What type of cases will I see?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

COIDfeet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I live in a small town (pop. around 20K -25K) what type of cases will I be seeing? There are currently two groups of ortho surgeons in town, totaling 10-12 ortho docs. Is there any chance that I would see the "cool" cases that are seen in much larger cities?

On a somewhat separate note, what options exist in the realm of pediatric podiatry?

Members don't see this ad.

If I live in a small town (pop. around 20K -25K) what type of cases will I be seeing? There are currently two groups of ortho surgeons in town, totaling 10-12 ortho docs. Is there any chance that I would see the "cool" cases that are seen in much larger cities?

On a somewhat separate note, what options exist in the realm of pediatric podiatry?

The type of cases that you see will pretty much depend on the type of training the person that you are shadowing has received.

That is a lot of ortho surgeons for such a small town.

No significant input. Just thought I'd mention that.

I grew up in a town of 25k and we had 4 orthopedic surgeons!

Members don't see this ad :)
The type of cases that you see will pretty much depend on the type of training the person that you are shadowing has received.

I should have clarified. I meant to ask: What type of cases will a DPM finishing school/residency in 7 years see? I've been accepted to school, but I'm just trying to get a general feel for the types of cases seen in different demographics.

Speaking from my experiences shadowing podiatrists and having gone through NYCPM, I can tell you that the differences in cases can be tremendous based on the area and population of patients.

I am from a small town in New Jersey where the local podiatrists see cases ranging from bunions and hammertoes to flatfoot reconstructions and sports medicine type injuries. Having rotated through the NYCPM clinic and hospitals in the greater NYC area, I can tell you that there is a ton of diabetic wound care, Charcot reconstruction, and much more trauma, though you will still see bunions and hammertoes. Also, given the vast population of people coming into NYC, the chances of seeing congenital deformities, both in pediatric and adult patients, is high as well. Mainly, I have seen a lot of clubfoot deformities.

These differences in cases, in my experience, are attributable to the socio-economic status of these patients. In the urban hospitals of NYC, patients are often not well educated, poorer, and covered by Medicaid. In the suburbs of NJ, patients are more educated, affluent, and covered by private insurances.

Hope this gives you an idea of what's out there.