Definitely failed Step II-- SP fell off the table

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CXJFKHKG

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so here it goes. I was doing the CS exam, everything was going well. For a patient I thought it was necessary to do the Dix-Hallpike maneuver but when the patient was reclining backwards she fell off the table and hit her head. The noise was so loud the proctors come in. I felt so awful-- the SP was actually this nice old lady. They called EMS and took her away in a C-spine stalling up the whole exam, so all the other applicants were upset.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh god! Hopefully you passed and this will just be funny story you tell one day.

If it makes you feel better, there are probably 11 other people out there who are like "Some guy at my CS killed a patient!!! I hope they don't invalidate our test day and we have to retake it :scared:"

:p

Sounds fake, but if you did it then you probably do deserve to fail. Imagine if you had done that to a real patient. Mistakes like that really aren't acceptable, whether your a doctor or an orderly.

I don't even know what a Dix Hallpike maneuver is. When I took Step 2 CS, all I did was listen to heart, lungs, and push people's abdomens. I think I checked 1 person's knee reflexes. Other than that, I didn't do any neuro exams, and certainly not any named maneuvers. And yes, I passed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds fake, but if you did it then you probably do deserve to fail. Imagine if you had done that to a real patient. Mistakes like that really aren't acceptable, whether your a doctor or an orderly.

I don't even know what a Dix Hallpike maneuver is. When I took Step 2 CS, all I did was listen to heart, lungs, and push people's abdomens. I think I checked 1 person's knee reflexes. Other than that, I didn't do any neuro exams, and certainly not any named maneuvers. And yes, I passed.

:eek:

Why are people on SDN so edgy these days.

The stupid SP fell and hit her head. So what? No biggie. We all fall and hit our heads at some point.

Cut the OP some slack.

I think the Dix-Hallpike maneuver is to assess and/or look for nystagmus in a patient with vertigo-like sxs. Looking to differentiate central vs. peripheral vertigo; vertical vs. rotatory nystagmus. Probably a bit too detailed of an exam for the CS, prolly wouldn't get any pts for it I'm guessing, but I don't agree that the OP should be counted out just because the SP fell off the bed. And moreover, I don't think anyone should make the OP feel any worse than they probably already feel...

And you have the nerve to tell others they deserve to fail?

Sure. Something like that can be looked up. A broken neck or head injury can't be fixed so easily. Neither can a failure on Step 2 CS. :laugh:

The OP has to be kidding...right?

(It made me laugh at least...and I would feel bad for laughing if someone really did end up with a C-spine injury).

Honestly if you couldn't finish the encounter b/c the patient fell, then you shouldn't be graded on that one. I don't know what their rules are, but stuff happens, you shouldn't fail b/c of this.

Sure. Something like that can be looked up. A broken neck or head injury can't be fixed so easily. Neither can a failure on Step 2 CS. :laugh:

Don't be such an ***. You weren't there. It may not have been the OPs fault. One of the doctors I work with had a patient fall of the table and break her knee cap...it got infected and she had to have surgery. She didn't blame him.

Don't worry OP, I would think they wouldn't count that. It's not like you threw her off the table. I was almost certain I failed, and I didn't.

Don't be such an ***. You weren't there. It may not have been the OPs fault. One of the doctors I work with had a patient fall of the table and break her knee cap...it got infected and she had to have surgery. She didn't blame him.
Don't worry OP, I would think they wouldn't count that. It's not like you threw her off the table. I was almost certain I failed, and I didn't.
I agree...of course a lil ole lady getting injured is not funny, but the OP's anecdote is hilarious. If it happened, it was clearly an accident and I think you'd have to have serious issues to construe it as something more.

i hope the OP passes the CS, just to impart some humility on you.
also, most of us already know what BPPV is and how it is diagnosed and immediately treated. this knowledge is very important b/c it saves u (and the patient) from having to go looking for a cerebellar stroke (with MRIs) or vestibular neuritis. so maybe you should spend less time on SDN and instead brush up on your clinical knowledge (particularily neuro).