30+ MCAT Study Habits- The CBT Version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omegaxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Your individual scores and composite score
PS=14 VR=13 WS=Q BS=14 Composite=41Q

2) The study method used for each section
PS&BS: Reviewed all the materials (except Organic Chem, because I just finished a year long O. Chem course and knew it like the back of my hand). Practiced.
VR: Practice, practice, practice.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Princeton Review all the way.

4) Which practice tests did you use?
Princeton Review all the way.
I also bought AAMC 4-6 for building confidence two weeks before the actual exam.

5) What was your undergraduate major?
Pharmacology & English, although I took the exam after sophomore year so I just had the prereq sciences and five English courses under my belt.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Read smartly, and read a lot, not just textbooks and scientific papers and newspaper, but also materials in the humanities department.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?
2.5 months (~10 weeks), averaging ~3 hrs/day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users

10/9/11 (PS/VR/BS)
Total score: 30Q

This forum has been a great help to me. I just barely make the cutoff to be able to post in this thread, but I hope that I have some useful advice to pass on to you.

PS: Read threw the EK books for physics and general chemistry. I had just finished gen chem a few months ago and am strong in that area so I just brushed up a little. After realizing a deficiency in physics, especially physics I material, I got the EK 1001 physics book and went through a lot of problems. I probably did about a 1/3 of the problems in a week. My scores on practice tests went up considerably after that. Was honestly kind of bummed by my PS score, because I felt very confident about it walking out of the test.

VR: Read through the EK strategy a few times over, and took maybe 5 of the EK 101 tests. Got an 11 on the last one I took, then got a little lazy and stopped taking them.

BS: I didn't study at all for this section, besides taking practice tests and reviewing them. I'm a bio-related major and felt confident about my knowledge. I was taking organic I & II this summer, while studying for the MCAT, so I did not review any organic material either. Unfortunately, I was not prepared well for difficult organic passages, and got nailed by two. I really only knew the essential concepts, did not know any specific reactions.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

EK all the way. I bought the Kaplan Guide to 45 book and thumbed through their advice. I did some of the passages in that as well. I'd say it was a complete waste but I ended up following their WS advice completely. I didn't really practice the WS much but got a decent score because of that.

Kaplan 1 - 9 PS / 9 VR / 7 BS = 25
Kaplan 2 - 9 PS / 10 VR / 7 BS = 26
Kaplan 3 - 8 PS / 9 VR / 8 BS = 25
AAMC 4 - 9 PS / 10 VR / 9 BS = 28
Kaplan 4 - 10 PS / 10 VR / 10 BS = 30
AAMC 5 - 10 PS / 11 VR / 11 BS = 32
TPR Diagnostic - 9 PS / 6 VR / 9 BS = 24
AAMC 7 - 7 PS / 9 VR / 10 BS = 26
TPR 6 - 8 PS / 9 VR / 9 BS = 26
AAMC 8 - 10 PS / 9 VR / 10 BS = 29
AAMC 6 - 11 PS / 11 VR / 10 BS = 32
AAMC 9 - 12 PS / 9 VR / 11 BS = 32
AAMC 3 - 10 PS / 9 VR / 9 BS = 28
AAMC 10 - 13 PS / 9 VR / 10 BS = 32
AAMC AVG - 10.25 PS / 9.62 VR / 10.0 BS = 29.88

I like to say I got a 32 on my last three practices, because when I took #3 I was kinda careless (I took it at night after a long day at work). So, I was hoping for a 32 on the actual test. However, being that my overall AAMC average was a 30, I am extremely content with my score.

I was unhappy with the Kaplan tests and would not personally recommend them. I thought the TPR tests were better, although the verbal on them was unfairly deceptive. The AAMC tests were great and were quite similar to the actual test. If I were to do this again I would have also tried the TBR tests that everyone seems to like.

Biomolecular sciences, chem minor

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

If you have gotten A's in all of your basic science courses (come on, they're not that hard) you should not have to spend very long reviewing the material. You certainly do not need to consider a prep course, they will feed you at least 75% garbage material that is beyond the scope of what you need to know. Prep courses only have a use for those who haven't taken the courses in 5+ years AND probably didn't do well in them; if you got an A in the course, you can brush up on the material by yourself. You will need to become a self-learner at some point. So if you aren't already, why not now.

Besides taking practice tests, I never considered reviewing for the BS material, because I knew plenty and what I needed brushing up on would be obvious after taking the tests. I believe most of your time should be spent taking and reviewing practice tests. If you are diligent about checking your answers and reviewing your shaky areas, you have the opportunity to destroy this test. I would recommend the EK set to just about anyone. Supplementing shaky areas with the 1001 or 101 series books they provide is also a good idea.

Looking back, I should have reviewed my practice test answers more than once (unfortunately, was taking two summer courses and working while studying). I should have also taken all of the EK 101 VR tests, I know I could have done better than a 9. Also, after taking the test I kick myself for not studying the organic sections, and would probably recommend spending more time on that. More time than none, at least.

About 2 1/2 months. I studied pretty much every day for 1-2 hours. Adding in practice test days, I'd estimate roughly 150 hours. If I didn't have to work and take summer organic I would have studied more, but I did what I could manage. I tried my best to realize when I started feeling burnt out, so about halfway through I took a 3-day vacation from studying.

There's a point where you start to get diminishing returns from studying. I'm a firm believer that no one should study for more than 3-4 months for this test. I have friends who studied for almost a year, several hours a day, and scored sub-20 (and they are bright people).

Study enough to make yourself confident. Don't let anyone tell you that you must study for 3+ months. Also, don't buy into the 8-12 hours studying per day advice... Seems like such a huge waste of life to me. Other than that, be smart, be aware of burnout, and do things your way. Good luck :thumbup:

PS=14 VR=13 WS=S BS=13 Composite=40S

I essentially did most of the homework suggested by my review course for each section. Once I noted a weakness through topical tests, I would review that section and make lists of things I was particularly weak in to look at in the weeks before the exam again, even if I felt fine after reviewing. I also made flashcards for vocabulary or concepts I was not confident with, although this mainly consisted of orgo vocabulary. I kept track of my wrong answers/right answers I guessed on in BS/PS and took a lot of practice verbal tests to hone those skills.

I used the Kaplan Online Advanced course. I skipped most of the lectures on verbal/writing since their mapping was not helpful for me, since I'm able to read fast enough to get through the passages twice and finish ~15 minutes early on verbal. Mapping just slowed me down and actually hindered my understanding of the passages.

I don't have access to my Kaplan hub anymore, so this is all by memory, so some is vague sadly...
Before any studying I took AAMC 3 to just gauge where I stood and to help me decide which Kaplan course to take and ended up with a 37. After that, my next test was the Kaplan diagnostic, which I got a 29 on. From there, I followed the schedule and took ~5 Kaplan FL's, averaging probably around a 40, with a high of 42 and low of 37 or so. About two weeks before my exam, I switched over to AAMC and averaged around a 39-40 as well, although my scores started lower since the curve is not as forgiving as Kaplan.

Bilogical Engineering (Biomedical Concentration) with a Mechanical Engineering Minor

Make a plan and stick to it. Identify your weaknesses and attack them. Practice makes perfect. Do nothing MCAT related the day before. Take some time to relax.

I took the course over the summer, but due to my internship/other job for money/training for football it probably came down to ~10 weeks for on average 10 hours a week? I'm not 100% sure to tell you the truth.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS=14 VR=11 BS=14 WS=M Composite=39M (well, I guess I know which area I need to work on :rolleyes:)

MWF: Physics and Gen Chem
TTh: Biology and Verbal
I would read EK's review lectures (about one chapter for a corresponding day), take notes (I learn by writing things down, even if I never look at the notes again), and then do the practice questions at the end of the chapter and of the book. When I finished the last chapters for each section's review book, I basically did the same thing over again, two chapters a day, to refresh my memory.

Also, with the MWF/TTh format: I'm pretty strong in bio (TTh) but not too fond of physics (MWF). Organic chem--I wasn't going to review this until the week before my test day since I had just finished the I/II/lab sequence spring semester. Gen chem... is gen chem. Stick it with physics :p

The verbal section, for me, was difficult to work on. I used EK's 101, but the (third edition's) format in EK is pretty different from that in the actual MCAT. I ran out of time on many of the e-mcats and the actual MCAT (which was pretty stressful during the real deal). Er, so what I did to prepare for the VR (EK 101) was not the greatest possible method, but I'm not sure on what else someone could do... read more?

That would probably also help with the essay. In one essay, I think I referenced FF and StarCraft, while trying to write about how video games promoted camaraderie...which they do. ;)

EK, all the way. I used the third edition. Old yes, but I was able to compare content with the newest (7th?) edition a bit after my MCAT and found that most changes were with formatting. I do remember 1 paragraph in the physics book that was in the new edition and not in the 3rd one. Also, the new edition did have 2-4 additional practice problems at the end of each chapter in the review books.

EK's 1001 questions (at least in the third edition) definitely made you understand the concepts more, but their format is very different from that on the MCAT. The 1001 questions are like trick questions, whereas the MCAT is more "you know the concept, can you use it to problem solve, using the info in the passage?" Kind of...? I ended up not using the 1001's a week into my schedule since they were time-consuming but not very useful.

I used all of the e-mcats. :p They were costly but, in the end, I'm glad I did.

In terms of seeing what the actual MCAT will be like, these were extremely helpful... if you simulate a testing environment. Do it! Or else it'd be like wasting $35.

I started taking practice tests one month in (test 3 is free) and increased the frequency to every other day. During the last week, I retook these tests and reviewed answers. The high "scores" the second time around, btw, felt great :smuggrin:. Don't get too overconfident though.

Biology, Society, and the Environment

The MCAT is a beast.

The obvious now stated...know yourself?

For me, I knew that my limit of quality studying, in addition to doing 2 EC's that would also take up a lot of my time, would be about 4-5 weeks. I recommend pushing through the first two chapters in each section in a few days, since they are typically the easiest. Make a schedule, but be flexible.

If you've recently taken Ochem, or any of the other science sections, save it for the end just to brush up on. On the other hand, if you're weak in an area, spread it out (I tried doing that with physics).

I highly recommend EK. And ebay, along with saving money (to use for the e-mcats).

Also, the night before the MCAT, relax! I made A LOT of dumplings for a road trip...it required basically no thinking, and the dumplings tasted delicious after the MCAT :B

5hrs/day for 5 weeks with EK and then practice tests through e-mcats and review for 2 weeks.

1. 34T 12P 12B 10V

2. I pretty much did whatever I felt like and didn't fall into much of a routine regarding what to study on any given day. There are advantages to both. If you are a person that tends to only study what you enjoy, this may not be a smart idea. Conversely, if you are getting in a rhythm with a particular subject, it may be good to keep studying instead of moving onto the next subject, etc.

I don't recommend diverging from your normal study habits to prepare for the MCAT (well, unless your normal study habits suck :rolleyes: but if you tend to do well in school studying the way you do, it will work for the MCAT; that said, don't be too detail oriented since the MCAT is more big picture).

3. All TPR materials, plus the EK Verbal. AAMC average was a 36 so the score was a bit of a downer, but not I don't plan on retaking. I did all the AAMCs, I did P/B off of all of the TPR diagnostics (except for the first few, which I did in their entirety), and I completed their science workbook. Didn't really touch their verbal materials.

4. All of the AAMCs. I did all of the TPR's but skipped some of their verbal sections since they're too stupid and don't compare.

5. Cell and Molecular Biology

6. Treat it like any other test, and don't stress out too much. Things really will work out :D

7. I studied for 6 weeks in earnest; I was taking summer classes in addition to studying for the MCAT and it wasn't really until mid-July that I kicked it into gear (I took it Sept 3). If I could do it again I would start earlier (or not take classes while studying for it). Unless you are super disciplined, I'd definitely take it after studying all summer. I can't imagine how anyone can study for it during the school year. It seems like it'd be hell.

PS=12 VR=11 WS=Q BS=13 Composite=36Q

I used a version of SN2ed's plan modified to fit my life happenings and to accommodate a few extra exams.

Chem- TBR
Orgo- TBR
Bio- EK and TBR for both content and passages
Physics- TBR
VR- EK 101, TPRH
SN2ed's schedule also integrates EK 1001 into it, but EK 1001 questions frustrated me more than they taught me so I stopped using it.

AAMC 3-10, TBR 1-3

(PS/VR/BS)
AAMC 3 13/10/10 33 (taken about halfway through my content review)
AAMC 4 11/11/13 35
AAMC 5 12/11/13 36
AAMC 6 13/11/13 37
AAMC 7 13/8/12 33 (wtf Verbal?)
AAMC 8 12/11/12 35
AAMC 9 13/10/13 36
AAMC 10 12/10/13 35
TBR 1 12/13/11 36
TBR 2 12/12/10 34
TBR 3 12/10/11 33

AAMC Avg 35-35.5 (in that ballpark somewhere)

Average Phase Scores (for you TBRer's):
Chem- 82%/12
Physics- 67%/10-11
Orgo- 78%/12
Bio- 72% (not even going to try to guess what the scaled score might be on this one...)

EK 101 VR- Averaged about a 10-11 on the first ten tests in this book.

Psychology. Minors in chem and music.

Don't freak out on your test! I forced myself the night before to relax and to be relaxed during the test (sounds a bit oxymoronic, I know). Just relax and do your best. Try not to dwell on any one question too long...especially if you're past that section. That is to say, it does you absolutely NO good if you dwell on a PS section or passage during VR. Oh, and IMHO, TBR is the best of the best for the science review and passages.

Also, I found that reading the questions before the passages helped a ton...as it helped me filter out some of the extra stuff thrown in the passage just to confuse people from the information I actually needed.

Also, for people using SN2ed's schedule: ADJUST THE SCHEDULE TO YOUR LIFE. Don't do it the other way around. SN2ed's schedule is excellent, but it is essentially a skeleton. You need to look at what is going on in your life and adjust the schedule to what fits for you. For example, I wouldn't schedule taking AAMC 10 at 8am the morning after my 21st birthday...

little bit under 4 months

Last edited:
PS=10 VR=12 WS= BS=11 Composite=33
I did not take an diagonostic test untill I was little bit in to SN2ed method. I found that even focusing on one section (PS) full time it was too much. I switched to EK and was able to actually finish it.
EK, TBR and Kaplan- Physics, Biology, Chemistry (more EK than anything)
VR- Kaplan, EK, TPR
WS- Kaplan.
Kaplan and AAMC

Biology

Stay focused

A couple months

Last edited:
figured I should contribute

1) Your individual scores and composite score.
12v-12p-13b. 37

2) The study method used for each section.

Took a PR course, supplemented it with various sections of BR for my weaknesses. Attended each PR course, sounds obvious but you would be surprised.

In general I focused on learning the material well enough so that I could explain it to others. Also, instead of just memorizing equations (in physics & chem) I painstakingly made sure I understood the relationships between variables. Saved me time on the exam and helped me develop intuition which I felt was critical to performing well on the PS.

Didn't feel that stand alone practice problems were very helpful so I stopped doing them early on. Spent the time reviewing and doing full length practice test instead.

3) What materials you used for each section.

Bio: PR bio was simply the best. The in-text questions were very helpful. BR is great for anatomy re-review as it goes into greater detail than PR.

Orgo: Had just finished the course in school so I didn't spend much time on this. Thought the section on lab techniques at the end of the PR book was worthwhile though.

Chem: Used PR first read through and BR helped reinforce everything.

Physics: By far the hardest section for me. I would preread the PR sections before lecture, highlight the chapter after class and read the corresponding BR section a few days later.

Verbal: EK Verbal. Started out with a 9 on the first test and was scoring in the 12-13 range by the final test. Practice, practice, practice. The PR verbal homework was harder than the AAMC practice test and real thing, IMO, so I only completed what was necessary. Consider most test company strategies to be bull, but I was fortunate enough to just get verbal. Definitely recommend being familiar with question types and common answer traps.

The first three PR test: never broke 30 with these. They're harder than the real thing, but would still recommended them. It's nice to see your score and confidence jump when you switch over to AAMC.

AAMC (every test but #3): Started out with 31, finished with a 36. Had a dip in between, don't get discouraged.

Biology

Eliminate distractions and be ready to make sacrifices. Give yourself some flexibility in your schedule that way if you're burning out towards the end you can take a day off without falling behind in your schedule.

Prepare like you're only going to take this once.
No matter your timeline for application you want to get it done the first time if possible. Know too many people in my PR class with a 'I'll get it right next time' approach.

PR class was worth it for me. I was definitely the beneficiary of great teachers, especially in physics. Can't speak for other test prep companies and obviously everyone's experience will vary depending on your teachers.

2.5 months.

2 months of nothing but studying the material. Brutal but worth it.

.5 months of practice test. Wasn't too bad, scheduled fun distractions in between practice test.

PS -13 VR -11 BS -12 -> 36S

Choosing a study method for the MCAT may be analogous to preparing a nice steak dinner. You know you need your steak, wine, potatoes, etc., but the spice and the flavor are the personal tastes that you yourself need to identify in how you learn. For the bulk of preparation, you can find great threads here on 90 day study plans, examkrackers study guide, etc., and these are great guidelines. The spice is up to you.

I was working full time when I studied for it. I used the Examkrackers 10 week study guide to get myself organized and enjoyed the approach. I would study for 2-3 hours after work Monday-Thursday.. take Friday off then probably 5-6 hours on Saturday and practice problems (5-6 hours) on Sunday. One difference was I didn't do any practice exams (except a "diagnostic" which was fairly useless.), and used the time allotted to do more practice.

After the 10 weeks, I had a few more weeks before the exam and did a similar approach of reviewing areas / focusing on problem areas and then doing a practice exam every Sunday (same time of day as my real exam).

I took some days off now and then as life isn't always predictable and always ensured time for the gym, sports, friends, etc. It's a marathon, keep your head in it and keep yourself focused by mixing it up. A night off for a movie is a good thing.

Since I was working I started studying in January I think and took the exam in May.

All the EK materials... I found them great. Used TPR hyperlearning books for physics and chemistry in my round 2 studying to : a) mix it up and see it from a different perspective and b) get a more indepth version of the content

Used every practice MCAT from aamc, they were great help. Not having essays scored was a bit annoying. I was confident in my writing abilities so I wasn't worried. If it's an issue you may want to use a resource that gives you evaluations.

Pharmacy

Look at it as a challenge. Have fun with it. Being able to do practice MCATs, identify weak areas, study them and then do better is good, it's fun to be able to track progress and watch yourself improve. There's ups and downs, but it's how you approach it.

5 months, couple of weeks off. ~15-20 hrs/week.

PS=12 VR=10 WS=S BS=13 Composite=35S

Took TPR Hyperlearning course, from May-June
Did most of the homework after the course (July), because I'm a natural slacker.
Listened to some EK audio osmosis - mostly the topics I needed help with.
Went through AAMC list and filled in blanks by reading mcat-prep.com
Practiced a lot of the writing samples, made sure I had enough examples for every topic (Culture, History, Politics, Law, Ethics, etc.)

TPR Hyperlearning course
ExamKrackers Audio Osmosis
mcat-prep.com
ExamKrackers Verbal and their method. TPR is useless.

AAMC practice exams
TPR exams

Human Bio specialist, psych, neuro

Don't take your undergrad courses lightly (well who does, we want to get in to med school right?) Go through the writing samples list. Practice a lot of verbal and settle on a technique and practice it (don't keep changing techniques like I did). Make a plan and stick to it. Talk to people in the same boat as you - it's motivating.

I studied my undergrad courses like mad. This is what helped me do well in the MCAT, and in my opinion is extremely important. So that would mean 3 years.

Other than that, I studied from May-July and took the MCAT early August.

I'm a spoiled kid, so all I did that summer was study - no job, no responsibilities.

PS -14 VR -13 BS -14 -> 41Q

I read TPR materials for about 5 weeks prior to the test. I was working full-time, but would spend 1-2 hours a day studying. I read easy review stuff first (gen chem, bio), then did stuff I had to relearn (some physics, org). I didn't prepare for verbal until the week of the test, during which I did 3 or 4 practice tests.

If there was a certain section of material I didn't get down after reading once (like those damn kidneys), I would return to that section a week later and reread it.

I used TPK 2007 edition books. I read them cover to cover once, I found them very simple and informative. Kaplan materials seemed to go off-topic and their questions were sometimes nonsensical.

I listened to EK audio osmosis during workouts, but it was not a major part of my studying.

I used the free AAMC test and bought two others.

Mathematics / Microbiology

It's nothing but a test. Knowing the material is the goal; taking 100 practice tests will only help you identify what you don't know. Read each question twice, read the answers twice, and trust your instincts.

5 weeks

Members don't see this ad :)
PS=14 VR=09 WS=O BS=12 Composite=35O

For BS+PS I followed SN2ed methodolgy with the following exceptions:
-Used TPR hyperlearning for content review
-Did not bother to use the 1001 series of EK-I substituted it for TPR workbook discretes
-So I used a combination of TPR science workbook and TBR passages
For WS, the first time I practiced was on test day lol
For verbal: English is my second language so I suck at it. I did 3 passages every morning from TPR and EK.
-TPR
-TBR
AAMC 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10. AAMC 8 had the exact same breakdown as AAMC8.
Biology
Be confident in yourself. If I can do it, you can!
Over the summer while having a full time job.
Please send me a PM if you want more info.

1.I feel like it is important to register as soon as possible for the exam for psychological purposes. In summer 2009 I just studied and said I'd register if I felt I was going to do well but didn't have the stress to succeed like in summer 2010 as a date wasn't fixed. Its kinda like running a practice marathon as opposed to a real one-you put much more energy on the real one.
2.Also, during the exam I suggest you go through the 10 minute tutorial seriously- This allows for your nerves to calm down as for 10 minutes you get acclimated to the environment getting used to reading the computer screen and clicking on the bubbles, I truly feel like this is a HUGE stress controller!

I am retaking the Mcat in jan and have 1.5 months to study. I am planning to work super hard on verbals this time as that was my lowest score. Maybe one section everyday.

Any tips on studying for the other two? Studying every chapter again does not really seem efficient but will end up doing that if I have no other ideas!

PLease help!!

thanks and congrats to all who made it :)

I am retaking the Mcat in jan and have 1.5 months to study. I am planning to work super hard on verbals this time as that was my lowest score. Maybe one section everyday.

Any tips on studying for the other two? Studying every chapter again does not really seem efficient but will end up doing that if I have no other ideas!

PLease help!!

thanks and congrats to all who made it :)

Don't study. Do practice questions. Read the explanations for every single question you got wrong and also those you got right without knowing why.

thank you! what verbal review do you recommend? I have been using Kaplan but wanted to try something else to see if it helps more.

PS=12 VR=11 WS=Q BS=11 Composite=34Q

General MCAT: Knowing the material is only going to get you half-way. It is really worthwhile to understand how to tackle each type of section in the MCAT, which I felt Kaplan was helpful with. Understanding what types of questions will be asked, and how to pick out important details in passages, as well as how to find them again, seemed critically important. It also goes without saying that the ability to maintain clear thinking and focus is paramount; practice full lengths definitely help with this, as does knowing yourself, and what kind of mindset/environment you need to create for yourself in testing.

PS&BS: It was plainly obvious which materials I already knew, which I had a foundation already built in from previous classes, and which I had trouble with. I worked on the materials I did not know, or did not know well first. I then simply reviewed everything regularly, dividing sections.

VR: Like everyone has said, practice. The main issue I had to work with was simply pacing, at first going too slow, and then too fast. Again, timing came with practice.

WS: I didn't really focus on this much, I really only did a few practice essays trying to ensure my timing was ok and that I was able to follow the directions.

Kaplan, Examkrackers for bio review and VR. I loved Examkrackers, I can't recommend the 101 passages highly enough.

Kaplan and the AAMC's

Bio

Know your how you study best and what has and is working for you. Make an environment for yourself that's conducive to your particular needs to get the most out of your time. Don't get discouraged and don't get intimidated, just focus and you'll be fine.

Aprox 3 months, fairly light studying and review the first two, hard core the last month.

Wait so when you said you finish one subject at a time does that mean you didn't touch any of the other subjects? As in for weeks you first finished for example, biology exam kracker book completely before moving onto the next subject for ex: chemistry?

PS = 13, VR = 15, WS = S, BS = 13, composite = 41S :)wow:)

2) Study method used for each section

With the exception of VR, I used the same general method/schedule for all of the sections. I would read/annotate one lecture from the EK manual, complete the quizzes, and do the 30-minute exam. The next day I would go over the same lecture but only skim/review the material I highlighted and then do about 20 questions from the 1001 Questions book. The next day I would begin a new lecture.

I only worked on one subject at a time (i.e., I would work through the biology manual and then move on to the next subject). After I worked through all the lectures as described above, I would spend a week reviewing all of the material from the manual. I would usually go through 1-3 lectures per day, depending on the topic and the length. Each lecture from the ochem manual, for example, is fairly long, so I would only go over one lecture each day. The biology lectures were generally shorter, so I would go over three lectures per day. I would spend two days going over the material, exactly as described above.

I had about two extra weeks at the end of my study time, so I used that to go over whichever sections/subjects I felt like I needed the most help with.

I took a full-length practice exam every other week up until the last two months. After that point I was doing one full-length each week. Full-lengths are by far the most important thing to do. Even if I was behind on my schedule, I would always make time to take a practice exam.

I did essentially no studying for VR. I did two of the exams from the 101 Passages book, but then decided that it was a waste of time and my VR score wouldn't improve. I was averaging 11-12 on my practice exams. ...yeah, I don't know where the 15 came from either.

3) What materials did you use for each section?

All EK: EK manuals and 1001 Questions (or 101 Passages for VR)

EK paper exam that came with the EK pack; Princeton online exam; AAMC 3-5, 7-10

Biochemistry

6) Any other tips you have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

Be confident. The amount of material tested on the MCAT really isn't that much. It's overwhelming at first, but it's definitely doable. Most people that see my score think I'm superman or something - it's simply not true. I put my time in, worked hard, and the results paid off. Don't doubt yourself on your ability to do well. If you put in a solid effort and are true to yourself about how hard you work, you'll get what you're looking for.

I began studying the last week of December for a May 1 test date. Admittedly, there were probably 3-4 weeks during that time where I did little to no studying due to lack of time since I was taking a full load of classes and doing a bunch of ECs. For the most part, though, I studied every day (see above schedule) for 1-2 hours.

I've had OVER9000 people ask me for my study schedule, and unfortunately I had to refuse them because I thought I lost it. However I happened upon it today while going through old laptop backups, and I've attached it to this post. Just FYI, the Kaplan sections correspond to the EK lectures (i.e., they both cover the same material). I stopped using the Kaplan sections pretty early on and simply went over the EK material again.

Good luck!

Attachments

• MCAT Study Schedule.pdf
    478.6 KB · Views: 3,044
PS=10 BS=11 VR=13 WS=R Composite=34R

Books: I bought (much to my bank accounts chagrin) a full set of Kaplan's books (through an earlier course I took in the summer before, though I stupidly didn't go to many classes and didn't pay attention/study), a set of EK books (all the 1001's, their Bio book, and the 101 VR passages), and a slightly older set of TBR books (all but their bio, EK version is much more concise and true to the test).

What I actually used: TBR, Kaplan practice tests, EK bio, AAMC practice tests (all of them)

Bio: EK for overview, some 1001 Q's for review
Gen Chem: TBR, without fail an amazing investment
Physics: again, TBR, it was sooo helpful
Orgo: TBR, some Kaplan (their SN2/SN1 etc was pretty good)
VR: towards the end I did a few (read: 2, I was getting tired) VR passages and used the Kaplan passage mapping strategy loosely
WS: Kaplan writing strategy=awesome, plus a generally good vocabulary and a psych major that required lots of writing/reading. Kaplan has their students make a "database" of examples you can apply to most of the prompts and though it may seem hokie--do it.

Most of the kaplan tests, and all of the AAMC. I strongly, strongly feel that most of the kaplan tests, other than practicing some random material you probably won't need to know and getting a feel for testing, are useless. The later AAMC's are so much closer to the actual test and include the suprisingly realistic "where on the periodic table is: " questions that surprisingly appeared on my mcat. Also, some of the later AAMC tests (and my actual MCAT) had a more VR style to their BS and PS passage-based questions (which was surprising to find on test day, but not scary for me as the VR section was my strength...)

Psychology + pre-med courses, but I graduated in 2007 and took the mcat in 2010...so it'd been a while.

Relax. I didn't find the test to be all that bad, or maybe I just didn't let it psych me out...the questions aren't that crazy-difficult, if you know the basics down cold you can usually apply them to new questions/passages appearing on exam day. Also, I strongly, strongly recommend The Berkeley Review (TBR). You can get the brand spankin' new set for ~$300 off their website, or sometimes there are used copies floating around SDN in the "for sale" section. I bought a set from 2009 off SDN (which I still have- if anyone wants to buy mine, just PM me) for around $150, and when I compared it to my friend's new set they were nearly identical. They will prepare you to get a 31+, because the questions they ask are the harder versions of AAMC/kaplan, but still doable and likely to be seen (I actually remember seeing some similar gen chem q's on my MCAT...now that I think of it). Also, start practicing a few WS--just to get the kaplan method down (I'm talking like 2 or 3 times close to test day, not one a week or anything crazy).
I only studied for 30 days, and had to revise my schedule a bit after a few weeks, but I usually managed to fit in BS stuff in the am and then PS stuff in the afternoon and finished everything with 2 weeks to spend on tests. It can be done, you just have to stick to a 8-5ish schedule, and do weekend work :).

1 month

41Q (14 PS, 13 VR, 14 BS)

BS: I did around 150 questions a day alternating between EK1001 Bio and EK1001 Orgo. Then I focused my studying for that day around my wrong answers, making a list of concepts I still didn't feel like I knew. I also reviewed from EK Bio and made a flashcard set for each organ system. I had just completed Orgo so any questions I had there I reviewed from my textbook.

PS: I went through EK1001 Chemistry in the same manner as Orgo and Bio. Between the answer explanations and a little Google I managed to refresh my previous Inorganic Chem class. For Physics, I found Nova Physics (which has both questions and lessons) very helpful. I supplemented with a few videos on Wiki Premed to explain some confusing E&M concepts.

VR: I did a few tests from EK Verbal though most of my practice for this section came just from practice tests.

To summarize, EK1001 Bio, Orgo and Chem, EK Bio, EK Verbal & Nova Physics.

AAMC 3-10. Scores ranged 29-38. My actual section scores matched my best score for that section across practice tests (just lucky I guess).

Neuroscience (philosophy minor)

I think the single biggest thing that helped me was learning how to answer an MCAT question, and this just came from taking the practice tests, and to a certain extent EK questions. MCAT questions do have a certain feel to them and it's a huge confidence booster on the real test to know that you have the ability to figure out what the question is really asking and to avoid the carefully-laid traps.

Set a (reasonable) schedule and stick to it, taking into account other events in your life.

Do your practice tests with timing on. The one major difference I found between the practice tests and the real thing is that the real thing was the first time I needed every second to answer.

Go back over your answers. Every time I took a test I would make a least a few silly mistakes that I didn't always catch. On the real thing, you definitely want to keep these from dragging you down.

2.5 months over the summer. The first six weeks were spent working full-time and studying. The final month, I made the MCAT my job, including taking my books on vacation. Actually, on the beach was where I did some of my best studying.

Last edited:
I'm not going to call out anyone specifically, but I'm getting a strong vibe that there are a bunch of competitive pathological liars on this forum that make up extremely high MCAT scores which is NOT cool. Stop trolling.

I'm not going to call out anyone specifically, but I'm getting a strong vibe that there are a bunch of competitive pathological liars on this forum that make up extremely high MCAT scores which is NOT cool. Stop trolling.

I feel like this has been addressed many times... Don't you think that people who get high scores are the same type of neurotic people who like to hang out on SDN? Also, don't you think those high scorers are likely to plaster their scores all over MCAT-related threads?

82,004 people took the MCAT in 2010 according to AAMC. A score of 38 puts someone in the 98.5-99.1 percentile of all 2010 tests; I assume this is the type of score you find incredulous. While 38 is a great score, there were between 738-1230 people who scored 38+. Even if only 5% of those people were on SDN, you're looking at 37-62 people and they ALL want to brag about it.

I don't think people are lying in here. There would be no benefit to it.

What's really reassuring is how many people used a mixture of materials and studied on your own. I started reading these posts looking for people in my same shoes and was surprised at how many used the SN2ed method.

Maybe it's not true for everyone, but a course might not really do that much after all. For a third of the money, you can get EK verbal, EK verbal 101, EK bio, BR bio, BR o chem, BR physics, Br gen chem, the PR class workbooks (used), and then buy the AAMC exams and some BR CBTs and do as well if not better than had you taken a class.

Thanks to everyone for posting your replies! I'm actually excited at the thought that self prep is as good as (maybe even better than) a review course.

MCAT: 12 Physics, 10 Verbal, 13 Biology on June 17, 2010
Kaplan course during the semester but wasn't able to keep up with the assignments due to how close the classes were bunched together (snow days) and school work during the semester.
With a month left after the semester was over I locked myself in the house and studied every day. completing all the AMCAS tests and some kaplan ones. did practice tests every other day (skipping the writing section for most of them). read all the kaplan review books. focused mainly on physics b/c that was my weak point. got 6s on my diagnostic... in kaplan diagnostic i got a 23.
looking back at it, that month in the summer studying 10 hours plus a day was pretty bad. some days i felt like i didn't absorb any material at all. i would much rather have spread the work out more but i am definitely happy with the results. i thought the real exam was much harder than the amcas tests and closer to the kaplan questions in difficulty. high score i got for practice (amcas one) was 38 and low was 30. after the real exam, i felt like i did terrible especially in physics. kind of panicked during and after the physics section but went to the bathroom during the break splattered some water on my face and pulled it together. i especially thought the bio section was a lot harder than the amcas ones.
good luck :luck: on your studying. pm me if you have any further questions.
reading score i got R. i just tried to write as much as i could (from a tip i got from someone). supposedly the computer grader takes into account how much you wrote...
forgot to add: i did ek 101 passages about 12 of them. high score: 12 low score: 9

Last edited:
i feel like this has been addressed many times... Don't you think that people who get high scores are the same type of neurotic people who like to hang out on sdn? Also, don't you think those high scorers are likely to plaster their scores all over mcat-related threads?

82,004 people took the mcat in 2010 according to aamc. A score of 38 puts someone in the 98.5-99.1 percentile of all 2010 tests; i assume this is the type of score you find incredulous. While 38 is a great score, there were between 738-1230 people who scored 38+. Even if only 5% of those people were on sdn, you're looking at 37-62 people and they all want to brag about it.

+1

1) BS=12, VR=11, PS=7 WR=M. Composit=30M

PS&BS: practice tests for a few hours a day the week before the exam, that's it.
VR: Same

3) No materials used, except for a handful (4) practice tests.

AMCAS the official ones

Health Promotion and Education

Don't kill yourself. Just be calm, focused, deliberate, and relaxed. A great score should be well within your reach if you can get over the stress.

1.5 weeks.

Though, I'm curious if the low PS will look back for MD apps...

Yes....but at least PS is generally considered the LEAST important subscore to most med schools (BS≥VR>PS & MCAT≥cGPA>sGPA) per the most recent AAMC survey of med school admissions.

PS=13 VR=10 WS=Q BS=12 Composite=35Q

PS: Physics content review, and passages for both
V: None
BS: Content Review and Passages

Chem- TBR
Orgo- TBR
Bio- EK for both content and passages
Physics- TBR

AAMC 3,7-11

Chronologically:
(PS/VR/BS)
AAMC 3: 11,10,10
AAMC 11: 10,11,11
AAMC 7: 12,10,12
AAMC 10: 12,11,11
AAMC 9: 12,11,12
AAMC 8: 14,14,14

Chemistry conc. in biochemistry

Don't freak out, it's one test. Luckily I don't get test anxiety. I know a lot or people who score much higher on AAMC practices than the real thing simply because they stress too much on the real day.

Also, I studied from Dec 31st-Jan 28th for my exam. Yes, it is doable to get a very good score in a month - it's simply a matter of dedication.

4 weeks, but over winter break.

Great score and good advice :) The first thing I saw in your post was that anomalous 14,14,14 on AAMC 8 and I was like OMFG!

By the way, to those who are worried about it, a mid-thirties score is excellent and schools recognize that scores of like 37+ are often pretty dependent on luck. Just aim for a solid score, you don't need a 42 to get into any school you want.

9P/11V/P/11B= 31P

I followed SN2ed's schedule as best I could. I was taking some classes, so at times I had to double up subjects in one day.

Bio: EK for review, TBR passages
Ochem: TBR
Physics: TBR, with TPR to clear up some details
Chem: TBR
Verbal: EK 101 and TPR

AAMC 3-11. I wish I had bought aamc 6 while it was around though.

Biochem

Practice passages are where the gold's at. The first time I took this test, I used mainly TPR, but I didn't do enough practice problems. I thought I was prepared, but ended up with a 24M. After that, I just buckled down and used the advice on SN2ed's sticky. Long read, but it's definitely worth it. The actual MCAT is really just a reading test, with very few "give me" questions. Have to get the mind conditioned to concentrate for those long periods of time.

Also, I didn't have time to do it, but I really wish I did all the EK 1001 questions. It probably would've raised my physics by a point at the very least.

3 months, about 3-4 hours a day. Probably increased it to 5 hours the month before the test.

13P/10V/P/11B= 34Q (Jan. 2011)

An alternative version of SN2ed's schedule as I was taking 19 credits, running Division I Cross Country, doing research, and squeezing some volunteering hours.

Instead of studying for 3 months, I started studying on late August, usually 4 or 5 days a week (great bulk of it was done during the weekends).

Bio: EK for review, TPRH passages, EK 1001
Ochem: TPRH and EK for review (didn't study much)
Physics: TPRH and EK for review, TPRH passages, EK 1001
Chem: TPRH and EK for review, TPRH passages, EK 1001
Verbal: EK 101 and TPRH

AAMC 3 to 11:

AAMC 3 - 31
AAMC 4 - 34
AAMC 5 - 31
AAMC 7 - 34
AAMC 8 - 36
AAMC 9 - 37
AAMC 10 -34
AAMC 11- 35

Average: 34 -- Median: 34 -- Mode: 34

Microbiology

Practice, practice, practice. Eventhough you've to have a good base of knowledge in every section, is the skils that you develop while doing passages and discrete questions that will build up your confidence and make you more experienced with respect to actual format of the test. Spend most of your time practicing and reviewing your answers as this is the only way you can target your weaknesses.

Study Organic. I was reading all over this site that for the most part the stuff tested in the MCAT about organic is pretty basic, but my test was swamped with a lot of biochem stuff (information that i didn't cover in class).

Do as many Verbal passages as you can under timed conditions. I made a big mistake by only start studying for verbal only with four weeks until test date and it showed up in my score. It takes a while to develop good skills for the Verbal section so you better start early.

Finally, don't freak out during the actual exam. The real MCAT is much harder than any of the AAMC practice tests (verbal feels longer, BS is more convoluted, even PS throws you off a little bit). The important thing is to be tough during the test and realize that you've spent a great deal of time studying for it. If you're feeling bad, most likely everyone taking the same exam is feeling the same way, and the "curve" might be higher. After finishing the exam, I felt that there was no way in hell that I scored more than a 30 as the exam didn't feel like any of the practice test.

5 months, 3-4 days/week (avg. 4 a day) for the first 3.5 months and then 6 days/week (avg. 6 hours a day) for the last 6 weeks.

. The real MCAT is much harder than any of the AAMC practice tests .

The passages that are in any of the big prep companies (TPR/EK/TBR) are for the most part harder than the real MCAT.

So, passages in EK, TBR, and TPR are harder than the real MCAT, and the real MCAT is harder than AAMC practice tests...

So the practice passages in the review books are harder than the passages on AAMC exams?

12PS 8VR 12BS - 32M

PS: I mostly studied for the PS. I did the all problems in the physics and gen chem book. It took an entire day to do each.

BS: I didn't bother studying the O-chem because it would be insane to review all the stuff. I just looked for the main concepts in the EK O chem book. That took about 2 hours. Did the same thing for biology, and focused on female hormones. That was my weak area and the MCAT seems to like that stuff.

VR: I did some passages from EK. Didn't spend much time on this.

Writing: No preparation.

Bio: EK
Ochem: EK
Physics: EK
Chem: EK
Verbal: EK

AAMC 3, 9, 10.

Human Physiology and General Science

It's impossible to know all the stuff on the MCAT, so don't even bother studying too much. (Unless you plan on spending thousands of dollars and months grinding through stuff.) Know the concepts of stuff you learned, don't just memorize everything.

Train yourself to read science passages so that you get used to it.

You got to know your physics. I understood and memorized most of the red physics equations in EK.

The MCAT is really testing your ability to comprehend new material and use that information to solve problems. I didn't learn about half the stuff on my MCAT, but I could use reasoning skills to solve them.

3 days a week for 4 weeks. About 4 hours/day. I really focused two days before the MCAT, redoing all the problems in physics and gen chem.

So the practice passages in the review books are harder than the passages on AAMC exams?

Oh definitely. Everytime I'll practice passages from the review books, I'll tend to miss 1-2 questions per passage (about 25% of the questions after doing several passages).

On the other hand, my scores on the AAMC exams showed that I missed on average 15% of the question in BS and less 10% of the questions in PS.

I feel like this has been addressed many times... Don't you think that people who get high scores are the same type of neurotic people who like to hang out on SDN? Also, don't you think those high scorers are likely to plaster their scores all over MCAT-related threads?

82,004 people took the MCAT in 2010 according to AAMC. A score of 38 puts someone in the 98.5-99.1 percentile of all 2010 tests; I assume this is the type of score you find incredulous. While 38 is a great score, there were between 738-1230 people who scored 38+. Even if only 5% of those people were on SDN, you're looking at 37-62 people and they ALL want to brag about it.

hmm, I'm not sure about your last stat man....is 5% of all ppl on sdn. Although there might be a biased selection (ie. more top students are on sdn), I don't think 1% or even 0.1% of all premeds are on sdn.

hmm, I'm not sure about your last stat man....is 5% of all ppl on sdn. Although there might be a biased selection (ie. more top students are on sdn), I don't think 1% or even 0.1% of all premeds are on sdn.

I agree that <1% of premeds are probably on SDN. What I was saying was that I'll bet >5% of 99th percentile MCAT-scorers are on SDN, because this site selects for neurotic overachievers.

point missed...

You're missing the point of the post; however, we actually do appear to have a good fraction of the premed population on SDN. Per SDN stats, there are currently 8,786 members self-categorized as "Pre-Med" that have posted in the past 2 years (i.e., it is likely they have been pre-med status within the past 2 years of college). Most of these, of course, have posted only a few times (maybe only once). If we assume the population of [viable] premeds to be those who take the MCAT (60-80k/yr), then we have ~280k viable premeds at any given time. 8786/280k*100% = ~3.1% of the (US) premedical population is on SDN. Since SDN tends to be self-selective, it is probably safe to say that a large portion of those ~3% make up [part of] the top 10-20% of premed students overall. (Of course, we are assuming here that no "non-viable" premeds are registered on SDN, which is obviously a false assumption, but this at least gives us a ballpark estimate.)

PS=13 VR=11 WS=R BS=13 Composite=37R

I alternated between PS and BS every other day and did 2-3 verbal passages a day. I would budget two nights a week for relaxation. Studying for the MCAT is like working out--you need some breaks in between to allow your noggin to rest and your sanity to be kept intact =)

For writing, ehh... I felt confident in my writing abilities so I actually never wrote a full essay under time constraints... Perhaps I should have in retrospect if additional practice would have nabbed me a S or T.

I used Examkrackers set first with 101 verbal passages. I highly recommend the biology and verbal books. Biology is comprehensive for the basic content review, and the verbal strategy is gold. I went through the TPR Hyperlearning verbal book as well but found the strategies to be too laborious and involved. Just my 2 cents.

EK g./o. chem and physics are not as good... I had a solid foundation from my undergraduate courses, so I didn't find most of material challenging. However, there were sections that I never covered in my classes. My school runs through gen chem in a single semester so I never saw colligative properties before MCAT studying and felt especially weak on electrochemistry. Also, the EK physics lenses section is junk; I highly recommend understanding the theory through a textbook (ie University Physics or Giancoli) to better grasp the difficult lens problems.

As a supplement, I bought the Berkeley Review books for g./o. chem and physics weak points. Unfortunately, I only skimmed these books for my weak points. Had I had additional time, going through these books might have given me an extra 1-2 points in BS/PS.

Before I started my MCAT studying, I took the EK practice test that comes with the set and scored a 26. I then took AAMC #3 after my first round of content review during winter break and scored 33. Three weeks before my actual test, I took #7 and scored a 37.

I would highly recommend doing as many practice tests as possible (learn from my mistakes!). If I had to restudy for the MCAT, I would spend a great proportion of my time taking practice tests.

Biology

Make a realistic goal for yourself and keep in mind that the MCAT is the limiting factor for many medical school applicants. The difference between 2-3 points may make the difference between being admitted and rejected. Those 2-3 points amount to around a month of studying on average. Put in the necessary time and understand that this is your future, not your family's or friends'.

Also, some of your fellow peers (either at your school or on SDN) state that the MCAT is a horrible indicator of medical potential. False. The material may not accurately reflect your future abilities as a physician but they do demonstrate the vital underlying skills/traits: work ethic, discipline, reasoning and mental fortitude. Moral of the story is to not make excuses for yourself. Approach the MCAT as an opportunity to display your academic potential instead as an overbearing obstacle.

I used 2-3 weeks of summer for content review and all of winter break to finish the material + practice problems. My timeline was not ideal so I had to rely on my educational foundation and reasoning skills more so than brute studying. For the average student who has finished all her/his basic science courses, I would say 10 weeks of dedicated studying will allow her/him to near her/his MCAT peak.

You're missing the point of the post; however, we actually do appear to have a good fraction of the premed population on SDN. Per SDN stats, there are currently 8,786 members self-categorized as "Pre-Med" that have posted in the past 2 years (i.e., it is likely they have been pre-med status within the past 2 years of college). Most of these, of course, have posted only a few times (maybe only once). If we assume the population of [viable] premeds to be those who take the MCAT (60-80k/yr), then we have ~280k viable premeds at any given time. 8786/280k*100% = ~3.1% of the (US) premedical population is on SDN. Since SDN tends to be self-selective, it is probably safe to say that a large portion of those ~3% make up [part of] the top 10-20% of premed students overall. (Of course, we are assuming here that no "non-viable" premeds are registered on SDN, which is obviously a false assumption, but this at least gives us a ballpark estimate.)

o, wow, I stand corrected guys, I'm sorry. Probably should of calculated the stats before I posted...lol.
Actually, I just realized that (and this is why I'm posting) it really matter's not whether other people are slightly inflating their score. I mean, most of the advice given make a lot of sense. Its all up to the reader to evaluate this advice and decide to take or leave it. (hmmm....I fell really stupid now....maybe this is why I shouldn't make late night posts)

I agree that <1% of premeds are probably on SDN. What I was saying was that I'll bet >5% of 99th percentile MCAT-scorers are on SDN, because this site selects for neurotic overachievers.

And frazzled under achievers.

I'd say there's a pretty good mix. Look at the chances forum for proof.

And frazzled under achievers.

I'd say there's a pretty good mix. Look at the chances forum for proof.

Oops! I didn't mean to leave them out. You're right, it's an interesting bimodal distribution. Many average premeds probably don't end up on SDN, but people come here when they really need (1) ego massages, or (2) genuine help. I suppose each one of us falls into each category at different points in the journey :)

Status
Not open for further replies.