Interesting case... of cardiac rupture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matt_mt19

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A case from the other day... had some great teaching points, and interesting videos to go along with it... thought I would share.:eek:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

US teaching case - CARDIAC

34 y/o female to the ED by EMS after jumping from a third floor window, landing on her chest.
-- Hemodynamically stable en route. Complained of severe midsternal chest pain radiating to her back.
-- On arrival she was cool, pale and diaphoretic with a thready carotid pulse.
-- Physical exam was otherwise unremarkable.

-- FAST examination (copy and paste the link)

http://www.youtube.com/v/RfKL3Y94fi4

-- Revealed large pericardial thrombus and right ventricular collapse consistent with pericardial tamponade. No intra-abdominal free fluid was identified.

-- The patient quickly developed refractory hypotension. Emergently intubated.
-- Pericardiocentesis unsuccessful, presumably 2/2 a large amount of clot w/n the pericardium.
-- PEA arrest. -- ED thoracotomy. -- Pericardotomy and clot removal. -- Massive exsanguination from posterior aspect of the heart.
-- Packing was placed, and return of a strong carotid pulse was noted. (Massive volume repletion)
-- To the OR where the left thoracotomy was extended by clamshell sternotomy and right thoracotomy.

* Viewer discretion advised * (copy and paste the link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsDEgtXylGM
-- Inspection of the heart demonstrated a large tear extending from the LA to midway down the posterior aspect of the LV.

-- Hemorrhage from this wound proved to be uncontrollable. -- Refractory cardiac arrest before cardiopulmonary bypass could be initiated.
-- Death.

Relevant findings:
o Cardiac tamponade
-- Increased intracardiac pressures -- Limitation of ventricular diastolic filling & ventricular collapse in diastole
-- Reduction of stroke volume and cardiac output -- Significantly influenced by volume & rate of accumulation
** This event is marked sonographically by the collapse of the right atrial and/or ventricular walls during diastole (scalloping) **
** "Swinging heart" -- counterclockwise rotational movement, which occurs in addition to the triangular movement of the heart, producing a dancelike motion

COMMENTARY
This blunt deceleration mechanism could lead to atriocaval disruption, chamber blowout (like this patient had w/ an AV groove disruption -- basically ripping the LA off the LV), rarely a rib/sternal fx with a puncture injury to the myocardium, pericardial sac laceration w/ possible herniation (rumored to be the cause of death of Princess Diana), coronary sinus tears. MOST of these injuries are lethal as they either lead to exsanguination or complete inflow/outflow obstruction.

This case illustrates that pericardiocentesis is ONLY a temporizing move to relieve tamponade --> used to buy time to get this patient to the OR.

Maybe more important if you're in an outside facility without a surgeon, but ultimately the treatment is thoracotomy/sternotomy with direct repair.

Why NOT an ED thoracotomy in this patient ???

-- If this was a penetrating injury & there was evidence of tamponade, then its clear that ED thoracotomy IS indicated for loss of vital signs.

NOTE --> A medical measure is increasing the CVP with crystalloid/blood/clotting factor replacement to counteract the pressure restriction of the tamponade.

• Technical problems of cardiac ultrasound:
o Subcutaneous air o Pneumopericardium o Mechanical ventilation
o Scanning limited by: Pain, immobilization, procedures o Narrow intercostal space, obesity, musculature

• Sonographic pitfalls
o Pericardial vs. pleural fluid o Pericardial clot o Pericardial fat

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome case and cool youtube stuff. Wow.
-Who did the ED thoracotomy? EM or CTS?

EM resident & surgery resident with trauma surgeon on the other side of the bed providing guidance due to sphincter tone irregularities in the EM resident :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Great case, love the U/S footage. Lots of teaching points. Thanks

Awesome stuff. Thanks for posting it.

Was it just me or did anyone else think the surgical images were a little crazy. Blood just kept pouring from the retrocardiac area (I think). I mean, come on, people put a hand on it or something!!! Maybe they thought it would be fun to let the victim pump 500ml of blood into the thoracic cavity in a matter of 1-2 seconds for documentary You Tube purposes.

Was it just me or did anyone else think the surgical images were a little crazy. Blood just kept pouring from the retrocardiac area (I think). I mean, come on, people put a hand on it or something!!! Maybe they thought it would be fun to let the victim pump 500ml of blood into the thoracic cavity in a matter of 1-2 seconds for documentary You Tube purposes.

To the unexperienced eye, it appeared they were trying to find the exact source so they could put a hand on it, but that's just from a lowly 2nd yr.

During that 18 seconds of video the bypass machine was being prepped and they were handing one of the most experienced cardiothoracic surgeons in the nation the materials he had requested. Of note, this patient was in PEA/asystole during the video, though it seems the heart is pumping, thus the site of bleeding was very difficult to isolate, moreover to repair.

Further this video was taken without directly involving the care team for this patient, which was made up of two trauma surgeons, two cardiac anesthesiologists, a cardiothoracic surgery fellow, and cardiothoracic surgery attending, along with 4 resident physicians, thus I believe everything was done in an attempt to save this patients life.

I posted the video in an effort for you to see/realize the view you should strive to achieve when performing an ED thoracotomy. Moreover for you to understand what you could be getting yourself into when opening a chest... this type of injury is VERY difficult to isolate, but hopefully after reading this case, and seeing the videos you won't miss it in the future...

If something like this does happen, isn't it a really really slim chance of them living through it?

Awesome case and cool youtube stuff. Wow.
-Who did the ED thoracotomy? EM or CTS?

I'm a M4, going into EM, currently doing a rotation right now with a bunch of surgeons and we were talking about ED thoracotomies, pericardiocentesis, and pericardial windows in trauma, and after our conversation, I wondered...do EM docs ever do pericardial windows or is this strictly the domain of a surgeon?

If something like this does happen, isn't it a really really slim chance of them living through it?
I'm not sure, but the numbers that bubble up from my brain are "0% to 3%." I'll defer to people who actually know, but for now I'm thinking the same thing you are.

do EM docs ever do pericardial windows or is this strictly the domain of a surgeon?

That would depend on a few things... 1) how badly the patient needs the window (tends to be "VERY MUCH"). 2) the institution (at some places, the "trauma team" is surgeons, at some it's a mix of Surg and EM, and at some places there is no such team), and 3) whether there's a surgeon standing right there with a knife in his/her hand.

So basically, if a patient needs a window to relieve tamponade, there may not be time to call any particular person. It's part of the beauty of EM, really.

I'm not sure, but the numbers that bubble up from my brain are "0% to 3%." I'll defer to people who actually know, but for now I'm thinking the same thing you are.

This case is an example of why emergent thoracotomy is not recommended in a blanket fashion for arrests in blunt trauma. Granted, this case is different, because you had a readily identifiable injury that needed to be addressed surgically. Febrifuge is on target with the numbers...2.5% from one source in blunt trauma. This person, with a multi-chamber cardiac injury, had the snowball's chance in....

On the other hand, the young healthy person who codes in front of you after an isolated stab wound to the heart has up to a 70% survival rate from a single chamber cardiac injury according to some of the data out there. This is the sort of person for whom the ED thoracotomy is truly indicated.