Researchers say antibiotics may not help most patients with sinus infections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM2BE

Elf
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Researchers say antibiotics may not help most patients with sinus infections.

Reuters (3/14, Kahn) reports that physicians "are overprescribing antibiotics for common sinus infections and related conditions, possibly in the false belief they may help in cases where symptoms are protracted," according to a research published in the Lancet. In an analysis, Dr. James Young, from the Basel Institute for Clinical Epidemiology in Switzerland, and colleagues "looked at more than 2,500 people with sinus infection-type complaints who had been treated with an antibiotic or a placebo."

The data indicated that "15 patients would need to be treated before one would be cured with antibiotics," according to the BBC (3/14). The researchers said that, "ecause of side-effects, costs, and the risk of resistance, antibiotics are not justified even if patients have been ill for longer than a week." Some "guidelines advise doctors to prescribe antibiotics only when the patient has been ill for seven to 10 days." The BBC notes that "it has been thought that this length of illness may indicate a bacterial rather than viral infection which would be susceptible to antibiotics."

The researchers said that "upper respiratory tract infections are responsible for a full third of doctor's appointments in the United States, and a third of those visits end in a diagnosis of rhinosinusitis," HealthDay (3/13, Edelson, Mundell) added. Approximately "80 percent of patients receive a prescription for an antibiotic."

WebMD (3/13, DeNoon) quoted Dr. Young as saying that the "findings are pretty sad, in a way, because we cannot distinguish patients who really need antibiotics from those who do not." He added, "All we can say is most people won't need antibiotics for sinusitis."

From ACEP journal.

Members don't see this ad.

From ACEP journal.

no $hit. Holland has the lowest the stringiest policy on antibiotics for all common infection and has the lowest rate of resistant bugs in the western world. I have yet to hear of people dying from sinusitis or bronchitis in Holland..

"15 patients would need to be treated before one would be cured with antibiotics..."

NNT numbers almost always look bad. The NNT for adding Plavix in the face of a STEMI is something like 100 (or more). The NNT for EGDT in sepsis is a little more than 6, if I did my math correctly. Frankly, 15 doesn't sound so bad if it actually provides a cure. The cost would be about $1500 to 3000 bucks a cure. That might actually be cost effective.

Members don't see this ad :)
NNT are only *part* of the picture. They often look bad because they ARE bad in light of how effective they are. For example, teh NNT for plavix in STEMI is also coupled with its NNH. (and its been a while since I crunched these numbers but you have to make sure you don't combine end points, which can give you a better NNT).

An interesting question would be WHAT 15 patients? 15 patients with proven bacterial infections? with URI sx? what is the definition of cure? resolution of symptoms? a negative nasal swab?

Comparing the NNT for plavix and abx for a sinus "infection" is not a worthwhile comparison. Some of the endpoints of plavix therapy are re-infarction and death. For sinus "infections" it's... another few days of URI symptoms. The only patients who have true sinus infections worth considering are either immune suppressed and febrile (CA on chemo, AIDS) or those with mechanical sinus obstruction (nasal packing) who haven't been prophylaxed. Everybody else gets better no matter what you do and have complications so rare that they are worthy of a case report.

As a fun side note, I had a septic patient we were working up, (who incidentally had a nasty looking ekg which turned out to be old) with AMS. He was CT'd and the only source was his sinusitis.....

(he was old and feeble...so..)

first time I have seen sinusepsis. :D

a patient in neuro ICU with brain damage due to an untreated sinus infection.