Anyone know much about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure about the autonomy of practice for an MS in clinical psych, as from my understanding these are not a licensable degree. Some states may have different laws that allow to be licensed under something like an LMHC, but I wouldn't go into it with that in mind.

I believe people can conduct certain assessments at that level, but it'd be under the supervision of a licensed clinical psychologist. The vast majority of assessments (particularly the interpretation) are done by doctoral level people, as the training can be quite complex. Also, test companies are not allow to sell most psych assessments to anyone who isn't doctorally trained and licensed. I wouldn't suggest this avenue for long-term work, as the pay is not very good.....though as a stepping stone for a Ph.D. or Psy.D. program it can be an option.

I'm not really familiar with any programs that are specifically an MS in clinical psychology, but maybe someone else can provide some info on that.

Hey everyone I have a bachelors in biology and a minor in psychology. I was thinking of gettin a masters in psychology but what can i do with it exactly. thanx:confused:

I have an MA in Experimental Psych. I was a research assistant in four different places, and a project manager in a marketing research firm.

I'm getting my Ph.D. in Social Psych starting this fall, which opens a few other doors.

I'd like to hear more about option number 1. I'm a PhD applicant this cycle who was rejected everywhere I applied. I'm also a non-trad (older) applicant, so I'm thinking that instead of waiting another year and potentially not getting into PhD programs next year as well, that maybe I would go for a master's instead. My career goal is a private practice psychologist. What are the options in these kinds of master's degree programs?

I have read about a master's in marriage and family therapy. Anyone know much about this?

I'm actually from Ontario, where "psychological associates" are licensed professionals. In order to register with the college as a psych associate, you require a masters degree in psychology and at least four years of relevant, post-masters degree experience. You could check out your state's licensing body and see if there's a similar license-- I know licensed professional counsellors exist in many states, and there are programs that offer terminal M.A. degrees to prepare you for such a career. These terminal programs are usually not funded. A quick google search should give you a decent idea of what's out there.

As for marriage and family therapy, here's a link for a list of the state licensing boards:

http://www.aamft.org/resources/Online_Directories/boardcontacts.asp

Good luck!

* become an online tutor :)

* design small business surveys for customer and worker satisfaction

* policy analysis for government and non-gov

* customer service training workshops for staff

* motivational speaker/workshop facilitator

* dog obediance trainer

* youth mentor

* grant writer

...you'll be so popular and needed that you'll wonder why you didn't do it ages ago

You can do testing such as IQ, neuropsych, and personality with a 2-year master's degree in my state. You would, of course, do this under the supervision of a PhD. The pay is relatively good, as I recently received a notice for a VA job conducting neuropsych tests for a clinical neuropsychologist starting at $45k with an upper bound of $55k with prior experience.

In my state, you certainly can practice independently with a master's and a LPC. You can get further certification in a variety of specialties--substance abuse, sex therapy, whatever. Hospitals also hire clinicians, usually LPCs, to do mental health consults in the ER and on the medical floors.

And if you aren't licensed, you can work for an agency and get supervision toward licensure while practicing (although you'll pretty much be restricted to self-pay clients). I have a MEd in Counseling, and I work for community mental health services on the crisis team.

Unless you want to teach, administer tests or do research, a master's is probably just fine :)

Ok, Im a school psychologist, with a Masters in School Counseling with specialization in School Psychology. I make about 85,000 in California. However, I made a mistake and should have worked it another way. What you need to do is, get a MA in Psychology, with emphasis in MFT, take an internship and get the credential in School Psychology that way you will have two avenues to go and one, make money and two, start your private practice. Also, with the MA in Psychology you are elgible to take the LPC test, which in California it has not passed fully, but it will. This licence is better than the MFT, and it is recipical with other states in the union. Hope this helped some folks, if you need some more breakdowns, let me know. School Psy:laugh:

Thrak,
Where and in what field did you do your undergrad? Which Social Psych PhD program are you in? How's it going? What would you like to do after graduation? I'm applying to a few Social Psych PhD programs this year.

Thanks!

I have an MA in Experimental Psych. I was a research assistant in four different places, and a project manager in a marketing research firm.

I'm getting my Ph.D. in Social Psych starting this fall, which opens a few other doors.

Thrak what are you going to do with the social PhD? I'm in an MA in general psych program will a social concentration and no sure whether I'm interested in a PhD.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 thewesternsky's answer. I agree with pretty much all of it.

M.Ed. in counseling psych here. I know my classmates are all working on their LPCs and LMFTs right now. PhD supervision can slow you down a bit, but over time good supervisors will be able to trust in your abilities and train you in their specialties. At master's level you can definitely practice and do assessments (with supervision).

The only partial disadvantages to a MA degree I would say are the need for supervision in some contexts (mainly therapy) and potential average salary cap. However there are plenty of master's level people out there right now making more than most PhDs will. So there are always exceptions as one poster pointed out he/she being one of them.

What are my options with an MA in forensic psychology? I live in NY and it's very competitive. PLEASE HELP!

With a MA in forensic psychology? It depends on your program's training and the state. You could work as a psych clinician in a correctional setting, you could with supervision do assessments and evaluations, work multiple positions ranging from case manager to parole officer in corrections, act as an expert witness, etc etc.

The best would be find someone who is a PhD or MA forensic psychology in your area and ask them.

what does a masters in forensic psychology entail anyway? My understanding is that there is little if any clinical training involved here.

What are my options with an MA in forensic psychology? I live in NY and it's very competitive. PLEASE HELP!

I'm finishing up my MA in Forensic Psych at John Jay. PM me if you have any questions.

I pretty much agree with all everyone has said. Just make sure that wherever you live, that you can get licensed to practice. I understand that some states can license you as an LPC or MFT if you have a MA or MS in clinical psychology. However some states are specific as to what your education has been. Such as, the LPC license in Michigan I believe requires that you have taken 1-2 courses in vocational counseling or multicultural counseling. Most MA psychology programs that I know of do not have courses related to vocational or multicultural counseling.

Either way, there are ways to get a decent job with a MA or MS. I would, however, surf around the net to see what the job market is in the state or area that you live in or plan to move to. Since the job market is crappy all over you should be careful as to where you look for work. The last thing you'd want is to get a good job and then you're laid-off due to budget cuts.

I know some other people have kind of already answered this question for you, but I figure I'll add to it anyway. I'm going through the application process for a masters in marriage and family therapy and I had my first interview this last Friday. In California (where I'm from), you can become a licensed, practicing therapist with this degree once you pass the licensing exam and gain a certain amount of experience working with clients. You can work with individuals, couples and families in private practice, clinics, hospitals, etc. and you can also made diagnostic assessments. Hope that helps...ask me if you have any questions :)

Hi, I came across your post and I wanted to ask you a few questions. You mentioned you are a practicing clinician with a Masters degree. What state are you located? I have a BA in Interdisciplinary Studies (Sociology & Psychology) and I will be finished with my MA in Psychology in October of this year. I have always wanted to be a Counseling Psychologist, but I do not feel I would be prepared financially or educationally to begin a PsyD program anytime soon, although I would like to work in a counseling capacity. I am just so lost at this point and scared out of my wits to graduate because I have no plan and will have to deal with my student loans. I just moved back to Illinois from Texas and a PsyD or PhD is required to be a counseling psychologist. Any advice? How can I use what I have to work in a counseling capacity?

Elizabeth

Hi,

Who is your question addressed to? I'm not sure if you were asking me or someone else. But if you were asking me, I'm not a clinician, I'm still an undergrad. I'm applying to MA programs right now for marriage and family therapy. I'm from CA, and in CA you can practice with a MA as a marriage and family therapist or as a counselor. You would just be a therapist rather than a psychologist. Or if you do you school psych program you can be a school psychologist with a masters. I'm not sure about other states, but I think I've heard that some other states allow you to practice with a masters as well.

Hi, I came across your post and I wanted to ask you a few questions. You mentioned you are a practicing clinician with a Masters degree. What state are you located? I have a BA in Interdisciplinary Studies (Sociology & Psychology) and I will be finished with my MA in Psychology in October of this year. I have always wanted to be a Counseling Psychologist, but I do not feel I would be prepared financially or educationally to begin a PsyD program anytime soon, although I would like to work in a counseling capacity. I am just so lost at this point and scared out of my wits to graduate because I have no plan and will have to deal with my student loans. I just moved back to Illinois from Texas and a PsyD or PhD is required to be a counseling psychologist. Any advice? How can I use what I have to work in a counseling capacity?

Elizabeth

Hi,

I have my bachelor's degree in english and a minor in psychology. I would like to do research in psychology as a career. Currently I am only interested in research, not teaching or clinical psychology. Is getting a MA in psychology enough, or should I go for a PhD?

Hi,

I have my bachelor's degree in english and a minor in psychology. I would like to do research in psychology as a career. Currently I am only interested in research, not teaching or clinical psychology. Is getting a MA in psychology enough, or should I go for a PhD?

In 99 out of 100 cases you will run into problems if you want a research only career and do not have a doctoral-level degree. Most if not all postings I have seen for research opportunities require a doctoral level degree to be the Primary Investigator. You will want to be a PI if this is your career choice, so not having a degree will severely limit your chances to be successful.

Hello,

My masters degree is in Physiological Psychology, a terminal program. I have done mostly hospital based technical work in EEG. I am interested in behavioral counseling for people with epilepsy and insomnia, but I do not have a counseling degree. My state of Oregon states that a license is not required to do counseling. It is required to bill insurance, but I am thinking of calling myself an Educational Therapist or something like that and doing cash-pay. Is anyone doing this?

Thanks,
harp

Many years ago, I was a student in a top-rated Clinical Psych PhD program, did well and was admitted to candidacy after my first year.

But a bad marriage and some disllusionment with the program emphasis (at the time markedly "traditional") led me to finish my MA in 1976 and do other things. (Subsequently, my thesis was published internationally in Behavior Genetics and I had a chance to return, but foolishly did not.)

I'm old now. It happens ... I've been in high tech for 30 years, am now semi-retired and considering trying to get back to my original career goal of working with disadvantaged kids and young folks needing guidance - something I had a real talent for even before obtaining my degree.

In Texas, where I now live, the LPC requires 3000 hours of Phd supervision and passing the NCE exam.

Seeking opinions on a couple of questions ...

1) How hard will it be for me to pass the NCE after being out of the field so long? I took a very brief sample test and was surprised at how much I did remember and was still considered relevant.

2) What would be the best preparation for NCE - retaking course work (what courses?) , auditing, reviewing appropriate textbooks etc. or just using a study guide or similar test-specific tutoring. Specific recommendations?

3) Will anyone be willing to take on an Intern over 60 years of age? Most of my fellow PhD candidates still in town are likely approaching retirement.

4) Given the 3000 hours requirement and the difficulty in finding a sponsor, would it be easier to just get my PhD? Crazy, I know.

Or perhaps, a more general question ... should I be looking at other states that will permit me to work with the MA in Clinical Psych alone? What are those states? I take it Oregon is one?

I'm not really looking to do serious therapy, just work with kids in a counseling and teaching role.

Thanks in advance for sharing your time and thoughts.

Hello All:
Thinking about getting an MS in psych, will it help me in my quest to get a PhD, eventually I would like to go into private practice and I'm also wondering if I should get it online or at a traditional university..

Thanks!

1) How hard will it be for me to pass the NCE after being out of the field so long? I took a very brief sample test and was surprised at how much I did remember and was still considered relevant.

If you know the material, you will be fine.

2) What would be the best preparation for NCE - retaking course work (what courses?) , auditing, reviewing appropriate textbooks etc. or just using a study guide or similar test-specific tutoring. Specific recommendations?

I don’t think retaking course work is necessary unless you feel your knowledge is truly inadequate. You said that you were surprised by how much you remembered after taking the sample exam, so maybe using a review text would help. Amazon.com has some listed.

3) Will anyone be willing to take on an Intern over 60 years of age? Most of my fellow PhD candidates still in town are likely approaching retirement.

I don't know.

4) Given the 3000 hours requirement and the difficulty in finding a sponsor, would it be easier to just get my PhD? Crazy, I know.

Not crazy. If you want to get the LPC, check the licensure laws in your state. If your main interest is clinical work, I don’t know if the PhD is the right for you. Do you have research experience? Do you like research?

It will take maybe 5-7 years to do your coursework + internship in a PhD program and then you will have to also go through the process for getting licensed as a psychologist in your state. With an LPC, you can finish the 3000 hour required in about two years or so and then you are done. The main issue is finding a site and supervisor, whereas with the PhD route you will have to do more work and spend more time completing the requirements in order to get licensed.

Or perhaps, a more general question ... should I be looking at other states that will permit me to work with the MA in Clinical Psych alone? What are those states? I take it Oregon is one?

It is my understanding that you can work with an MA in Clinical Psychology without having a license, this may vary in some states, but that is rare. Most insurance companies do not reimburse treatment performed by unlicensed professionals.

I'm not really looking to do serious therapy, just work with kids in a counseling and teaching role.

If you are not interested in doing serious therapy, the counselor path seems good for you.

Hello All:
Thinking about getting an MS in psych, will it help me in my quest to get a PhD, eventually I would like to go into private practice and I'm also wondering if I should get it online or at a traditional university..

Thanks!

There are many threads that address this question. You can search for these posts on this forum and the Clinical Psychology PhD/PsyD forum.

I'm new to this - but desperately looking for guidance anywhere I can find it. I have an M.S. in Counseling and am an LPC in my state. I want to shift to school psychology, for more security in the future, and because I'm completely burnt on the counseling gig.

For School Psych, my M.S. is worthless, so I'm looking at virtually starting over. My question: Can I get an on-line M.S. in Psychology and then do an "internship" on my own - would this fulfill the requirements for licensure as a school psychologist?? Each state is so different....some say M.S. plus additional coursework, some say Ed.S. required, some want the Praxis II, etc. State psychology boards and DOEs are less than helpful in approving an arrangement before I commit to it.

I am 43 years old, have a family, a full-time job...no way can I enter a full-time 3-year Ed.S. program. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

For School Psych, my M.S. is worthless, so I'm looking at virtually starting over. My question: Can I get an on-line M.S. in Psychology and then do an "internship" on my own - would this fulfill the requirements for licensure as a school psychologist?? Each state is so different....some say M.S. plus additional coursework, some say Ed.S. required, some want the Praxis II, etc. State psychology boards and DOEs are less than helpful in approving an arrangement before I commit to it.

You will need to complete a degree in school psychology. The length and number of credits depend on the state in which you want to practice. I'm not sure if they have online programs for school psychology, though I doubt it. A large portion of the training for school psychology is assessment, and the assessments are such that you'll need to do them in person....so I'm not sure how online learning would do that. Check with your state licensing board about what they require to become a school psychologist. Then check to see which programs meet those requirements. As for finding an internship on your own.....it will still need to be vetted by your university. Ultimately the state has the final say if training is sufficient, so I'd recommend making doubly sure the site doesn't have any issues, because you would be putting yourself at risk to have to repeat the internship year.

Graduate training isn't for everyone, and often times it requires quite a bit of sacrifice to happen. School psychology can offer some nice opportunities, however it is far from a guarantee that you'll always have a job. There has been a large increase in the number of professionals coming out in the last few years, both with specialist degrees and doctoral degrees.

I know a couple of people who graduated 4-5 years ago and they had a number of offers to practice. More recently I knew someone who graduated and they were able to continue where they did their internship, but the market was much tighter. Due to budget issues, many school districts have shuffled around their staff and often re-assigned staff to multiple schools. It isn't like that everywhere, but it is worth investigating what the districts do in your area, and also to find out what kind of work they do. Some school psychologists spend 99% of their time testing, while others are much more integrated into the system.

Thank you for your insights....it's tough to get information. I'm looking specifically at Texas, where the Board of Psychology issues the "LSSP" and requires either NCSP (which would be the full-time Ed.S. program) OR a master's in psychology with appropriate coursework and the internship. My LPC doesn't have the earning capability in other parts of the country I thought it would, and there appear to always be openings for school psychs with decent pay. And, I love assessment and kids. Do you know much about Capella's school psych program? It's terribly expensive, and they are NASP approved CONDITIONALLY (a big concern in my opinion). LOTS of discernment on whether I have enough years of working left to make it worth the work and money of grad school, if that makes sense. Opinions? Give it to me straight...I need a reality check. Thanks again.

And, I love assessment and kids. Do you know much about Capella's school psych program? It's terribly expensive, and they are NASP approved CONDITIONALLY (a big concern in my opinion). LOTS of discernment on whether I have enough years of working left to make it worth the work and money of grad school, if that makes sense. Opinions? Give it to me straight...I need a reality check. Thanks again.

Honestly....stay far far away from online programs. I'm not saying they are all bad, but there is a stigma associated with them that will follow you. Most of the people I know who did school psychology did it part-time over a number of years. You won't get done in 3 years going that route, but you'll be able to get a quality education, not give up having to work, and eventually be able to be a school psychologist.

I'm not really familiar with non-doctoral school psychology programs, though as long as it is acred. (you are right to be concerned about any program that isn't in good standing) and it has a proven track record of placing school psychologists into good positions, you should be fine.

I'm new to this - but desperately looking for guidance anywhere I can find it. I have an M.S. in Counseling and am an LPC in my state. I want to shift to school psychology, for more security in the future, and because I'm completely burnt on the counseling gig.

I am 43 years old, have a family, a full-time job...no way can I enter a full-time 3-year Ed.S. program. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I believe Seton Hall now has a distance learning ED.S. And, JMO, but any stigma from "online" schools would likely be outweighed with a name like Seton Hall on the degree.

Ok, Im a school psychologist, with a Masters in School Counseling with specialization in School Psychology. I make about 85,000 in California. However, I made a mistake and should have worked it another way. What you need to do is, get a MA in Psychology, with emphasis in MFT, take an internship and get the credential in School Psychology that way you will have two avenues to go and one, make money and two, start your private practice. Also, with the MA in Psychology you are elgible to take the LPC test, which in California it has not passed fully, but it will. This licence is better than the MFT, and it is recipical with other states in the union. Hope this helped some folks, if you need some more breakdowns, let me know. School Psy:laugh:
Hi. I do need to hear more info about becoming school or child psychologist. Currently, I have a bachelors in Education. I'm enrolling in a masters program, and need to find out which direction to take to become a school psych. I'm in TN.

Hello,

My masters degree is in Physiological Psychology, a terminal program. I have done mostly hospital based technical work in EEG. I am interested in behavioral counseling for people with epilepsy and insomnia, but I do not have a counseling degree. My state of Oregon states that a license is not required to do counseling. It is required to bill insurance, but I am thinking of calling myself an Educational Therapist or something like that and doing cash-pay. Is anyone doing this?

Thanks,
harp

Practicing outside of your scope is NOT recommended. While a license may not be required, that doesn't mean you should hang a shingle. You would put yourself at risk for ethical and legal issues.

ok I am earning my masters degree in the science of psychology at an online school. I was recently told, after giving them several thousand dollars of my money and a year or more of my time that this degree will not get me the family therapy carreer I had been hoping for. I am very upset. What can I do with this degree, and is there a way to get into the clinical psychology feild without having to give the school another 17,000 dollars of my hard earned money? i live in Nevada, if that helps. Does anyone know wheather i can apply to "clean the floors" and work my way up and where to apply? I am a bit fruterated and lost here.

Last edited:
This board has long professed the dangers of "online" education in psychology. The online training model is a poor fit for psychology and basically makes psychologists and therapists look like intellectually inferior jokes, especially in hospitals and medical centers where our peers are psychiatrists and other medical providers. Most (especially academics and physicians) still view online education as the same as vocational trade schools/degrees (Devry, Wyotech, etc).
If you want to study and/or practice psychology, my suggestion is that you apply to a traditional university where your degree will be respected and accredited, and their goal is the education of scientists, NOT on making a profit.

People do not work there way up from "cleaning floors" to becoming therapists or clinical psychologists. This is not Wall Street. You will need to get the proper education and practicum experience in order to obtain the competencies needed to practice effectively and legally (and get licensed).

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks,
harp

This is ABSOLUTELY ILLEGAL and unethical. You would prove to be incompetent to provide these services and put clients at serious harm by attempting this move.

This is ABSOLUTELY ILLEGAL and unethical. You would prove to be incompetent to provide these services and put clients at serious harm by attempting this move.

I don't know about your state, but in Colorado you absolutely can open a private practice, call yourself a "psychotherapist", and conduct psychotherapy WITHOUT ANY TRAINING WHATSOEVER. Is it ethical? Of course not. Yet it is totally legal.

I don't know about your state, but in Colorado you absolutely can open a private practice, call yourself a "psychotherapist", and conduct psychotherapy WITHOUT ANY TRAINING WHATSOEVER. Is it ethical? Of course not. Yet it is totally legal.

Where I live, there are "clairvoyants" who call themselves psychotherapists and provide "psychological" services. It makes me die a little inside every time. :mad:

Hi! I am very new to this site. I have BS in psychology. I can finish BSN in next 2yrs. But I am delimma whether i should start my master or bachleor in nursing. I am confused. Please help me out.

Hi! I am very new to this site. I have BS in psychology. I can finish BSN in next 2yrs. But I am delimma whether i should start my master or bachleor in nursing. I am confused. Please help me out.

It's important to consider that nurses make more and have better job opportunities/security. Have you considered interviewing practicing master's level therapists and nurses? Volunteering at a hospital or community mental health center?

I have a Masters degree in Psychology (biopsych track) from Cornell University, 2001. The last 9 years, I've been living in Hungary (Europe), where I did a 3-year program in cognitive and behavior therapy, which was not a degree, but a certificate program, so now here I have the title of psychotherapist. I have 3 years of clinical experience providing psychotherapy in a number of settings, including hospitals, clinics and private practice.

I want to move back to the States, but I wonder what my degree and experience qualify me for? I tried doing job searches, and I'm now rather discouraged. I don't even know what keywords to search for, honestly.

What can I do with a Masters in psychology? Could I possibly transfer my certificate and get licensed at the master's level (LMHC)? Which state would it be easiest? And even if I do get licensed at the masters level, most of the jobs I've seen are paid per diem, and I'm not even sure what that means. I get paid by the day??? Are there any counseling jobs that are full time, with benefits?

And if I don't want to do counseling anymore, what other options do I have with this background? Please give me concrete ideas for what I can enter into job searches. Someone suggested research assistant positions, but most of those I saw wanted a BA only, and I feel like with my education and experience, I'd be overqualified.

What about industry jobs?

Thanks!

Your best option is to contact the state licensing board wherever you plan to live and ask them. They will probably tell you to contact a company that does equivilancy evaluations for foreign degrees/training. Some companies are better than others, so you should probably ask them for a recommendation. Once you have their report, then you can go back to the licensing board and find out what you will need for licensure.

Hello, I'm a young (2nd year undergrad.) student just looking for helpful tips, maybe statistics or any other relevant fact about where the field is heading in the near future...

what kind of degree would be best to have in 5-7 years... i'm open to all fields of Psych, except school... (once I finish, get me out of here! haha)

Research or Clinical both sound good to me... behavioral, except I'm allergic to animal hair... and the salary for an ethologist doesn't look too attractive...

just looking for random help, suggestions, advice, etc... thanks

-WhatKindaPsych :scared:

You may want to check out this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=714255

It is aimed at doctoral training, but it links to some basic information about a career in psychology. The best advice is to take some time and read through the threads in both the MA/MS and Psy.D./Ph.D. forums. It is a lot of information, but the variety of threads and topics will give you a a better perspective about your options.

I am almost finished with my MS in Educational Counseling, would it be a wiser decision to go for a PhD or my LPC? I feel like if i go for my PhD I need to start over again because I haven't taken many psychology courses. Do I need to start over with a MA/MS in Psychology?