What does everyone think about my situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xaznxcountx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, okie I have a uphill battle so here it goes:

I thought my GPA was in a little better shape but after calculating it my overall GPA is around a 2.5

I am currently a senior finishing my spring quarter. I will be staying an extra year to boost up my GPA. This summer I will be studying full time for the DAT which I will probably take in October or November hopefully. I want to take the DAT early in case I need to retake it. I will be applying May 2009 since my GPA is nowhere near acceptance.

My 3rd year was the worst with GPA's in the low 2's. During spring quarter I hit an all time low and received a 1.5 GPA.

After hitting rock bottom, I changed my whole gameplan and I'm starting to do a little better.

Here are my stats since the "rock bottom"

Summer Session II 2007 : A- (Molecular Biology) 3.7

Fall 2007

Physics III: C- (going to retake this)
Physics lab: C+
Developmental Biology: B-
Sociologyy: A-

GPA 2.67

Winter 2008

Physics Lab: B-
Human Physiology: B
Organic Chemistry II: B+
Bio research 199: A

GPA: 3.4

As you can see my grades are getting a little better and I feel like I'm finally finding my niche in terms of studying and doing well. I'm pretty sure I can continue to study really hard and get good grades. My question to all you guys is whether by the end of my 5th year lets say I can raise my GPA either to a 3.0 or close to a 3.0 with a good DAT score, do I stand a chance? If my grades show a increase trend towards the end will that look good? Any input will be greatly appreciated thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

It is very slow to raise your GPA. If you have four years of 2.5, it would take two more years of 4.0 to get you a 3.0. I think you have quite a battle ahead to get into dental school. Good luck!

It is very slow to raise your GPA. If you have four years of 2.5, it would take two more years of 4.0 to get you a 3.0. I think you have quite a battle ahead to get into dental school. Good luck!

agreed. Depending on how strong your EC's are and maybe other mitigating factors to your GPA, you may want to look into doing a postbac instead of extending your stay in undergrad. Blank slate in grad school.... Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need to kill your DAT, acing it will not be enough, and you need some good ECs. IMO if you have the ECs and the DAT you will get in.
I have seen 3.0s with killer DATs get into top tier schools.
GOOD LUCK
:D:D:D

i agree with the others on the DAT.

also make sure to get As in the rest of your classes.

all that is left is having good ECs and applying smart.

then i think you should be good.

thanks so much for your input and support. It really means a lot hearing all this. I was really embarrassed and ashamed to put up my GPA but I feel much better that I did after reading the comments. I'm going to study like a beast to get into D-school.

It's really hard to raise your GPA by your senior year.... Even with all A's from now on, it will be difficult to raise it significantly. An upward trend is good... but you'll likely still be sub 3.0.
I think your best bet is to get in to a masters program and do awesome in that. You'll have a separate GPA for the masters....which will show them that you can do well in upper level classes and give you a much better shot at getting an acceptance.
And of course, awesome DAT scores will make things a lot better for you.

Your plight wont be easy.... but it CAN be done. You've just gotta put in the effort and not give up. Best of luck.

thanks so much for your input and support. It really means a lot hearing all this. I was really embarrassed and ashamed to put up my GPA but I feel much better that I did after reading the comments. I'm going to study like a beast to get into D-school.

DON'T BE ASHAMED, first we don't know you and will never meet you and second, suggestions are always great to hear even if there is a cost. Stats can always balance each other out.
good luck again

HI!!!

Yeah, I know how that embarrassing goes. Been there, walked that road. It gets better.

It will be an uphill battle sometimes but just keep the goal in sight, keep your head down, and chug away. It won't be pretty or graceful but whatever, you'll get there.

My GPA was pretty lousy when I committed to dentistry - 2.7 or so with a nice splattering of C's, D's, and W's.

If you want to read my "story", I wrote a quick about me on my blog. I really don't want to rewrite everything so you can just read it there.

http://www.drstudentdentist.com/category/about-the-author/