MD/PhD in the US as a Canadian citizen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsydc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

The basic question is which MD/PhD programs in the US accept Canadian applicants? Of those that do, are you set to an infinitely higher standard? I feel I'm a pretty strong candidate from those I've seen in the US, but in Canada GPA reigns supreme, and less than 3.7 in undergrad is a dealbreaker at most schools. If I don't get in this year I'll apply broadly, and I'd like to know what MD-PhD programs in the US are within my reach, if any.

My mdapps is here. Basic stats are 3.57 undergrad GPA, 3.8 Grad GPA, 39Q MCAT.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=09950

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

The basic question is which MD/PhD programs in the US accept Canadian applicants? Of those that do, are you set to an infinitely higher standard? I feel I'm a pretty strong candidate from those I've seen in the US, but in Canada GPA reigns supreme, and less than 3.7 in undergrad is a dealbreaker at most schools. If I don't get in this year I'll apply broadly, and I'd like to know what MD-PhD programs in the US are within my reach, if any.

My mdapps is here. Basic stats are 3.57 undergrad GPA, 3.8 Grad GPA, 39Q MCAT.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=09950

I'm also a Canadian citizen (at McGill, where I suspect you are too), and I've been applying to American programs this past cycle. It is harder for us to get into American MD/PhD programs. For example, Northwestern has 2 spots for international students. The reason is that students are funded by an NIH grant that is only available to American citizens. Thus, if a school wants to fund us, it is out of its own pocket. Wash U is an exception, in that they have enough money not to discriminate based on citizenship. I've heard that AECOM also does not discriminate, but I don't know because I didn't apply there.

You're right that GPA is important in Canada, but I'm not so sure it's any less important in the States. The only Canadian MD/PhD programs I applied to were U of T and McGill. I'm not sure about U of T's GPA cutoff, but I really don't think it was any higher than top American schools. As for McGill, I don't have any idea because of the multiple-applicant-stream system. At least I'm pretty sure there are no ridiculous cutoffs like the ones for Ottawa (3.87 GPA) and Queen's (MCAT writing R).

Judging from your MDApplicants profile, it seems like we have somewhat opposite profiles:you have a strong CV, but a somewhat lower GPA, and I have a fairly high GPA but a very weak CV. So it's hard to compare us.

In all, I think you just have to do some research. More than I did. Look at which programs take international students, first of all, and apply as broadly as you can. I made the mistake of only applying to a few, and now I risk not having any acceptances.

In all, it's tough for Canadians who want to do MD/PhD. The programs in Canada aren't as well-developed as the American ones, but we have a harder time getting into the American ones because of our citizenship.

Apply to Dartmouth. Since the school funds itself, it's open to foreigners (as long as you did undergrad in the US or Canada). As far as I know, they do not care about citizenship when you apply.

Anyone else know Canadian MD/PhDs at their schools?